Start by marking “Siege of Darkness (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #9)” as Want to Read:

Siege of Darkness (Legacy of the Drow #3)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  20,390 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
Let the damned drow come!"

All about me I saw excitement, in the dwarves, in Cattibrie, even in Regis, the halfling known more for preparing for lunch and nap than for war. I felt it, too. That tingling anticipation, that camaraderie that had me and all the others patting each other on the back, offering praises for the simplest of additions to the common defense, and raisi
Mass Market Paperback, 337 pages
Published August 1995 by Wizards of the Coast TSR (first published December 30th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Siege of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Siege of Darkness

Nico
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Maybe the best Drizzt book in the whole series until now. Everything that build up over the last few books comes to its epic conclusion, with a more than 100+ page battle around Mithril Hall.
And I must say the best parts in these books are the short interludes by Drizzt. Truly fantastically written!
Dani
Oct 20, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
I need to take a break from this series for awhile. It's just wearing me thin with the pointlessness of it all.

This book seemed more like two books crammed into one. I really enjoyed the part where magic failed but there was no explanation why. The author also skimmed over things that sort of made me raise an eyebrow like "well that was an easy way out." but I had no answers. Like Catti-brie and her sword. It was just too easy with no explanation behind it.

The second half of the book was a war a
Lisa Dice
This is where in Salvatore's books that he starts to move to many, MANY, MANY scenes of fighting. The focus seems to be on fighting technique... okay... but YAWN. I agree has its place, but although I am rereading his books... Too many fight scenes BORE me. I prefer properly placed fight scenes and more focus on the characters and story. He has some very good points that are now Drittz commentary between chapters and not as interwoven with the characters and story as before. The substance (for m ...more
Fiver
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
I've already commented on this series as a whole, but this book marks a turning point.

By the time the reader has reached this book, the formula is set in stone. Drizzt fights and wins, then fights and wins again. The villain never dies, the supporting characters make brief quips, and nobody but nobody gets one single hint of development as a human character (except for Drizzt, who stopped developing several books ago).

Appropriate for young children, and possibly as a guilty pleasure. Don't get m
Kati
I would say that this was the best book in the Drizzt Do'Urden series so far. I liked all the intrigue and house-wars in Menzoberranzan, especially since Jarlaxle is my favorite character in Salvatore's books. Though in some places, it did feel like the author needed to amass pages, so there were scenes where the characters' thoughts basically ran in circles to add a paragraph here and there. On the other hand, some of the scenes and characters were hilarious, especially the Harpells! Harkle's e ...more
Germancho
Jul 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindled
I found it a little uneven and disjointed, but the Time of Troubles part is pretty cool.
Suz
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, fantasy
There's nothing here to make this one stand out from the others, but it fits the bill if you're looking to spend time in the world and with the characters.
Gwarlim
Love it. It kept me on the edge of madness every time I had to put the book down.
Jessica
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purposely took a very long hiatus from Drizzt and his exploits. It had gotten to where I was annoyed by the major players, and not at all intrigued by the plots. The months that I had between picking up Drizzt books were like a much-needed healing salve, and that salve worked wonders.

Once again, I was reminded why I like Salvatore's writing so much. He includes so much detail, but not so much that your eyes glaze over. He imparts wisdom and frailty into his characters, but not so much wisdom t
P. Aaron Potter
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It is perhaps kindest to label this a 'workmanlike' entry in Salvatore's Drizzt saga. On the one hand, Salvatore tends to work in trilogies with a very consistent pacing: the first volume establishes the particular challenge facing Our Heroes, with promises that this is really The Biggest Threat Ever. The central volume, sadly, Nothing Much Happens. In the concluding volume, Our Heroes kick much booty, often to a ridiculously Mary-Sueish degree, although a few minor characters on the fringes die ...more
Tawnya
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
One of the things I enjoy the most is Drizzt's comments at the beginning of each new part. They are most thought provoking and often insightful. Here are some of my favorites from this book:
Faith is not granted by tangible proof.
If a person needs proof of god's existence, then the very notion of spiritually is diminished into sensuality and we have reduced what is holy into what is logical.
Truth is singular and cannot, by definition, support so many varied, even opposing manifestations.

Who wo
Ashley (Apt Reader)
Dec 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite of the Drizzt Do'Urden books so far. Some of the scenes/passages didn't make sense. For exampe:

1. Errtu only shows up at the beginning and end of the novel. What is he doing in the meantime?
2. What the heck was the "Time of Troubles"? It suddenly appeared, then left without any explanation.
3. Who killed Matron Baenre?
4. Why the longevity of the battle scenes with no explanation of why they're there?
5. Where did this whole fight with Catti-brie's sword come from?

I definately would
Angie
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well... I am giving this book 2 stars only because it was all about battle. I didn't like the battles in Lord of the Rings either. Plus we don't get to spend too much time with the main characters... there were just different battles going on with the minor characters. And I am tired of the Underdark! Let's get into other plots!
Crystal
Feb 06, 2013 rated it liked it
The ending was rather satisfying, but this one wasn't as thrilling to me as the rest of the Drizzt saga. I started reading a few chapters and then lost interest and put it down for several months before finishing it. The story seems to have a slow start, but would be a good read for those who enjoy massive fantasy battles.
Adam
Mar 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
These novels follow the adventures of Drizzt Do’Urden, a dark elf. The main gist of the stories is that Drizzt is awesome and kicks a lot of ass. Open one of these books to a random page, and chances are you’ll read about Drizzt being awesome and kicking ass. Not only does he wield two scimitars in battle, but he has some kind of magic panther as a pet. Awesome.
Gregory
After eight books, you pretty much know what to expect. Yes, there's some minor twists in book nine regarding the enemies but the hero characters all do what is expected. Is this a bad thing? No, if you love the main characters and the odd, functional family they've become then you'll cheer them on and look forward to their heroic moments.
Darren
Started strong and really felt like it dragged on a little during the last 1/3 of the book. As is usual with RAS's style, very strong fight sequences and detail. Also appreciated the nod to the Monster Manual with the cast of foes he draws on.
Jaagup
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Üheksas raamat sarjast ja kirjanik ei näita veel mingeid väsimuse märke. Mis on hea, sest (hetkeseisuga) on 20 raamatut veel. Arvatavasti vähemalt 21, kui ma sinnamaani jõuan.
SundanceAnn
"Normally it pleased Jarlaxle to be in the middle of such a conflict, to be the object of wooing tactics by both sides in dispute. This time, though, Jarlaxle was uneasy with the position" (151).

Rating
4 stars... Without Cattie-Brie it might have been a 5.

Book Series
Book 9 of The Legend of Drizzt series (30+ books).

My Thoughts
I would like to nominate Jarlaxle to MVP (Most Valuable Player) and Cattie-Brie to LVP (Least Valuable Player).

Jarlaxle
We got to see Jarlaxle manuever between allian
Deion Malloy
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brett
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this novel more than the previous few in the drizzt series. Again I feel Salvatore puts too much fighting in his novels which feels repetitive as there are only so many ways to describe a sword fight especially involving the same character, but when he is not focing on Drizzts battle prowess the writing is exemplary.
Jonathan S. Harbour
Aug 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
I give up! Uncle! These books are the same story told over and over with trivial changes made. If you've read the first 6, there's no reason to go further and hear AGAIN about: The Drow, The Do'Urden, Drizzt, Drizzt Do'Urden, The Ranger, The Drow (again? yes), The Drow, Drizzt, The Ranger, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

These books are dreadfully dull. I give up... DNF?
Avralina
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-a-salvatore
Whoa! Lots of exciting things happening in here! Not sure what the description on the Goodreads page means about Catti-brie being absent. As far as I could tell she was right alongside everyone, as usual.
Blaine Padgett
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy this series and this one did not disappoint

Very fast paced and fun. The series continues to be consistent and interesting. Drizzt is a well written and developed character
Mitchell
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The pacing seemed a little off in this one. Still, it's fantasy.
Katherine Moss
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good! Time for another adventure. As usual. Drizzt goes again, chasing after Catti-Brie. Wonder why ...?
Jurgen
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
as audiobook. Maybe it's because of the quality ofbrhe audio, but this part just isnt as captivating as the first two trilogies...
Karlito
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The epic ending of some key characters, but the unfolding of a new series of events!
Armando
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Radu Chirovici
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the really good Drizzt novels. Good pace, focus lies on other characters for once.
Synopsis 1 8 Aug 20, 2012 04:40PM
  • Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #5)
  • Daughter of the Drow (Starlight & Shadows #1)
  • Insurrection (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #2)
  • Resurrection (Forgotten Realms:  War of the Spider Queen, #6)
  • Condemnation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #3)
  • Tantras (Forgotten Relalms: Avatar #2)
  • Extinction (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #4)
  • Prince of Lies (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #4)
  • Song Of The Saurials (Forgotten Realms: Finder's Stone, #3)
  • Dissolution (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #1)
  • Annihilation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #5)
  • Shadows of Doom (Forgotten Realms: Shadow of the Avatar, #1)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more
More about R.A. Salvatore

Legacy of the Drow (4 books)
  • The Legacy (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #7)
  • Starless Night (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #8)
  • Passage to Dawn (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #4; Legend of Drizzt, #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater
  • Ruined
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Exo (Exo #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Nosferatu (Area 51, #8)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After, #10.5)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic #1)
  • Slaughterhouse-Five
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Oddfits
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Imago (Xenogenesis, #3)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
“But what of faith? What of fidelity and loyalty? Complete trust? Faith is not granted by tangible proof. It comes from the heart and the soul. If a person needs proof of god's existence, then the very notion of spirituality is diminished into sensuality and we have reduced what is holy into what is logical.-Drizzt Do'urden” 40 likes
“A sense of accomplishment. It is the most important ingredient in any rational being's formula of happiness. It is the element that builds confidence and allows us to go on to other, greater tasks. It is the item that promotes a sense of self-worth, that allows any person to believe there is value in life itself, that gives a sense of purpose to bolster us as we face life's unanswerable questions.” 8 likes