Start by marking “Fear the Drowning Deep” as Want to Read:
Fear the Drowning Deep

Fear the Drowning Deep

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  914 Ratings  ·  282 Reviews
Witch’s apprentice Bridey Corkill has hated the ocean ever since she watched her granddad dive in and drown with a smile on his face. So when a dead girl rolls in with the tide in the summer of 1913, sixteen-year-old Bridey suspects that whatever compelled her granddad to leap into the sea has made its return to the Isle of Man.

Soon, villagers are vanishing in the night,
Published October 11th 2016 by Sky Pony Press (first published October 4th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Fear the Drowning Deep, please sign up.
Sarah Glenn Marsh Waiting is pure evil!

At least it's only months, and not a year out anymore? ;)
Sarah Glenn Marsh This made my day; thank you so much! I don't know if there will ever be a follow-up to this book, but I can definitely assure you that the pearl was…moreThis made my day; thank you so much! I don't know if there will ever be a follow-up to this book, but I can definitely assure you that the pearl was there for the reason you think it was :)(less)
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YA Debuts 2016
261 books — 1,439 voters
YA Novels of 2016
1,234 books — 9,562 voters

More lists with this book...

Lola
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
It’s with a tremendous amount of excitement that I began reading this story, one I very much anticipated for the past few months.

That’s right, I’m a sucker for everything witch-related.

Which is why I wanted to cry when I realized it wasn’t going to be a main focus. Bouhouhouhouh.

It’s not about Morag or Bridey’s apprenticeship. For the record, at first it’s more of a magical realism theme that is being presented than a head-on ‘‘magic’’ one so, consequently, Bridey being the town witch’s apprenti
Sarah Glenn Marsh
Dec 17, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, I'm the author, so I'm proud of this even though it's not out yet :)
Nastassja
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of illogical love-centered stories

A massive case of insta-love killed this book. Prepare for SPOILERS and sea monsters. Ah, kidding, there's no sea monsters, just the one called insta-love that gutted this book.

So, what Fear the Drowning Deep is basically about:

There was a girl and she hated and feared the water, because her granddad jumped off the cliff before her eyes. The girl wanted to go far far away from the sea. The girl had a best friend. She liked him a lot. They even kissed once. One day the girl saw a body washed asho

Jodi Meadows
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-blurbed
Official comments: FEAR THE DROWNING DEEP is gorgeous. Lyrical. Atmospheric. Magical. Sarah Glenn Marsh’s debut is perfect for anyone who’s ever looked out at the sea with awe, and wondered what kind of creatures lurk in the deepest places. Utterly haunting.

Jeff Zentner
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is as gorgeously spooky, haunting, and intriguing as the cover would suggest. It's cinematic, atmospheric, and an utterly thrilling page turner. I read this in the dead of July, sweating, and I already can't wait to read it on a misty Autumn night, wrapped in a blanket, with something hot to drink and nowhere I have to be and nothing I have to do. It's THAT kind of a book. Five WELL earned stars. This is an author to watch.
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

I received this E-ARC from the author and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I am also participating in the Sunday Street Team.

I had heard about this book through Twitter. Quite a few people were talking about it but at the time it didn't catch my eye. It wasn't until I got the sign up form for the street team that I considered reading it.

Now I suppose because I didn't really care much for Fear the Drowning Deep I didn't h
Hailee
Sep 01, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2016-releases
Please be killer mermaids.
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
I knew going into this book that it was going to be masterful, and I was not disappointed! Fear the Drowning Deep is like nothing I've ever read before. Sarah's writing is hauntingly beautiful in this enchanting and treacherous tale. The characters are wonderful, the plot is well-executed, the writing is gorgeous—I mean, what more could you ask for?

Fear the Drowning Deep brings to life a culturally rich setting that I've never read about; I truly loved reading and learning about the Isle of Man!
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
~*Full review notes on The Bent Bookworm!*~

“Nothing from the ocean is meant to survive on land forever.”

Feels :

Satisfaction. I adored the resolution of this book. It’s not a perfect happily-ever-after (HEA) and that makes ME so very, very happy. I’m a disgruntled, hard-hearted porcupine when it comes to love, and while I like endings with hope, only rarely do I completely get behind a tidy little HEA. FtDD has a very hopeful ending, but one that could go several different ways. I loved that.

Ch
Karina
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
UPDATE: ENTER TO WIN FEAR THE DROWNING DEEP by Sarah Glenn Marsh Ends 12/23/16

“Maybe some wonder what’s in the deep, far beyond their reach, but none of them know, and they never will.”

Set in an isolated island? YEEES!! ✔

Witch? YES, YES, YES! ✔

Terrifying sea monsters? OHH FREAKING YES! ✔

Fear the Drowning Deep by Sarah Glenn Marsh is screaming perfection. Perfect setting, perfect characters, well-executed plot, beautiful and excellent writing. What else I or even you, could ask for?

First chap
Ellen Gail
Nothing kept secrets like the sea.

2.5 stars. Fear the Drowning Deep explores a beautiful mythology and history, one that I've never personally seen explored in fiction. The year is 1913, the setting is the Isle of Man, a beautiful island in the Irish Sea. Fishing is a big part of their economy, but something in the water has been driving away the fish. And people are disappearing over the cliffs without a trace.

There's something in the water.

You know, I was going to put a gif here. Something c
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
4.5*

First thing you need to know about this book: the atmosphere is incredible. Like, I could feel the eerie, unsettling vibe of a sea town in distress. The story is set in 1913, which totally adds to the ambience- obviously no one can call for help, transportation is minimal, etc. It created a sense of urgency and isolation, and I loved it so much!

The setting was obviously perfect for strange disappearances at sea. Bridey is all too familiar with this, since she lost her beloved grandfather to
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fear the Drowning Deep was a novel I went into without quite knowing what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by the vivid world building and this eerily creepy sea story we have going on in this novel. It was the first of this author, and I really do hope this won’t be the last.

Immediately, the writing style sucked me in. I’m someone who goes on and on about writing style, but to me it really does make a big difference as to whether or not I’ll be able to enjoy the novel. I read this one in
Katherine
”The sea did strange things to people. It played tricks on the mind. Its vastness hid things.... Bodies. Secrets.”

Sixteen year old Bridey has been afraid of the ocean ever since her grandfather willingly plunged to his death when she was a little girl. It doesn’t help at all that her father’s a fisherman and lives on the Isle of Man, which is entirely surrounded by water. But ever since that horrible day, Bridey wants nothing more than to run away from the sea to somewhere, anywhere not surrou
☆Stephanie☆
Title: Fear the Drowning Deep
Author: Sarah Glenn Marsh
Publisher: Sky Pony Press, 2016
Genre: YA Fantasy, YA Historical Fiction, YA Paranormal

**I received a copy of this book free from Edelweiss and the Publisher in exchange for an honest review**

This review can be found on my My BlogTeacherofYA's Tumblr, or my Goodreads page

My Review:

Gosh. This cover still amazes me...even though my digital ARC does not include this gorgeous #coverlove. I hate that. But what are you gonna do?

So, I really liked
Sabrina
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2016
Checkout my full review on my blog!! http://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot....

From this first page I knew that Fear the Drowning Deep would be unique. With a twist of witchcraft and mythology, Fear the Drowning Deep is charming, thrilling, and just gorgeous. The writing is what I loved most about it. The lush detailed descriptions interwoven throughout the book made me look at my writing and thought, how mundane.

One thing that I found surprising was the history incorporated in this book. The end
Katie
I had the wonderful privilege of reading this book as one of Sarah's critique partners and guys...you DO NOT want to miss this book. (But don't let my bias dissuade you!) It's full of mythology and danger and romance, sea monsters and witches and magic. The world is fully realized, the characters remaining in your heart and mind long after you finish reading.

This is one fantasy not to be missed.
Kali Wallace
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh, what a lovely book this is! Set on the Isle of Man in the early 20th century, FEAR THE DROWNING DEEP is utterly steeped in the island's superstitions, folklore, and culture. The island and its people come alive in these pages--nosy neighbors, dangerous seas, old stories and all--and I just love how rich it all feels, with a real sense of history and community.

I also adore the main character Bridey, to determined to protect her loved ones and her home in spite of her fears and her dreams of
Allison
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

Full review closer to pub date!
Caleb Roehrig
The second I saw that FEAR THE DROWNING DEEP was set on the Isle of Man, I knew I needed to read it. I love books with unusual settings, and especially books that can transport me to a foreign place and make it come alive on the page; in addition, I kinda have a weakness for historical fiction - especially books that make use of an oft-neglected time period, like the nineteen-teens. FTDD promised these things, as well as sea monsters and witches and hot lads, and BOY did it deliver!

Sarah Glenn M
mith
I was kind of surprised by how much I enjoyed this. It was a decently paced story, with enough romance and action. I liked the main character and the various relationships throughout the story.
My complaint, though, lies within the romance. I didn't like how fast it happened... It felt too soon. I also wish that Bridey's best friends played more of a role in the story.
Other than that, I liked how Marsh wrote! She wove magic and sea creatures into an amazing story, created a main character who w
S.M. Parker
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is so crazy good I was DY-ING the whole time I was reading it! The story is immersive and slyly creepy and flat out phenomenal. Marsh has blown me away. It’s ridiculous how good this book is. If you have been thinking about buying this book—or your mouse has been hovering over the pre-order button—commit. Right now. You will not be sorry. I mean, you’ll be bummed because you have to wait until it debuts in October, but it will be worth it. Marsh’s story is layered and gorgeous and will ...more
Tara Sim
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is delightful and oh so atmospheric. I loved the setting of the Isle of Man, and how it works as the perfect background for the magical goings-on in the story. Not only that, but the folklore and the Manx culture were wonderful additions. Oh, and did I mention that there are sea monsters? If you're a fan of The Scorpio Races, you'll want to get your hands on this one!
Catherine
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal! I was completely captivated by the world Sarah Glenn Marsh creates in Fear the Drowning Deep. The story was simultaneously touching, creepy, haunting and gripping. This is a 2016 release not to be missed!
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
An atmospheric book about the beautiful Isle of Man and the sea monsters that can exist underneath it's waters. I enjoyed the interaction between Bridey and the cast out witch who she becomes an apprentice for and how she becomes her mentor. However, the romance had zero chemistry and I found the book to be quite shallow when it comes to the depth of the characters. A magical, oceanic read, but one that I could give or take.
Chelsea
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I read such a culturally immersive book. Every time I picked this up, I was right back not the Isle of Man, speaking with a Manx lilt and wishing I could eat some kippers in a pub barefoot. As an Irish girl, this culture is immensely appealing to me and I couldn't wait to get back to this story each time I put it down.

Set in the early 20th century on a tiny island off the coast of Ireland and England, we follow Bridey who has a quite well deserved fear of the sea. She
Laurie Flynn
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sweet-sixteens
Wow! What an incredibly unique, sumptuous, and vivid debut novel. Set in the Isle of Mann in 1913, FEAR THE DROWNING DEEP is the story of a girl named Bridey who is terrified of the ocean-- for good reason. When she was a child, she watched the sea claim her granddad, and she has steered clear of it ever since. But when a dead girl washes up on shore, followed by a badly wounded but beautiful boy with no memory, Bridey realizes she can't avoid what is lurking in the ocean depths--especially when ...more
Rosalyn Eves
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've been wanting to read this book for over a year now for the Manx historical setting, the promise of dark magic. FEAR THE DROWNING DEEP was well worth the wait--I loved Bridey, how despite her intense fear of the ocean, she was still brave enough to face it to save the people she loved. I adored the setting, from the bits of Manx to the complex relationship between the sea and the land, to the bits of Manx folklore woven through the story. But mostly, I loved the relationship between Bridey a ...more
Jennifer Bardsley
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Fear The Drowning Deep" by Sarah Glenn Marsh is party historical fiction, party fantasy, and entirely awesome. It lets the story of a teenage girl named Bridey who is terrified of water ... which is rough, because she lives on an island in a community of fisherman. Bridey is positive that a mysterious ocean danger lured her grandfather to his death a while back, and now she wants nothing to do with anything related to sea.

But when a handsome boy washes up ashore, stark naked, Bridey risks her
Em
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fear the Drowning Deep was amazing! The whole book was filled with magic and excitement and anticipation. There was a surprise in every chapter and it kept me on my toes till the very end.
I loved so many things about Fear the Drowning Deep. Firstly, the names. Oh my gosh, the names. I love them so much. And I can't forget the nicknames like Bridey-bird... they add such a special touch to the writing!
Secondly, I loved the setting and the use of Manx (a Gaelic language). It all feels so authentic
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 4 Sep 05, 2015 01:30PM
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
  • Blood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)
  • Bound by Blood and Sand (Bound by Blood and Sand #1)
  • Iron Cast
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Timekeeper (Timekeeper, #1)
  • The Secret Horses of Briar Hill
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • The Reader (Sea of Ink and Gold, #1)
  • Fire and Heist
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)
  • Flashfall (Flashfall, #1)
  • The Dragon's Price (Transference, #1)
  • Pitch Dark
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)
  • Poison's Kiss (Poison's Kiss, #1)
Sarah Glenn Marsh writes young adult novels and children's picture books.

She lives, writes, and paints things in Virginia, supported by her husband, four rescued greyhounds, three birds, and many fish.

If she could, she'd adopt ALL THE ANIMALS.

Oh, and she'd love to be your friend here on Goodreads, or over on Twitter http://twitter.com/SG_Marsh!
More about Sarah Glenn Marsh

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars Part One
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)
    $9.94 $3.99
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Volume 1
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • Life of Pi
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 1 (Smoke and Shadow, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • City
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“And with the melody came the unmistakable sound of water slapping against the rocks far below us, slowly eroding the foundation of Port Coire and everything I loved.” 7 likes
“Nothing from the ocean is meant to survive on land forever.” 5 likes