Start by marking “The Ghost Next Door: True Stories of Paranormal Encounters from Everyday People” as Want to Read:
The Ghost Next Door: True Stories of Paranormal Encounters from Everyday People

The Ghost Next Door: True Stories of Paranormal Encounters from Everyday People

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  144 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
"A collection of chilling stories...eerily believable and truly spooky...very strongly recommended..."--Midwest Book Review Most people think of ghosts as rare, elusive creatures that are more or less inaccessible to the average Joe. Sure, we read about them, watch TV shows about them and tell stories about them, but we'll probably never run into one--right? Don't be so su ...more
Published January 4th 2004 by iUniverse (first published February 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost Next Door

Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it
This was interesting, I suppose. Nothing much about it made it stand out from other collections of ghost stories, but it was interesting to read different people's accounts. The author basically pulled a lot of stories from friends and coworkers, and it does indicate that many more people have stories about paranormal or possible paranormal events than one might think. I think some of the stories could be explained by mental illness or the power of suggestion, others were more difficult to dismi ...more
Edwina Callan
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, library-book
A fun to read book of ghost stories collected by the author from family and friends.
Sep 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
A fairly standard collection of ghostly tales. The author's point seems to be that this is not necessarily experienced in castles, cemeteries, former lunatic asylums, etc. but can be experienced by anyone, anywhere. It wasn't fantastic, but it does show how pervasive ghostly tales are that yet another book has been done on it. I didn't like the little lead in- fade out paragraphs as they were redundant and too much like a discovery channel offering. Haunted Heartland is a better choice to read.
Scott
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
A rather bland collection of ghost stories, supposedly collected from "everyday people," which seems to mostly include the author's friends, family and co-workers. With one exception involving a creepy cabin spectre(which I wished had more to it, or at least an explanation), none of the stories were even remotely cringe-worthy, let alone scary. Some were barely scratching the surface of the paranormal. I've read far better collections of ghost stories that are just as validated, if not more.
S
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There is something about knowing that a story is true that automatically makes it scarier! That's what I felt when reading this book. It's well written for the creepy factor, and mostly is respectfully written. That's what I enjoyed most about this book, the non judgmental way the stories are told. It gives credit to the people, allowing them to talk about what they experienced without judgments or 'rational' explanations.
Lexi
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love books on the paranormal so this one instantly pulled me in. It was also a relatively cheap buy for my Kindle. Each chapter was a different recounting of stories the author has been told about paranormal experiences. It was a bit spooky at times but really cool to read!
Joy
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you like Paranormal/true ghost stories you will like this! Some of these stories had me shivering with fright, even though I have read alot of true ghost stories, and they hardley phase me anymore. I read this in two hours flat!
Charissa
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Some of these stories I'd classify as more 'afterlife' than 'ghost story'. Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading this collection.
Ericka
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Presented in an interesting manner, no research shown. Would be a very good Young Adult book.
Casey
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
The stories were ok, I didn't find them scary at all.
Wasn't a fan of how the writer put the comments at the end.
Glenn Harris
Dec 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Some reasonably interesting and supposedly true ghost stories. Nothing special.
Jennifer Kennedy
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • Coast to Coast Ghosts: True Stories of Hauntings Across America
  • Ghosts of the McBride House: A True Haunting
  • Psychic Powers (Mysteries Of The Unknown)
  • Haunted: The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House
  • Haunting Experiences: Encounters with the Otherworldly
  • Haunted America
  • Haunted Places: The National Directory: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, UFO Landings, and Other Su pernatural Locations
  • The World's Most Haunted Places: From the Secret Files of Ghostvillage.com
  • The Ghosts on 87th Lane: A True Story
  • Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society
  • Life Among the Dead
  • Ghosts: True Encounters from the World Beyond
  • House of Spirits & Whispers: The True Story of a Haunted House
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • I Never Believed in Ghosts Until . . .
  • America's Most Haunted: The Secrets of Famous Paranormal Places