Start by marking “Z-Minus I” as Want to Read:
Z-Minus I

Z-Minus I

(Z-Minus #1)

The post-apocalyptic series readers are describing as "one of the best post-apocalypse stories I've ever read."
Once infected, the virus shuts down organs, kills nerve impulses and even reprograms the way we think. The virus becomes us.

But the process takes eight hours.

If you only had eight hours left to live, what would you do?

For Chris Smith, that decision has been made
Published December 10th 2014

Clumsy Storyteller
Feb 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Virus that kills people and then transform'em to zombies ? Emm No Thanks ! They made lots of Movies and TV shows about Zombies it became super boring and un-original i'm not trying to be rude and mean but it's the truth ! this book was recommended to me by one of the author's friend i don't remember her name but i will find her and i will kill her !!!!!!!!!!

carol.
Dec 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
broken finger review #8:

i was first contacted by a very new, minimalist profile* GR member of Perrin Briar's "launch team" three days ago. In a kind mood, I politely pointed out the sentence on my own profile noting I don't do requests, encouraging participation at GR as a way to build contacts, and suggesting the "team" would be more effective by not contacting random people (this means me). Alas, the Launch Team has yet to learn the lesson, because they repeated the message today, this time wi
Kemper
Dec 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: spamalot
I'll never read a book by Perrin Briar because his so-called 'launch team' constantly spams me. I'm sure it's terrible.

chucklesthescot
This book contains one of the worst MCs that I've ever had the misfortune to read about. He is a selfish, nasty scumbag and all I wanted was to see him die slowly from rabid zombie bites.

After a car crash during the zombie apocalypse, the moaning faced loser that goes by the name of Chris has to struggle home on foot. On his journey it becomes clear that he only gives a damn about himself. At his house when he sees the dead body of his teenage daughter Emily with knives in her back, does he fee
Casey
Nov 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
**WARNING** This has spoilers!

Where to start, the main character is unlikable and an asshole (if the whole being unlikable thing was missed). He manages to be completely oblivious to the zombie situation because the bar he frequents only plays sports channels. Seriously? I'm sure that if something of this magnitude was happening emergency broadcasts would have jumped in and informed the viewer of what was going on. Hell, I doubt there would have even been sports events happening. Plus, didn't th
Tamara
Dear Perrin Briar and his 'launch team',

Stop insulting my intelligence.

I'm not blind.

I can read.

I'm not interested in this book.

Stop sending me spam messages and saying I should read this book because I've read The 5th Wave.

First of all; if you knew me at all you'd know I hate 'this' meets 'this' and if you like 'this' you'll like 'that 'kind of comparisons. Cause a)either books are too similiar (why would I want to read a book that ripped off another on purpose) or b)what if I hate one of thos
Mauoijenn
Not really what I expected. It was okay, kind of dragged in the middle a little. Maybe I'm just over and done with the "zombie" books.
SuperHeroQwimm
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
I got a message from someone who I'm assuming is part of a launch team for the author saying "Hey, I noticed you read The Passage by Justin Cronin and was wondering if you'd be interested in a novel in a similar genre." Unfortunately for me The Passage is one of my most beloved books. Also unfortunately for me, the only thing the two books have in common is that they both have zombies, but even their zombies are as different as can be. I have to assume that the person who sent the message has ne ...more
Mikayla
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-for-me
I was asked if I would be interested in reading this novel and write an honest review – to which I said yes.

Although a quick read, I did find that the plot was lagging. I didn't find it all that exciting or original Which was disappointing. There is definitely better out there regardless of whether it's a children's, teen or young adult read.

The characters are unrealistic, unlike-able and lack development. I found that Maisie was unconvincing as an 8 year old. I think the author needs to look a
Eric E
Oct 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015-read
This book is not good. Not at all.

Limited character development, unbelievable plot, a despicable main character, and the writer seems like he's never heard an 8-year-old speak.

I do not recommend reading this.
Kay M
I think I'm being very generous in giving this book a three star rating, especially after the concerns I had.

It's just a typical zombie book I suppose and it didn't break free from the traditional aspect. Full of zombie outbreaks across the country, making sacrifices, reuniting and going on an adventure with loved ones, etc. I'm not one for reading zombie books though, however if they're unique and sound interesting I'm willing to give them a try. My preference is watching zombie films though.

Th
Janie Johnson
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I had just recently read a book by Perrin Briar and it was just ok for me. I was notified by someone about this one being free on Kindle and how they enjoyed it so much. So I decided to go get it and read it. I really enjoyed this one. I found that it flowed really well and was action packed.

Synopsis
Once bitten, the virus spreads throughout the human body. It shuts down organs, kills nerve impulses and even reprograms the way we think. The virus becomes us.

If
Tamara
Mar 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Be wise, don't read. Zero stars.
Steven Sheeley
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow. What an interesting book. I found myself railing against the main character because of his actions towards his daughter at the beginning of the book.

As the book progressed I witnessed something that I rarely see these days in the eBook publishing field.... Character growth. No spoilers here but I'll say this, towards the end, I was cheering for the main character.

All opinions expressed above are 99.44% true and are to be considered my own opinions, and not an official representation of anyt
Jennifer Lee
 photo 4p9r5_zpstkcfmnef.gif

Seriously, what the hell? I received an e-mail from someone from his "launch team" saying that they seen I enjoyed The 5th Wave, so they thought I'd like this (ummm what? ) I thought, "well, I'm always up for something new", so I went a got it for free off Amazon.

I can't even begin to understand why you'd write such a very unlikable main character. Chris Smith is the worst of the worst. An alcoholic abusive dad, comes home to see his 15 year old daughter dead on the floor and gets angry beca
Sarah Elizabeth
Jan 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
One of the cheerleaders of Briar inboxed me with this. I don't know the guy, nor do I appreciate the cookie-cutter message with no recognition that I am a person.

That said, I have a few complaints with this book. First, Chris, our antihero. He is a failure at a husband, father, and general human being. He is abusive, an alcoholic, and an asshole. I didn't like him from the beginning, and I didn't like him by the end. He had 0 redeeming qualities, and there was absolutely nothing human about him.
Lainy
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Time taken to read - < 1 day

Pages - 172

Publisher - ?Indie

Blurb from Goodreads

But the process takes eight hours.

If you only had eight hours left to live, what would you do?

For Chris Smith, that decision has been made for him. He’s infected, and returns home to f
Erin Mcfadden
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Towards the beging of the book I didn't like it but it got better as it went on. Towards the first part the book I didn't like the main charotor Chris but as the the book progressed I liked him more he was and an alholic dad he wasn't the greatest dad. I wouldn't recommended this book.
Greg Tymn
Apr 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Read 40 pages. Then read the accompanying reviews. Decided to stop reading to save my sanity.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead."
Kruizzer Alvarez
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was sent a copy of this from Perrin Briar's team (Thank you so much!!) for an honest review- because of my enthusiasm on Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead series haha.

I read this in around 50 minutes. It's a very short quick fast paced read set in a zombie apocalypse. I've read other zombie novels in hopes of getting something similar to The Walking Dead like The Passage but it wasn't as appealing to me. This book though, hits the right spot with the ambiance and the apocalyptic feels.

Apparen
Merril Anil
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
First of all a huge thanks to the author and his team for contacting me about the book and giving me a chance to get acquainted with the author’s work

Well I must say that the book opened in a grand way as the author had started the series with a lot of data and information on current scenario of our world and how an epidemic is just doorstep away. I loved how the author opens up with facts and figures to prepare yourself to believe that a zombie apocalypse is a possibility not far

The book is f
Courtney Wendleton
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Overview: Alcoholic, family abusing Chris has come home from the pub to find his oldest daughter and wife zombies. His eight year old daughter, hiding, follows him outside to find out about the apocalypse from a neighbor. In an effort to ditch his youngest, he pays for a sports car and starts their journey to granny's house in the country. Along the way they find trouble, doge many hungry zombies and have a spot of health issues. In the end they are still looking for a safe haven and a toll of Z ...more
Trevor Schiermeier
Jan 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
I was contacted by the author's PR team and asked to read this book and write a review. I know the author is new and trying to get some exposure, and for that reason I really wanted to leave a glowing recommendation. However, after reading the book, I sadly cannot do that.

I didn't enjoy much about this book at all.
Admittedly, the news snippets and quotes at the beginning were well done and interesting, but the rest was downhill from there.

There were times when this book was so cheesy and unbelie
James Bell
Sep 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
The main issue with this book, beyond the poor writing, is that it highlights perfectly how not to write an anti-hero, because I can only assume that's how the author intended for the main protagonist to come across (more on this later).

The Writing:
Similar to Amanda Hocking's "Hollowland", and perhaps a pervasive problem with many self-published titles I'm finding, this book read as an early attempt at writing. One that should have been side-lined as early practice not available for mass-market
Caro
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zoombies
Is my second Zoombies novel. And Despite the bad reviews that some users give I really like. It was a fast reading that motivate me to continue. I will read for sure the second and third part. I was not thinking that Zombie novels can be something that I enjoy, but I really did. also I like how the author brings the big epidemics that we have nowadays to the story. Is a good critic to the experimentation in the old virus. I wish is more mention in the book.
ANGEL JADOOBIRSINGHQ
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Relatively good

As someone rather intimate with the zombie genre, I found the human element in this short story to be intriguing. A little more character development and a little more description on the gore would have been nice, but all in all it ranks pretty far up there. I recommend this book if out want to dip your toes in the water for a short while. I look forward to seeing more from this author.
Krisaundra
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Family Affair

This book was not at all what I expected! I really enjoyed watching the relationship between Maisie & Chris during a time when terror and other survival related emotions arise and can often lead to the demise of an already rocky relationship, but not in this case. Yes, there are plenty of zombies but they are not necessarily the focal point of this well written book.
Randy
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The story of Chris and Maisie, father and daughter, and how they deal with the zombie apocalypse. Chris has been an abusive parent and has an awakening of what he's been as he learns how to protect his daughter.

Liked this one.
Kassandra
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this - good characters and an exciting concept. I'm looking forward to the second installment.
Rosemary
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of apocalyptic/fantasy/thrillers
Z-Minus 1 - a review by Rosemary Kenny

In an homage to Shaun of the Dead, this 'what if...?' apocalyptic novella is a satisfying and engaging start to the Z-Minus Series by thrillingly creative author Perrin Briar. It gives us a valuable lesson and warning of what damage Man can do to society - and the World if we don't work together to protect it and reverse the harm already caused.

When a mysterious virus infects the majority of the population, they have only eight hours to complete their privat
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• After (The Phoenix Curse, #1)
  • This Plague of Days OMNIBUS EDITION: The Complete Three Seasons of the Zombie Apocalypse Series
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • Those Who Remain
  • Escaping the Dead (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, #1)
  • From the Ashes (Survivors of the Dead, #1)
  • Victim Zero
  • Toward the Brink: The Apocalyptic Plague Survival Series Book One
  • The Living Dead Boy
  • Rise
  • The Turn
  • Left Alive #1
  • Jenny Undead (The Thirteen, #1)
  • Extinction Level (Secret Apocalypse Book 2)
  • The Fall (Infected, #1)
  • The Passenger (Surviving the Dead, #3.5)
  • The Dying of the Light: End (The Dying of the Light, #1)
  • Dead Days: The Complete Season One (Dead Days Season One #1-6)
Perrin Briar is an English author best-known for his Blood Memory series, black comedy Keeping Mum, and revenge tale Square. He was born in Huntingdon, grew up in Norfolk, graduated from Bournemouth, worked in London, and then chucked it all in to live in South Korea.

He has written for BBC radio, and worked in the production and development departments of the BBC, ITV and Channel 4.

Z-Minus (6 books)
  • Z-Minus II
  • Z-Minus III
  • Z-Minus IV
  • Z-Minus V
  • Z-Minus VI
“Dr Victoria Kahn, Chief Medical Officer, Saint Bartholomew’s Hospital, from her article The Virus: Humanity’s Natural Archenemy The most successful virus in the world will be one that keeps its host alive while simultaneously shutting down the body’s self-defences. It won’t be long before we have such a specimen on our hands.” 0 likes
“The floorboards behind Chris creaked. Something leapt from the kettle’s steam like a wraith from hell, and grabbed Chris from behind. A low moan escaped the lips of his assailant. Chris turned, but couldn’t get a good view of him. He could tell by the weight of the body that he was not strong. Chris ran forward into the living room, and then abruptly stopped and changed direction, breaking his assailant’s grip. “Why did you murder my wife and daughter?” Chris said, whirling on the man. The assailant turned, and Chris’s breath caught in his throat. “Emily?” he said. “Emily, what are you doing?” Emily opened her mouth wide and hissed at him. Chris backed away, startled, and tripped over the sofa. Emily darted forward. Chris threw his legs up, performing a backward roll. Emily bit the sofa where his legs had been. “Listen, Emily,” Chris said. “If this is about increasing your allowance, this isn’t the right way to go about it.” 0 likes