Start by marking “The Wicked City (Siren Song, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wicked City (Siren Song, #1)

The Wicked City

(Siren Song #1)

Published March 3rd 2015 by Lyrical Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wicked City

Start your review of The Wicked City (Siren Song, #1)
Meigan
Wicked fun!

I adored June Coffin and her dirty, dirty chain smoking potty mouth. I also like that the author chose to write this in third-person, rather than first, because it gave the reader a chance to get inside more heads than just June's. Urban Fantasy seems rife and overloaded with books written in first, so this was certainly a nice change of pace. I really liked the creativity that Morgan took with building her supernaturals, that was a really interesting and unique spin that I haven't en
Allison
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
June had escaped the paranormal institute, and forced to leave her brother behind in the fire fight.
During her escape, she unfortunately wiped the memory of the only man she knows in Chicago, Micha, who now has no memory of his wife.
While looking for help in rescuing her brother, she meets numerous members of a paranormal activist group who is working to snuff out the institute and their ways.
Can they help June rescue her brother... and if so, at what cost?

I hate a love hate relationship with
Shelley
**I received this book for free from (Publisher) via (NetGalley) in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!! This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Paranormal Romance
*Rating* 3.0

*My Thoughts*

The Wicked City is the first book in the Siren Song series by Megan Morgan, a new to me author who is known for writing paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and erotica. I am leaning towards this story being more in the Paranormal Romance genre than Urban Fantasy. T
Melliane
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I was immediately intrigued when I saw the novel, it must be said that the mention of sirens always attracts me right away. I always particularly appreciate the feature of this kind of characters in urban fantasy. Still, I think I expected too much, the sirens finally did not deliver what I wanted and it lacked of a little punch, of action in the story to really take me but I will talk about that later.

June is a siren but she does not handle very well her pow
Kahea

*** I received an ARC from Kensington - Lyrical Press through NetGalley for an honest review. Expected publication date: 2/24/2015 ***

June, a Siren, falls under the category of paranormal but due to things that happened in her past, she has done everything she can to live a normal life, until she and her twin, Jason, get cajoled into going to Chicago and The Institute. Not long after they arrive things go to hell in a hand basket and June finds herself in the middle of a situation she
Shaila
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was definitely an entertaining novel. The thing that stood out to me the most was June's amazing voice (she's the only POV). The characters are well-written, the writing is great, and the story itself is interesting. There was a huge OMG moment about 75% of the way in, and I hadn't even realized I was that far into the book. A captivating book for sure.

Just so you know upfront, it's a bit different than most HEA's. June and Mischa (her 'love' interest) do get together at the end, but they w
Talk Supe
Jan 24, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2015
DNF 70%

You know its not going good when you start skimming the "good" parts. THE WICKED CITY is just not for me. For an urban fantasy book, the action is pretty low key. No guns-a-blazing, no tense confrontations, no throbbing suspense. And maybe its just me, but when I saw "Siren" on the blurb, I was expecting a different kind of heroine. Sure, June has tons of personality, and super bad hygeine, but as far as her Siren powers are concerened, I'm left wanting for more, and ultimately I'm unimp
Louisa
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, really great book! Really enjoyed it, and yeah, just such a great premise, and Iknow I'll have to read more of this series!
Maureen
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Feels like a young author with promise but has some maturing to do. Interesting plot line but sometimes I was left scratching my head as to why the characters reacted the way they did and what they were thinking.
Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮
UPDATE: This book is out today!!

This book was such a pleasant surprise.

To say that I have been underwhelmed by the books I have been receiving on netgalley lately would be a huge understatement, and then this book comes along and revives my belief in good quality characters and a solid story.

The Wicked City is a novel based around June Coffin, a sassy, sarcastic Siren, who can make you do anything she wants, with the power of her voice. She has recently escaped from a place called The Instit
Tash
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Confessions From Romaholics
Review copy kindly provided by publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review
The author had an interesting premise for The Wicked City a story about normals and paranormals living together in the open in this alternative world . However this isn’t with out the problems. The Wicked City offers a somewhat intimate look at these problems with the city of Chicago dissented showing all of its glory as different groups decided to take a stand and make a
Sabrina
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review from Netgalley.

Whatever June Coffin says, goes—literally. And it’s not just because she’s a chain smoking rebel. As a Siren, June has the ability to force people to obey any command she voices. But in a world where those with supernatural powers quickly become lab rats for science, she’d rather look out for herself than fight on the front lines…until her similarly gifted twin brother, Jason, is captured by Chicago’s Institute of Supernatural
L.E.Olteano
Originally posted on Mar 3 2015 at Butterfly-o-Meter Books:

In a Flutter: Different
Fluttering Thoughts:
Worldbuilding: For a UF, the Siren Song series has a pretty low key fantasy element. In fact, it tends to “translate” the fantasy into a Sci-Fi-ish note in a way (telepathy, telekinesis, aural captivator, so on). I was hoping for a really fantasy-flavored read when I got the book, that’s true, but I found the approach interesting and more on the unconventional side. You guys know I like the unco
Sue "DavinciKittie" Brown-Moore
See the full review - including quotes and similar book recommendations - on GraveTells here (live on February 26, 105): http://gravetells.com/paranormal-roma...

This book definitely took some time to get into; I was sorely tempted to put it down in the first two chapters, and then decreasingly periodically after that. By the time I got to 40% though, I didn't want to put it down!

The cons...

The characters are difficult to connect with at first. The author's style of narration is satiric, almost f
Rebecca
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, rar, arc
This book was a nice easy and quick read, which I really did enjoy reading about and I will continue with the other books in this series. My only issue with the book was that I felt that some of the characters could have done with more of an introduction and clearer backstory.

The main characters are June and Micha, June is the bad ass tattooed and pierced siren that is on an almost desperate mission to her brother. Micha is a guy who June has always appreciated from afar since he was married bu
Angel Hatfield
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**I received an ARC of this story in exchange for an honest review**
June Coffin has what the scientists call a hypnotic voice phenomenon, or an invasive persuasion. June's twin brother's name is Jason and they are both sirens. June saw Micha Bellevue give a lecture at the Chicago Institute for Supernatural Research. She had been held captive there but broke out. June needed to get out of Chicago but couldn't until she got Jason out of the institute where he was being held captive. Micha was a pa
Lana
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: paranormal romance lovers
PLOT IN A NUTSHELL
This story revolves around June Coffin, a Siren who’s accidentally had her twin brother caught by the evil scientist enemies because of her big mouth. After accidentally wiping the mind of a guy she’s just met, Micha, and having his wife killed to escape, she teams up with the paranormal alliance leader, Sam, and basically spends the rest of the book trying to save her brother from their evil clutches.

MY THOUGHTS
This book was a little hard to get into, there was a lot of myster
Maghon Thomas
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was way cool. The main character has an amazing way of telling the story- of course that credit really goes to the author. There's an institute for paranormals. You see, people have categories now. And those with something special about them really don't want anyone else to know.

June needs to get her brother out of the institute she escaped from. June's a rough take charge kinda girl. I loved that about her. She's not the soft or vulnerable type. She also sometimes needs to
Christine Rains
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Life hasn't been easy for June Coffin. She and her twin brother Jason are sirens, but both are reluctant to use their powers. They just want a normal life, but making a living is hard. The Chicago Institute of Supernatural Research offers them some money with a smile and then uses them as lab rats. June escapes, but Jason does not. She needs to rescue him and enters into world of paranormal conspiracy to do so. June has no idea what she's gotten herself into, but when the world comes crashing do ...more
Hannah (jellicoereads)
Not a bad start for a UF debut!

We're introduced to a modern-day Chicago where paranormals with varying abilities are persecuted, a series of "normals" are rather opposed to them, and an apparently innocuous Institute studies these paranormals but has some rather dodgy scientists with less than savoury intentions.

The story launches right into the action, which had me a tad confused until I caught up a few chapters later. Our MC, June, is heavily tattooed and pierced, chain-smoking, potty-mouthed
Sarah Zama
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I should say first of all that I don’t normally read steamy romances, and since a big part of the story falls into this environments, I’m afraid a have to confess it didn’t’ really do anything for me.

But fortunately, other elements of the story are more SF, more adventure and even more mysteries, and I enjoyed these quite a lot.
My favourite part is the political plot. I really enjoyed the kind of society depicted in this novel, a society where paranormal people exist, live in among normal peop
Dee
Wow, apparently this story was 7 years in the making. I can see why, it is certainly a labour of love, and for that alone I give full credit to the author.

The writing is very descriptive. Every detail intimately described, body features, facial features, clothing, what everyone was wearing at all times, environment and character characteristics. Paranormal activity, vampires, ghosts, tattoo's , piercings, food intolerances, beverages, alcohol likes and dislikes, and on and on.

Readers who love a
Denise Belt
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Paranormal abilities are no longer a secret and with that comes different groups trying to decide what is right for the people. June Coffin is an aural captivator or better known as a siren. She can use her voice to control what people do. She is full of rebellion and doesn’t take lip from anyone. Her talents, and that of her twin Jason, had always been a secret until she accidently let it slip to a news reporter that she was tattooing and the reporter ran with the story.

Occasionally, I read th
Judy C
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
The story is slow moving in the beginning until you get to know more about the characters. June is siren who is tryingmto help her captured brother.that is being help at a paranormal institute. She was able to escape but unfortunately her brother wasn't so lucky. She has a small number of people in the paramormal community that are willing to help her. There is some mature situations and fighting. This is a series but it didn't re
Rachel
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Rachel by: ARC
Oh, June. She's like the relative at the dinner table who everyone is afraid might suddenly offer loud and embarrassing commentary in her townie accent. She struggles between wanting to avoid and wanting to attract attention. While she pretends disdain, she's also trapped in Chicago, trying to find a way to find and rescue her brother. She's alternately untouchable and vulnerable.

I found myself a bit confused at times because dear moody June seems to belong in a YA novel. Overall generally well
Michele
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! From start to finish I was entranced with June Coffin's story and I can't wait to read more! I also am very interested to see what happens between June and Misha. I fell in love with these two and hope that they both get that happy ever after that they both deserve!

Looking for a paranormal book that you just can't put down? Then you need to grab this book! The Wicked City will have you constantly on the edge of your seat wondering what's going to happen next!
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall, I liked this book. The plot was engaging, the characters were interesting, and it wasn't the same old trope you read everywhere. My only complaint was the main character. June felt like she was rebellious for the sake of being rebellious. and crass strictly for shock value, which made it harder to immerse myself in the storyline. That said, it was still a well written, engaging story, and I'm looking forward to reading the second book in the series.
Farren
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Apparently my review was deleted. It's been about 8 weeks and I hardly remember this book. Just a whole lot of annoying sexual tension and talking about the main character's piercings a lot. I forgot her name. June I think. The world building took a backseat to that and although I have the second book I probably won't bother to read it, since I hardly remember this one...
Soni Watts❤
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised with this book. I enjoyed the action, the adventure, and I fell in love with the characters instantly. The characters were sarcastic, funny, and very interesting-the authors character development was amazing. This book was interesting from the beginning to the end. What a great find-I can't wait to see what happens next.
Vesmé
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read other works by this author and enjoyed them, and I really love this title. I really like books with supernatural elements and mystery, and I got both in this. :) Looking forward to the next one!

• Come Rain or Shine (Rose Gardner Investigations #5)
  • A Cry in the Dark (Carly Moore #1)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Rose Gardner Investigations #6)
  • Wrong Bed, Right Guy (Come Undone, #1)
  • Chasing Mrs. Right (Come Undone, #2)
  • Full Package (Big Rock #4)
  • Two Wrongs, One Right (Come Undone, #3)
  • Bloodlust By Midnight (Last Witch Standing Book 2)
  • Bitten at Daybreak (Last Witch Standing Book 3)
  • In a Badger Way (Honey Badger Chronicles, #2)
  • Hot and Badgered (Honey Badger Chronicles, #1)
  • Vice (Fireborn Wolves, #1)
  • Of Flame and Promise (Weird Girls, #6, Flame #0.5)
  • Witch Fire (Elemental Witches, #1)
  • Dead on the Delta (Annabelle Lee, #1)
  • Primal Possession (Moon Shifter, #2)
  • Dungeon Crawl (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #8)
  • Spellbound (Crossbreed, #8; Mageriverse #22)
Megan Morgan is an award-winning paranormal and contemporary romance author from Cleveland, Ohio. A mild-mannered airport lounge supervisor by day and purveyor of things that go bump in the night, she lives on the often-wintry shores of Lake Erie with her spoiled cat and adult son, both of whom shed too much.

Siren Song (3 books)
  • The Bloody City (Siren Song, #2)
  • The Burning City (Siren Song #3)