Start by marking “The New Girl . . . and Me” as Want to Read:
The New Girl . . . and Me

The New Girl . . . and Me

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  136 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews

On her first day of school, who will be her friend? Raise your hand if it's you. You'll meet someone -- and something -- surprising.
Published July 1st 2006 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The New Girl . . . and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Girl . . . and Me

Carolynne
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shakeeta is the new girl and is hesitant about making new acquaintances, but comes off as somewhat hostile to the other girls, who also are apparently intimidated by a class leader who rejects Shakeeta. They start off by being curious and friendly but soon fall into line behind D.J., who fortuitously also rejects Mia, the narrator who wants to be friendly but feels rebuffed, and fearful of Shakeeta's pet iguana, Igabelle. This isn't enough of a connection to overcome their shyness with each othe ...more
Lisa Vegan
The “and Me” part of the title is on the back cover. So, at first glance it looks as though the title is “The New Girl…”

Peculiar book. I didn’t get it. I’m not a fan. I expected to be. I knew it was about a new girl at a school. I had to attend schools out of my area a few times while in elementary school, and I was used to kids coming into my classes mid-year. While working in school settings, having kids come in mid-year was not uncommon. So, I thought I’d enjoy that aspect.

I did like the igua
Oct 10, 2012 rated it liked it
The New Girl and Me tells of a girl’s tough first couple of days settling into a new school. At first, all the girls in the class are eager to show Shakeeta around the school and be her friend. The little girl is quite shy and when the teacher asks her what her name is, her reply is, “I have an iguana.”
Unfortunately, after only a day, the girls in the class forget about Shakeeta and play football with another boy in the class instead who has been mean to Shakeeta. One girl, Mia, really wants to
Kathryn
Mar 02, 2011 rated it liked it
When a new girl arrives in class, the children are very eager to show her around. The teacher says to "Make her feel at home." But, wonders little Mia, how can the new girl feel at home when she is at school? What does "home" feel like for her? She wants to find out, and makes a new friend in the process.

I feel like the outsider kid wandering off and shuffling my feet at the edge of the playground after skimming all the four- and five-star reviews of this book. My three stars make me seem like t
Myla
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very cute. My son loves it and he's only 10 months old.
Janina
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: rdg-350
This story is about a new girl named Shekeeta and Mia. When the new girl Shekeeta comes to class all Mia wants to do is make her feel at home like her teacher had said. Mia doesn't know how to do this or even how to talk to her. Especially with all the other girls wanting to be her friend as well. So far all Mia Knows is that Shekeeta has an iguana. Though one day Mia and Shekeeta find common ground at recess and Mia slowly starts to strike up a conversation with Shekeeta. Soon they are talking ...more
Sarah Nelson
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Preschoolers and kindergartners will love this book. Jacqui Robbins gets that age just right. When a new girl comes to class, Ms. Becky asks the students to make her feel at home. Sensitive Mia really wants to help, but doesn't quite know how, especially after D.J. calls the new girl "Shakeeta Mosquita" until Shakeeta says, "I'll punch you in the head!" (Mia doesn't want to get punched in the head, too.) But Mia keeps paying attention to the new girl's feelings and looks for an opportunity to co ...more
Miss Sarah
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: school
A great preschool and up introduction to having a new kid in class. Liked the natural progression and the fact that one of the old kids was scared to.
Cierra Garrison
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I first picked this book up because I found it in the Parents Choice section of the library. After reading it, I was so glad I stumbled upon it. This book tells the story of new girl Shakeeta and all of the things that come along with being the new student in class, whether they be good or bad. For example, one of Shakeeta's classmates, DJ said that she looked like an iguana, and the whole class laughed. I think this would be a great book to read upon finding out that a new student would be tran ...more
Nallely Ibarra
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book! As a teacher, I would read a loud this book to my students on the first day of school. This book is about a who is new at a school. She's kinda shy and mentioned her iguana. The teacher tells her students to treat the new girl as if she were at home. However, it only took one boy for the class to reject the new girl and laugh at her. Only one girl wanted to be friends with the new girl, and at the end she accomplished the teacher's wish to make her feel at hom ...more
Ruhama
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shakeeta is new, and shortly gives the impression (especially to shy girl Mia) that she's tough. Unfortunately, this toughness doesn't get her a place on the soccer team at recess, so it's just Mia and Shakeeta on the sidelines. Mia eventually screws up enough courage to talk with her, and soon the two become friends. The artwork complements the text wonderfully--the first scene with the two girls on the bench has them sitting far, far away, and by the end of their dialogue, they're super close. ...more
babyhippoface
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It's so hard to make friends in a new place, and this book illustrates that reality beautifully.

On Shakeeta's first day in a new school, she introduces herself by telling the class that she has an iguana. Mia wants to meet Shakeeta, but she's afraid of the iguana. After a boy calls Shakeeta "Shakeeta Mosquita" and she threatens to punch him in the head, Mia is too afraid to speak for fear of getting punched in the head herself.

Unkind circumstances find the two girls alone on the playground, an
george
Oct 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
I adored this book!! There's a new girl in Mia's class and everyone offers to show her around. Mia is curious about this girl who only answers "I have an iguana" when asked her name. But Mia is unsure how to be friends with Shakeeta; and she doesn't even know what an iguana is. Will Mia ever have the courage to try and be friends with the new girl?

Loved, loved it. Expresses so many feelings and experiences: shyness, being the new kid, making friends, curiosity, fear. The illustrations are simply
Ali Hill
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Needing a great multicultural/diversity book with a sweet happy ending? Then read The New Girl and Me. The book revolves around mainly two girls Mia (me) and Shakeeta (the new girl) along with members of their class in school. Mia befriends Shakeeta before everyone else does and makes her feel more at home at the school as their friendship begins. It's perfect for ages 4-7 plus the text is in both English and Spanish! So children learn a lesson on kindness and learn a second language all in one ...more
Kathryn Hogan
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book would be great for a new student that has just entered the classsroom. It explians how the new girl is shy and how she feels in the classroom. It shows that the new person entering the class knows none and it helps with making her feel more comfortable. It also explains how a student wants ti talk to the new girl but is shy and how she sees otherstudents being mean to her and picking on her. It shows how any student can choose to become friends with the new person added to the classroo ...more
Mary Ann
It isn’t an easy transition for Shakeeta being the new girl. At first, everyone wants to say hi, but soon the class bully teases and excludes her. Shy Mia is fascinated by Shakeeta’s iguana, and when both girls are excluded from the soccer team, they become friends, sharing giggles and fun. I especially love the way Mia raises questions which are not easily answered, but left open for discussion.
Salsabrarian
Shakeeta is the new girl in Mia's class and the teacher asks the kids to help Shakeeta feel at home. Mia puts a nice twist on determining if Shakeeta really feels at home "unless her house is like school, and she has 18 girls there who all want to show her around." Mia is also intrigued by Shakeeta's pet iguana and uses that fact as a springboard to tentatively extend her friendship. The insecurities of being the new kid and taking a chance are nicely developed.
Heila
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Sometimes illustrated children's books just knock it out of the park. This one is so phenomenal - in an incredibly gentle way, but with a lot of depth. Plus, there's innocent (but profound) little kid humor. But we all know that little kid humor can be the kind that's universal. This book explores and portrays such a winning example of the risks and rewards of friendship. And the illustrations are WONDERFUL - so subtle and beautiful. Obviously, I loved it.
Alice
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars I like that the girl is compassionate to the new girl named Shakeeta and tries to include her. I think this is an important message. What I didn't like was the "Punch in the head" the Shakeeta was standing up to a boy who was making fun of her and she said she would punch him in the head so the girl who wanted to befriend Shakeeta was afraid is she upset this girl she might get punched in the head. Violence isn't the answer kids...still a nice book!
Hannah Morrison
As someone who was the new girl plenty of times, I completely relate to this book. I would absolutely use this if I had a student transfer into my class, and to generally build character among the class. This is a book that a child could really connect to, which makes it important to have in a classroom.
Caitlin Barclay
This is a lovely story to read to a class that is anticipating a new student or to an individual who is a new student. The students can connect to the awkwardness and also the anxiousness of sharing parts of their lives with new people to become new friends! It is written in English and Spanish which is an even greater resource for Spanish speaking newcomers!
Amy
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is so great to read in class and to talk about new children coming to school. It's a good way to also introduce becoming friends with someone for the first time. And, it's written in English along with Spanish, which is a great resource for students to look at as they read or to find words that they know or are currently learning.
Madeline
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a story/lesson that taught people to be kind to others. It helped me to understand that the world is a mirror. If you are kind, people are kind back to you and if you are mean they respond with an unkind response.
Michele Knott
Another book to add to my "friends" collection. Great for discussion about how someone who is new might feel in a new situation. I didn't love the "punch me in the head" references.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I really liked this book. Would be great to read aloud with younger students.
Beth
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Mia helps to welcome Shakeeta at her school and even gets to meet her iguana.
Cara Byrne
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
A nice story about kindness and making someone new feel at home.
Hilesh Patel
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
my son's new favorite book. we read it every night.
Kelly
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully, sweet story about being the new girl. Who knew iguanas made excellent ice breakers!? Phelan's illustrations are Phabulous, too!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I admit it. I am obsessed with books. Not just my own, and not as obsessed as I am with my children, say, but obsessed enough to stress about how to catalog my books here when I already did them all on LibraryThing.

But I have figured it out and can relax. Books here are ones I've read starting in 2008. And some others I just love and needed to see again.

You can read my reviews and thoughts on rea
More about Jacqui Robbins