Start by marking “Doonesbury: The Long Road Home” as Want to Read:
Doonesbury: The Long Road Home

Doonesbury: The Long Road Home

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  146 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
On a road outside Fallujah, an RPG blows apart a Humvee and upends the life of a former football star. As a medevac chopper swoops down, the wounded Guardsman hears "Not your time, bro. Not today," and his remarkable healing journey begins.

Thousands of U.S. soldiers have suffered grievous wounds in Iraq, but only one of them is a Doonesbury character. The Long Road Home: O
Published June 1st 2005 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published December 31st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Doonesbury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doonesbury

Pat
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I was a fan of Doonesbury back when the series first began and through the 70's and some of the 80's. Somehow over the years I have lost track but once in awhile I would read a strip or two in the newspaper. I heard good reviews of this trilogy about returning troops and thought this was a great place to start to re-acquaint myself with this series. I was not disappointed and look forward to reading more. A graceful way to bring into focus a difficult and tragic topic.
Lorelei
Sep 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, comic, humour
First Doonesbury book that's made me laugh out loud in a long time. Wonderful, silly, honest, not entirely clueless (as a disabled person, I get to say that). It didn't seem offensive to anyone - which has been a problem with Doonesbury strips time and again.

***

Just read it again. I laughed, I cried. G.B. Trudeau at his very best. Wish there were more like this.
Julia
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
These are the strips about B.D. having his leg blown off in Iraq, his recovery and re-integration. I really miss Garry Trudeau’s characters. I need to spend more time with them.
Brandi
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Short graphic novel that adds humor to the tragedy of a war vet who lost a limb. Not much for specific details, or even a time line (as I said...short graphic novel) but each strip/page adds a layer of this soldiers life (& that of his family) that does not remain untouched. Love that the purchase of this book aids the Fisher houses that support victims families as they recover.
Clark Hallman
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Doonesbury: The Long Road Home: One Step at a Time by G.B. Trudeau is a graphic novel that illuminates the ongoing suffering of wounded warriors and their families. B.D. loses his left leg to an RPG explosion on a road near Fallujah, Iraq. The reader experiences his battle-field trauma immediately after the explosion, then his evacuation and surgeries at Landstuhl Medical Center in Germany, and then more treatment at Walter Reed Medical Center near Washington DC. Trudeau provides a gripping stor ...more
Jenn
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Our nations leaders often avoid talking about the human cost of war. G.B. Trudeau tackles this issue head on, providing an intimate look at the painful and difficult recovery of wounded war veterans with a rare, witty, biting humor.

The author introduces D.B., an ordinary soldier who gets wounded in the line of duty, and uses this fictional character to show the entire journey- from breaking the news of your injury to your family to needing to rearrange the house to make it easier for a disabled
Adam
Aug 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic
Garry Trudeau's "Doonesbury" strip is among the most prolific and engaging comics in American history. Anything that has run as long as this feature is bound to blow hot and cold at different times. To this reality, Trudeau wisely released two volumes central to the hell of war and the pain of recovery as seen through the experiences of his original character B.D. ("The Long Road Home" and "The War Within".) These collections run the gauntlet from injury to the first steps of rehabilitation with ...more
Erma Talamante
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you've ever read the Sunday comics in the paper, you are likely to have seen Doonesbury. If you are like me, then you probably skipped over it, or saved it until after you've read the good ones. Doonesbury tended to be political satire, a genre that has a hard time competing for kids' attentions against the likes of Garfield and The Wizard of Id.

But this mini-novel in comic form takes on an even more serious topic of wounded veterans.

Read the full review here:
Andrew Kubasek
Sep 21, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: completed
Honestly, I was really disappointed in this book. I expected a much harsher, more biting critique of the war in Iraq from the man who brought us the dramatic political exposé "Tanner '88." It simply seemed to be a light gloss of what a veteran amputee might go through, rather than an in-depth story. Very bummed. Still, the artwork is always unique and there were a few short spots with some dark, harsh humor.
Ted Mallory
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cartooning
Pretty profound for a cartoon. With the economy, the switch from Iraq to Afghanistan and now the stem cell issue heating up- I hope that we don't forget or neglect our vets. If you buy this book the proceeds go to the Fischer House, a place for veterans and their families next to VA hospitals.
Michael Watkins
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks for your sacrifice

We forget the destruction of lives that war leaves in it's wake. Leave it to Gary Trudeau to remind us of the difficulties faced by our war wounded. Thank you very much.
Kim
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-strips
Deeply moving.
Taron
Sep 28, 2011 rated it liked it
i think it was an inspiring
MB (What she read)
Having been a Trudeau fan for a loooong time, I really appreciated the way he handles the war and veterans. Particularly in this book.

Reread for a class assignment.
Karen-Leigh
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cartoons-comics
BD from bomb that took his leg to Zonker building a ramp and rearranging the house for his homecoming at Christmas. Foreword by John McCain.
Sheila
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
A wonderful inspiring story of the rebuilding of one's life after being severely injured in Iraq. A homage to these brave men and women who sacrifice so much for the American people.
Angel
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this from the UHD Library.

See my note on the book:

[http://gypsylibrarian.blogspot.com/20...]
Mumbler
rated it it was ok
Jun 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Garretson Beekman "Garry" Trudeau is an American cartoonist, best known for the Doonesbury comic strip. In 1970, Trudeau's creation of Doonesbury was syndicated by the newly formed Universal Press Syndicate. Today Doonesbury is syndicated to almost 1,400 newspapers worldwide and is accessible online in association with Slate Magazine at doonesbury.com. In 1975, he became the first comic strip arti ...more
More about G.B. Trudeau...