Start by marking “Southern Bastards, Vol. 2: Gridiron” as Want to Read:
Southern Bastards, Vol. 2: Gridiron

Southern Bastards, Vol. 2: Gridiron

(Southern Bastards - Collected Editions #2)

The hit new crime series SOUTHERN BASTARDS returns for its second volume, as JASON AARON (Scalped, Thor, Star Wars) and JASON LATOUR (Spider-Gwen, Loose Ends) pull back the curtain on the dark and seedy history of Craw County and its most famous and feared resident, the high school football coach turned backwoods crime lord Euless Boss.

Collects SOUTHERN BASTARDS #5-8.
Published May 6th 2015 by Image Comics (first published April 29th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Southern Bastards, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Bastards, Vol. 2

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
On it's own this book would be a three star but combined with the first volume I'm going with a four star. This volume is more builder for hopefully what is to come.

Coach Boss's obsession with football is the back bone to this one. His violent history with his father is told in flashbacks and all he wants to do it prove his daddy proud.

I did miss Earl Tubbs and his big stick in this one but these books are going to take no prisoners or looks like they are not going to leave any alive either.

Sam Quixote
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it
The second Southern Bastards arc, Gridiron, is told mostly in flashback. The main story is more or less frozen while we’re told the secret origins of the villain of the series, Coach Boss, instead of what happened after Earl Tubbs mumblemumble...

When he was a kid, Euless Boss wanted to be a Runnin’ Reb (the local high school football team) more than anything. Unfortunately the Boss family have a rep in Craw County as no-good troublemakers who steal, and Euless’ dad is the worst one. As Euless t
Mike
Son of a motherfucker, does Latour ever grind up his characters into some of the most grizzled, tough-as-oak bastards I've ever not met.

This is tense reading, trying to decide whether to hate or pity the man that is and was Euless Boss. As a boy with the worst possible chances given him by that evil monster called Life, he's a complete sad sack with no reason to even look at him. As a boy so low he'll do whatever weird-ass things it takes to make the team, he's slightly admirable in his misery.
David Schaafsma
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-crime
Well! There were some surprises in this volume! We start by finding out that the thing that we thought Coach Euless Boss did to Earl, the-big-guy-with-the-big-stick, really did happen, which was a surprise to me. Most of the story happens within unsurprising tropes set up in the first volume, but now it takes place mostly in flashback, so we can understand bastard Coach Euless Boss. That the volume is about him, that was surprising to me. He's guy we really see is a bastard, a kind of stereotypi ...more
Diz
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Volume two takes the story in an entirely different direction by focusing on the antagonist of volume one, Coach Boss. Coach Boss is a thoroughly unlikeable person in the first volume, but after reading about how he became coach, he's a bit more sympathetic. He's basically a victim of the society he was born into, and he's doing everything he can to carve out a place for himself in that society.

This book delves deep into the concept of 'white trash'. It's a term I don't like because it basically
Gavin
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Firstly, thanks to NetGalley for the free ARC! I'm happy to give my review in exchange for the chance to have read this.

Following up on the events of Vol. 1, this story focuses on Coach Boss, and how he got to where he is. Cue about every terrible thing that could happen to a kid, and that happened to him as a kid. Deadbeat Dad would be mildly putting it...he only wanted to play football, and through the determination and help of an older Black man, of course, he turns into a demon. But he injur
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Huh. Huh. After the first volume - well, let's just say this turned in a different direction than I expected. Not really sure how I feel about it to be honest.

The way this volume ends, however, is enough of a tease that I know I'll be back for Volume 3.
Jesse A
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This series took a turn I didn't quite expect but its still very well written and fascinating as hell!
Anna
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
So, can't give this five stars. Even though the beginning, when you find out that what you think happened to Earl really DID, is freaking awesome, it's still a story about Euless Boss. His whole rhyme and reason for everything he's ever done has been football. Oh, and also to make his drunk, no-account, abusive father pay attention to him - it's a story that's more than been done before. For a story that's kind of filler, it's definitely worth reading. Now I'm just excited for the next one, to s ...more
11811 (Eleven)
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This volume is cover to cover football. If that's your thing, you'll love it. If not...

I loved the artwork and the storyline but the content was a little overkill on the football. Yeah, that was the whole point but it's also why I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as volume 1. I have nothing against the sport but I don't love it enough to comfortably wade through 100+ pages of graphic novel covering the topic. That said, it was still a pretty damn good story.

One other negative was the absence of th
Jedi JC Daquis
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
What the heck happened? After the solid events that took place in the first volume, this Gridiron book takes an unexpected turn. I won't be spoiling it for you, so let us just say that volume two focuses on the other main character of the series, Coach Boss.

The plot of Gridiron is a flashback story of how Euless Boss gets to be the coach of Craw County's Runnin' Rebs football team. And what can you expect from a Jason Aaron? Of course this backstory gets twisted and very ugly. He may not be as s
Donovan
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it

Hoowee! That's a sequel, there. Coach Boss the empathetic protagonist? Yes, sir. Only person who had it worse than Earl Tubb is maybe Euless Boss. How's that for irony? Funny how Vol. 1 ended with a hint of Roberta Tubb returning from Afghanistan and she's still doing the same thing at the end of Vol. 2. Maybe be Vol. 10 she'll make it back. Helluva job well done here, Jasons. Can't wait for Vol. 3. May just purchase the set eventually.
Victoria  (Two Vloggers More)
(ARC from Netgalley and Publishers for honest review)

I had started this series when I saw the first issue trade paper back in my local comic store. It was from one of my favourite comic publishers in Image Comics, the cover looked interesting and the art work was different to many titles I had seen before. I gave it a try and enjoyed the first chapter in the tale of Craw County and its inhabitants.

This is the second volume, and instead of continuing with the story, most of the volume is told in
Cyndi
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My use of the 5 star here feels warranted by the back story and its germane value to the over all tale. This, citizens, appears to be going as dark as The Scalped series. Waiting impatiently for the next leg of this journey.
James DeSantis
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a better volume than the last. It had a lot of backstory about Coach and Boss, and how they became who they were. The history of these characters is grimy, fucked up, and interesting. Some of it is over the top, and sure I don't believe all the dialog at times, but when it hits...man does it hit. The father moment in the forest was amazing and the end result showed us who Coach is.

I think the negative comes from some of the side characters. I just can't seem to connect. I'm hoping it i
Travis Duke
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A deeper understanding of all the southern bastards is found in volume 2. We get the backstory to Boss and it is damn good. Jason Aaron transitions so well into volume 2 I actually think it is better than vol.1. I'm starting to see Jason had a grand plan from the get go and it is masterful. The whole volume is dedicated to the battered and ugly up history of Boss. His struggle with the football team and his rise to power was really an awesome story arc. Looking forward to vol. 3
Frédéric
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, comics
I liked the first TPB but wasn't sure where the story would go after that. Well, I still don't but I know I'm in for the ride!
As much as i liked Aaron's mainstream stories, I sure missed what he put into Scalped. I don't know if Southern Bastards will rate as high in the long run (5 stars as far as I'm concerned) but it seems to go in the right direction. Can't wait for the next run, podna!
Tom
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Picking up around the time the first volume left off, the series picks up on the backstory of main antagonist Euless Boss. Boss is the winning high school football coach that more or less runs Craw County, Alabama. He's just murdered Earl Tubb, son of the late sheriff, with Tubb's own baseball bat. And now he wants it to be known that not only does he not feel guilty, but he wants no one to forget what he did or the shared guilt of the community that largely stood by and let him get away with it ...more
Roy
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5*

Continues a good story but just didnt feel like it hit the same highs. Some backstory, some new characters arrived. However after the ending of Vol 1 I expected a different plot or direction. It seems the ending of Vol 2 also ends in a similar way. Artwork is cool and has pretty cool red earthy tones which suits the violence.
Sooraya Evans
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Coach Boss... How can one man has his entire grip on an entire town?
Through many series of flashbacks, we get to see how this evil man came to be.
Started of as a nice innocent kid with bucket loads of determination. But people change...
Dan
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kind of a slow start with this one and I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this as much as I did the first volume. You don't have to be a football fan to get into this story. If you like crime dramas, mysterys or gritty dramas you may enjoy this book. Not okay for kids to read. This volume reveals Coach Boss's background history, and how he became the coach.
Estelle
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Not quite as good as the first volume and a bit predictable, but still a compelling read. (Also, wehre are them ribs?)
Coach Boss is a hell of a villain but I couldn't help feeling sorry for him.
Can't wait for "Homecoming", I want to see more of Bert Tubb.
Chris
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where volume 1 dealt with Earl Tubb returning to Craw, Alabama, coming to terms with his past under his deceased father's shadow, volume 2 follows a different path: Euless Boss, now "Coach Boss" of the Runnin' Rebs football team, then a sad-sack linebacker mocked by teammates ("Euless" becomes "Useless"). With the aid of the blind ball boy, Euless becomes a force to be reckoned with in the football field---and his deadbeat dad's schemes pull him into the world of the Dixie Mafia. His rise in the ...more
Jeff Lanter
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
It was a nice surprise to see the backstory of the main villain explored in Southern Bastards in the second volume. While Coach Boss is still extremely unlikable, you at least understand where he is coming from and how he got to be the person he is. There are definitely moments where you pity him too. The end of this volume is especially strong with several surprises and appearance of a character that should mean big things going forward in Southern Bastards. I think this volume (while taking a ...more
Roxanne
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just as awesome as the first volume amazing writing & art, it definitely gets more gritty and you see the depths that Boss goes to, to become the person he is. This volume we learn about Boss and his back story which again very grim, we do learn more about Boss than we did of Earl though. (I wanted to learn about Earl and his Dad, but maybe that comes later on) Boss is an amazing character but lethal he's out for blood and determined as hell, i can't wait to see how his story eventually ends ...more
Maxine Marsh
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it

4.5 stars. Thanks to Netgalley for the book.

I liked the story arc of this volume, which focuses wholly on how Coach Boss became Coach Boss. Lots of football and violence, and somehow from the first volume to the end of the second, we come to understand our villain and his utter attachment to football and the town. The storyline of the first volume is not really relevant to the second volume--until the very end, which reconnects us to the loss of our 'good guy' in volume one. The ending is enough
Andrew
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, crime, image
I enjoyed this as a well-crafted slice of grimy Southern noir, but good God the "Wise Old (Blind!) Black Man Who Helps the White Boy Overcome His Struggles And Doesn't Really Exist As A Character Outside of That" is just an embarrassing trope in 2015. If the Jasons are honest about their stated goal of grappling with all the contradictions and pain of the American south, they need to create Black characters who are more than just props. Looks like that is (maybe) happening in volume 3.
Lono
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
mercedes
Jul 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics, image, library, 1-star
Natalie
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I liked this a heck of a lot more than Volume 1. This was just as gritty - maybe even more so. There's a lot of "football stuff," but you don't need to know squat about football to read this. I like a good story, and this provided that to me. I didn't think I gave a crap about Coach Boss until I was forced to.

I was mad as hell within the first few pages. I was seeing red after reading "His Daddy's says..."Here Was a Man." So I reckon Earl's oughtta say..."Here

• The Fade Out: Act Two
  • Lazarus, Vol. 5: Cull
  • Northlanders, Vol. 7: The Icelandic Trilogy
  • Invisible Republic, Vol. 1
  • Revival, Vol. 3: A Faraway Place
Jason Aaron grew up in a small town in Alabama. His cousin, Gustav Hasford, who wrote the semi-autobiographical novel The Short-Timers, on which the feature film Full Metal Jacket was based, was a large influence on Aaron. Aaron decided he wanted to write comics as a child, and though his father was skeptical when Aaron informed him of this aspiration, his mother took Aaron to drug stores, where h ...more

Southern Bastards - Collected Editions (4 books)
  • Southern Bastards, Vol. 1: Here Was a Man