Start by marking “The Relaxed Mind: A Seven-Step Method for Deepening Meditation Practice” as Want to Read:
The Relaxed Mind: A Seven-Step Method for Deepening Meditation Practice

The Relaxed Mind: A Seven-Step Method for Deepening Meditation Practice

Meditators relax! An esteemed modern Tibetan Buddhist teacher presents a system of meditation instructions he devised especially for those affected by the too-fast-paced Western world (i.e., most all of us)—to help them relax, as a way of deepening their meditation practice.

In the late 1990s, shortly after arriving in the United States, it became clear to Dza Kilung Rinpoc
Published November 10th 2015 by Shambhala (first published September 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Relaxed Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Relaxed Mind

Start your review of The Relaxed Mind: A Seven-Step Method for Deepening Meditation Practice
Mike Smith
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There are certain books that have made a deep impact on my meditation practice: Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, Turning the Mind into an Ally, and The Attention Revolution. I am adding The Relaxed Mind to this List. Powerful, precise, and pity, I can't recommend this book to my fellow practitioners enough: may this be of benefit. ...more
Markus Stobbs
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book on meditation I have read in years. A wonderful journey through all the major forms of Buddhist meditation, from simple mindbody awareness to nondual dzogchen.
peter hillebrand
Jan 30, 2021 rated it did not like it
My Peace Corps funded ~therapist~ told me I needed to meditate and then told me to read this book and here are my thoughts:

Meditation: Good, need to start doing it consistently again
Books About Meditation: Bad, no thank you, made me hate reading, just record your thoughts and make them guided meditations

“Favorite” Quote:

“There is really no “how to do it” solution to meditating freely. We are not really correcting anything or applying a remedy.”

(The stuff about Buddhism was cool though)
Scott Broadbent
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very useful book with a fantastic reader on the Audible edition. It introduces 7 meditation practices and emphasizes how important deep relaxation is in each. My own practice deepened considerably from the guidance in this book.
Tim Coil
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the breakdown of levels of awareness that are recognized through extended meditation practice. The book also described Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, and dzogchen traditions which is helpful to understand what type of meditation you will be practicing.
Peter
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent. I will be relistening to this from time to time.
Anne Beardsley
Interesting. I learned a fair amount about meditation and mindset in the early part of the book. After the 40% mark, I felt, the good advice got very repetitive. I also had trouble finding much difference between three of the four last meditations presented in the book.

But it was a very interesting book in many ways, and has given me some new perspectives on methods and reasons behind my own meditation. The writing has a chatty, personable style that I very much appreciated. But I found myself e
JDK1962
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Ok, but, as a secular meditator, not quite what I was looking for. I think this would be of more interest to actual Buddhists. Part 2 gets pretty esoteric.

While I'm interested in deepening my practice, I was not seeing the progression through the seven types of meditation nearly as clearly as the author.
Esther
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading in a class, very good meditation guide for westerners.
Armagan (any pronouns)
Not bad. Relaxing, repetitive, not mind blowing, continuous emphasis on nonjudgmentalism, a little bit of intense theory, lots of animal metaphors for didactic story telling.
Nic
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Practical and interesting book on meditation. As a novice, I found it be be useful and informative from an historical point of view
LotzyLotz
Jeremy Hamman
Apr 16, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Are Prisons Obsolete?
  • Love Notes (Equilibrium #1)
  • Tantra: The Path of Ecstasy
  • Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual
  • No One Here Gets Out Alive
  • How to Fly a Horse: The Secret History of Creation, Invention, and Discovery
  • How Innovation Works: Serendipity, Energy and the Saving of Time
  • Single on Purpose: Redefine Everything. Find Yourself First.
  • The Mindful Athlete: Secrets to Pure Performance
  • What if THIS is Heaven?
  • Zen and the Love of Nature
  • Zen and the Samurai
  • The Forgotten Language: An Introduction to the Understanding of Dreams, Fairy Tales, and Myths
  • Man for Himself: An Inquiry Into the Psychology of Ethics
  • Win Fast: Quick Ways to Achieve More, Earn More, and Be More
  • The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings of Authenticity, Connections and Courage
  • What is Zen?