Start by marking “Dragon Day (Ellie McEnroe, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Day (Ellie McEnroe, #3)

Dragon Day (Ellie McEnroe #3)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  156 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Ellie McEnroe is an Iraq War vet living in Beijing, where she represents the work of  cutting-edge Chinese political artists. She has one bum leg, a taste for dumplings and beer, and an evangelical mother and a sweet-tempered rescue mutt for roommates. She also has Chinese Domestic Security on her tail and a dwindling number of Percocets to get her through her bad days.

And
ebook
Published August 18th 2015 by Soho Crime

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Day

L.A. Starks
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I cannot begin to say how much I liked this book. It appears to be the third in a trilogy, but I really hope Brackmann decides to write more about these characters.

Ellie McEnroe, a war veteran, is living in China. She represents an artist but is pulled into a billionaire's plan to build an art museum.

Brackmann gets the Chinese setting so dead-on she could be writing non-fiction except that the suspense of who's doing the killing pulls the reader forward.

The protagonist is sharp, self-aware, bit
Karina Buck
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Lisa Brackmann. “Dragon Day” is the third book in her Elllie MacEnroe series, which includes “Rock Paper Tiger” and “Hour of the Rat.” In “Dragon Day”, Brackmann expands and flushes out Ellie’s quirky, damaged, and endearing ex-pat living-on-the-margins-in-China anti-heroine. It’s another page-turning story that finds Ellie unwillingly caught up in intrigue that takes us around Beijing, Shanghai and surrounds, and offers up a fascinating glimpse into contemporary Chinese cultur ...more
Ramsey Hootman
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There's so much goodness packed into this book I don't even know where to start. It's probably my favorite Ellie book so far, although I think the reason for that is because it builds on the other two. (Which is to say, I recommend starting with Rock Paper Tiger!)

I'm always seeking out books with great characters, and Ellie is one of the best. I love her straightforward, no-nonsense manner, her deadpan commentary on the absurdities of modern China, and her "non-gender-conformity," as they call
Nathan Bransford
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome chapter in this cool, fascinating, edgy, transporting series. Start with Rock Paper Tiger and keep going!
Ann Mah
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This terrific fast-paced thriller continues Ellie McEnroe's adventures in China. I read it on the subway, so engrossed I almost missed my stop!
David
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Creepy Johns (not johns!), Chinese one-percenters, evangelical Christians in China
This is the third book in a series about Ellie McEnroe, a former National Guard medic who got fucked up in Iraq, went to China with her ex-Army husband in one of those seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time moves, and stayed because it was easier than going back home.

Like many ongoing series, there is pleasure in reading about the next chapter in the lives of familiar characters, but also a sameness as the author starts stretching for new ideas.

In the last book, Ellie was "befriended" by an eccentr
Deborah Gray
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lisa Brackmann keeps getting better and better and Ellie more fully fleshed as a character in each successive book. Almost fatally flawed and perennially out of sorts, you still want to see her succeed as she navigates the mean streets of China's cities evading bad guys and looking for answers to whatever fix she's landed in this time.

They say there are no new stories, but I find Brackmann's take on plot, character and setting to be refreshingly unique. The meticulous research on contemporary u
Jennifer Prim
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just finished the book, and I'm already in withdrawals. Lisa Brackmann has done a remarkable thing in the creation of Ellie McEnroe. Would I want to be her? Not on your life! But would I want to know her, in all of her flawed awesomeness? Absolutely. The plot for the third book of the trilogy is another intriguing thriller bringing together Creepy John, her potential love interest/potential stalker with ties to the secret police; Lao Zhang, the political artist on the run, who she describes as h ...more
Susan
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this latest Ellie McEnroe thriller. Ellie is back, with her mother in tow, and no matter how much she wants to live on the periphery of the fast lifestyle of her crazy rich clients in Beijing and Shanghai, she can't help but get drawn back into another murder mystery. With a high-level government official on her trail, she doesn't know who to trust as she works against the clock to solve not just one, but two murders.
Kris Herndon
I've loved this series and am sad to see it wrap up. Ellie is a great flawed heroine. Brackmann manages to make her tough and vulnerable without resorting to clichés -- both the toughness and the vulnerability are built deep into the character. I'm with Ellie fans who hope for more in the series someday---BUT I'm also looking forward to seeing what else Brackmann has in store.
Pat
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Let’s start with the fact that I will read anything Ms. Brackmann writes. I love her style, that first person, present tense that puts me right inside a character’s head and right in the middle of the action. It’s pretty intense. And I love her characters. And Ellie McEnroe is near the top of my list of favorite literary characters. Maybe it’s me. Maybe I just have an affinity for broken, rebellious, stubborn, smart women. That’s Ellie. If you haven’t read the first two “Ellie” books, go get the ...more
Monica
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
If this book really is the end of the series, Brackmann is ending it on a high note. Ellie, with her PTSD and her overreliance on Percocet and alcohol, is an appealing protagonist, smart, resilient, loyal and tenacious - and a bit snarky. When Sidney Cao, a billionaire art collector, hires her to investigate the American friend of one of his three adult children, she is reluctant but cannot refuse.

The best things about this book in my opinion are the vivid descriptions of life in present day Sha
Alice Lindsay
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read many mysteries, and I think I have a perspective on the genre. I am not a patient reader and I have a hard time finding something I really like on all the levels that a book can hit. My biggest question about this series is: How is this not a movie???? It really hits the mark. I have to accept that there were only three in this series but I hold out for the possibility of meeting Ellie McEnroe again. Seriously, this is a wonderful story with action, character, introspection and reflection ...more
Ramona
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a goodreads giveaway and as such I would like to thank the all those involved (author, publisher and goodreads) for sending me this novel. I have not read the two earlier books of the series and it may have been helpful to have done so, but it did work as a stand alone novel. The novel was fast paced with lots of twists and turns. An enjoyable read. Thanks
Christine Zibas
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Business in China is always a complicated situation for Americans in China, with a blending of the personal and professional. When a wealthy art client of dealer Ellie McEnroe comes to her with a request to investigate the moral character of an American friend of his youngest son, Ellie finds that she can't say no (as much as she can sense the danger lurking below the surface).

She's familiar with the decadent lifestyles of the rich in China, and Cao's three children seem to run the gamut. His ol
Michael Martz
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I really like Lisa Brackmann's Ellie McEnroe character. Mostly because of what she's not- she isn't a spy, assassin, ninja, martial arts expert, beauty queen, or female Reacher. What she is, though (war vet with a damaged leg, expat in China, speaker of Chinese, beer drinker, supporter of various Chinese characters who get themselves in hot water with authorities), keeps her in enough trouble to make Brackmann's novels interesting.

Dragon Day is pretty good. Brackmann isn't a great writer but he
R J Mckay
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this book from Goodreads in exchange for a review.

Former Iraq War vet Ellie McEnroe quickly finds herself in the thick of things as she investigates March Brody at the insistence of Shanghai billionaire Sidney Cao. Cao is suspicious of his son’s business involvement with Brody. Under the guise of discussing Sidney Cao’s ‘art project’, Ellie unwillingly finds herself involved in the lives of the three Cao children. And what starts out as an investigation into Brody quickly turns deadly
Ben Campbell
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
The third book in this trilogy and it didn't disappoint me. A lot of descriptions of China's rural areas and cities with malls too large, smog too much, high-rise structure blocks not looking like anything but maybe they're apartments, or could be factories, or the many Chinese departmental offices. Who knows and who cares. The story of Ellie carries on.

Brackmann's writing style leaves nothing unturned, and this story, not really about the Chinese elite, but really about the rich Chinese elite,
T
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Brother liked this book more than I did....first one by this author that we've read, jumped into the middle of a series apparently.

Ellie is an American vet in China...her mom is there as well, not sure if that is permanent or not, she wants to open a taco place in China with her boyfriend. Ellie gets into scrapes with thuggy types and apparently owes a lot of thuggies some favors, always in/out of impending trouble?

A wealthy Chinese client asks Ellie to scope out a cohort of one of his kids, as
Lee Thames
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoy reading about Ms. Brackmann's Ellie McEnroe and her adventures in China, though this third book in the series (and last?) feels flat. In each of the first two books we meet new characters who are not who they appear to be. And in China no one is who they appear to be.

However, there are no new characters and no new development of the existing characters in "Dragon Day".

This is still a fun read for a mystery and if you have read Ms. Brackmann's first two Ellie novels you will want to read
Chris
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good series that is very different. Ellie is involved in her usual adventures with corrupt officials and the rich elite all the while trying to maintain a low profile, something that fate will not allow her to do. Ellie is poised for some new adventures. Can't wait to see what Book 4 will bring.
Kathleen Gray
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read this for an interesting view of Beijing and for a twisty story with really unique characters. I've read the preceding novels in this series - which I think it helps to have done. I almost put it down 100 pages in but pushed through and am glad I did. I'd really like to meet Meimei ;)
Deb
Aug 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I found the plot at times hard to follow, but the setting was amazing.
Susan
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the first book I've read in the Ellie McEnroe series. It wasn't one of my favorite murder mysteries. I don't think I will read any of the other books in this series.
Andrea
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyable. I think book two in this trilogy, Hour of the Rat, is still my favorite of the three in terms of voice, plot, and descriptions of China.
Doreen
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mcn
8/8/15 Review tk

8/11/15 Well, this showed up earlier than expected! http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs/...
Charlotte mann
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story, and especially her descriptions of the decadent life style of the princelings in China.
Anita H
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: series, mystery
Not my favourite in the series but love Ellie. Can't wait for the next one.
Samantha Dwyer
Dec 26, 2017
Luke ( LUCI ) Peterson
Nov 16, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Murder on the Champ de Mars (Aimee Leduc Investigations #15)
  • A Pinch of Ooh La La
  • Mischief
  • The Convert's Song (Valentine Pescatore #2)
  • Purgatory Chasm
  • The Invention of Fire (John Gower, #2)
  • Hard Light (Cass Neary, #3)
  • The Last Will of Moira Leahy
  • The Metaphysical Ukulele
  • Uncle Janice
  • Mighty, Mighty: A Novel
  • King Maybe (Junior Bender, #5)
  • Sayonara Slam (Mas Arai #6)
  • Inner City Blues (Charlotte Justice, #1)
  • Beijing Comrades
  • The Assassin Trilogy: The Silver Bear / Columbus / Dark Men (Silver Bear, #1-3)
  • Buffalo Noir
  • Nearer Home: A Nola Céspedes Mystery
Lisa Brackmann is the New York Times best-selling author of the Ellie McEnroe novels set in China and the thrillers Getaway and Go-Between. The first Ellie book, Rock Paper Tiger (Year of the Tiger) was one of Amazon Top 100 Books of the Year and a Top 10 Mystery/Thriller. Hour Of The Rat, the sequel, was shortlisted for Left Coast Crime's international mystery award and was nominated for the Anth ...more
More about Lisa Brackmann

Ellie McEnroe (3 books)
  • Rock Paper Tiger (Ellie McEnroe, #1)
  • Hour of the Rat (Ellie McEnroe, #2)