Start by marking “The Chicago World's Fair of 1893: A Photographic Record” as Want to Read:
The Chicago World's Fair of 1893: A Photographic Record

The Chicago World's Fair of 1893: A Photographic Record

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  176 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Originally conceived to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Columbus's discovery of America, the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893 was one of the largest (633 acres) and most influential aggregations of human talent, energy, and industry ever assembled. More than 27 million visitors entered the grounds (now Jackson Park) to marvel at the exhibits and displays housed in ...more
Published June 1st 1980 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Chicago World's Fair of 1893, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chicago World's Fair of 1893

Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: architecture
I am curious to know. Where would your trusty time machine take you, if you could turn its brass-plated dials to a particular day, month and year of the past? Would you want to go to Rome 100 B.C. and watch the bloody gladiatorial battles? Or watch the D-Day Invasion in 1944 from a ship in the English Channel? Or see the Coronation of Catherine the Great? Or witness the assassination of Lincoln or Archduke Ferdinand? Or see the Ziegfeld Follies on Broadway in 1915? Or perch atop a hill a mile fr ...more
Timothy Grubbs
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book. Obviously a it's very specific so it might not appeal to everyone.

I consider this a good resource for anyone interested in the 1893 Chicago worlds fair.
Nov 29, 2007 rated it liked it
A friend left this at my house and I just expected to look at the pictures in the book so that I could get a better perspective on the buildings of the 1893 Columbian Exposition after reading Devil in the White City. I did get that out of the book, but out found the commentary to be the great draw-back to the book. Granted, it was published nearly 30 years ago be a easterner, but I found the the commentary to be biased against ANY design that did not come off a drafting table in New York City. B ...more
Jeff Crosby
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
An unofficial pictorial companion, in many ways, to Erik Larson's best-seller "The Devil in the White City," this photographic record of the 1893 Columbian Exposition/Chicago World's Fair shows the development of Jackson Park near Chicago, where the fair was built out of nothing in a very short amount of time, against numerous obstacles. The images of this temporary "city" are quite stunning, and answered a number of questions I had as I read through Larson's work of history. Appelbaum's essays ...more
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chicago
Wonderful collection of photographs, many rare, taken for and during the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago. These visuals were drawn from the collections at the Avery Library of Columbia University and the Chicago Historical Society. This short work is first and foremost a picture book, but there is some textual commentary supplied by Stanley Appelbaum.
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Got this book because I was reading Devil In The White City. Wanted to see the layout and pics of what the heck the author was talking about regarding the Chicago World's Fair (CWF).
It served just this purpose.
I skimmed the text but really it was more of a point-of-reference book for the pictures.

I would totally recommend this for anyone wanting to get a greater pictorial sense of the CWF.
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it
As the other reviews say: worth it for the photographs, not so much the commentary. Some might be a little disappointed by the focus on the neo-classical prestige buildings and not parts us moderns would find of vastly more interest, like the first Ferris wheel, the first Japanese building in the US, Wild Bill's show, etc, but it's still much better than nothing.
Oct 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: architecture
Just was reminded by a 'goodreads friend' about this work. Now I need to figure out in what safe place I stashed it. Or it is in one of 'the boxes'.

I'll eventually add a different review obviously!!
May 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Anna by: Keith Morgan
An excellent companion read for Erik Larson's Devil in the White City, this book provides the one thing Larson's book really needed - pictures. The text is far from compelling, but the photographs, which make up the bulk of the book, are awesome.
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
The writing is pretty boring and academic but this book is all about the photos - over 100 gorgeous, rare pictures of the fair. Since I'm a geek and love the history of the fair, I really enjoyed this.
Amanda Carr
Wonderful accompaniment to Larson's, Devil in the White City, this book has beautiful images and information about the buildings, architecture, and designers that went into making up the Chicago World's Fair of 1893.

Sad to think that all of buildings are gone!
Ada  Library

Sad to think that all of buildings are gone!
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Unfortunately, this one is pretty tedious--not anywhere near as interesting as Appelbaum's account of the 1939/40 World's Fair. All we ever seem to hear about is architecture--and it's some pretty tedious architecture at that (sterile and derivative evocations of a long-gone era).
David Eppenstein
A delightfully illustrated history of Chicago's 1893 World's Fair.
This is a great accompaniment to Devil in the White City because of all the photographs.
Joe Brunory
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An in depth look at the fair... great detail.
May 19, 2014
Jun 18, 2014
Oct 06, 2014
Mar 08, 2017
Lynne B. Hunt
rated it did not like it
Aug 29, 2017
  • City of the Century: The Epic of Chicago and the Making of America
  • Leopold and Loeb: The Crime of the Century
  • AIA Guide to New York City: The Classic Guide to New York's Architecture
  • The Making of Gone with the Wind
  • Fallingwater Rising: Frank Lloyd Wright, E. J. Kaufmann, and America's Most Extraordinary House
  • Higher: A Historic Race to the Sky and the Making of a City
  • Let's Bring Back: An Encyclopedia of Forgotten-Yet-Delightful, Chic, Useful, Curious, and Otherwise Commendable Things from Times Gone By
  • Sleeping Beauty: Memorial Photography in America
  • Castles: Their Construction and History
  • Twilight at the World of Tomorrow : Genius, Madness, Murder, and the 1939 World's Fair on the Brink of  War
  • Skyscrapers