Start by marking “Writing Brave and Free: Encouraging Words for People Who Want to Start Writing” as Want to Read:
Writing Brave and Free: Encouraging Words for People Who Want to Start Writing

Writing Brave and Free: Encouraging Words for People Who Want to Start Writing

Sometimes setting pen to paper requires bravery, and writing well means breaking free of the rules learned in school. Liberating and emboldening the beginning writer are the goals of Ted Kooser and Steve Cox in this spirited book of practical wisdom that brings to bear decades of invaluable experience in writing, teaching, editing, and publishing. Unlike “how to write” boo ...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Bison Books

To ask other readers questions about Writing Brave and Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Brave and Free

Ron
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great advice for beginning poets, including "give up any hope of making money at it," and just enjoy the journey. Practical and inspirational companion to a poetry course I'm taking currently at The Attic Institute in Portland, OR.
T-Reader
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Does exactly what it says on the tin. Very encouraging, sensitively written with some great advice and interesting anecdotes. Most important tools are confidence, joy in the work and the heart to write wild and free! Good man Ted :)
Heather
Overall, I would probably have given this just three stars, but it did have a few gems that I'm going to incorporate into my teaching of writing - such as having students go back through a journal entry to highlight "no," "never," and "not" - and then to have them rewrite those passages using positive terms.

I liked the short, easy-to-digest chapters, and overall, it was a useful reminder of many writing tips and tricks without having much that was particularly new or novel.
Jennifer Worrell
Oct 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: craft
Short and sweet encouraging book with some tips and guidance. There are some interesting notes on writers' groups, which gave me ideas of what I want to look for when I'm ready for one. My favorite quote: "Before you send a poem, story, essay or chapter out in public, you want to make sure its shirt is tucked in."

Bridgett
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, poetry
Generous, kind, and patient, Writing Brave and Free is exactly what its title promises, "encouraging words for people who want to start writing."
Philip
Dec 16, 2008 added it
This is a wonderful and supportive book not just for "beginning" writers but anyone who's looking for encouragement to deepen their commitment to writing.
Betty
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
very informative and thought provoking
Sam Koenen
Dec 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wordsmithy
Kooser's prose is as smooth and simple as his poetry. This book has some helpful advice especially for young writers, or veterans who have forgotten that writing is about more than fame and money.
Cornelia DeDona
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loaded with useful information--
Nancy Loewen
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very accessible, well-organized book for people who want to start writing--and I think it has plenty of good advice for those of us who already are. Ted Kooser is a treasure.
Elaine
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book inspired me to write even when I wasn't sure of my writing skills.
RRVWP
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you want to write, go for it...be bold and take a look at this book, a no-nonsense guide to writing.
James
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
One of the more useful books about writing. Short, concise, blunt, but still insightful and inspiring.
Michelle
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
I like to read books about writing when I want to get inspired to write. This helped some.
Caitlin
May 23, 2015
Coley
Oct 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ted Kooser lives in rural Nebraska with his wife, Kathleen, and three dogs. He is one of America's most noted poets, having served two terms as U. S. Poet Laureate and, during the second term, he won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry for his collection, DELIGHTS & SHADOWS. He is a retired life insurance executive who now teaches part-time at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. The school board ...more