Start by marking “18 Best Stories by Edgar Allan Poe” as Want to Read:
18 Best Stories by Edgar Allan Poe

18 Best Stories by Edgar Allan Poe

A chilling compilation of some of Edgar Allen  Poe's best-loved stories, edited by Vincent Price and  Chandler Brossard and with an introduction by  Vincent Price, including:

The Black  Cat - The Fall of the House of Usher - The Masque  of the Red Death - The Facts in the Case of M.  Valdemar - The Premature Burial - Ms. Found in a Bottle  - A Tale of the Ragged Mountains -
Paperback, Laurel Edition, 288 pages
Published April 15th 1965 by Dell (first published April 1965)

To ask other readers questions about 18 Best Stories by Edgar Allan Poe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 18 Best Stories by Edgar Allan Poe

Behzad Sadeghi
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story
The truly mad and horrifying genius of Poe can best be found in "the Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar", "the Murders in the Rue Morgue", "the Gold Bug" and "the System of Dr. Tarr and Prof. Fether".
Some other stories could have been really brilliant had it not been for the overly poetic language and really long introductory parts before the main story begins.
Matt
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a collection of 18 shorts by Poe. I had read some of his work in the past and was interested in looking into some of his lesser known works. I was underwhelmed. His writing is very detailed and he uses loads of words and pages to build to a climax. I guess what I had already seen of his stuff was the best. I loved “The Raven” and think poetry is his strong suit.
Larry McCloskey
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
EVERYBODY needs to read some Edgar Allan Poe...everybody. Plus, this particular collection has an introduction by Vincent Price, who most people confuse with Poe on some level. Perfect, right? Overall, though, this collection was kind of disappointing. Several of the stories would have been reviewed better on their own, but there were some real clunkers and letdowns.

"The Black Cat" may be my new favorite story of Poe's. I knew of it from the film, but the story is great. "The Pit and the Pendulu
Mariam Alaa
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There isn't much I could say that'd do this collection justice. All I know is Edgar Allan Poe does in a short story what others could only dream of doing in a full-length novel. He takes you deep into the darkest pits of human nature, offers you insight into the psychology of a sociopath, and an overall understanding of a world you probably wouldn't have otherwise known, which is what great literature does. The detailed language can be a little too much, but the plot greatly makes up for it. Bet ...more
Christina
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, holidaze2017
Overall, okay. I like that the M. Auguste Dupin stories are included ("The Purloined Letter"), and some classic macabre tales (e.g. "Masque of the Red Death", "The Black Cat"). Reading beyond "The Raven" and the most famous stories I could enjoy Poe's humor, but to me it seemed he had a peculiar and sublime fixation on asphyxiation.
Jason
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Why I choose it:
I choose my book because Edgar Allan Poe is known for being a great author especially for more mysterious scary stories and October is spooky season so I thought it was appropriate to read it now. Also in seventh grade we read an Edgar Allan Poe short story and I really enjoyed and thought it was very interesting and I wanted to read more stories like it.

Summary:
The book is a compilation of many short stories so I will talk about a few. The first one is The Black Cat, in the begi
Ryan
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall, this collection has some really fantastic stories and some bland ones. The introduction by Vincent Price was a nice touch and I now feel like I have a much better understanding of Poe and his body of work. He's famous for his short stories that changed the horror genre but I was unaware of his importance to the modern detective novel. Poe has a wonderful grasp on the English language and even in stories that I didn't necessarily enjoy, I appreciated his writing style. I wrote my thought ...more
Pedram
Nov 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant collection! Poe is perfect storyteller, perfect researcher, many years ahead of his time. He did not cut the drama side in favor of any direct philosophical nonsense! He tells story, complex plots and bitter or morbid to many's taste! What strikes me the most is that every element is measured and intelligently placed in order to help the story, providing clues for the alert reader. Components plays in harmony with each other. Hence the whole structure of stories are rock solid with l ...more
Rita
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
18 Best Stories by Edgar Allen Poe--3 🌟 overall, but some of these stories are lame...
The Black Cat 3 🌟(p.11)--A man has a black cat, who loves him and his wife. He starts drinking a lot and he's not a nice drunk. Still, the cat loves him, and so does his wife, no matter how much of an asshole he is.
The Fall of the House of Usher 2 🌟(p.21)-- A hypochondriac implores his friend (who apparently doesn't have a job) to come stay with him awhile in the hopes that his visit will alleviate his depressi
Lindsay
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Some of these stories were great but some were too drawn out/wordy. Poe really knows how to put readers in suspense though - I can still hear my heart beating from nerves.
Cliff
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, we readers must have to read Poe some time...
Josiah Zahina
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was my first experience of Poes writing and I will say that he was very successful in showing me the level of mystery and excitement the people of that time were able to experience. I finished a few of his stories almost wishing I lived in that time simply for the adventurers spirit that was in everyones hearts. Also the black cat was one of the funniest dark comedies I have ever come across, loved it
Angela
A Poe book edited by Vincent Price! Give this up? Never!!!

As the title indicates, eighteen Poe stories are collected in one volume:

The Black Cat
A Descent Into The Maelstrom
The Purloined Le
Rleffert37
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of the short stories created by renowned poet Edgar Allan Poe. Some of you might recognize his work such as the all time classic “The Raven”. This book is called “18 best stories by Edgar Allan Poe”. You might even find stories that will become your favorites.

These stories have a certain touch to the readers’ hearts. These stories have a nice touch of calmness and chaos. There were some tales that I recalled reading in a younger age. My personal favorites were “The Tell
Book Concierge

I read a variety of Poe’s works when I was in middle school and high school, but this collection had a number of stories I don’t recall ever reading before - The Facts of the Case of M Valdemar (couldn’t help but think of Valdemort), The Black Cat, A Tale of the Ragged Mountains, The Sphinx, The System of Dr Tarr and Prof Fether, The Man That was Used Up, The Balloon Hoax, and A Descent Into the Maelstrom.

Not all of his tales are horror stories, and several - especially The Murders in the Rue M
James Mourgos
Jan 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: a scholar of Poe's works
Well, wrapping up this book. It's not Edgar's fault of course, but I actually like the adaptations better. It's partly the writing style that is hard for me and mostly the language. He used many French, Latin and other words that are not part of my vocab and my vocab is pretty darn good!

I enjoyed the Vincent Price preface as he has played a few of the characters in Poe's collection. Once I cleared up the terms and what the heck the writer was talking about, I did enjoy the Pit and the Pendulum
David Allen
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
With every major story and a few well-chosen minor ones, this 1965 Dell paperback may stand as the best Poe story collection available. Missing the poems, alas. But also missing the marginal stories (like the boring Marie Roget) most collections are plumped out with. I doubt Vincent Price had anything to do with choosing the stories, but if his name as co-editor helped get this in print, our thanks to him. Spooky cover, too.
Steph Hays
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Some of them are great. The Masque of the Red Death is my particular favorite as it appeals to me with its use of imagery; it paints a vivid picture in your mind's eye.

Many of the stories are not, however, all that moving and some are even boring. I am particularly unimpressed by the Fall of the House of Usher, The Murders in the Rue Morgue (but perhaps it is because I have seen this plot recycled so many times), and the Premature Burial.

Aydan
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
I understand Edgar's impact on literature and why he was a major writer. I find his use of language grasping as it created vivid images and added a feel to the stories. However the story plot themselves did not appeal much. I found myself curiously reading to see how the short stories end, to see nothing happening or not coming to a clear conclusion.
Samantha
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These short stories were obviously written a long time ago so of course the way it was worded was sometimes hard to read and some of the stories took a long time to get into. But other than that I did really enjoy all of the stories he told. They were perfectly gruesome. I'm a big fan of Edgar Allan Poe and I'd love to read some more of his poetry and his other short stories.
Planchette
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The five stars are for the stories I remember reading, and regularly reread:
* The Black Cat
* The Masque of the Red Death
* The Murders in the Rue Morgue
* The Tell-Tale Heart
* A Descent into the Maelström
* The Purloined Letter
* The Pit and the Pendulum
* The Cask of Amontillado

The others are on the to-do list.
Erick E.
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think the book 18 best stories by Edgar Allan Poe was great because I read each story and each one was thrilling which is the kind of book that I like/love. I would recommend for others to read this as well because I liked it that much. The first story, The Black Cat, was thrilling and exciting.
Melanie
Oct 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
I am just not a Poe fan I guess. I like the story line, but have a difficult time getting through the wordy stories. I think most of them can still give the total creep factor, but cut out about 1/3 of the words.
Danny
May 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
It was good to review some EAP. My top three are The Black Cat, The Gold Bug, and The Pit and the Pendulum.
Taylor
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have always loved Edgar Allan Poe's short stories & poems. This particular book is great because it's only a few stories compiled together to give you a taste of his style.
Marts  (Thinker)
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, horror
Once again some of Poe's best horror stories are meshed into this title.
Pige
Aug 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Creepy.
Dave
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: eventually
Enjoying these, but not like I did years ago. To pick up again someday.
Gretchen
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Always better the second time around
Kristine Raugust charette
Some stories I loved... Some were over my head. Honestly, I'm just glad it's over. That took forever!

• Cthulhurotica
  • The Empire of Fear
  • A Magic-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • The Lineup: 20 Provocative Women Writers
  • The Ultimate Dracula
  • The Bible Story (Ten Volume Set)
  • Fantasy & Science Fiction, May/June 2014 (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, #713)
  • The Practical Princess and Other Liberating Fairy Tales
  • Uncle John's Supremely Satisfying Bathroom Reader (Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, #14)
  • Vampires: A Field Guide to the Creatures That Stalk the Night