Start by marking “Payback and a Bottle of Merlot (Like Sisters #1)” as Want to Read:
Payback and a Bottle of Merlot (Like Sisters #1)

Payback and a Bottle of Merlot

(Like Sisters #1)

Mia James almost had it all…
At thirty, she was a successful photographer with the craziest but most loyal friends in the world and a wonderful life in a picturesque village. The only things missing were a husband and a brood of kids. Love happens when you least expect it, her mom always said.
An appointment to show her photography portfolio brought her front and center
Published December 14th 2014 by Bria Marche (first published December 12th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Payback and a Bottle of Merlot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Payback and a Bottle of Merlot

Start your review of Payback and a Bottle of Merlot (Like Sisters #1)
Rebecca Bezuyen
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Cheesy Payback and a bottle of vodka please

I'm not sure how to begin. "Thank God it was free?" This book is purely fairy tale and only happens when a woman fantasized about changing her life.

The relationship with Aaron was a complete farce. I wanted to skip over their dialogue because it was like listening to high schoolers flirt.

Reggie the dog pops up out of no where and apparently, he isn't a toy poodle like I imagined. Still not sure what kind of dog he is...

Hooking up with a hot camp
Tracy Kellies
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I found this book very far-fetched and juvenile. It was poorly written and did not really have a natural flow to it. The story was also dragged out and might have been better if it was a short novella. With that being said, it was actually an entertainingly funny read. The overall concept was intriguing and was a great story on how women scorned can be vengeful. The plot is also very similar to the movie, The Other Woman...
Megan
Jun 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book was AWFUL. It was poorly written, and I swear, if I saw the word "moaned" or "shaft" one more time, I was going to scream! By the end, I was just laughing my head off at the romantic scenes. I am usually a lover of any book with a dog in it, but poor Reggie was just an afterthought. "Oh yeah, time to walk the dog." (Spoiler ahead...but not really because it's pretty obvious) Mia and her friends are petty and bizarre, and how realistic is it for you to become immediate and fast friends ...more
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 14/12/2014
Author: Bria Marche
Recommended for: fans of 'chick lit'
Edition: Kindle

I found this novel on the Kindle Store for free and so I thought that I would give it a try. This novel is a lighthearted and fun story to read, it isn't serious and has a few funny moments in it. The main character Mia is very well developed and described in this book (which can be read as a stand alone book) and her group of friends are all very likeable and relateable. It is a rather girly book, which
Amy
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit-fluff, 2015
Man these free Kindle reads are not that great - but they're free and quick and easy and great to fill in between runs to the library. Once again this one had some glaring grammatical/word use errors. Had a decent premise (who doesn't like a revenge story?) but a bit overdone - especially the Aaron storyline.
Stefanie
Oh no. OH NO, was this bad. How bad, you ask? So, impossibly bad.

Mia's shitty husband is verbally and emotionally abusive, a liar, a cheater, and very secretive, and all her friends and family hate him (there is no good explanation for why she married him, or why he married her). I expected a cute girl power book where Mia tells the other woman that Jack is a jerk and a liar and they tell him to fuck off. Instead, Mia and her horrible friends team up with Jack's ex-wife to concoct a cruel and
Hasanthi
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my very first book of Bria Marche. The story was epic and I am so glad I purchased the book via Amazon. I put away everything else to finish this one off. From the very beginning it was super exciting. I loved Mia and her friends so very much. Being betrayed by your husband, while he pretends to the whole wide world that he is happily married is a terrible situation. Mia getting to who her husband really is and how her friends stand by her side is great. The value of true friendship, ...more
Em
Dec 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Payback and a bottle of Merlot.
The book was free. Thank you. Full credit for writing the book. Would have been good chicklit at half the word count and sharper tighter scenarios. Needs proof reader.

The Merlot and Reggie the dog were the heroes. Of course the Merlot was non alcoholic, not (with all the drinking and driving)

Reggie gets a Kindle Oscar 'for dog with the strongest bladder' and as for the heroine, Mia, to her goes a shovel to remove the .....as for me, I could not write a book, so
Carla
Sep 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
I think it was a good thought to think but not to write. It was very passive-aggressive, somewhat immature, there was cheating both ways and way too much alcohol. I was seriously with her mom, she needed an intervention because that is what seemed to make her world revolve. I am not a prude by any means but I am disappointed in myself that I finished the book because of all of the above.
Jenn
Aug 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
Urgh. This book is awful. The female protagonist has these monologues all over the place but you don't know if she's thinking them or constantly talking to herself because the author never bothers to tell you. What a twist!
The writing is juvenile at best. I hated it.
Sami
Aug 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF. The writing is as painful as her heroine is a doormat.
Amanda
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Two words is all I need for this book " OH, SNAP!" .
Vickie Noel
Revenge, like the title implies, is the theme of this book. Mia discovers her husband has been cheating on her and even in his first marriage with the same girl! With the help of her best friends, Vic and Tina, alongside additional members of the team, Mia plots the perfect revenge tactic to use on Jack and in the most unexpected manner! It was a great read and I was very engrossed when I started reading it but started getting bored with frequent repetition, like Mia's thoughts on Aaron as the ...more
Gemma
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
I know a bottle of merlot is right there in the title... but my god there was soooo much wine!!!
Ok, so I had mixed feelings about this one. As much as I hate cheaters, I feel like the girls went above and beyond with their payback... there has to be quite a lot of bad inside to be able to do that even in those circumstances. Why not just give the photos his boss let them know who he really is, let Sasha know who he really is without the grand scheming? I guess that would not a godd book make...
Jayme Carruthers
Meet Mia. She's a beautiful blonde who is married to a jerk named Jack. He's constantly spending the night in the city (without her). He doesn't care about her friends. He really doesn't seem to care about her at all. He's supposed to have split custody with his ex-wife, but Mia has never even MET his daughter that he goes into the city to see all the time.

Fast forward to the moment that Mia discovers the reason Jack is always gone late at night. He's got a hot mystery model that he's giving a
Jo-Anne
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Women who like humorous stories
Recommended to Jo-Anne by: Blogger
Shelves: own
This is a fun story about Mia finding out her husband is cheating. Hard to believe but it really is humorous. I loved the way she decided to get payback before divorcing him. Mia calls in her two friends, Vic and Tina, to help with her plan. It gets even better when she pulls in his ex-wife and even his mistress!

Some of the things these women think of doing to Jack the Jerk (Mia's husband) are hilarious. Of course they have wine while meeting to hash out the details of plan. What would a meeting
Sandra Lopez
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Mia is distanced from her workaholic, controlling husband. Everyone keeps telling her that Jack isn’t right for her, no matter how much Mia defends his careless antics. After all, he wasn’t like this in the beginning. They can get back to the way things were. Right?

Can she stay with Mr. Wrong and be pissed off the rest of her life?

Mia was stuck in a loveless marriage but was still determined to make it work, until she catches him one day with another woman. The bastard wasted 3 years of her
Heather
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't absolutely hate this book but I also didn't love it. It was written with short disjointed sentences and some things were added in unnecessary. I also thought the plot was kind of ridiculous. It was unrealistic and felt like forced.

Story of a woman who is unhappy in her marriage and seeks to "destroy" her husband. Tells of her friends and their support and assistance in an elaborate (and unrealistic) plot to bring him down.

If I was one of those who was able to stop reading a book once
lesley boughton
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
An inbetween book

When I've read a really good book, the characters or story stays with me. I'm not ready for a similar read, so choose something lighter; entirely different. This was my inbetween book. It was shallow, incredulous and peppered with unbelievable characters, especially Mia, the for want of a better word, heroine. The male lead was drawn as duplicitous and totally without morals, yet his company and colleagues are unaware of this. Again, unbelievable. I won't be following the
Tristin
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Fast easy read

The book seemed pretty rushed. By chapter 3, you knew what the main problem was and how it was going to be fixed. I feel like the book put so much effort into building up the break up between Jack and Mia and it was not justified in the two pages it had allocated to it.

I plan on trying out the next book, as I liked the characters in the book. We will see how it goes!
Laura Skidmore
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a nice wast Kindle read and while I did enjoy reading it, it was a bit far fetched so much that I couldn't get into the story line as much as I wanted to. The characters were semi developed, which made it difficult to relate to them at all, and the author glossed over the complexities of the relationship we were watching end. Aside from the friendships, all romantic relationships lacked any realistic characteristics. But for an entertaining read on the train, it kept my attention.
Aimee
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
While I am not a vindictive person, I can respect what these women did in order to get back at an obvious douchey guy who deserves everything he gets.

It was a bit more telling than showing, like I was reading a list of what they were doing. Felt the new budding romances a bit rushed and unbelievable, but the end was hopeful and happy.

Easy, light, read - and made me want to get a bunch of my girl friends together and drink more wine and see each other more.
Felicity
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
An easy and fun read. Nothing complicated or serious. I liked the main characters, I liked the story moving along quickly and the light descriptions seemed to work. It was not a deep book in any way but that was fine. I would recommend this as an in between read or something to read when life is a bit busy.
S
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Strong women and payback

This is a good story that shows how good friends can help get you through your struggles and lift you up. Add some wine and a brainstorm session after you see your husband cheating on you and you come up with payback to take your soon to be ex down a peg or two.
Annette Aguilar
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I wish I could give it ten stars! Super funny plot! Full of so much fun, anguish, twists, turns, and surprises! Never a dull moment, with lots of wine and good friends heartbreak can be so rewarding! Best friends plus two make a lot of mayhem to get even with a cheating jerk! Way to go girls! Loved, loved it!
Queen Talk Talk
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: modern-romance
Some men deserve it.

Yes, it is possible to kill love. These strong sassy women hurt him where it counts. Love encompasses kindness, respect, and passion. Without Jack around they might find happiness.
Courtney
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This novel had a lot of up and down moments for me. One moment, I was completely sure I wouldn't keep reading it, the next I couldn't seem to put it down because I wanted to know what happened. In the end, I'm glad I stuck with it and finished it out. ...more
Jackie Williams
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Putting aside personal morals, I thought this was a GOOD chick book. As vindictive as I want to be I loved how the lady characters got even. I felt the end was rushed though, minus one star. I am interested in the series.
Queen Victoria
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Revenge chick lit

Loved how the main character grew and overcame a bad relationship, with a huge side of revenge. I felt the end of the book was rushed though it was still a great book.
Shayna Dobbins
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute fun and exciting

This story was a fun beach read. It was like a revenge story fairy tale mix. Everything fell together perfectly. Exactly how you want it to from the beginning and it is sweet.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Simply Anna: She was simply furious, but he was simply divine...
  • Emmaline Waters, This Is Your Life
  • My Favorite Husband (Romantic Comedy Duo, #1)
  • The Extra (The Extra Series, #1)
  • Taste for Trouble (Blake Brothers Trilogy, #1)
  • Dying for a Date (Laurel McKay Mysteries, #1)
  • Batter Up (Bachelors of Buttermilk Falls, #1)
  • Bon Bons to Yoga Pants (The Health and Happiness Society, #1)
  • Love Handles (Oakland Hills, #1)
  • Meet Clara Andrews (Clara Andrews, #1)
  • Dazed and Divorced (Rom-Com on the Edge #1)
  • A Fresh Start In Holly Blue Bay (A Holly Blue Bay Romance Book 1)
  • Only In America
  • Talk to Me
  • Friends With Partial Benefits (Friends With Benefits #1)
  • Always You (The Agency)
  • The New Mrs D
  • I Temporarily Do
Bria Marche has spent most of her adult years living near Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She is a member of numerous writer’s organizations including, Fiction for All, Fiction Factor and Writers-Online.

Along with writing, she also enjoys many forms of art, especially creating tangible objects herself. She loves to travel worldwide and is an avid bicyclist.

Like Sisters (5 books)
  • Insecurity and a Bottle of Merlot (Like Sisters #2)
  • Destiny and a Bottle of Merlot (Like Sisters #3)
  • Intrigue and a Bottle of Merlot (Like Sisters #4)
  • Desire and a Bottle of Merlot (Like Sisters #5)
“Fireworks and alcohol, the perfect combination.” 1 likes
“There’s a lot of men willing to give their right nut to go out with you. Move on and meet the real deal, or don’t. Stay with Mr. Wrong and be pissed off for the rest of your life.” 0 likes