Start by marking “What the Duke Wants (Agents of Change, #1)” as Want to Read:
What the Duke Wants (Agents of Change, #1)

What the Duke Wants

(Agents of Change #1)

England 1814: Upstanding duke desperately seeks accident-prone wife from trade…

She is from trade. He is a duke and an agent for the crown with a name to restore and a mystery to solve.

Miss Grace (ha!) Radclyffe is an oftentimes hilariously clumsy 20-year-old orphan biding her time living with her uncle until she is old enough to come into her small inheritance. Much to her
ebook
Published January 26th 2015 by Liquid Silver Books (first published January 11th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about What the Duke Wants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What the Duke Wants

Start your review of What the Duke Wants (Agents of Change, #1)
Elaine
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A stunning debut. A lovely storyline and great characters - loved Ambrose & Grace. Surprised how good this story is. Full of intrigue.
The only thing I did notice was an error in the money - 1775.51 - is this decimalisation?
Candace N
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What The Duke Wants is the first book by Amy Quinton that I have read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Honestly, this is a book I could read time and time again. Everything about it, from how it’s written, to the characters, and the storyline, is this amazing package of solid, and enjoyable reading pleasure. There is so much emotion in the writing and I was absolutely captivated by how brilliant and beautiful it was. I loved the characters! I was mesmerized by Ambrose and Grace and I loved Cliff as ...more
Rosanna Leo
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What The Duke Wants by Amy Quinton was a pleasure to read. In fact, I can honestly say it's one of the few books recently that I have been loathe to set aside. Upon reaching the end of a steamy scene, wanting desperately to know what happened next, I realized I was up way past my bedtime and made the decision to save the rest for the next day. I proceeded to wonder about where the plot would lead late into the night. To me, that makes a great book. This is a lovely historical piece with a health ...more
Angela
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What could be more satisfying than a lovely, slightly complicated (as the best romances always are!) romance with a smattering of suspense? Not much. In What the Duke Wants, Amy Quinton has written a beautiful novel than engages the imagination and captures the complexity and beauty of Regency period England. With compelling characters and an intriguing mystery, this book hits all the right notes. I can't wait for the next in the series.

Beth T Brown
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and fun adventure

Great story. Funny,suspenseful and a sweet story. I really enjoyed the characters and cannot wait for the next book in this series.
Pamela
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rated 4.5
Review courtesy of Romance Junkies:

Jessica Cale
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romances
After the death of her father, Miss Grace Radclyffe (“Calamity Grace”) is forced to live with her aunt and uncle, the Earl and Countess of Swindon, until she comes into her inheritance on her twenty-first birthday. Grace is not graceful, but don’t let her clumsiness fool you--this and the fact that she is “from trade” (something that her relations won’t let her forget) are really her only (questionable) faults. She is tirelessly kind, she handles her foibles with humor and grace, and deals with ...more
Jody
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a fan of historical romances I love discovering new authors able to breathe fresh air into the genre and with this debut work there's much that makes it memorable. From its delightful heroine to its sensual banter to a secondary character who's left me panting for the next installment I found this an enjoyable journey.

Grace is unlike most women of the time. Class distinction doesn't concern her, she aspires to design fashions and own her own shop when she comes of age, and she's incredibly cl
Ki
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, own, ebook
This is my first book from Amy and well, she’s a new-to me author and has just debuted. YAY!

From the moment I read the blurb of this book I was hooked, I mean come one, both the hero and heroine are total opposites and you know what they say, opposites attracts~ *wink wink*

Anyhow I also love a kind, friendly and imperfect heroine and an agent/spy for a hero. If you know me I really love spies so this was a hit for me.

I was surprise there was a secondary story within this one, which was great and
Vikki Vaught
Rating: 3.75 Stars

Vikki’s Musings

I received What the Duke Wants from the publisher via Goddess Fish Promotions for an honest review. The book description sounded interesting, and I always love books set during the Regency period.

Ambrose Langtry, the tenth Duke of Stonebridge is ready to set up his nursery and chooses Lady Beatryce, the daughter of The Earl of Swindon, a longtime family friend. When he arrives at a house party the earl and his countess are giving, the last thing he expects is to
Ermione Pickwick
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing

OMG! OMG! OMG! This novel is sooooo AMAZINGLY PERFECT! I would give more than 5 if I could!

It was some time since I last read something so emotionally moving as this romance. I had shivers, I almost cried, I've fallen in love with the characters, the timing was so good, the developments even better, the chemistry between the protagonists, their incomprehensions and conflicts, the almost love triangle, the mystery (which by the way I want to know how is going to be progressed), the DECLARATIONS,
Carla Smith
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and cannot wait to see where the author is going to take these characters. Although I found Stonebridge's preoccupation with the expectations of his title to be a little grating at times (he's an Agent for the Crown - show some backbone man!) it did not detract from the overall enjoyment of the story, but I confess, if it were me, I would so totally want to run off with Dansbury!

Grace is totally charming, and as klutzy as they come, something I can relate to. The dinner scene w
Philip Daniels
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love is in the air

Adult romance lovers, this is without a doubt a must have for your personal library...I enjoyed this book very much...laughter, intrigue, suspense, heroes, villains with only minor sadness. I rarely read any book twice, but this one...without a doubt I would again. Happy reading!!!
Juliet DeTiberiis
Thoroughly enjoyed this and can't wait to read the next!

I wandered off my norm of paranormal romance and was not one bit disappointed. Loved the story and the characters and am thankful to have had my eyes opened to another genre of romance books.
Debra Martin
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect!

This is the second time I have read this book within a year. I can't wait for Agents of Change Book 2.
Claudia
this was a difficult read - not sure I really like it

review to come
LOU71
What the Duke Wants is the first book in the Agents of Change series, and a debut novel for the author. Set in London, England 1814. A mix of mystery, romance, and intrigue, the story has brilliant moments of story-telling. Unfortunately, the historical romance vibe felt modern, and the Hero’s lack of integrity was unappealing to me.

Ambrose Langtry, the tenth Duke of Stonebridge, is a man with a tragic past. His father died mysteriously when he was twelve years old. On a quest to restore his fa
Lesley
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Readable.

This story had an interesting plot but was very much in the modern style of historical romances ie. rakish/caddish behaviour, unchaperoned single young women etc. I really enjoyed the character of Grace, though I disliked the extent of internal monologue (of both H and h) in the early stages of the novel. She had a lovely personality and I’m sure would make a good friend. In contrast we have Stonebridge whose actions are far from gentlemanly, in fact he is often cruel and not very likea
Tanda D Pena
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
But Does He Deserve It?

Adorable, clumsy Grace is the glue holding this story together. She has wit, a happy spirit, and an irrepressible self-deprecating sense of humor. The Duke has a whole lot of learning to do in order to deserve this woman who is ‘tainted’ by her connection with trade. Oddly enough, I actually liked the Marquess of Dansbury better. Charm, loyalty and honor!
Mary  Aquino
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyable!

This story has a little bit of everything in it. Intrigue, romance, thrills, sex....and very believable characters. The mystery is a part of the story that kept me booked until the very last page. I could barely put it down!
June
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the usual for its ilk..a cotton candy break
D.w.
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
This book is not just a Regency Romance, but also has elements of Mystery as well, hence the Agents of Change series that it is the first of. I will take a look then at how both of these elements play out and balance. For those of you who know my work, sex has little place in my own regency romances, for they are what are termed Sweet. My stories end with a kiss on or near the last paragraph of the last scene.

I give this caveat as Ms. Quinton has a different style than my own. And this leads you
Anna
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What the Duke Wants – Or Better…What the Duke’s Heart Wants!

The Duke of Stonebridge is a logical fellow. He knows that he needs to marry. He knows his duty to his title. His father’s death had created scandal and he swore to do everything he could to make sure he did everything in his power – and it is considerable power – to bring respectability back to his family title. He needs to find a wife and make sure that he could create heirs. His approach is logical. He requires someone that isn’t si
Billie Jo
Jul 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-sadly-dnf
I love finding new authors. This book has such great reviews and I was expecting to be swept away. I can only guess this one comes down to preference. By the 4th chapter I was tired of reading all the long drawn out background info. Every time Grace said something there would be several paragraphs explaining why she said or felt they way she did. Let the characters tell their story instead of the author explaining it to me!

The book had a great story line but I just kept thinking to myself... Get
Macaron
I like the plot, even though I don't appreciate the fact that it is left unfinished. The heroine is nice but quite weak, never fighting for what she wants or loves. As for the protagonist – I can't even call him a hero – he is a boor, an odious man who keeps hurting Grace.
The constant turnaround in the characters' personalities is quite unbelievable.
Michelle Halber
A generic repeating of many standards in historical romance novels. Sweet orphan cousin taken in by family with beautiful, nasty daughter who is about to become engaged to a Duke.

There are some cute parts with some warm humor, and certainly enough of a spy story to last a couple of books, but there simply is not enough that is unique about this book to recommend it.
Darlene
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is a romance mixed with mystery and intrigue that kept me hooked. Lots of surprising turns of events that will keep you reading to see what happens next. I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Jennifer Craig
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of Amy Quinton’s that I have read and was charmed. It was a great story with wonderfully written characters. It had humor, romance and intrigue. I can’t wait to read more of Ms. Quinton’s works.
Tina
Grace Radclyffe is misnamed, for she is prone to unfortunate mishaps and graceless gaffes. But she has a good heart, and a determination to make her own way in the world ... once she gets out from under her uncle's thumb when she turns 21. Unfortunately, her uncle has other plans.
BK
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little drawn out, but an entertaining read.

• London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • The Earl's Practical Marriage
  • Fallen
  • The Lady Chosen (Bastion Club, #1)
  • The Madness of Viscount Atherbourne (Rescued from Ruin, #1)
  • Fire & Frost: A Bluestocking Belles Collection
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
  • Wicked At Heart (Heroes of the Sea, #5)
  • Wish Upon A Duke (Duke's Club, #3)
  • The Duke's Perfect Wife (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4)
  • No Man's Bride (Misadventures in Matrimony, #1)
  • The Daring Duke (The 1797 Club, #1)
  • Morgan and Archer (Windham, #8.5)
  • To Seduce A Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • The Virtuoso (Duke's Obsession, #3; Windham, #3)
  • This Duchess of Mine (Desperate Duchesses, #5)
  • Signs of Attraction
Amy Quinton writes humorous historicals with heat, often from her back porch in Summerville, South Carolina but sometimes with her BFF at the kitchen table. And only when her dog and three cats allow. (She’s guilty of spoiling them horribly.)

She’s susceptible to shiny things, soft things, leather, trips to the thrift store, Whisky, tattoos, witchy things, Bunco with her Bitches, and men in kilts (

Agents of Change (4 books)
  • What the Marquess Sees (Agents of Change, #2)
  • What the Scot Hears (Agents of Change, #3)
  • What the Rake Remembers (Agents of Change, #4)