Start by marking “Somebody And The Three Blairs” as Want to Read:
Somebody And The Three Blairs

Somebody And The Three Blairs

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  202 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
How would you react if Somebody visited your house while you were gone, especially if the Somebody were a bear?
Published September 1st 1994 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Somebody And The Three Blairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somebody And The Three Blairs

Kayla Rhome
Plot Summary:
-The fractured literature story of Somebody and the Three Blairs by Marilyn Tolhurst is a fractured tale that comes from the original tale of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. In this story, the Three Blairs decide to go out for a walk after breakfast one day. Once they leave for breakfast the “somebody,” which is a bear, comes into their house. The bear walks through their house eating their food, sitting on their chairs, using their bathroom, and finding a bed to sleep in until ever
Angela Ball
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit-ed204
(KidLit ED204 category: fairy tale)
"Somebody and the Three Blairs" is a version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, with a fun twist. Instead of a little girl going into the Bears' home, it's a bear going into the Blairs' home! This version was written by Marilyn Tolhurst and illustrated by Simone Abel. In this story, there's a little bit of a different take on the store, such as one of the cereals is too noisy, and then Somebody goes to look for something to play with and something to drink. (In
Lindsey LaMonica
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childerns-lit
Enjoyed and loved this story! "Somebody and The Three Blairs" is a great fractured book of "Goldilocks and The Thee Bears." Instead of having Goldilocks come across the house in the woods, a small bear comes into the Blairs house. I loved baby Blairs comments each time Mr. and Mrs. Blair found something else that "somebody" had gotten into. I love that it's a more updated version of the story, it takes place in a modern home and it makes more sense that its a bear coming into the house exploring ...more
Tori
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it
This story is the opposite of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. However, I did not like this story as much as the other one. I had higher expectations for it, and this one was a little boring. The pictures are nice though, and it would be a good book to read after reading Goldilocks and the Three Bears.
Cheryl
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
(reread) "This pond [toilet] is too small. This stream [sink with tap opened] is just right."
Michelle
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
LOVE this picture book. It's a fun take on Goldilocks and the Three Bears. My children loved it as children and I'm using it in my classroom to explore fractured fairy tales.
Anna
A cute, funny take on the original. Kids will love the baby especially.
Susan Erhardt
The adults at storytime found this more amusing than the kids. I read a version of "The Three Bears" before reading this because I've found that many preschool kids aren't familiar with folk tales.
Sara
Plot summary and personal response:
This is a fractured fairytale based on goldilocks and the three bears, but the twist is that it’s a human house with a bear as the ‘somebody’ breaking in.
I really liked the humor in this story. Particularly Baby Blair’s comments and the interpretations of human things by the bear.

Literary Merit:
Setting: Unlike traditional tales, which take place ‘long ago’ and or ‘far away’, this fractured tale takes place in a fairly modern home with conveniences like a fridge
Lamar Sanders
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Main Characters: The Blair Family, Somebody (the bear)
Point of View: 3rd Person
Setting: The Blair Family's house
Plot: A new twist on Goldilocks and the Three Bears, see Goldilocks replaced by a bear named Somebody and the three bears are replaced by the Blair Family. One day Mr. and Mrs. Blair and the baby decide to go to the park to feed the ducks. While they are out Somebody enter their home and trys out all of their things in search of supreme comfort while making a mess of the house. The fam
Becky B
A bear wanders into the Blairs' house while they are out for a walk. He helps himself to a snack, tries to find a nice seat, tries to find a game, looks for a source of water, and then for a place to nap. When the Blairs return from their walk, they are in for quite a surprise.

I like the twist on the traditional Goldilocks and the Three Bears in this book. The bear is the intruder, and the bear approaches many of the human items as a wild bear would. Food is a toy, shelves full of towels may loo
Taylor Nolan
The orientation of this book is portrait. However, it does not specifically zoom in on one person in an image, but portrait orientation was a good choice because of the layout of the pictures. All of the pages were plain white, except for the color in the images, making those specific items really stand out. The text placement becomes routine throughout the book, and you can basically guess where it will be placed on the next pages. What I found interesting was that there were no borders around ...more
Asho
I wasn't impressed with this adaptation of Goldilocks and the three bears. A bear named Somebody goes into the Blair family's house and uses all of their things while they are out. It's a cute concept, but the execution is poor. The things Somebody messes up don't have the useful relationship that they do in the original story. For instance, we don't have a bed that is "too hard," "too soft," and "just right." Instead of opposites the book presents things like "too noisy" and "too cold" together ...more
Frances
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a cute version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. In this version, it is a family of human beings called the Blairs and they go for a walk in the park. A little bear come in and tries their food, explores their water, sits in their chairs, and sleeps in their beds. The people come home and look for the intruder. When they see him, the bear escapes through a drainpipe. The illustrations are great. I would use it will preschool and early elementary grades. When I used it with my preschool ...more
Abigail Flanagan
Somebody is actually a bear who decides to go into the Blairs's home after they have gone out. He eats their food, sits in their chairs, floods their house, and sleeps in the bed. When the Blairs come home to find the mess, they realize there is a bear in their home. Baby Blair is very excited about this and asks him to come back tomorrow to play.

Somebody and the Three Blairs can be used in the classroom to show the playful side to a story and show that a tale can be twisted. Also, it can be us
Taylor Miller
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Based off of the well known "Goldilocks and the Three Bears", this tale is a fun one to read to a class. There are many voices, even a baby, that you can impersonate to add a great affect to the book. The kids can also make connections between the original story and this spin-off and you could do a compare and contrast activity with this as well. Comparing will just be able to show kids the differences between the versions and be able to teach a lesson through the book.
Deborah Harris
Apr 14, 2012 added it
Shelves: ar-2, a32
AR Quiz No. 7157 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.2 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP

This is a great twist on the three bears. The Blair family went for a walk to feed the ducks. While they were away somebody came to visit their home. In this twist it is a little bear that comes and destroys their home and escapes out the window when they come home. It would be great for lessons an making connections and predictions.
Sarah Benson
I found this adaptation of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, in which the characters are reversed and a bear enters a human house, to be mildly clever, but ultimately fell short of my expectations. The illustrations and text were obvious and repetitive and not changed enough from the original story for me to be very taken with the book. I might be a fun and appropriate book for young children, but i believe there is also better out there.
Mary
Jan 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents looking for a short "one more story" book
This is "Goldilocks and the 3 Bears" in reverse and improves upon the feeling tone of the original. Baby Blair is cute and has the best lines; while Somebody (the baby bear) is a typical toddler, leaving a string of messy disasters in his wake. This is a very short and simple read-aloud book that appeals to 3-4 year olds.
Abbey Smith
This book is fantastic! Somebody and the Three Blairs gives students a whole new perspective on the story "Goldilocks and the Three Bears." I use this story in my classroom to compare simliar stories -- pulling out elements that are alike, and those that are different. My students always find this book funny and interesting because typically they have never heard it before.
Giulana
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a child and still have the book in my collection. I have used it to present at various levels of my education. I truly enjoyed the twist on plots and words and the surprises along the way.

This book is a clever read. It is easy for teachers to read aloud to students or for students to read silently and independently.

I would recommend having this book in your library.
Heather Torgersen
Somebody and the Three Blairs is a reversed twist on the classic Goldilocks and the Three Bears. This would be a great story to read after the original, the the children could compare and contrast the two stories. Though it's an older story, children are so like it, and but themselves in the Blair's position!
Angela Kim
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story is like the Goldilocks and The Three Bears but just flipped around. The three bears become three Blair and Goldilocks the bear. I could not find any morals in this story but what I liked about this book was the repetition that the author used. Also the illustration was about what the story was telling. It would be easy for children to follow along.
Janet
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a take off on the book Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Somebody, a bear, visits the Blairs home and gets into all kinds of mischief. Like so many other books currently being written, the author has presented a twist to the familiar story. This would be a good book to help students learn to make comparison as they look for similarities between the traditional story and this one.
Mandy
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Somebody enters the home of the three Blairs and eats their food, tries out their chairs, and sleeps in their bed. Does this story sound familiar> It may, but something or somebody is much different...Somebody is a bear!

Lends itself to a Venn Diagram comparing and contrasting to the traditional fairy tale.
Whitney Strickland
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: twist-stories
Somebody and the Three Blairs is a unique version of the classic that most of us grew up reading, Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Although the setting and plot is pretty much the same, this story has its own splash of creativity. Children will probably enjoy seeing this version but my guess is that most will prefer the original.
Jen
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents and young kids
Somebody is a bear who pulls a Goldilocks, making a mess in the home of the three Blairs. Read the comments of Baby Blair in a funny voice and the kids to whom you're reading will giggle like maniacs. My three-year-old goddaughter loved it so much that she brought it to school and incited the rest of her class to laugh along with her.
Dan
Apr 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fairy-tale
This story had a different twist because the bear was the one to go into the house. He tries three things for food, but it was not like the original book. He sat in three chairs, made three messes, got into three types of water, and then slept in the three beds. Then the bear left just before the family could catch him.

Great story.
Lorraine Robinson
This book can be used for:
- Comparison to other Goldilocks and the Three Bears stories
- Example of repeating text
- Conversation
- A good read aloud to practice changing voice tone and pitch for different characters
- can be acted out
- Put events in order from 1st - last
T Crockett
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
There are countless variations on Goldilocks and the Three Bears, but this one and Jan Brett's are really the only ones I don't mind rereading. This adaptation adds a little something new, and isn't that really the point of retelling an old story?

The kids love the closing picture
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Once Upon a Time, the End (Asleep in 60 Seconds)
  • Goldilocks Returns