Start by marking “Hummelo: A Journey Through a Plantsman's Life” as Want to Read:
Hummelo: A Journey Through a Plantsman's Life

Hummelo: A Journey Through a Plantsman's Life

An intimate look at the personal garden of the Dutch landscape designer renowned for his plantings at the High Line in New York City, and Lurie Garden at Chicago’s Millennium Park.

Hummelo—near the village of the same name in Gelderland in the eastern Netherlands—is visited by thousands of gardeners seeking inspiration each year. It is Piet Oudolf’s home, his personal gar
Published May 5th 2015 by The Monacelli Press (first published April 28th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Hummelo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hummelo

Linda
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I met a friend for coffee recently I was reading this book when she arrived at the shop. She asked what I was reading and I showed her the cover — which she stared at blankly, the usual response of non-gardeners. Though the title page of the book includes the phrase, "A Journey Through a Plantsman's Life," you'd be hard-pressed to find a serious gardener these days who doesn't recognize the name of Piet Oudolf, the most famous gardener working in the world today, and his equally famous home ...more
Sherry
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring. Perennial gardens. Curated "natural" settings. Mixing natives and horticultural plants. I wonder, though, whether one day folks will question the wisdom of mixing so many North American native plants into European landscapes. The creeping bellflower invasion in my yard shows the risk of importing Eurasian plants to this continent. I have taken a reading list from this book.
Angela
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: never-finished
I liked this book but had to return it to the library before I was finished. It's pretty long and though the subject matter is interesting to me it's not exactly a page turner...Piet Oudolf is one of my design heroes so it was interesting to learn more about his roots and process. I hope to finish the book at a later date... Till then I'm giving it three stars with the definite potential for more.
Carmen
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: house-gardening
Clearly a man who thinks outside the box, Piet Oudolf describes how he has developed his gardening style. Lots of pictures of his house, gardens and nursery, Hummelo. Inspired by Karl Forster, a German gardener, he took those ideas and ran with them. Luckily the book shows lots of pictures of gardens he has designed, so it functions as a list of places that are now on my "short list" of gardens to go to.
Diana
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book! Review to follow.
Natalie
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
3 stars because I dislike Noel Kingsbury's writing. Love the photos even though many are repeats from other books, and the personal look at the life of this plant-kindred.
Georgie
Charles McCarthy
Oct 17, 2016
Skyler
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, informative, educational, inspirational; I'd give it 20 stars if I could.
Olga Petrenko
Ying Chen
Sep 01, 2018
Valery Kononchuk
Apr 20, 2016
World-famous landscape designer Piet Oudolf is principal of a small landscape design firm in Hummelo in the eastern part of The Netherlands. He has designed award-winning public and private gardens in Holland, Germany, Sweden, Britain, Ireland, Canada, and the U.S. "