Start by marking “Feast of Stephen (A Charm of Magpies, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Feast of Stephen (A Charm of Magpies, #3.5)

Feast of Stephen

(A Charm of Magpies #3.5)

A Charm of Magpies Christmas coda.

Stephen and Crane have finally got away on their long-awaited Christmas break, along with Crane’s henchman Merrick and Jenny Saint. A promised gift is made, and a request unexpectedly and magically fulfilled…

This story comes after Flight of Magpies and is not a standalone read. Download now in any format from Smashwords.
_____
Published December 19th 2014 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Feast of Stephen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feast of Stephen

Start your review of Feast of Stephen (A Charm of Magpies, #3.5)
K.J. Charles
Dec 08, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-by-me
A free short (6Kish) Christmas present for Magpie readers. Stephen and Crane finally get their Christmas getaway, where stories are told, wassailing may happen, and a couple of promises made in Flight of Magpies come to pass.

This is Magpie 3.5, set after Flight, and thus full of spoilers and won't make any sense as a standalone. You have been warned.

Download now in any format from Smashwords.
Kat
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm reading this at work right now and renamed the file 'International taxes' just to be on the safe side. I applaud my own sneakiness.

So I know that not everyone was convinced of the attraction between Stephen and Lucien in the first book. But I don't think anyone can get this far into the Magpie Lord series and still doubt the depth of their love for each other. This was a delightful short story in the spirit of the Holidays with its blazing fire, brandy, storytelling and magical midnight pas
Richard Derus
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quiltbag
I loathe that this is the last we'll see of Lucien and Stephen. I'm off to get Jackdaw. I don't want to leave this magical England yet.

A trip away from London to celebrate the new family's first Yule together. Stephen Day and Jenny Saint, guttersnipes elevated by Lord Crane's love for one and acceptance of the other, revel in fine new clothes, fine old brandy, and good company with many tales to tell.

But here's what you should really know: The entire series is about making what m
Jaela
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This short story takes place after book 3. Crane and Stephan go on their infamous Christmas vacation and Merrick and Saint accompany them.

It was basically all of them dining together and telling stories from the past when Crane and Merrick were in China.

Although the writing is very good, this book had too much Saint and Merrick in it, leaving Crane and Stephen look like secondary characters. And the other part was storytelling.

Enjoyable but I would have loved
Ms. Smartarse
If you kept wondering whether Lucien and Stephen ever got to go to the elusive hunting lodge, this short story is your answer.

We also get glimpse into Lucien and Merrick's rather adventurous past in China. Which reminds me: if anyone's seen a fanart of Lucien, in all his naked, tattooed glory, singing Christmas carols in the freezing cold, feel free to forward it. Sharing is caring, as you well know.

Jingle Bell Rock

There's
* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Stars!

Um, the only thing that this hammered home is the cold hard fact that I want a freaking TOME of Crane and Merrick’s misadventures - past and future!

I’m just too upset and indignant that it won’t ever happen so imma gonna be over there in my cups. Feel free to join me if you want to commiserate in mutually shared misery.

*hiccough*
Ingie
Written December 21, 2014

4 Sparkling Stars - As always freezing freaking great to join these gorgeous men

Book #3.5

A free holiday mini telling us the tale when Stephen & Crane are on a long-awaited Christmas break, along with the faithful Merrick (view spoiler).

It is St. Stephen Day and an cold winter evening in the cottage. An evening to tell old memories in front of the crackli2014
Vivian
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-pn, freebies
Cozy end with merriment and even a bit of magic. Devilish because as one book closes another is opened with a peekaboo tease as one of the dangling threads from an earlier Magpie story is tugged.

Favorite quote because for me it was tequila:
“We drank some shit in our time, but that—”
“My head still hurts in bad weather.”
Meags
3 Stars

This served as a sweet little final moment with this wonderful cast of characters.

And that little comment Crane made at the end?!?..

“I will wager anything you like, in a hundred years’ time, some distant Vaudrey relation is going to pick one of these (rings) up and think, Oh, what a lovely heirloom, and put it on, and the whole blasted business is going to start again.”

...YES!! What I wouldn’t give to have Charles write a modern day spin-off! Yes, please, and thank-you kindly.
Heller
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved these characters, loved the story. I read it while waiting to board the plane and I know my fellow travellers were glancing at me and wondering what was making me smile like the Joker. Perfection my airport buddies, I'm reading perfection. Be jealous.
Ami
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's Christmas Charm of Magpie style. With jolly good stories -- involving China bandits!!! -- and lovely (view spoiler) and magic and heated moments and the words "I love you" and magpie flying ... and Jonah (whose story is coming in February 2015).

Well, I'm raising my (imaginary) drink and say, "Hell THANKS for this KJ Charles. What a wonderful holiday present you've given your readers!"
Adam
Dammit, I'm going to miss these two!

Stephen and Lucien, along with Merrick and Jenny, are spending Christmas at Lucien's hunting box. While there, the four make merry and, presumably, begin a tradition of shared Christmases.

description

This free short has everything that fans have come to expect from the Charm of Magpies series. There's humour, some action (through storytelling), some feels, and a bit of hot smexytime to
Marcie
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shorts
Crane, Day, & Merrick,
*clears throat*

Babes, I love you so.

I want you to know,

That I'm going to miss your love the minute you walk out that door.

So please don't go.

Don't go.

Don't go away.

Please don't go.

Don't gooooo.

I'm begging you to stay....
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
Stephen and Lucien. siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

What I love? That Crane calls Stephen "witch". I won't give away any of the reasons why in this particular story, but... yeah.

siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh ... Stephen and Lucien.

A never-ending imagination, Ms Charles has, and she utilizes it here again. Such delicious detail of place, and when, and who did what where and why. So much story told from a single, fire-lit, cozy drawing room in a warm and welcoming house in the middle of nowhere.

Stephen and Lucien../>
Susan
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it

A delightful little treat for fans of the series!!!

*sigh*...swept away to a cabin/holiday home to just share tales and enjoy each other. Loved it!

I'm still trying to get used to Merrick with a, um, lady friend. But, good on him. You go, Merrick...get your bad self some! :)

Yet, the highlight of it all...the LOVE and adoration and amusement and devotion between Stephen and Crane. GAH...how can this adventure-filled, supernatural, historical, mystery series manag
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
"When I'm with you, I can keep going. I'm braver. The world is warm for me because of you."

Why they have to go?

Whhhyyyyyyyyyyy????

Elizabetta

“Christmastide by the fire. It’s a time for storytelling…”

Merrick and Crane regale Stephen and Jenny Saint with tales of their adventures in China. All in an attempt to welcome Jenny into the fold, into their little family. The tales all wrapped around one of my favorite Christmas carols, “Good King Wenceslas”.

And a lovely segue to Jackdaw at the end…

You have to read this little goody to see how it all threads delightfully together. Merry Christmas one and all.
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}
Christmas in July. How fitting.

The boys plus one decide to leave London for the holidays. In order for Lucien to get that plus one to relax he and Merrick tell a Chinese Christmas tale. This adorable sweet.

"When I'm with you, I can keep going. I'm braver. The whole world is warm for me because of you."

And more than a little spicy.

He was swearing in Shanghainese and English together, thrown back in the chair hands locked on its arms, and Stephen waspicy.
He
Sofia

any bits of Vaudry & Co are always good to have.
Kaje Harper
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another delicious taste of Crane and Stephen, absurd, heated and sweet.
Roxana Chirilă
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ok, despite what I said in my previous review, it's only NOW that I've finished this series, really. You can't leave out a perfectly nice short story, can you?

Warm, cozy, funny, no murders. Despite the title and despite Stephen-the-character featuring in it, there is no pun here. Stephen is not feasted upon, neither by cannibals, nor by hungry warlocks, nor figuratively by Crane.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5

A short Christmas story that reads like a lovely epilogue of Flight of Magpies.
There is a story within a story too (one of Crane and Merrick's adventures in China).

And that bitter-sweet ending featuring Jonah Pastern is a great way to make readers read Jackdaw.
KatieMc
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
My favorite holiday read this year. And we learn about those tattoos. A must read for magpie fans.
Jason Bradley
I want all his tattoos back. :( But I loved this.
Pjm12
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Charming as usual. Crane's determination that he ensure Saint feel relaxed both in his company and with his and Stephen's relationship is spot-on characterisation.

Oh, I long to see this four-some (but not like that!) wandering around the world - Stephen, de-stressed, being amazing glowing the in the light of Crane's love... And the Lord himself, strong, powerful, and happy taking care of what his... and by that I mean, buying them clothes mostly.

Carry on gents... Can't wa
Em
Shelves: m-m, dtr
What a fantastic treat! Crane and Stephen, Merrick and Jenny, spend a toasty evening snuggled up in front of the fire at Crane's hunting box. Lucien and Merrick share tales of Christmas pasts and try their best to let Jenny know she's one of the gang now. I'm still not hot on the idea of Merrick being with Jenny and not sure I'll ever get used to it!
Trisha Harrington
I love this guys. And this was a great short!
Bev
'Shitweasel' and RINGS!! 4 stars.
Deeze
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A little more of Stephen, Crane, Merrick and Saint.

The small insight to the life Merrick and Crane lead was entertaining.

I am glad to see I will get to read Pasterns story next. I was hoping to find out what became of him.
Chelsea
Beautiful close off for this lovely couple, loved seeing more of Merrick and the misses and how they'll fit in with Crane and Stephen and of course Crane and Stephen just... pure perfection :D
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Eidolon (Whyborne & Griffin, #1.5)
  • Carousel (Whyborne & Griffin, #3.4)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin, #3)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)
  • Enlightened (Enlightenment, #3)
  • Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
  • Restless Spirits (Spirits, #1)
  • The 13th Hex (Hexworld, #0.5)
  • Provoked (Enlightenment, #1)
  • Unnatural (Enlightenment, #4)
  • Master of Ghouls (SPECTR, #2)
  • Fallow (Whyborne & Griffin, #8)
  • Harmony (Whyborne & Griffin #5.5)
  • Reaper of Souls (SPECTR, #3)
I'm a writer of romance, mostly m/m, often historical or fantasy or both.

I'm also a freelance editor, and I blog about writing and editing at kjcharleswriter.com.

I live in London, UK, with husband, two kids, and a cat of absolute night.

Follow me on Twitter @kj_charles or friend me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/kj.charles.9

A Charm of Magpies (3 books)
  • The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1)
  • A Case of Possession (A Charm of Magpies, #2)
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
“You like 'em dangerous, that's your trouble. If they ain't leaving a trail of dead, you ain't interested.” 9 likes