Start by marking “Christ and Your Problems” as Want to Read:
Christ and Your Problems

Christ and Your Problems

christ and your problems paperback
Published January 1st 1992 by P & R Publishing (first published 1971)

Jon Harris
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, counseling
The principle that stood out to me most regarding this booklet was the idea of “hope.” There is hope in the message of Christianity no matter what the circumstance. 1 Cor. 10:13 guarantees that no matter what the temptation, God has always made a “way of escape.” Dr. Adams emphasizes this concept for a good reason. Often times when counselees are looking for help, they are skeptical as to whether that help actually exists simply because of modern psychology. Modern psychology, according to Adam ...more
Charlene
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Perhaps I allowed my expectations to be too high. All references I saw regarding this booklet were ones in which a couselor gave it to a counselee.

If I were the counselee I would have thrown it away as it is painfully hard to understand the author's connections to the scripture reference of 1 Corinthians 10:13.

I will come back at another time to read it once more, but for now, I will not be handing out any copies to those I counsel.
Daniel Baltich
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty Good
Adam's uses 1 Cor. 10:13 to remind people that no matter what their problem with sin may be, God has offered a way through it that pleases Him and that God will not task us with what we cannot handle. Adams reminds us that in order to escape the trial we must commit to meeting the problem God's way and take responsibility for our sinful actions.
Troy Nevitt
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A really helpful book for people helping others. I wouldn't give this book to the one that's struggling through their problems. This book is geared to the helper rather than the one being helped. I feel that there are much better resources by Adams, but this isn't too bad.
Michael Dionne
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Timely, helpful reflections from 1 Corinthians 10:13. A strong exhortation to the believer who has become self-absorbed in his or her problems, to see God's sovereignty in each and every situation and to cling to the opportunity to reflect Christ in the midst of trial.
Alan Yau
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Alan by: TMS PM512A Pastoral Counseling
Concise booklet on 1 Corinthians 10:13, with helpful illustrations.
Marie
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read as part of my Intro to Biblical Counseling class at college
Justin Magdellini
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jay E. Adams’ pamphlet (32 pages) offers up some incredibly useful reminders for those of us going through various trials. “Christ and Your Problems” is a perfect title. The book focuses almost exclusively on 1 Cor. 10:13. I found six principles in this book, which Adams doesn’t number as such, however they are clear and I think most readers would agree. The big idea in the book is that: Christ is the answer to all of our problems. Okay, no surprise there. At least, for any of us “Christians” wh ...more
Athena Deck
May 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I can see why this booklet was helpful in the past and with older generations, but there is so much of it that is not presented in a relevant way to the post modern generation. I am glad that I read it, partially for historical reasons. The Scripture that is used is definitely still relevant, but the attacks on psychiatry are no longer up to date (most people aren't preaching Freud's beliefs directly and shock therapy isn't as common). However there are newer ways that psychiatry is off the path ...more
Felisha Sandifer
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book to read and at first I thought oh what a cute little pamphlet... This will go quickly. Boy was I wrong! This book rocked me on my heels more than a few times but in that loving and firm way God does so perfectly. If you are in victim mode beware as you will find no rest for your whining. I've read it a few times and know I will read it many many more. This is what I call a forever book.
Dan Glover
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a brief but solid tract on why Scripture, the indwelling Holy Spirit, the encouragement of the church, the counsel of a pastor or elder, the love of God the Father and the redeeming work of Christ are all a Christian needs to deal with problems and issues in their life. Trying to add modern psychology or self-help programs to the tools God supplies will only subtract from a Christian's toolbox.
Shaun Marksbury
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just finished a re-read of this booklet, and it is a must have for counselors and counselees alike. It exposits 1 Corinthians 10:13, "No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it." We use it at the jail with inmates - concise and to the point.
Eowyn Dean
Great for handing out to people when talking through stuff isn't helping. Sometimes people don't want to change—they just want a sympathetic ear. If that's the case, a book will stop it short, and maybe jolt them out of that rut.
Amy
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the first books I use with my counselees. Very simple booklet but very applicable to having a better understanding how Christ can be seen in and loved through your problems.
Andy
Aug 20, 2012 added it
Shelves: owned
Jonathan Klimek
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Based on 1 Corinthians 10:13, this book provides encouragement, hope and counsel for dealing with sin and trials.
Seth Channell
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just read for the second time. Helpful booklet for people who need hope in the midst of problems.
Eric Durso
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: counseling
30 pages. If you're a pastor, stock up on these. Hope for struggling sinners.
Chris Huff
Nov 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great little booklet that gives hope to anyone struggling with sin.
Mark Shingleton