Start by marking “You Belong to Me and Other True Crime Cases (Crime Files, # 2)” as Want to Read:
You Belong to Me and Other True Crime Cases (Crime Files, # 2)

You Belong to Me and Other True Crime Cases

(Crime Files #2)

In "You Belong to Me, " Rule fixes her unsparing professional gaze on one of Florida's most shocking criminal cases - that of Tim Harris, a poster-perfect "all-American" Florida State Trooper who hid bizarre and fatal fantasies behind his badge - plus other incredible true crime cases from her personal files. Mesmerizing us with her masterful exploration of the personaliti ...more
Published September 1st 1994 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about You Belong to Me and Other True Crime Cases, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Belong to Me and Other True Crime Cases

Obsidian
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You Belong to Me" starts off with a longer story and then the anthology showcases other true crime stories. I didn't think that some of them fit with the overall theme I got from the first one though which is one reason why I lowered it half a star. And then I lowered it another half star when I realized one of the stories appeared in another collection before, and some of the stories to me, in my opinion felt like filler.

"You Belong to Me" (4 stars)-This story is heartbreaking. Rule traces on
Katherine Addison
*"You Belong to Me": I-95 Indian River County FL 1990: The Florida State Highway Patrol was found not liable in Lorraine Dombroski Hendricks' murder, but the more I think about it, the more I think that judgment was itself part of the exact same failure that let her be killed: there was more than enough evidence that State Trooper Tim Harris was not fit to be out alone, much less in a position of authority--the problem was that the vast majority of the evidence was his behavior toward his estran ...more
Stephanie Jenkins Ortiz Cerrillo
This is my first Ann Rule book and since I'm an ID Channel addict it won't be my last. This book with several True Crime stories in it just proves the old adage that "truth is stranger than fiction". I enjoyed Ann Rules take on the crimes and how she gives us so much on the background on the murderers. A little insight into whether the murderer's background may or may not be part of the cause for the suspect to have gone on to be a murderer. A question of if evil is breed into a person, their de ...more
Kaitlin Jones
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Tracy
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I just got through You Belong to Me (still working on the short cases after that one), and felt compelled to go ahead and start the review.

This case is TERRIFYING, mostly because I read it on the heels of the UCSB shooting (that, and framed by my own past experience in a relationship with a controlling man). There is very little I find scarier than misogynist men who feel they are owed ownership over women. So trigger warning, guys. This book is scary.

That being said, the coverage of the case wa
Jim Nolt
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is one of Ann Rule's older books, published in 1994. It includes six tales: "You Belong To Me," "Black Christmas," "One Trick Pony," "The Computer Error And The Killer," "The Vanishing," and "The Last Letter." All are intriguing, well-written... and oh so tragic tales.
Fishface
Another goodish selection of cases from Ann Rule. Includes a cop who murdered a speeder, a serial killer from Michigan and a variety of other cases. DO NOT look at the photo section before reading the text -- the captions spoil every story.
Ronnie Cramer
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not her best work. Page after page of marital trouble followed by a smattering of crime.
Jan
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm a big Ann Rule fan. I've always enjoyed her detailed description of the real-life characters in her book.
Lacey Hartman
I haven't read anything by Ann Rule in a very long time, so I decided to pick this up to listen to on the drive to and from work. It was fine. I've read some other reviews that mentioned that the main story was a bit to heavy on background information. I think that's in some ways true. There was a lot of time spent on things that happened in the lives of the Harris' before the major crime. But that said, it wouldn't have been as interesting a story without the background build up. I would have l ...more
Boremomsn.Com
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
For the headliner, the first half of the story was backstory - and way too much of it. It was boring reading. The back half of the story was enjoyable. Yes, the backstory was helpful in understanding what made the bad guy tick, but there really was far too much of it. The author misjudged what to tell and what to leave out. Unfortunately, she told way too much and it hurt the telling of the story. 'The Vanishing' is a lame trick that is played on the reader. Rule's intro says, "Stacy's story has ...more
Nancy
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
I've read a number of Ms. Rule's books; enough to know that the majority of the cases she covers tends towards the Pacific Northwest. So it was with some surprise that I found this book, which covers the case of Timothy Harris, written about a murder in my own backyard. Vero Beach and Sebastian are the two part of Indian River county, where the main story is set. It has the small town feel so it was very shocking to read of a murder here. Tim Harris was a Florida Highway Patrol officer who had i ...more
Tom Schulte
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this right before interviewing Trevor Tanner, best known as the singer and guitarist of post-punk/gothic rock band The Bolshoi. He was unimpressed:

TT: Well, yeah, I’m still on the other side. I’m on the east coast so it’s easy to get up and down I-95 for the shows and stuff. So, I can get around pretty easily from here so I’m—

Me: I-95, I was just reading about that and an Ann Rule true crime book about—

TT: Yeah. Yeah.

Full audio for this interview is archived to https://archive.org/detail
Mary Christian Payne
Ann Rule writes another winner

I love Ann. Rule's books. It is clear that she spends untold hours of research on her stories. They are superbly researched and that makes them so much more interesting. I love that she delves into the criminal mind, as well as the background of the victim's life. I do not necessarily read true crime, but Ms. File's books are truly psychological studies.
Annie
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
A very gripping set of stories. The main one is amazingly heartbreaking. I wasn't sure where it would go, but when the murder occurred I was shocked.

The shorter stories were also very interesting. I actually have ran across and spoken to one or two of the later subjects of the book, some 25-30 years later.
Melissa
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, crime
While not life changing, I got very addicted to this collection of cases and love Ann Rule's writing style. She's perfect at telling a true story like fiction, and you can't put it down.

The main case in this book was Tim and Sandy Harris. Tim was a police officer, but also a raging narcissist and wacko. Scary stuff
Sandra Laymon
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the Queen of true crime...

It is difficult to say anything negative about a book written by THE Queen of true crime. I thought I had read all of her books but I have somehow missed this one. For me, it was good but it was not her "best". I will leave it at that. Would I recommend it to other true crime buffs? Yes. After all, Ann Rule wrote it! May she rest in peace!
Patrick Ellard
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little long winded at times, I don't think we needed quite so much backstory into the Tim Harris case, however the book is very well written and gives a good account of the crimes. I will be sure to read other books from Ann Rule.
Denise Spicer
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This 1994 book by a prolific true crime author covers the stories of a Florida cop turned killer, a tragic murder in Seattle (the killer picked the wrong family!), and four other cases of mystery and/or murder. Her fans won’t be disappointed.
Leah Claflin
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this should have been only one tale. Adding the ones at the end felt like filler to make the book longer. Overall, a decent read.
Dhara  Son
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Kinda wished she had titled it Arrive Alive instead but still solid work as always
Amy Beyrle
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I like true crime books and the way Ann Rule crafts her story going back and forth between victim and killer.
Jess
Alternate title: Toxic masculinity ruins the party again. And again.
Miranda
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Was hard to put down.
Diana
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I pretty much love anything Ann Rule does. She is talented and compassionate when telling the details of the case, often from many perspectives.
Vicky
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
The first story was very well written and the details were quite accurate. I’m not as intrigued by the shorter stories that followed.
J.M.
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting collection. The title story could've used a little pruning (it's more than half the book), and one of the stories wasn't exactly "true crime," but overall, I enjoyed it.
Dennis Littrell
May 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Rule, Ann. You Belong to Me (1994 )****
Ominous words

The words in the title "You Belong to Me" are words a woman may want to hear from the man she loves, but when they come from a violent psychopath, watch out.

True crime is one of my favorite genres, and Ann Rule is one of its outstanding practitioners. I love the genre because nobody could make up this stuff. Truth, at least in human affairs, really is stranger than fiction. I seldom find "mysteries" or crime novels as interesting as a true tale
Carrie
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I have been an Ann Rule fan since I read "The Stranger Beside Me" and started side-eyeing every random person I saw. I got this one for $0.99 on the Kindle, so I figured it was worth a read. This is only the second collection of case files I have read of Rule's - I have largely stuck with her books that are dedicated to a single case.

I did like this book overall. The main case in the book (the story of the murder of Lorraine Hendricks in Florida) was interesting, and, as always in the case of An
Sae-chan
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Sometimes I wonder what made women stick to men like Harris. Sandy, maybe she stayed because of her children, because of the wedding vow she took. DeeLisa, maybe she stayed because she believed that he was miserable with his wife and he could only go on with her love.

But, maybe....just maybe, it's just because women are too competitive among themselves that they just couldn't stand to lose?
« previous 1 3 next »

• House Of Secrets
  • The Man With The Candy: The Story of The Houston Mass Murders
  • Pure Murder
  • She Wanted It All
  • Whatever Mother Says...: A True Story of a Mother, Madness and Murder
  • Before He Wakes: A True Story of Money, Marriage, Sex and Murder
  • The Riverman: Ted Bundy and I Hunt for the Green River Killer
  • Abandoned Prayers: The Incredible True Story of Murder, Obsession and Amish Secrets
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
  • The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town
  • Perfect Poison: A Female Serial Killer's Deadly Medicine
  • All She Wanted
  • Sleep My Darlings: The True Story of a Mother Who Killed Her Children in Cold Blood
  • A Sniper in the Tower: The Charles Whitman Murders
  • Cold Storage
  • Fiend: The Shocking True Story of America's Youngest Serial Killer
  • Cries in the Desert (St. Martin's True Crime Library)
Ann Rule was a popular American true crime writer. Raised in a law enforcement and criminal justice system environment, she grew up wanting to work in law enforcement herself. She was a former Seattle Policewoman and was well educated in psychology and criminology.

She came to prominence with her first book, The Stranger Beside Me, about the Ted Bundy murders. At the time she started researching th

Crime Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • A Rose for Her Grave and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #1)
  • A Fever in the Heart and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #3)
  • In the Name of Love and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #4)
  • The End of the Dream: The Golden Boy Who Never Grew Up (Crime Files, #5)
  • A Rage to Kill and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #6)
  • Empty Promises and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #7)
  • Last Dance, Last Chance and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #8)
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #9)
  • Worth More Dead and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #10)
  • No Regrets and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #11)