Start by marking “Wild Magic” as Want to Read:
Wild Magic

Wild Magic

Dark, magical and exciting, Cat Weatherill's new fantasy takes the legend of the Pied Piper and gives it an unexpected twist.

Mari and her brother Jakob have followed the enchanted music and are now trapped in a world of wild magic. A world as cruel as it is beautiful. And all the time, they are being stalked by a fearsome beast, who needs one of the children to
Published July 5th 2007 by Puffin

Vanessa
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
I bought this book on a whim last weekend because the title intrigued me, the cover was pretty and the description was interesting. Sometimes despite all that promise, a book has still failed to deliver, but thankfully Wild Magic was mostly a pleasant surprise.

This book is a retelling of the story of the Pied Piper of Hamelin. After the piper successfully rid the town of their rat infestation and is refused payment, he plays his pipe again and leads the children of Hamelin away with
Shadowdenizen
Aug 15, 2017 is currently reading it
Pre-Read; Awesome! A new book on the "Pied Piper" mythology. Not sure how I missed this in the past, but thanks to Gloria for pointing this title out to me! :)
Denise
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We listened to this on a long road trip to Washington, D.C., after listening to The Name Of This Book Is Secret (also a fun one, but...) I really enjoyed the author's reading of her own material. She does slightly different voices for characters, but not in an intrusive, annoying way. As a professional storyteller, she knows how to build suspense and kept us all (me, hubs, 10 year-old dd and 5 1/2 year-old boy ) enthralled for nearly straight 7+ hours. At times I felt it was a bit violent and sc ...more
Pandora
Nov 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Every wonder what happen after the Pied Piper took the children to the mountain? Cat Weatherill answers this question with this magical story. She spins a new adventure but, like a good storyteller stays true to the source material. For anyone who has felt draw to the strange story of the Pied Piper this should be a good read.

Mel Raschke
This re-imagining of the Pied Piper tale gets off to a chilling start with the Piper leading every child in town to a watery grave. Or at least that’s what the sorrowful adults think is happening. Turns out, the Piper is an elf and he is leading the youths to the hidden world of Elvendale to find out which of the children has the ability to release him from his curse. A flashback fills in the details: long ago, the Piper (named Finn) was cursed to turn into a beast each full moon, and only a mag ...more
Shannon
Oct 21, 2010 rated it liked it
A beautiful version of "The Pied Piper of Hamelin". Following the magical piper the children of Hamelin enter the fairy realm through a magical door. On the other side their excited giddiness turns to panic and fear. They're trapped. The only one not taken was Jakob, a little crippled boy who tries to follow but lagging so far behind is cut off when the door closes. He is heart broken for he is sure that in the land on the other side he would find a cure for his illness. The book has several cha ...more
Betsy
Nov 03, 2008 rated it liked it
One Sentence Review: While the premise is strong (i.e. what did the kids find when the Pied Piper led them into that mountain?) the fantasy elements are just bit too disjointed to hang together as a whole.
Cristina
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ambriel Prahl
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was one of my favorite books ever it was really really really good
Dawn Demulling
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet book, a modern retelling of the pied piper of Hamelin.

It's an easy, entertaining book: a classic book to read in summer.

I do like happy endings, but this ending seemed a bit contrived. I felt like chapters kept being added on in the end in order to provide the requisite happy ending.

I felt that a bit disjointed ...

Also, the exploration of the villain from his point of view was interesting, and meant to engeander sympathy. But it was also confusing. First the Piper
Michelle
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales
This a re-telling and expansion on the Pied Piper fairy tale. It explains why there was a plague of rats and gives a rationale for why the children are taken. Among the children are Mari and her disabled brother, Jacob. When her brother is separated and Mari is transformed, she finds a way back to try to find him. In the meantime, Jacob has found his own way into the fairyland and marvels at its wonders. The story explores the backstory behind the piper and also explores the meaning of family as ...more
Jenah
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was very nice. It showed me how powerful family love is. It was also suspensefI got very scared during some parts of the book. It made me feel what the characters were feeling. The author put emotion, love, and action into this heartwarming book about the mysteries of magic. I think this book is appropriate for people age 9 and above. I wanted to read it again and again.
Katie Pressley
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great little book! It's subject is kind of strange but it is so good and very original. Those who love magic and fairy tale lands would love this one. It is a well-written book and I read it in like two days because I could not stop turning the pages!
Jessica
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this more, but maybe only because the cover and the title drew me in. I just didn't enjoy it.
Holly
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
GREAT BOOK!!! This book inspired a book that I am currently working on. It is a book that anyone that likes fantasy will love.
Marina Brodsky
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-book-shelf
A great book with a positive role model and character-building messages. Upper elementary - 6 grade.
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the magic in it, just wish it was longer
Copie
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet little book! I loved the magic element in this book and thought it was very well written, I will be reading another one of hers in the future!
Debra
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet. Very young adult fiction. Good can overcome evil, and not everything that is bad is necessarily evil.
Amy
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite stand-alone book ever. I have read it countless times. This world is so magical and beautiful and I found myself utterly absorbed by Cat's storytelling. The characters are so lovely but I would say that the story is carried more by the world and plot. However, this is no bad thing and I actually think it helps to keep the story fascinating and vivid. I felt as though I was in the world myself. Beautiful story and beautiful writing. Love it.
Kelsie Beaudoin (The Bookworm)
Read more reviews at http://readbookwormread.blogspot.com

This book sounded so promising! An elementary telling of the Piper’s story? But there were several problems with this book that really stood out to me. And ultimately caused me to revoke the stars I wanted to give it.

One was the ease with which the “chosen” magical child discovers and learns to use his magic. It all happens so fast, too easily, with no training, or attempt to grasp at how, or why he has magic. It made for a very uninteresting read.
Kevin
Feb 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Having recently read an "adult" take on the Pied Piper when I stumbled across this "young adult" one I was intrigued. It turned out to be an interesting and almost touching take.

At first it seems like just a magical twist on the legend; with the Pied Piper luring the children away from Hamelin but through a magical door to Elvendale in order to try and break a centuries old curse.

And this aspect of the story has mystery and magic and adventure. But what really strengthens
Jessi
Aug 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 14+
Recommended to Jessi by: ALA
Shelves: teen, fantasy
I loved this book. It is an ARC, so it won't be released until September 16th. I didn't pick it up right away after I got back from ALA because it looked like a J book, and I had many other reading-commitments to fulfull.

Not a J book. It is a little scary, and the themes are a little dark for most J readers.

The pied piper had a motive, stealing all those kids. One of them was going to let him out of a curse, but he didn't know which one, so he took them all. He takes them
southernmyst
Very good! Didn't plow through it as quickly as her others - I think I'd call it young adult, versus children's, but I also think some of that was wanting to linger in the story longer.

Lots of twists and turns; lots of great characters who were well-developed. (view spoiler) ...more
Muphyn
Oct 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Spooky Cookie, Miss Keks
This is really a nice adaptation of the pied piper legend (or as it's known in German Der Rattenfänger von Hameln). I really enjoyed it, in particular because it is read by the author and she narrates it really, really well!

I'm not sure what the target age group is but I think it might be a bit scary and dark for young children. Fairytale elements, talking animals, terrible beasts, wells that fulfil wishes, are all part of the fantasy and magic land of Elvendale. The ending is especially pre
Erin Quinney
This is a good intro to fantasy for the middle grade reader. It was an interesting story. The characters weren't overly complicated but I think that's fine for a younger reader. The only thing I didn't like was the overabundance of sound effects. I understood why there were so many when I read that Cat Weatherill is a performance storyteller. I'm sure it works much better if you're reading the story aloud. It's a minor quibble anyway. This is a good book.

Now, if only I can convince m
Patricia
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kids, owned
This book has been sitting in my shelf for ages and I finally got around to it. It was okay - the character I thought was the protag (Mari? the girl) turned out to be less important than I thought she should be. Honestly, I've just finished a Protector of the Small reread, so anything less than TP's ladies are going to be a bit of a disappointment I guess. But this book wasn't bad...it just wasn't very good, in my opinion. An interesting take on the story of the Pied Piper though.
Jo
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
I looked forward to this book so much after I read the review. The premise seemed intriguing. However, the characters were not very well drawn - their motivations especially were lacking. Finn was painted to be a bad person then the reader was to swallow that he wasn't so bad after all. The ending was rushed and not given the pages that it needed to resolve the story satisfactorily.
Momo
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Summary: This is a great book about magic and what happened after the piper took the children away. Two siblings get separated and they have to find each other while avoiding the evil piper. Read to find out!
My opinion: it was a great book and fun.
Christian Worldview: it was gruesome and it DID NOT involve god
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Secret History of Tom Trueheart (Tom Trueheart, #1)
  • The Shadow Hunt
  • Lily (Lily, #1)
  • Last to Rise (Rojan Dizon, #3)
  • The Mask of Destiny (Billionaire, #3)
  • Oblivion Road
  • What I Wore to Save the World (Morgan Rawlinson, #3)
  • Rise of the Darklings (The Invisible Order, #1)
  • The Magician's Tower (Oona Crate Mystery, #2)
  • The Friendship
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol. 5 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, #5)
  • Deep Waters
  • The Glass Slipper
  • When Rose Wakes
  • Gypsies
  • A Blackbird in Silver (Blackbird, #1)
  • Wilma Tenderfoot and the Case of the Putrid Poison
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 5 (Children of the Sea, #5)