Start by marking “The World Swappers” as Want to Read:
The World Swappers

The World Swappers

The Galaxy was caught in the crushing vice of a struggle for power. The political titans of the human planets were making their bids for supremacy.
The contestants: Counce, man of strange powers, authority in the spheres of intellect. Bassett, man of money-powers, financial & business wizard.
As the association of human worlds drew near the teetering edge of revolution, on
Published 1959 by DAW Science Fiction

To ask other readers questions about The World Swappers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World Swappers

Start your review of The World Swappers
Heather
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, science-fiction
Vintage 1959 sci fi. Most amusing to me was the fact that future physicists on a spaceship use analog slide rules to assist their advanced computations. A short but solid plotline, and an enjoyable early work from Brunner.
Keary Birch
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
John Brunner was one of my favourite authors back when I started. He wrote succinctly with amazing well-considered ideas. His books were generally short and with no need for over-characterisation. I am always on the lookout for ones I have not read.

This is a short book (only 153 pages) and can be read in an afternoon. Its shortness means that it only gets 4 stars but the ideas are wonderful if of their time.

If you have a couple of hours (maybe three) you could do a lot worse.
Metaphorosis
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, 2013-rev
I don't know anything about the genesis of this book, but I have to assume that Brunner produced it fast, or early, or in some other way wasn't really paying attention. I admit that I'm not a big Brunner fan (no, not even Stand on Zanzibar), but I've like his other work much more than this.

Here, Brunner has barely the germ of an idea, and does very little with it. The beginning of the book is catchy, with one mysterious, powerful stranger intercepting a mysterious, intelligent merchant. But the
Jay
A book that shows its age. Someone could pick up the basic plot and expand on the characters and publish a very nice 2015 sci-fi novel.
Joshua Pike
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
World swappers is an early work by Brunner. It is short and dense in the same way a lot of books written in the forties or the fifties tend to be. It has several threads, and a fast pace but does not leave you behind.
I will say that the characters do sometimes lack depth, it is definitely an early work, none the less it is a good book that I have re-read a couple times over the years.

The book is set several centuries past us developed the first FTL ships, and when dozens of worlds were colonized
John Loyd
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humanity has expanded to thirty planets and for now Earth is living in a period of comfort. Counce knows that in forty or eighty years Earth will have problems providing for an increasing population, but none of the other planets will want emigrants from Earth. One of the planets is Ymir, a cold inhospitable place, the ten million residents there are indoctrinated from birth to have a disdain for luxury. This planet is the key. By the way, it turns out humanity isn't alone in the galaxy, Counce' ...more
Joe Santoro
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soft_sf
Way back.. John Brunner's Atlantic Abomination was the first of my trove of old sci fi paperbacks I've been working though... I'm now close to 1/2 way done with them, and I noticed this one in the pile, and such a different cover, it got moved up to the top.

It's got some really interesting stuff going on... written in 1959, yet with no nuclear holocaust. Instead, we have a world that colonized BEFORE the Earth was wrecked, and as a result Earth is a great place to live with a super high standard
Kenneth
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Counce and Bassett between them have strange powers and control of financial and business interests, but they also have to deal with the planets that humankind has colonized, including the ice world of Ymir. Counce has invented something called the transfax which can teleport between star systems, among other things. And there is an alien species that they are coming into contact with.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
review of
John Brunner's The World Swappers
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - February 18, 2013

After I read Rudyard Kipling & John Brunner's The Science Fiction Stories of Rudyard Kipling (you can read my review of that here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44... ) I decided that it was time to finally read something by Brunner, a writer I've long since been aware but've never gotten around to until now. SO, I went to a used bkstore & got 5 novels of his + another 8 novels by Jules Verne that
Darren Goossens
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: staunch fans
Review from https://darrengoossens.wordpress.com/2016/12/20/meh-the-world-swappers-by-john-brunner/

The World Swappers by John Brunner

Ace, some time in the 60s. 153 pages.

To me Brunner is a major figure of 60s and 70s SF. His ‘big 4‘ novels of the late 60s/early 70, ( Stand on Zanzibar , The Sheep Look Up, The Shockwave Rider and Jagged Orbit) form a block of work few writers can match; even so, they are perhaps more admired and respected than loved.
Cover of <i>The World Swappers</i> by John Brunner.
Cover of The World Swappers by John Brun
Patience Adella
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The synopsis on the back of the book makes this story sound much more menacing than it is.

The story is set in a future time when we have colonized other planets but still have some difficulty in travelling between them, although there is some trade and travel that happens. It is about a group of humans who are trying to create an ideal first contact situation. It is a complex problem but well done for a short (153 pages) novel. We see a lot of different aspects of human nature played out, and th
David Bonesteel
Jun 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
Two powerful interstellar magnates vie for control of human-controlled space in this early (1959) John Brunner novel. This is the only novel of Brunner's that I've read, but I have to assume that he improved considerably later since he produced two very highly regarded novels, "The Sheep Look Up" and "Stand on Zanzibar." This book is a bit of fluff that displays all of the worst traits of Golden Age science fiction--a naïve faith in the ability of extraordinary individuals (invariably scientists ...more
David B
Jul 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Illusive
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Gelesen als Planet zu verschenken

Wer verdient es am ehesten, die Milchstraße zu beherrschen?
Ist es Counce, der geniale Wissenschaftler, der eine Entdeckung von größter Tragweite gemacht hat . . .?
Oder ist es Bassett, der galaktische Händler und Finanzmagnat, dessen Raumschiffe die Güter fremder Welten zur Erde bringen ... ? Counce und Bassett - jeder ein Gigant auf seinem Gebiet!
Doch die beiden Anwärter auf die ultimate Macht haben nicht mit den Fremden gerechnet, deren Raumschiff bereits die Ga
Colleen
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
What happens when humans run into evidence that they are not alone in their sector of the galaxy? Thriller about a time in the future when malcontents have gone off to populate other planets and Earth is overcrowded once more. Some people have discovered how to 'fax' themselves around, while the rest of the race use spaceships. Complicated plot investigates business moguls and a secret society that figures out the Others are on their way home. Maybe humans don't have to blow away the aliens...
Michael Ward
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the first books I ever bought when I was 12 years old. I didn't read it for a year or two but it was a really good book and I have read it again a couple of times since. I liked the way people could just be recreated if they died and the whole transmat system was great.
Meira (readingbooksinisrael)
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: abba, sci-fi
The ending was too abrupt and unprecedented, and I would have liked more things to be explained but all in all I liked it.

It's the first first contact book I have read in which the humans want peace and I liked the way the plot was set out (until the last chapter).
John
Jan 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• If at First . . .
  • The Skeleton Closet of Jules De Grandin
  • Death of a Stranger (William Monk, #13)
  • Wallis in Love: The Untold Life of the Duchess of Windsor, the Woman Who Changed the Monarchy
  • Special Deliverance
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
  • Bloodsick (Scarlett Bernard, #0.1)
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
  • Death of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #6)
  • Enola Gay: The Bombing of Hiroshima
  • The Storm Before the Storm: The Beginning of the End of the Roman Republic
  • Bleak House
  • Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Immortality, Inc.
  • The Obsidian Chamber (Pendergast, #16)
  • The Bayern Agenda (The Galactic Cold War, #1)
  • Smokescreen
  • An Irish Country Doctor (Irish Country #1)
John Brunner was born in Preston Crowmarsh, near Wallingford in Oxfordshire, and went to school at St Andrew's Prep School, Pangbourne, then to Cheltenham College. He wrote his first novel, Galactic Storm, at 17, and published it under the pen-name Gill Hunt, but he did not start writing full-time until 1958. He served as an officer in the Royal Air Force from 1953 to 1955, and married Marjorie Ro ...more