Start by marking “The Relaxed Mind: A Seven-Step Method for Deepening Meditation Practice” as Want to Read:
The Relaxed Mind: A Seven-Step Method for Deepening Meditation Practice

The Relaxed Mind: A Seven-Step Method for Deepening Meditation Practice

Meditators relax! An esteemed modern Tibetan Buddhist teacher presents a system of meditation instructions he devised especially for those affected by the too-fast-paced Western world (i.e., most all of us)—to help them relax, as a way of deepening their meditation practice.

In the late 1990s, shortly after arriving in the United States, it became clear to Dza Kilung Rinpoc
Published November 10th 2015 by Shambhala (first published September 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Relaxed Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Relaxed Mind

Start your review of The Relaxed Mind: A Seven-Step Method for Deepening Meditation Practice
Mike Smith
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There are certain books that have made a deep impact on my meditation practice: Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, Turning the Mind into an Ally, and The Attention Revolution. I am adding The Relaxed Mind to this List. Powerful, precise, and pity, I can't recommend this book to my fellow practitioners enough: may this be of benefit.
Markus Stobbs
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book on meditation I have read in years. A wonderful journey through all the major forms of Buddhist meditation, from simple mindbody awareness to nondual dzogchen.
Scott Broadbent
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very useful book with a fantastic reader on the Audible edition. It introduces 7 meditation practices and emphasizes how important deep relaxation is in each. My own practice deepened considerably from the guidance in this book.
Tim Coil
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the breakdown of levels of awareness that are recognized through extended meditation practice. The book also described Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, and dzogchen traditions which is helpful to understand what type of meditation you will be practicing.
Peter
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent. I will be relistening to this from time to time.
Anne Beardsley
Interesting. I learned a fair amount about meditation and mindset in the early part of the book. After the 40% mark, I felt, the good advice got very repetitive. I also had trouble finding much difference between three of the four last meditations presented in the book.

But it was a very interesting book in many ways, and has given me some new perspectives on methods and reasons behind my own meditation. The writing has a chatty, personable style that I very much appreciated. But I found myself e
JDK1962
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Ok, but, as a secular meditator, not quite what I was looking for. I think this would be of more interest to actual Buddhists. Part 2 gets pretty esoteric.

While I'm interested in deepening my practice, I was not seeing the progression through the seven types of meditation nearly as clearly as the author.
Esther
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading in a class, very good meditation guide for westerners.
Armagan Kilci
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not bad. Relaxing, repetitive, not mind blowing, continuous emphasis on nonjudgmentalism, a little bit of intense theory, lots of animal metaphors for didactic story telling.
Nic
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Practical and interesting book on meditation. As a novice, I found it be be useful and informative from an historical point of view
LotzyLotz

• Pause, Breathe, Smile: Awakening Mindfulness When Meditation Is Not Enough
  • Invisible Ink: A Practical Guide to Building Stories That Resonate
  • Our Pristine Mind: A Practical Guide to Unconditional Happiness
  • The Science of God: The Convergence of Scientific and Biblical Wisdom
  • The Accomplice (Theodore Boone, #7)
  • No Friend but the Mountains: Writing from Manus Prison
  • Food: What the Heck Should I Eat?
  • All That’s Dead (Logan McRae #12)
  • The Heart of Unconditional Love: A Powerful New Approach to Loving-Kindness Meditation
  • Think, Act, and Invest Like Warren Buffett: The Winning Strategy to Help You Achieve Your Financial and Life Goals
  • Cape Fear
  • Absolute Magic: A Model for Powerful Close-Up Performance
  • When Bad Things Happen to Good People
  • A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy
  • The Art of Living
  • Present Moment Wonderful Moment: Mindfulness Verses for Daily Living
  • In a House of Lies (Inspector Rebus, #22)
  • The Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad #5)

News & Interviews