Start by marking “Mercy's Prisoner (Life Prison, Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
Mercy's Prisoner (Life Prison, Volume 1)

Mercy's Prisoner

(Life Prison: Mercy's Prisoner #1-5)

"'You have committed a vile and savage act, one that any other nation would punish with death. Our punishment, on the other hand, will only be to give you what you want. You have sought to live in a world without boundaries of civilization, and such a world shall henceforth be your dwelling place.'"

A cold-hearted murderer. A vicious abuser. A young man hiding a shameful se
Published December 2014 by Love in Dark Settings Press (first published August 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Mercy's Prisoner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercy's Prisoner

Start your review of Mercy's Prisoner (Life Prison, Volume 1)
Julio Genao
buddy read with my homeboy gay chuck norris.

the first and the last story were very good—the first being almost entirely excellent and novel.

the middle stories suffered from a lack of dramatic tension and a propensity for self indulgent review of (AU) historical context that didn't really heighten anything.

I am also dissatisfied at there not being a resolution to any of the major arcs introduced with any of the main characters, but apparently this first volume is one of three, and I might see sa
Dusk Peterson
Excerpt:

I had trouble sleeping that night. I don't know why; sleep had always been my one blessing at Mercy, transporting me back to the pleasant days preceding my arrest. I usually woke with a smile on my face. But tonight, tired though I was, I found myself staring up at the ceiling, hour after tedious hour, wishing there were cracks there that I could count.

Some of the prisoners had started a debate the previous year over what was most painful about Mercy. Was it the separation from family an
Fenriz Angelo
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm on a huge reading slump, can't carry around the paperbacks i'm "currently reading" so i went to my kindle library and searched for stuff i've bought years ago and never picked up.

Mercy's Prisoner is not an usual pick of mine and was what i needed at the time to be interested at all in reading the book. I already read the first short story years ago and was left wanting to read more, this volume has stories from other characters that get to interact with Merrick, the main character of the fi
amomentsilence
This review can also be found on my blog:
Reckless Indulgence | of the Written Word

Actual rating is 4.5 Stars.

I may have gotten a little over-excited reading this book. Jus' sayin'.

I was SO unsure of it originally... hoping beyond hope that it would blow my socks off, or at least not be a complete flop. I even had hopes of another Under Grand Hotel situation going on--which it wasn't, by the way, but still. No UGH, but I might have just gotten something even better. (Or at least on par.)

This h
Crystal Marie
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hmm. Different than my usual read, but before I get into that – I want to make one thing clear, Dusk Peterson is a helluva great writer. Now onto what I thought of this bundle of shorts that are all connected by the setting of Mercy’s prison. The events takeplace at the end of the 19th century. First off, while I’m all about historicals – especially M/M historicals because the tension and drama is always right there within a historical setting –this is an alternative history. One of the main di ...more
Love Bytes Reviews
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5 heart review by Dan

I’m not sure what to say about this book. I really didn’t like it much. It took me days to finish, and I’m usually a book or more a day guy. The book is actually, I think, supposed to be five intermixed stories, but nothing ever reaches a closure, none of them have an ending, and characters don’t necessarily flow to the next story.

I think the writing is above average, sentence structure, etc., is spot on, and the author seems very astute at understanding the minds of both
Shari Sakurai
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it
*I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review*

Mercy’s Prisoner (Life Prison Volume 1) is set inside a 1800s prison called Mercy. It is a life prison and those who are sent there have committed the worst crimes imaginable. They will die in prison; escape is impossible and they will never be freed.

Mercy’s Prisoner is a dark read. The prisoners have committed horrific crimes (such as child murder) and due to this the guards feel it gives them the right to treat them appallingly (t
Inked Reads
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
ThreeStar
Borrowing from the author's website, "Life Prison is a speculative fiction series about male desire and determination in nineteenth-century prisons." Each of these things is true.

The world-building is exquisite. Anchored in Maryland is the Republic of Mip and its life prisons, forgotten places where the worst criminals go and pray to die. Dying, though, is outlawed, because it is an escape from punishment.

This is an anthology of sorts. The first protagonist is Merrick, a child-murdere
Monika

Review also posted on http://www.wodfreview.com

Alternative historical, alternate universe, fantasy? All things I love. Sounds like the making of a good story and for some readers it will be. Unfortunately it didn’t work for me. The story was confusing, just as I felt I was getting involved it moved on to something else and I was lost. I didn’t feel like I was reading a historical, alternative or not, if I hadn’t been told the year it takes place I would never have thought it was an historical an
Fenriz Angelo
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book. And so glad the main character is asexual.

I'm interested on read the next books in the future.
Elisa Rolle
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
2014 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Santino Hassell
I encourage 97987897987 people to try this book. It presently has 0 reviews, but the sample is intriguing.
Ally Man
Mar 26, 2015
Jay
added it
Apr 22, 2015
Honored in the Rainbow Awards, Dusk Peterson writes historical speculative fiction with diverse characters: historical fantasy, alternate history, and retrofuture science fiction. Friendship, romantic friendship, and romance often occur in the stories. Visit duskpeterson.com for e-books and free fiction.

A resident of Maryland, Mx. Peterson lives with an apprentice and several thousand books.

Life Prison: Mercy's Prisoner (4 books)
  • Life Prison (Life Prison, #1.1)
  • Milord (Life Prison, #1.3)
  • Isolation (Life Prison, #1.4)
  • Coded Messages (Life Prison, #1.2)