Start by marking “The F-Word: Feminism in Jeopardy; Women, Politics, and the Future” as Want to Read:
The F-Word: Feminism in Jeopardy; Women, Politics, and the Future

The F-Word: Feminism in Jeopardy; Women, Politics, and the Future

Many young women today consider "feminism" a dirty word, an antiquated term that hasn t expanded to accommodate the diverse needs of a new generation. In addition, decades of negative campaigns, excessively "messaged" issues, and hanging chads have all combined to make political apathy appear not only smart, but sexy. The result is that while they still bemoan the state of ...more
Published August 20th 2004 by Seal Press (first published July 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The F-Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The F-Word

Start your review of The F-Word: Feminism in Jeopardy; Women, Politics, and the Future
Rhiannon
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: rich white ladies who already vote and want to convince others to do so
Allow me to paraphrase part of the book for you: "So, my friend and I were driving in her Prius to go check out the house she just bought with her fiance [don't worry, we can afford things like this - we're in our LATE twenties!]. The radio was tuned to NPR (natch!), and a statistic flies out of the airwaves at us: a lot of marriages end in divorce. My friend gets a panicked look on her face, and I laugh! 'Marriages do end in divorce sometimes,' I say gently. 'But, not upper-middle-class-white f ...more
Theresa Leone Davidson
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Feminism has unfairly taken a beating the past several years; to be a feminist merely means you support political, social, and economic rights for women equal to those of men. A big deal? No. If you have sisters, a mother, and most especially daughters, you should feel that this is only just. However, in the last few years the word 'feminism' has taken on different meanings, none flattering, a point that the author discusses at length. She also writes about how far from a just society we still a ...more
Peacegal
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Why are today’s women so quick to assure everyone that they aren’t feminists? The author explores how “feminism” became the other taboo “F word.” As others have noted, it was rather dry, and the author seemed a little too desperate to please.
Jennifer Triplett
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A good primer on the importance of young female political activism. I just wish it was a more comprehensive history of these issues (and that there was a revised edition, this one was printed in 2004). I feel like it needed more historical grounding to really explain to an uninitiated reader why feminist studies and activism are so important (particularly pre-20th century history). Also, it focuses so much on political activism, it neglects some of the other ways women can, and need to activists ...more
Melissa
Jun 10, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
wow. this book was horrible. the author had the potential to go so many places with the topic and yet she went nowhere.
i gave her a star because she offered up a lot of interesting statistics (which she did nothing with).
she talked down to the readers and even resorted to such cliches as "white picket fences". she also had the audacity to suggest that the child care centres set up during WWII for the working women was "an excellent example of how quickly women can instigate change".
uh. yeah.
John Gentry
Here's the deal with this book; you have to be interested in a lot of statistics. This is because that's what half of this book is. Actually more than half. The formula goes like this: testimony, statistic, author talking about the former. That's everything. While a lot of the statistics are surprising (regarding the actual numbers) you can't really be surprised by the fact they exist. For anyone who wants to be a feminist, or who needs a bit of a crash course in the issues that are in the world ...more
Feb 02, 2008 rated it liked it
the title is much more exciting that the book. it has a great premise but doesn't really deliver. like many gender studies books it is dry and disjointed. No originaly theories to be found.

If you are well read on or only mildly interested in the subject you'll be bored. However, If you are just getting into the subject this is a good book for you.
Melissa
Apr 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
While it took me forever to read this it was very good! There was a lot of information on motherhood and the gender bias therein. Also there was research presented on the inequality growing between different classes and races of women. Most importantly the point of this book was the power that we as women have - if only - we would take the time to VOTE.
Sally
Aug 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feminist-reads
I liked that this book was written in a way that was accessible and easy to understand. I also liked that it tried to cover a lot of areas even in a short length. What I liked best was that there was almost always a call to action of some sort -- a way to get involved, what needed to be done, etc.
Colleen
Jul 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
a very solid book. convincing.
Jena Lacomis
Mar 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm reading this in tandem with "Women Who Run With the Wolves" so I'm getting the best of both worlds...practicality mixed with romanticism...the only way to fully embrace feminism!!
eRin
Apr 23, 2008 rated it liked it
I didn't really learn anything from this book, but I wish I had written it. Great primer on the status of women and feminism today.
Virginia
Mar 04, 2007 rated it did not like it
she doesn't say anything new!
Lauren May
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Women in Politics... quick read!
Emily
Nov 17, 2008 rated it liked it
A bit dated after this last election cycle, but otherwise a really interesting book on the (relatively) current state of modern feminism.
Pjtwacht

• The Night Wanderer
  • Stories for a Lost Child
  • Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls
  • When You Are Engulfed in Flames
  • This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike.
  • So You Want to Talk About Race
  • Listen to Me Good: The Story of an Alabama Midwife (Women & Health C&S Perspective)
  • Until They Bring the Streetcars Back
  • Their Eyes Were Watching God
  • Candide
  • This Is What America Looks Like: My Journey from Refugee to Congresswoman
  • The Inspired Houseplant: Transform Your Home with Indoor Plants from Kokedama to Terrariums and Water Gardens to Edibles
  • Firewater: How Alcohol Is Killing My People (and Yours)
  • Call Your Daughter Home
  • Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World's Greatest Nuclear Disaster
  • The Last Black Unicorn