Start by marking “Business By The Book: Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace” as Want to Read:
Business By The Book: Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace

Business By The Book: Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  279 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
What would happen if you made your business decisions by the book? By the Bible that is.

This updated version of the best-selling Business by the Book offers radical principles of business management that go beyond the Ten Commandments and other biblical maxims.

Business by the Book is a step-by-step presentation of how businesses should be run according to the Creator of al
Published January 1st 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published November 30th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Business By The Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Business By The Book

Michelle
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Michelle by: Robert Owens
Excellent book on running a truly godly business.

I once worked for a man who, at the annual Christmas party, said, "This is God's company." Every other business day this man was surly, threatening, deplorable. I don't think anyone liked working for him. What a mockery of what a godly company should be. I once entertained the idea of slipping this book onto his desk. I didn't have the guts to actually do it though... after all he had threatened to cut off my fingers and make me eat them if I misp
Jen Justice
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
If you are a Christian and own a business or are considering starting a business, you need to read this book. I consider myself a very conscientious person with high integrity and yet I was challenged and convicted by the stories Burkett tells of Christian business men and women making extremely difficult choices for their businesses to honor God and choose His ways and not the world's. Many of the principles he outlines sound familiar and expected, but when put in context of actual situations, ...more
Adam
Oct 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Business books are a dime a dozen. This is one that was required reading for my MBA course work, and it delivers on it's promise. Burkett lays out some very simple philosophy: treat people right and good things happen for you.
Jimmy
Excellent book on how businesses should be run.
Judi Aaron
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read for all business owners and managers

Yes, the Bible is relevant for our lives today - our Monday through Saturday lives as well as our Sunday ones. Larry Burkette has studied this extensively and is able to relate this in a manner that even new Christians can grasp. God is our Lord 7 days a week. And His ways are better than ours, especially in business. But it isn't just for grins, it's for our own good as well as that for our brothers and sisters in Christ. it's an easy read and still
Kevin Cullis
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'd recommend this book for ANYONE who is considering starting and growing a business. Overall great information, however the content is mostly for later in a business startup, it's a great resources to reading it before you get to a certain stage of your business. Consider it for future growth.
Chad Warner
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian business owners
This book tells how to run your business by biblical principles. It covers many topics of interest to Christian business owners, including keeping vows, hiring, borrowing, pricing, lawsuits, and tithing. It advocates a different approach to running a business: "one more concerned with eternity than profits." I'm not sure I agree with Burkett 100% on all points, but even so, his book is a worthwhile guide to what the Bible says on these topics.

Burkett seems to cherry-pick verses a bit; I wish he
Henk-Jan van der Klis
Velen van ons zijn werkzaam in het bedrijfsleven; een aantal heeft een eigen zaak of bekleedt een managementpositie in een onderneming. Hoe ga als christen op maandag tot en met zaterdag om met allerlei praktische aspecten van zakendoen, omgang met medewerkers, besteding van geld en het afleggen van verantwoording? Larry Burkett opent de Bijbel en beschrijft radicale, eeuwenoude principes voor het dagelijks leven van ondernemers en managers, laat zien waarom ‘menselijke inzettingen’ die afwijken ...more
Chido Nwakanma
Apr 21, 2016 added it
Shelves: own
Larry Burkett spells out principles based on The Word that would assist business people.
It promises "a radical approach to business management" if implemented. It is indeed radical. The prescriptions are sensible in most cases, and outlandish in others.
Most people would identify with the five instances of "business bondage" the book identifies, including in particular overwork and disorganisation. Most entrepreneurs fall into this trap.
I often go back to the "Basic Biblical Minimums" the book
Ginger
Apr 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all entrepreneurs
This book was much better than I anticipated. A thorough, easy-to-read book on all aspects of running a fair, ethical, business with many real-life examples of both good and poor choices. This book truly demonstrates how to run a business God's way, putting people first, and with biblical principles about honesty, debt, paying your vendors, and investment and expansion. Mr. Burkett has got me to focus more on investing in and treating right my co-workers, not just my clients.
  • Earn the Right to Win: How Success in Any Field Starts with Superior Preparation
  • Descending Into Greatness
  • Flipping the Switch: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • Rhinoceros Success: The Secret to Charging Full Speed Toward Every Opportunity
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy
  • A Lasting Promise: A Christian Guide to Fighting for Your Marriage
  • Creating Your Personal Life Plan: A Step-by-Step Guide for Designing the Life You've Always Wanted
  • Make Your Contacts Count: Networking Know-How for Business and Career Success
  • The One-Life Solution: Reclaim Your Personal Life While Achieving Greater Professional Success
  • The Spirit to Serve: Marriott's Way
  • No: Why Kids--of All Ages--Need to Hear It and Ways Parents Can Say It
  • How to Get Out of Debt, Stay Out of Debt, and Live Prosperously: Based on the Proven Principles and Techniques of Debtors Anonymous
  • Halftime: Changing Your Game Plan from Success to Significance
  • Man Alive: Transforming Your Seven Primal Needs into a Powerful Spiritual Life
  • Leadership by the Book: Tools to Transform Your Workplace
Larry Burkett was an American author and radio personality whose work focused on financial counseling from an evangelical Christian point of view. Burkett was born the fifth of eight children. After completing high school in Winter Garden, Florida, he entered the U.S. Air Force where he served in the Strategic Air Command.

Upon completion of his military duties, Burkett and his wife Judy returned t
More about Larry Burkett...
“Paul: “If any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do. An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, uncontentious, free from the love of money” (1 Timothy 3:1–3).” 1 likes
“Most Americans could retire on what they waste on car loans.” 0 likes