Start by marking “Zeroes (Zeroes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Zeroes (Zeroes, #1)

Zeroes (Zeroes #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  7,281 Ratings  ·  1,231 Reviews
Don't call them heroes. But these six Californian teens have powers that set them apart

Ethan aka Scam has a voice inside him that'll say whatever people want to hear, whether it's true or not. Which is handy, except when it isn't - like when the voice starts gabbing in the middle of a bank robbery. The only people who can help are the other Zeroes, who aren't exactly bes
Published September 24th 2015 by Simon & Schuster Childrens Books (first published September 23rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Zeroes, please sign up.
Wayong According to the dictionary (Merriam Webster & Dictionary Reference)
Ø means:
main definition: naught/nought
>nothing
>Cipher, zero
…more
According to the dictionary (Merriam Webster & Dictionary Reference)
Ø means:
main definition: naught/nought
>nothing
>Cipher, zero
>obsolete, morally bad/wicked
>archaic, worthless, stupid
>"...comes to naught" = without fruition, fail
>"...set at naught" = to treat without no importance, disdain

So it has a number of meanings besides differenciating the number & letter (in the States, it's not so common... I went to a parochial school that was based on the International institute education as a child & many of my classmates & teachers/rebbeim were from outside of the States... and my handwriting is terrible so I do use the Ø as well as cross my 7s.

So now I'm curious to see if the other definitions have any relevance in Westerfields & Langalan's Zeros. I haven't read the book yet...
(less)

Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
It’s always a great experience when you go into a book with no expectations and it turns out you really enjoy it. That’s what happened to me with Zeroes . I hadn’t read a single review beforehand, hadn’t read anything by Scott Westerfeld (though I think I will remedy that now) and have never even heard of the other two authors.

The reason I picked up this book was the premise. I read the summary on Goodreads and was immediately intrigued. I read the tagline and I was even more convinced. If ther
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
“These things we have, they aren’t mental issues; they’re powers. Like superheroes have.”

“You think?”

“Sure. We just suck at them right now.”

It is not everyday that you come across a great book without its usual YA tropes plaguing every pages.

Follow by the textbook, Zeroes did not. Instead what these three authors do is turn the tables around, thrash all the methodical/formulaic shit there is out there and laugh in the face of clichés and tropes. The end product? It’s this. A story so origin
C.G. Drews
I accidentally like the thought of super-power books more than I do the actual reading part. Why?!?! IT'S SO HARD TO EXPLAIN. I just never feel like they're different or enough. Zeroes felt generic. I wasn't attached to any characters and I was seriously confused most of the time. It's always referencing stuff that "happened last summer"...so it made the entire book feel more like a sequel than a beginning. I know it's cool to start a story in the action-y part...but sometimes without backstory. ...more
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Simon and Schuster UK Children's and NetGalley.)

“The Zeroes, they’d called themselves as a joke. Like heroes, but not.”

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

This was a bit of an unconventional story, about some kids with superpowers.

There were several characters in this, although the story was told in third person. I didn’t really like Ethan, he really was a bit of a con-artist and I didn’t like that, but I did like Kelsey, especially the
Taylor Knight
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book but when I read the publisher's description, I got really pumped. "Filled with high-stakes action and drama" really caught my attention. I shouldn't have got my hopes high but I did. And I was left disappointed.
I really like the concept of this book and the writing was pretty good but what really got me was all the different perspectives and how long it took to set up each character. It jumped from character to character and nothing really set them apa
joey (thoughts and afterthoughts)
[See the full review at thoughts and afterthoughts.]

I am jello.

Thank you, Bilanafeld...? Westerlanacotti…? (this sounds like manicotti or biscotti--WHATEVER, IT'S NOT THE POINT)--for curing my half a year reading slump. This is my attempt at a ship name for this wonderful trio much like how you gave my favourite ship a name in this book. I also require the sequel. Now would be nice.

Rating: 4/5
Should this book be picked up? the tl;dr spoiler-less review:
— The superpowers in this story aren’t a
Christina
DNF @ 33%

This was my first Scott Westerfeld novel. That being said, I'm not in too much of a hurry to try out his others. The idea for the novel really caught my attention.

Six California teens that have powers that set them apart from everyone else:

Scam- the voice inside him says whatever you want to hear
Crash- brings technology to its knees
Flicker- can see through anyone's eyes but her own
Anonymous- out of sight, out of mind
Bellwether- Focuses the energy of the group on one goal
and the sixth -
Tatiana
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, ya, aus-nz, 1, starred-2015
The reason I wanted to read this book - Margo Lanagan is a co-author. Unfortunately, I didn't find Lanagan's distinct voice anywhere in Zeroes. Three people had written this novel (although Westerfeld's name is in a much bigger font, why is that?), but all parts of it sounded remarkably similar.

Did I like it overall? It was OK. It's a story about teen heroes with moderately interesting super powers. A lot of action, some romance. Not a bad book, but with not much of a crossover appeal, IMO. Remi
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: powers, friends, family, attraction, saving-the-world.

This was an OK read.

It was interesting, but the pace fluctuated too much for me. It didn't keep me hooked, I feel that it peaked too soon.

I didn't really click with any of the characters, I didn't get on with them. And I found that I didn't want to.

And I so badly wanted the author to be brave and kill off certain characters, it would have made this book so much stronger. But it's going to be part of a series, so obviously there can't
Megan
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh, reviewed, ya
First things first I love superheroes. I adore them. So when I heard that Scott Westerfield had co-written a nearly 600 page book about kids with super powers I was down. I was so down. Young Avengers and Teen Titans is my jam.

Unfortunately, Zeroes is not my jam. It is not my peanut butter either.

I’ve read a lot of Scott Westerfeld. Back in Junior High I went through a bit of a phase where I just read everything of his, so when I saw his name splashed across the cover I was sure I’d like Zeroes.
Pinky
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me awhile to read this but it was amazing! I loved it so much, it was a lot of fun to read. There was so much action and I couldn't stop reading, even though I was interrupted a bunch of times. :( The struggles of being a reader! Anyway, I am so glad I picked this up, I was at the library and saw this and grabbed it!

“Wisdom tells me I'm nothing, love tells me I'm everything.”

This book follows 6 teenagers who have a life that is nothing near ordinary. They all have a power, but each
Rebecca T
Damn that was an enjoyable ride!

The Zeroes are six not-so-normal teenagers, all born in the year 2000, all with some social-related super power. There are way too many main characters for me to talk about them in minute detail, so instead here are some brief dot points:

- Nate (a.k.a. Bellwether, a.k.a. Glorious Leader) has the ability to bend crowds to his will. He can make them focus in on him, believe him, trust him. Comes in handy considering his aspirations to become a politician.

- Ethan (a
Anna
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Wisdom tells me I am nothing. Love tells me I am everything."

One of the best books I've read all year. Well written, fast-paced, and a heck of a plot. The writing was sharp and beautiful.

I feel like super-heroes are big right now, so much so that it's hard to differentiate between them and get excited about another superhero story. But this book offered a lot. Great descriptive lines, and highly imaginative.

Highly recommend!
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
Placed on-hold: 20 Sept 2015.

Placing this on hold for now. It's not holding my attention for more than a couple of pages at a time, and I've only carried on reading so far because it was the only book on my kindle when I was at work these past few days. And that is not good, if the only reason you're reading a certain book is because it's the only one around.

I will, hopefully, be picking this up again at a later date.
TheBookSmugglers
Zeroes is the first in a new YA superhero trilogy written by heavy-hitters Scott Westerfeld, Margo Lanagan and Deborah Biancotti.

In it, six teenagers, all born in the same year of 2000, have superpowers. They are the “zeroes”, brought together by their Glorious Leader Nate (or “Bellwether”), an ambitious young man who has a vision for the group and had been trying to train and develop their abilities. Then, one year before the story starts, Ethan/”Scam” torn them apart with the truths no one dar
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence! Check it out for more reviews.

Superheroes are my jam and Zeroes is a high octane, action-packed story about a team of teenage misfits who also happen to have powers.

Superpowers never get old for me, and I loved hearing about the different powers that each of the six teens had. Kelsie has the power of crowd control, which comes in handy in dangerous public situations. Scam has an all knowing, all seeing voice that gets him in – and out of situations in a j
Katie Grace
Two stars for being interested enough to finish this book... but I didn't really get the whole point of the book and the characters fell flat to me. *shrug* I like the Leviathan trilogy SO much better by this author.
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

I wanted to love this book. I really really did, but unfortunately, Zeroes didn’t blow my mind the way I had wanted it to. It’s not that I didn’t enjoy reading the book, it's just that I wanted so much from it. Scott Westerfeld is one of my favorite authors and superpowers are always incredibly fun to read about so I went in expecting to love this book. When it turned out this book wasn’t everything I had wanted it to be, I was sad and di
Emma Sea
Jul 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Bailed at page 127, when I realized I was saddened by the thought of having to pick this up again.

I've been a giant Westerfeld fan, and, although I don't think I even made it to the second act, the setup was masterfully written. Smooth as fuck, man. I just couldn't connect with the characters. I don't know, did I grow out of YA? I'm an old, so . . . I guess so?

Sad panda.
Ben Babcock
I’m not sure how much of a compliment this is, what with the low opinion I have of most CW shows (Supernatural notwithstanding), but Zeroes is one of the first superhero novels I’ve read that could be a CW show. It reminds me a lot of the well-intentioned but ill-fated attempts like Alphas (which I know wasn’t the CW, but that’s neither here nor there), in that it follows the standard formula: a group of people have powers, or abilities, and come together clandestinely to tackle your everyday gr ...more
Tehani
A fascinating ensemble cast of characters combined with a bunch of not-quite-controlled superpowers makes for a rollercoaster ride of a book. I love that this is book one of a trilogy but completely self-contained, and I can't wait for what comes next. Also, could we please have a TV series?
Amy
You can read this review and more @Book Enthral

First Thoughts 28/10

Such a great first instalment to the series! I loved all the POVs, everyone had such a unique presences and brought something new to the book. I loved how their superpowers seemed so mundane and yet can achieve so much! I will most certainly be keeping up with this series!
Review to come :)

Review 29/10

This was my first Scott Westerfeld book and I gotta say, he definitely lives up to the hype. Or maybe, him, Lanagan and Biancotti
Alli
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Actual Rating: 3.5

This book is the first in a series by Scott Westerfeld, Margo Lanagan, and Deborah Biancotti. The novel follows six teenagers with superpowers. Except, well, there're not exactly super. These teenagers possess superpowers that basically suck. After a summer of separation due to a cause, the Zeroes are pulled back together to rescue one of their members, Ethan. Kelsey's dad went to prison because of Ethan. Now, all she seeks is a way to get her father out of trouble and she

Nicola
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I was really looking forward to reading Zeroes; the concept is cool and I really wanted to love it, but it just fell a bit flat.

We don't really get to know any of the characters in great detail because there are six of them and they each have their own point of view. This made it difficult to really care about them and become invested in their story.

The powers that the kids have are one of the more interesting elements of the book. I like that they aren't your typical superpowers and it focused
Figgy
Within these pages you will meet six unique teens.

Nate/Bellwether (aka Glorious Leader) has the ability to bend the will of crowds, to make them follow him.

Chizara/Crash can crash anything electronic, hence the name. But the downside to her power is that even being near electronics hurts her to her very bones, makes her brain itch.

Riley/Flicker is blind, but can see through the eyes of others.

Thibault/Anonymous finds it incredibly easy to disappear, but the flip side of this is that no on
Anthea
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
I received an ARC from the publisher for an honest review.
This book is due to be published on 23rd September 2015!

I absolutely loved this book, I loved all the different powers the group had, I loved the problems they got themselves into and I loved the fact that they were just kids who had no idea how to be heroes or how to control their powers.

This was such a brilliantly written novel, fast-paced and action packed. Of course, superhero stories have been done, kids with superpowers have been
✨Skye✨
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star-was-okay
Hm. Not too sure what to say about this one. There are some things I liked, some things I didn’t, but overall I feel quite indifferent about this one. Not a bad book by any means but maybe not for me.
Zeroes follows a group of people with superpowers, who all experience a big downside to the powers they have. We follow Ethan at first, whose power is a Voice that he can manipulate to say things to suit his needs, which can say any personal information that he himself does not know. This Voice brok
❤Marie Gentilcore
I liked this book but it didn't quite measure up to Scott Westerfeld's "Uglies" series. Those books were amazing and this one was good but it was missing something that I wish I were able to explain. I think part of the problem is that there were a lot of characters and it took me a while to bond with all of the Zeroes. There are six of them and they each have an ability or super power. My favorite Zero was Anonymous. His ability was that he was forgettable; he would meet people but once he was ...more
Emily
I didn't realize until I got to the end of this on audio (spacing out while they did the credits) that the reader was Amber Benson. Amber Benson! She did so many different voices, I never recognized hers. She did a nice job.
I seem to be hitting a lot of sideways takes on super power stories lately. I don't know if more people are writing them, or if that's just what I keep running into. This was a good one. The story's original, and the powers are different from anything I've seen. A c
Charlie
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Zeroes exceeded all of my expectations, this is what YA should be. I loved the diverse cast of characters, I didn't think I could get behind a story told from so many perspectives but each voice was so unique, it really worked.

A 5 star book to end the year on.
  • Razorhurst
  • In the Skin of a Monster
  • The Foretelling of Georgie Spider (The Tribe, #3)
  • The Unquiet
  • Lifespan of Starlight
  • Eat the Sky, Drink the Ocean
  • While You Were Gone (Duplexity, #2)
  • Bluescreen (Mirador, #1)
  • Man Made Boy (Man Made Boy #1)
  • Afterlight
  • Endangered
  • The Emperor of Any Place
  • Fall (Twinmaker, #3)
  • The Guy, the Girl, the Artist and His Ex
Scott Westerfeld is a New York Times bestselling author of YA. He was born in the Texas and now lives in Sydney and New York City. In 2001, Westerfeld married fellow author Justine Larbalestier.

He is best know for the Uglies and Leviathan series, and his next book, Afterworlds, comes out September 23, 2014.

His book Evolution's Darling was a New York Times Notable Book, and won a Special Citation f
More about Scott Westerfeld

Zeroes (3 books)
  • Swarm (Zeroes, #2)
  • Nexus (Zeroes #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“Wisdom tells me i'm nothing, love tells me I'm everything.” 11 likes
“Once there was a girl named Riley, the story began. Her heart was a secret garden, its stone walls cracked and weathered. And it was hungry. p160” 6 likes