Start by marking “The Rendezvous and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Rendezvous and Other Stories

The Rendezvous and Other Stories

Alternate cover here.

The stories in this collection, some written before du Maurier published her first novel, reflect many human emotions: romance, disenchantment, fantasy, nostalgia, ambition, irony, the longing for adventure. Each of them is based on something observed, something overheard, and all will provide pleasure for every mood.
Published May 5th 2005 by Virago (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Rendezvous and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rendezvous and Other Stories

Start your review of The Rendezvous and Other Stories
Blair
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Review originally published at Learn This Phrase.

The Rendezvous and Other Stories is, or rather was, the only volume of Daphne du Maurier's short stories I hadn't read. It also seems to be the least popular; it has the fewest ratings on Goodreads, and I didn't even know it existed until recently. It is a collection of du Maurier stories from various points in the author's life, including several very early ones, though in terms of original publication date it was the last collection of her stor
Allison Elizabeth
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Firstly, Daphne du Maurier is one of my favourite authors, so I will always be a bit biased. I will say that while this was not my favourite collection of her short stories (I LOVE 'The Blue Lenses'), it is still absolutely worth reading.
The first story "No Motive" and the final one "Split Second" are particularly wonderful, while several of the stories in between feel a bit too short, as though they cut off just before things get really interesting. Perhaps that is a credit to her gift for crea
Erin
A collection of fourteen short stories that span Daphne du Maurier's career. Here I was revisiting the author that knocked me over with " Rebecca" and " My Cousin Rachel" and I admit that I was a little underwhelmed. With the exception of " Split Second" and " No Motive" which were definitely the most intriguing and showed the writing prowess and voice of du Maurier.

Goodreads review published 30/11/19
Tracey
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I will review each story as I read them:
1. No Motive.
A private detective investigating why a wealthy woman expecting her first child commits suicide. 4 stars.
2. Panic. 3 stars
3. Supreme Artist. Um not sure of the point of this one. 2 stars
4. Adieu Sagesse. 2 stars.
5. Fairytale. 2 stars
11. The closing door.
12. Indiscretion.
13. Angels & Archangels.
14. Split Second.

Some of the stories are really good and others are so
Frances Thompson
If Daphne du Maurier was apparently weaker at short stories then gee whizz the rest of us are doomed. I enjoyed this collection of varied short fiction immensely, thanks mainly to all of them having the essential sting in the tail or twist in the plot that really makes short stories work for me.

I was pulled in with the not-so-straight forward "Whodunnit?" or rather "Why-she-dun-it?" No Motive and I was held throughout as Du Maurier explores family, love, lies, scandal and even magical realism in
Phee
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fantastic. Possibly one of my favourite short story collections.
Jenny
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
My favourite story in the collection was No Motive.

shakespeareandspice
Some stories were quite good, some very disappointing.

What I’ve always appreciated about du Maurier is that she comes up with very intriguing narratives and creates a jaw-dropping atmosphere in her setup. However, she consistently fails to carry the plot throughout the length of the story and also seems to struggle writing a good ending for her characters.

This is the 10th book I’ve read by her and I’m not very inclined to continue forward with any of her other writings.
Geertje
It's Daphne, what can I say? Amazing.
Jack Robinson
Sep 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: the-du-maurier-s
I've given this three stars purely based on the fact that I didn't enjoy all of the short stories in this collection. That being said, there is not a single one that is bad. In fact, they are all brilliantly written. Daphne's characters leap off the page in the short amount of time they are given. I've read novels where the characters do not do the same for 200+ pages. In this respect, the collection is fantastic.

The only reason I didn't enjoy these stories is that they aren't pleasant. A com
Kirsty
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have greatly enjoyed du Maurier’s short stories in the past, and consequently had rather high hopes for The Rendezvous and Other Stories. Unlike many of her collections, which cover just a few years, the stories here span du Maurier’s entire career.

Several of these tales were previously featured in magazines before being placed into the collection, which was published in 1980. The Rendezvous and Other Stories is made up of fifteen stories in all. As with all of du Maurier’s short story collect
Maninee
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Maninee by: Shinjan Pramanik
Shelves: short-stories
Around a year before I read this book, a friend of mine had read 'Rebecca', by the same author. She brought it on the school bus with her every day, and urged me to read it as well. I admit that at that time I was slightly prejudiced against the book, or rather, my friend's choice of books since she didn't read much and has a fancy for chic lit. I'm sad to say I never even bothered to find out more about the book. Then, another friend showed me this book and said I should read it. I was in the m ...more
Kathryn Parry
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
No Motive: what a heartbreaking story that was but I could not put it down until I came to the end, five stars for that short.
Panic: oh the pig and five stars again.
The Supreme Artist: umm I am not sure with this one, seems unfinished somehow.
Adieu Sagesse: a story about living the dream no matter how old you are. Four stars.
Fairy Tale: ahh a bleak beginning but a nice ending. Four stars again.
The Rendezvous: three stars for this one.
La Sainte-Vierge: no... I did not like this short story.
Lead
Nicky
Even when she wasn't writing at her best, Daphne du Maurier's stories are well-crafted and compelling. These aren't her most fascinating sets of scenarios and protagonists, but they're all well done. She had an amazing way of seeing how the world/people worked, even from the very early stories of her career, which some of these are.

I'm also impressed by her ability to mimic any genre, yet write as always in her own very recognisable style.
Linda
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, fiction
14 great short stories. I enjoyed them but there are better collections of her stories. I really enjoyed No Motive, Indiscretion and my favourite one Split Second.
Daniel
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Daphne Du Maurier be like “imma make you rage, laugh and lament, and make it look effortless”.
In-fact, Du Maurier makes it look so effortless that she manages to inspire wine-soaked rape-apologist Judy Finnigan. Only for said husband sufferer to resort to eight glasses of wine instead of four to drown her sorrows that are born of the realisation that no-one could ever reach the heights of Daphne Du Maurier.
Betsy
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Uff, not a great collection for me at the moment. Many stories I skimmed right through because there just wasn't a story to tell. The first was the most captivating: in the first sentence a happily married wife kills herself and a private detective is hired to find out why. The rest were lacklustre.
Jae
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written and intriguing short stories, each with a twist at the end. Expertly narrated/performed by Edward de Souza.
Wayne
Feb 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Daphne's Fans
Recommended to Wayne by: her often brilliantly original stories

Enjoyable enough between better books.

And why isn't it among the better books??

Like dear old Agatha Christie and Enid Blyton, it just doesn't measure up to what one expects of Literature.
Which is not to say it is not entertaining, unputdownable and
re-readable at all.
Unfortunately writers like this are not invited to the Major Writers' Festivals.I heard Australia's Di Morrissey interviewed a week ago and she told how she was treated as secondclass when she attended the Sydney Writers' Festival a
William Wren
This collection of short stories, some of them from very early in Daphne du Maurier’s career, before her novels, is uneven. However, it does illustrate her approach of putting very ordinary, even uninteresting people into very unsettling situations (not unlike the narrator of Rebecca).

When the stories are good, they’re quite good, like No Motive, The Rendezvous, and Split Second. Sometimes, however, they seem self-indulgent: an excuse to vent in a roundabout way, as with Angels and Archangels.
Callum Young
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Joy  Cagil
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book because it is by Daphne Du Maurier, the author of Rebecca, Frenchman’s Creek, and other novels and short stories that mesmerized me in the past. This collection, published in 1980, is one of the last if not the last.

Not all the fourteen stories live up to the highest expectations from this author but most of them do with several surprising twists and excellent storytelling and then others with the dark, foreboding du Maurier tone. As in Rebecca, Du Maurier uses Gothic themes
LadyS
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it

This was a collection of 14 short stories, many of which were mysteries. Overall this was a delightful collection even though some of the stories were noticeably more memorable than others.
My favorites of the 14 stories that I found engaging and well done were:

No motive- a young wife with a seemingly perfect life commits suicide and a private detective uncovers the mystery of why. It was difficult for the reader to guess the details that could have possibly influenced the suicide. This
Emily Gibbs
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
I love Daphne du Maurier books, so I was expecting something great from this one. However, my expectations were not met. I found that, in order to keep to the requirements of a 'short story', Maurier was cutting off the storylines before they really became interesting. I was left unsatisfied with most of the stories, as she left them at a cliffhanger when it would have been better to tell the whole story in most cases. My favourite story was 'No motive' - it was a classic detective story where t ...more
Tracey
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is just an amazing collection of short stories by Daphne du Maurier, she certainly is a master in bringing about the nuances of characters and creating intriguing interactions.
The collection is a little bit uneven but there are some absolute corkers. The first story No Motive seemed like it was tailor made for a TV detective to solve.
Some of the stories like The Supreme Artist and The Lover are more character studies and I enjoyed them. I really loved Adieu Sagesse as a bland man is bored
Adrienne Jones
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Du Maurier at her best is splendid. This is not my favorite book of hers. The stories are uneven in quality.

The stories were entertaining enough that I finished the book, but they weren't memorable for the most part. I recommend Rebecca and The Birds for more engaging examples of her work.
Becka
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
A little uneven - although she's such a master at writing from each character's perspective that sometimes it's easy to get lost in the story even when the plot feels contrived. The first and last stories in this collection struck me as the most effective, because they have that tinge of melancholy as well as a sly twist. I do think she's at her best when writing a character with heart, rather than just someone awful. Those are always the ones that stick with me, anyway.
Sarah O'Toole
May 12, 2020 rated it liked it
A patchy collection - but really interesting to read. From the introduction, I understood that this is a mixture of earlier and later stories, so you can really see the development of Du Maurier as a writer. Three of the stories - "No Motive" "The Rendezvous" and "Escort" are outstanding, the rest are reasonably entertaining, and in a couple of them you can really see the writer is struggling to find her way. I'd highly recommend it for "No Motive" alone.
Debra Manskey
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another title I've been revisiting through audiobooks and the reader, Edward De Souza really added to the enjoyment. Like all collections, this is a mixed bag of stories, some resonated more with me than others and some feel quite understandably dated. But overall, this is a good example of the timelessness of good writing.
Marilyn Brine
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I needed an audiobook for my car and this collection was on the library shelves. Since Daphne DuMaurier had been my favorite author as a teenager, I decided to take out this audio CD. Some stories were good but others, less than interesting... I can't give it one star because of what she gave me in Rebecca and Frenchman's Creek and all the other lovely stories on the moors of southwest England.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Water Shall Refuse Them
  • Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog
  • Tribes
  • All God's Children
  • The Hidden Brain: How Our Unconscious Minds Elect Presidents, Control Markets, Wage Wars, and Save Our Lives
  • Putin's People: How the KGB Took Back Russia and Then Took On the West
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • I'm the King of the Castle
  • Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line
  • The Social Leap: The New Evolutionary Science of Who We Are, Where We Come From, and What Makes Us Happy
If Daphne du Maurier had written only Rebecca, she would still be one of the great shapers of popular culture and the modern imagination. Few writers have created more magical and mysterious places than Jamaica Inn and Manderley, buildings invested with a rich character that gives them a memorable life of their own.

In many ways the life of Daphne du Maurier resembles a fairy tale. Born into a fami