Start by marking “Lace Up” as Want to Read:
Lace Up

Lace Up

(Pretty Smart Girls #1)

Team Ryan
Ryan Rose and her fellow Spartans are finalists in a high-profile entrepreneurial competition. They're competing for life-changing money and for their futures. They have a solid plan to win. All they need to do is trounce the competition: rich frat boys from an archrival university. Easy, right?

Team Jett
Jett Trebuchet's first mistake was not realizing that Ryan an
Published January 26th 2015 by Entangled: Embrace (first published January 6th 2015)

Mariℓina
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
Finally my first 4 Star for 2015! It was really great. I had an amazing time reading it and i absolutely reccomend it, for anyone who wants to read a nicely written, compelling and layered book but funny nonetheless..

So, there is an important entrepreneurial competition and the finalists are 2 amazing teams.. The one all girls, Ryan, Jade, Devi and the other all boys Jett, Ben, Vaughn..

Ryan and the girls are determined to win this competition, no matter what, they are not rich like the boys, the
mich
"Well, you know that old saying, "Keep your friends close and make out with your enemies."

"That is
not the old saying."
Hee! :) The beginning of this book was super fun. The competition was cool and reminded me a bit of that TV show The Apprentice, with the added bonus of never having to see Donald Trump's stupid face.

The banter was awesome, especially between the two team captains. I loved that they were both sexy AND super smart.

Had it not been for the 4th quarter drama, which I found to be
Nadia
I've said this at least two or three times so far, but I gotta say it again. This was so good! If only every NA novel was this great...

My only remark is that Jett was apologizing all the damn time. It's an admirable trait many lack, to apologize when they've done wrong and I'm not complaining about the fact he knew to say "I'm sorry", but that he did or said so much dumb shit he had to ask for forgiveness. Sure, boys are dumb a lot of times, but let's keep it real. All I'm asking.

Everything els
Jelena Bosh
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5

It's been a long time coming, nothing intentional, but the REVIEW will up very soon. Will provide a link to my blog as well..

Arabella ~♡AB♡~
★★★ 3 Stars ★★★

This whole book reminded me of The Apprentice without the reality TV part. It was a contest between 2 teams, Team Jett and Team Ryan who are competing for a one year contract and a 6 figure salary.

Ryan and Jett are top students at rival colleges and when they first meet they both have misconceptions about the other. Jett thinks Ryan and her team, Devi and Jade, are dumb and easy party girls and Ryan tars Jett, Ben and Vaughn with the preppy daddy's boy brush.

This book started off
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steamy, romance, new-adult
This is a great New Adult romance with vivid characters and a setup I enjoyed even if I couldn't take it seriously (the setup, not the romance). The competition is the weakest link, here, and I had a bit of a struggle trying to make it work and finally just gave it up as a background premise I'd just have to grant. Once I did, everything else fell neatly into place and I had a rocking great time.

I actually thought I'd dnf early on as Jett and his friends dug themselves pretty deep on their first
RJ
This is NA but felt more YA because of the general immatureness of the characters. I enjoyed the chemistry between Ryan and Jett but was sorely disappointed when it came to the bedroom scenes. And then the business competition they were in was just boring to me. I also was so frustrated towards the end, with all the misunderstandings and miscommunications.
Brittany
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this from Entangled Publishing in exchange for an honest review. This was really great. This takes friendly competition to a whole new level. It was a great read. The story was awesome and I loved the book so much. I cried and laughed at all the antics that the author goes through. If you are looking for a great contemporary romance story look no further.
Michelle
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**Pretty Smart Girls: Lace Up is a standalone (at least at this time) new adult contemporary romance from Entangled Embrace's romance imprint. This is another one of Entangled's imprints that I all seem to have great luck with. And Pretty Smart Girls is a fun, flirty and well rounded romance story about a girls team from Michigan State and a guys team from University of Michigan competing against each other in an entrep ...more
Amber .:★Wild Heart Reviews★:.
To say this review has been a long time coming, would be an overstatement. I've been sitting on it like an egg that I'm waiting to hatch! Not intentionally, mind you, I've just wanted to find the right words. There is a bit of backstory to this review, and I'll try to keep that brief.

I read the second book (Reckless) in the Pretty Smart Girls series first. Yeah, out of order! I do not normally do that. You can find my review for it, on the blog. Lace Up, is the first book in the Pretty Smart Gir
Julia
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars
(I got this book for review)
When I got this book I wouldnt have thought Id love it so much.
The blurb sounded interesting but I wouldnt have guessed how good the plot was.
I couldnt stop reading and got sucked right into the story. Plus the writing was pretty awesome and had a good flow.
Also I loved that the relationship wasnt the main focus but the competition between the teams.
I loved all the characters and could totally relate to Ryan and the fact that she didnt want to give up her car
Iva
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED BOOK!
This one is a NA with the smarts! Two groups of three college student each are competing for a chance to work and intership in a big company what would sky-rocket their carriers. A lot of interesting topics and tasks were covered here, I love that the author took the time to explain them and how the character did their job. It was really, really good! The romance is just the cherry on the top. Meaning not that it was overshadowed, just that I was excited by the plot - an
Allison
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2015-reads, new-adult

It's Team Ryan vs Team Jett as two collage trios battle for a contract with a leading fortune 500 company.
As the two groups find attraction among one another, it is a struggle to remember they are there for work and not play.
Will the girls live up to the dumb and easy stereotype, or will they our smart their male competitors in a battle of wills?
Anything goes. Winner takes all.

Once I started this book, I could not put it down. It was everything I thought it would be and then some!
The story a
Cass
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
English Review

Team Ryan, 3 girls, must face team Jett, 3 boys, during a competition in New York. The stakes are high because the gain is a job for each member of the winning team as well as money. Their first meeting in the car that leads them to the airport is very funny and I was completely for the girls at this time. The discovery of the boys during my reading made me appreciate them much more.

Ryan and Jett, the leaders of their respective teams, are attracted to each other very quickly. Th
Ineffable Book Blog
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For some reason, I was a little weary going into this book. Whenever it's a competition between guys and gals, well let's just say I get a little competitive. Usually the guys team are made up of a bunch of jerk holes who undermine the girls and the girls make fools of themselves trying to prove that they are just as good. (Obviously I feel strongly about this (; ) Anyways, this book was such a surprise because I really, really liked it! Whoop!

Actually, the reason I liked it so much because the
Jaime ~ Fiction Fangirls
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, blogged
I definitely picked up this book because of the University of Michigan/MSU rivalry aspect of the story (Go Blue), but I finished it because it was a great story.

I can't say that I was all swoons and smiles throughout the book because Jett made a lot of stupid choices and managed to make me mad more than a handful of times. I like a confident guy, not a cocky one, and in the beginning he came across as really arrogant and it was a bit off-putting. Fear not ladies, and gentlemen if you're reading
Brittany
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
*ARC kindly provided via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review*

4/5 stars

I really enjoyed Pretty Smart Girls! When I first started reading it I figured it would be pretty stereotypical, but it was anything but that! I loved the characters individually, and how well they meshed together as a group. The girls were sassy (I have a soft spot for really sassy female characters so this was great for me) and the guys were swoon-worthy. Pretty Smart Girls is hilarious and I was laughing for most of t
Louise White
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pretty Smart Girls Lace Up was a highly entertaining read from the beginning. Shae Ross's New Adult novel centres around Ryan and her team of girls going toe to toe with Jett's team of boys in an entrepreneurial competition where the stakes are high and both teams of budding professionals are determined to win.
Jett has a family corporate background, but we gradually get to know that there's a little more that that to the rather arrogant and privileged young man.
Ryan has a chip on her shoulder du
Marla Mei
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, new-adult
This book kicked off to a great start. The humor was on point, the banters, sexual chemistry and of course, the tension between the two teams, especially Jett and Ryan.

But as soon as they got together, it felt like there's a ticking time bomb that's just waiting to go off any second now. They would be okay one moment and then for another, either of Ryan or Jett would have misconceptions about each other so of course they'd fight again. And I'm not even talking about the fights when they still h
Up All Night Book Addict
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015, reviews
I know this isn't what authors want to hear, but this is one of the cutest books I have read. Sorry, I said cute. I am not sure how else to describe it in one word!

This is one of those books where you aren't sure what exactly to expect. All is fair in business and war.... Or is business, war?

I breezed through this book. With all of the underhanded slyness and budding relationships throughout the book, there is always something to keep your attention. There wasn't a dull moment anywhere in this
Jessica Alcazar
ARC provided by Entangled Publishing, LLC via NetGalley for an honest review!

I had A LOT of fun reading this book. From the beginning, it was sassy and hilarious and sexy and FUN! I cant even begin to tell you how amusing some of the shenanigans these kids into! So we have a competition between two schools. One school is all girl and the other is boys. The girls NEED this win. They aren't as financial established as the boys are.....LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
Everything happens really fast in the book,
Dísir

Inter-collegiate rivalry tackled with the savviness of 'The Apprentice', with some romance thrown in for added spice.

This was an incredibly fun read and I was surprised to find myself liking Jett more and more as the story went on, most probably because he doesn't conform to the typical stereotype of the college player despite the frat-boy vibe. Ryan (what's this with the girls having male names anyway?) was equally fun and the girls' antics right at the beginning made me want to buy popcorn an
Melissa Meske
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received my advance review copy of Pretty Smart Girls Lace Up a few weeks ago, but I just had my first opportunity to open it up and take a look at what was inside over this weekend. Once again, author Shae Ross did not disappoint! The romance in this novel is steamy, but allows the reader enough latitude to imagine for themselves what is happening as the characters, Ryan and Jett, first meet, compete, and finally hook up. Their hearts and their lives intertwine through a shared commonality th ...more
Khulood
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-in-2014
I read this book in one sitting! Stayed up till 5:30 AM to finish it, and it was worth it. It is one of the first NA novels that I enjoyed fully. The characters got to actually know each other and go through a lot before falling in love.

The story was fun to read with some serious moments, but all in all, it was a very good read. The characters have chemistry, the events are believable, and the story just unfolds nicely.

Definitely worth reading if you want an NA story that actually has a plot.
Melissa J (Book Addicts Reviews)
4.5 stars!!
First off I would like to start off by thanking the author Shae Ross for sending me an ARC of this book! In return I will give my honest review.
This was such a cute and well written story. The main couple in this story was Ryan and Jett but I felt like all 3 couples were. I knew them all so well. I enjoyed this book because it was not raunchy or over the top with sexual stuff. It was just the right amount for me. This book reminded me of Donald Trump's TV show "Apprentice" but in a l
Heather andrews
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jett he knows how way around the rules, "I'm forbidden from asking you out while the competition is going on, but the week is coming to a close." He's smiling at me as if he's about to hand me a trophy. "I want to take you out after the competition ends." He's a generous man as well, "hey, if we can spend five grand on a pair of underwear. I'd like to think we can all man up and spend it on a friend in need." I really liked this book it reminded me of those game shows, Survivor, Celebrity Appren ...more
Nicole Ortiz
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC for an honest review. This is the first book I have read from this author I enjoyed this book very much it was highly entertaining once I started reading I couldn't put it down. The story has a nice flow to it. I enjoyed the rivalry and banter between the two teams. It's a fun read with serious moments. There is chemistry among the characters. The competion reminds me of the Apprentice. Highly recommend if your looking for a fun flirty NA novel. Can't wait to read the next book ...more
Avidlyreading Books
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
●ARC received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review●

Both Jett and Ryan are on opposing teams competing to win a 100k employment contract. Both endured losses in their lives and, even though they're very competitive, they put this aside long enough to fall in love. It is an endearing story, engaging story line, minimal angst and steam. Def a one-click worthy read!

Jett: tall, dark, hot, good on/off paper appeal
Ryan: pretty, blonde, high achieving

Hero: 5 stars
Heroine: 5 stars
Storyline : 5
Angie
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The author nails the rivalry between these two Colleges with a perfect story of high-stakes competition. Of course what's a little rivalry without the sass and smarts of these perfectly written MSU girls? This book kept me reading- I couldn't wait to see how Team Ryan would play Team Jett next. This author does a great job telling the story and drawing you in to each of the characters. I laughed, cheered, gritted my teeth and cried a bit too. Well done!
Charlotte
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not typically my go-to genre, however once I got into the book it became a really fun read. Love ALL of the female characters in the book, they're all so relatable. Shae Ross does a fabulous job of describing each character thoroughly and immediately. I was able to have a visual of all the players from the beginning.

I also believe Michigan State and University of Michigan fans will enjoy this book, as it keeps the true in-state rivalry alive.

Can't wait for the next one!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bargain Basement: Giveaway for a $25 Amazon Giftcard 1 6 Feb 07, 2015 04:28PM

• The Tango (Sexual Awakenings, #2)
  • The Rub Down (The Rub Down, #1)
  • Priya in Heels
  • Make Me, Take Me (Hot Nights, #3)
  • The Boss: Book Five (The Boss, #5)
  • The Seduction Game
  • Summer by Summer
  • Music for My Soul
  • Stripped
  • The Bouquet List
  • Carry Me Home (Off the Map, #3.1)
  • Resolution (Saviour, #2)
  • Distant Desires: Part Three
  • Saving Alessandra
  • An Unsuitable Husband
  • Her Soldier's Touch
  • See Through Me (Lose My Senses, #1)
  • Nacho Figueras Presents: Wild One (The Polo Season #2)
Shae Ross grew up in Ferndale, Michigan. She attended Michigan State University and continued her education at Detroit College of Law. Prior to 2014, she spent the majority of her career practicing corporate law and engaged in entrepreneurial ventures.

After having too many stressful days at the office, Shae began to pursue her lifelong dream of writing and signed a contract with Entangled Publish

Pretty Smart Girls (2 books)
  • Fearless
“Well, you know that old saying, “Keep your friends close and make out with your enemies.” 6 likes