Start by marking “Hulk: Planet Hulk” as Want to Read:
Hulk: Planet Hulk

Hulk: Planet Hulk (Planet Hulk #1-2)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  10,574 Ratings  ·  449 Reviews
Savage alien planet. Oppressed barbarian tribes. Currupt emperor. Deadly woman warrior. Gladiators and slaves. Battle axes and hand blasters. Monsters and heroes - and the Incredible Hulk! Let the smashing commence!
Published April 16th 2008 by Marvel (first published June 13th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Hulk, please sign up.
DOUGLAS J BERRY The hulk was a scientist named Bruce banner. He was exposed to a gamma bomb that made him a rage based monster. Has caused much damage on earth while…moreThe hulk was a scientist named Bruce banner. He was exposed to a gamma bomb that made him a rage based monster. Has caused much damage on earth while occasionally being a hero. (less)

Alejandro
Smashin’ reading!

This TPB collects the comic book issues #92-105 of “The Incredible Hulk”, also “Planet Hulk: Gladiator Guidebook” and some material from “Giant-Size Hulk #1” and “Amazing Fantasy #15 (Vol.2)”.

Creative Team:

Writer: Greg Pak

Illustrators: Carlo Pagulayan, Aaron Lopresti, Gary Frank & Takeshi Miyazawa

OF MONSTERS AND MEN

The group known, in the Marvel Universe, as The Illuminati: Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards), Iron Man (Tony Stark), Namor, Dr. Strange and Black Bolt, decided t
Anne
Shallow Comics Buddy Read!
Because Thor: Ragnarok.
Duh.

Re-read 2017

Well, it's been 8 years since I originally read this one. sigh
And I was hoping, now that I have a few more comics under my belt, I may feel differently about this all-important Hulk storyline.
Eh. Not really.
It was still basically a chore to get through.

description

Ok, it's not bad. But I had to remind myself that I had promised to read this thing every time I opened it back up. To me, this just didn't do much to make Hulk relatable or
Jan Philipzig
Book blurb: Betrayed by Earth’s heroes and exiled into outer space, the man-monster Hulk has landed on the distant planet Sakaar, ruled by the tyrannical Red King. Sold into slavery, Hulk becomes the Green Scar, the planet’s mightiest gladiator – but his new masters get more than they bargained for when he forges a bond of brotherhood with his fellow fighters…

Considering this is the story of a cosmic uprising, things felt surprisingly bland to me. Sure, there is no shortage of battles and explos
Donovan
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Planet Hulk is the Roman Empire meets the Marvel Universe, with Hulk on a planet of gladiators, slaves, prostitutes, and myriad killer aliens. When Hulk not smash, it explores totalitarianism versus rebellion, love versus hate, monsters versus heroes.
Sam Quixote
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
The Illuminati banished Hulk to a remote alien planet called Sakaar far away from Earth where he would no longer have to worry about hurting anyone or being hurt back. He would finally have peace and might find happiness there. Yeah, right! Tony Stark and co. were wrong - Sakaar is ruled over by a cruel Red King who enslaves Hulk to be the star attraction in his bloodsport. But these aliens have never come across anyone quite like Hulk before…

Billed as the quintessential Hulk storyline, Planet
Jokoloyo
I admit, I read this saga after watched "Thor: Ragnarok" Movie. The Hulk as a gladiator, teaming with Warbound. The other Warbound that appeared in the movie was Korg.

This story in general more like a Planetary Adventure than Super-hero story. The warbound seems inspired by Spartacus story. The story is predictable and I prefer to treat the story finished after the main bad guy of Planet Hulk Saga defeated.

But as in common DC/Marvel stories, there are fillers and foreshadowing for next saga. If
Trekscribbler
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Every so often, there comes a tale -- with equal parts passion and pathos, with equal parts pride and prejudice -- that not only redefines what a character has meant throughout the already visited pages upon pages of illustrated storylines but also re-establishes the hero as a dominant force for storytellers, readers, the company's universe, and (arguably) the entire comic book industry. PLANET HULK is such a masterpiece.

It's difficult to talk about the adventure without giving too many element
Sesana
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Actually a 3.5, rounding up. I'm actually, legitimately surprised that I liked this book as much as I did. When I saw what a major chunk this book was, I skeptical that a Hulk book could hold my attention for that long. I read it in one sitting. The first couple of issues were admittedly a little slow going, but once I got into the swing of things I was highly entertained. Sure, it was probably all just an excuse to shoehorn a well-known character into a totally different kind of story, but Hulk ...more
Ran
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Hulk gets shuttled off planet Earth because ... well, apparently the Hulk has no friends on Earth anymore.* They all suck, particularly Reed Richards (ha, like that's a secret). But the Hulk lands not where he was supposed to - instead he lands on Sakaar, a planet with a prophecy that a figure called Sakaarson will come to save and unite the people (multiple actors here - pink humanoids, bug creatures, shadow-people silver humanoids, etc). It gets very Dune-esque from therein.

Like any good epic
Bookwraiths
Great premise, good story, okay art, and rushed ending. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I should have due to pacing problems. Glad I read it though.
J
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel-comics, 2016
I was very impressed with this.

I consider myself a Hulk fan (like, I've always liked the two 21st century movies despite recognizing that they kind of suck. Yeah, I think I even liked the 2003 one). I read World War Hulk last year and enjoyed it. I probably should have read this one first, but whatever. It's still cohesive.

Anyway, I watched the animated film version of this book two months ago and really liked it. That benefited me here because this starts after Hulk has already been stranded on
Jesse A
Another meh.

Reread: I liked this one quite a bit more the 2nd time around.
Chad
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Rereading in preparation for Thor: Ragnorok.

Here's where the Illuminati start causing trouble. They decide the Hulk is too dangerous and blast his ass to outer space. They meant to send him to an uninhabited planet where he could chase bunny rabbits through fields all day, but his ship gets sucked into a wormhole and dumps him out on Sakaar instead. For some reason, society is a more brutal version of Roman civilization. Hulk becomes a slave and fights as a gladiator and we all know how that is
Garrett
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really surprised that I liked this one, considering I don't like a lot of Hulk comics. The story is basically Ridley Scott's Gladiator on an alien planet with Hulk, but the thing that stands out to me is the artwork. The world that this story takes place on is actually pretty interesting and there are a lot of cool alien creatures. It's a really entertaining read I honestly could not put it down. I highly recommend this to Hulk fans.
Michael Legge
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's perfect. A man so angry with the world he's been forced into that he decides to destroy everything. I REALLY FUCKING RELATE TO THIS.
Max
Phenomenal "Hulk Carter of Mars" pastiche. Most of my serious Hulk reading came from the "Hulk trapped at the crossroads" storyline and the David years, so I like me some madcap weird Hulk, and this delivers. I love how Pak gently inverts the traditional Hulk model—I'm used to thinking of Hulk as the furious beast Banner keeps inside, but Pak zeroes in on Banner as the empathetic, human inner core Hulk hides beneath all the anger and smashing.

Which in turn makes me wonder who Hulk is. He's not t
Logan
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! So I marked this as read but I'm shocked to see that I have not reviewed it! So I like the hulk, but their aren't really any comic stories of his that I have really found, good! This however is fantastic! So the premise is simple, the hero's send hulk off planet, not in the way you think, that want to send him to a isolated planet, where he can just live in peace; his ship however goes off course to a planet ruled by a dictator, Hulk then becomes a gladiator in an arena where he fights ...more
Lindsey Lynn
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved this way more than I thought I would. The art was absolutely beautiful and the story line was actually very developed. Very impressed.
Carlex
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars

Cuando me prestaron este cómic lo primero que pensé fue: imposible de superar la etapa de mi amado Peter David, y evidentemente así ha sido. Sin embargo puedo decir que es una historia digna de Hulk, y particularmente los dos últimos capítulos me han evocado la tragedia de las mejores historias del mencionado autor.

Como críticas a este volumen, tanto el dibujo como el guión (esto último no sé si atribuirlo a la traducción) resultan en ocasiones confusos, si bien conforme avanzas en l
Marc Jentzsch
Fantastic. Sword and sorcery with the Hulk!

There are a few problems that will cause some dissonance for those unfamiliar with the full breadth of the ins and outs of the way the Hulk works. Admittedly I was in this camp, but just rolled with it. The idea of the Hulk being less than a giant irradiated ball of rage grows on you a little. Though I still don't quite understand how the Hulk himself could be so...un-angry so much. Yeah. Need to go read up on that.

The setup was well-done, and if you ha
Anna (Curiosity comes before Kay)
Interesting concept, and I'll say that for someone who hasn't read much Hulk (and isn't super likely to) it was nowhere near awful. I will also add, however, that I was bored and skimming during some parts of this "epic" story. Yeah, right. As IF I believe that Hulk would allow himself to be used as a Gladiator, even for as long as he did. It was nice to see a Hulk who could speak beyond monosyallables, and to see him viewing Banner as not just a nuisance, but basically his own personal supervil ...more
Santiago L. Moreno
El próximo estreno del Ragnarok de Thor, en cuyo trailer aparecen imágenes afines a este comic, es un motivo tan bueno como otro cualquiera para reencontrarse con Planeta Hulk. Publicado hace pocos años, se puede decir ya que el cómic imaginado por Greg Pak y basado en una idea de Joe Quesada constituye una de las mejores etapas del personaje.
Las grandes historias de Hulk se han dado siempre con el goliath como protagonista absoluto, sin injerencias del humano que anida en su interior. La dicoto
Martin
Hulk is such a powerful character, especially when handled right. Reed Richards and Tony Stark know this, and with Marvel's Civil War looming right around the corner, they think it's best if Hulk doesn't get to choose a side (fearing, I guess, that they would have to fight against him), so they fix it so that he gets sent to a far away planet where he would get to live in peace. But would you know it, "something" happens that alters the flight path of his spaceship and he ends up on a world wher ...more
Gavin
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Fun, 3.5 stars rounded up.

Gets better as it continues.

Interesting how they bring in enemies from Earth past, Brood, Krog, etc.

Red King is a one-dimensional baddie, lame.

This was more important to set up World War Hulk, and build his anger towards Reed, Tony, Bolt, and Strange.

Strange is the biggest betrayal, from the Defenders days.
Also, another Defender shows up...Mr. Norin Radd. Aka The Silver Surfer.

But there's some cool stuff, like Hulk holding a planet together via the tectonic plates.
Callie Rose Tyler
Long before reading this I saw the animated film, which in my opinion is better. For starters it had Beta Ray Bill!

The flow of this comic was a little awkward for me. It felt very choppy with conflicts being resolved very quickly and deaths occurring so quickly it felt like we just glanced over them.

Otherwise it's a great story. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't seen the movie first.
David Dalton
What a large collection, from Hulk #92 to #105, plus other stories. I finally got a chance to catch up on the Planet Hulk storyline (via my kindle fire), thanks to the KOLL program (saved $12). Lots of outer space action and a very sad ending........Gee Marvel, you couldn't allow the Hulk more than a few days of happiness?

Must to tough to write stories about someone as powerful as the Hulk. Yet it worked for the Planet Hulk storyline. Why not milk it for a longer period?
Diz
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This story deals with Hulk's betrayal by the heroes of Earth, and how he was able to build a family on a new world. The story is quite sad though. I was really touched by the loss that Hulk experiences. It's no wonder that he is so angry.
Javier Muñoz
Este tocho de cómic se resume en una sencilla frase: "Hulk, aplastar!!!".

El caso es que no deja de ser entretenido, cumple con su función como cómic de superhéroes, acción, peleas de puñetazos y la coherencia argumental justa para que la cosa no se vaya de las manos, pero creo que es un cómic que podría ser mucho mejor si se le hubiera dado más cariño a la ambientación y el tratamiento de personajes... las razas alienígenas que nos encontramos, por ejemplo, aunque variadas, no es que sean muy or
AgustinRiddle
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pablo Bueno
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me lo he pasado genial. No son más que palomitas, ¡pero que ricas saben de vez en cuando!

Por cierto que la capacidad de reinventarse y buscar nuevas formas de contar historias (o avanzar en las diversas líneas) de la Marvel es impresionante. A menudo no les sale demasiado bien, pero en este caso funciona.
  • Captain America by Ed Brubaker Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Annihilation: Conquest, Book Two
  • X-Men: Days of Future Past
  • The Incredible Hulk: Prelude To Planet Hulk
  • X-Men: Age of Apocalypse – The Complete Epic, Book 1
Greg Pak is an award-winning Korean American comic book writer and filmmaker currently writing "Mech Cadet Yu" for BOOM and “Totally Awesome Hulk" and "Weapon X" for Marvel Comics. Pak wrote the "Princess Who Saved Herself" children's book and the “Code Monkey Save World” graphic novel based on the songs of Jonathan Coulton and co-wrote (with Fred Van Lente) the acclaimed “Make Comics Like the Pro ...more
More about Greg Pak