Start by marking “Christmas Eve, 1914” as Want to Read:

Christmas Eve, 1914

In 1914, the war which was to have been wrapped up by Christmas had - in reality - only just begun, as all sides entrenched themselves deeper into the Great War. Christmas Eve, 1914 follows one company of British officers as they rotate forward to spend their Christmas on the front lines, a mere 80 yards from the German guns. Upper- and working-class men and boys are throw ...more
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 2 pages
Published December 16th 2014 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Eve, 1914, please sign up.
Kelly Eaton That depends on what you mean by "good". It captured my attention for the whole hour, immersing me in the experience. By the end of it I had poignant …moreThat depends on what you mean by "good". It captured my attention for the whole hour, immersing me in the experience. By the end of it I had poignant thoughts on manly virtues and the nature of war, along with our inherent sameness, even with those we may call "enemy". It was emotional and inspiring, bringing tears to my eyes for multiple reasons.(less)

Start your review of Christmas Eve, 1914
Diane S ☔
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 An audible original, one of two freebies a month, and a perfect reminder of the strength of Christmas and its memories. Men in dugouts, dirty, wet, filthy, lined up across a no mans land littered with bodies of both sides. On the other side of this body dtrewn field, the Germans, all waiting to see who will strike next. They had names for their various dugouts, for some reason the one that stuck with me was called, Lavender Lane. Such a strange name, just didn't seem to fit, but maybe that w ...more
Iris P
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in WWI History
Christmas Eve, 1914

"Maybe war takes a holiday today"
From the Audio drama Christmas Eve, 1914

***********************************************
Even if one accepts the notion that war is sometimes a necessary evil, the image of soldiers engaged in warfare on Christmas, all of days, is heartbreaking and disconcerting.

I listened to this very moving audio drama while cooking our Christmas dinner yesterday. It's a fictional account of what has come to be known as the Christmas Truce of 1914.

The high qual
Erin
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
One of my Audible Originals for the month of December, this literary performance takes us back to that first Christmas during WWI. A veteran composes a letter to the mother of a solider that he has never forgotten. In it, he relates the atmosphere in Belgium and the united comradeship of the men he served with. At times, I busted out with laughter at the conversations between the men and I shed a tear or two in the end. A heartwarming Christmas story in the midst of a horrific war.
* A Reader Obsessed *
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, not-mm, z-2019
A fitting audio production that shows the spirit of Christmas can bring together enemies if for just one night, that war hasn’t defeated honor nor humanity despite how hard it tries.
Cori
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
My eyes aren't sweating. Yours are.

This was a moving Audible original, one of two free selections for December . The story begins as a letter being written to the mother of a deceased WWI soldier. The narrative evolves into a radio theater production of Christmas Eve, 1914, where the opposing armies called a cease-fire, crossed the no-man's-land, and celebrated Christmas together.

My one complaint which ultimately dropped the rating a star was the quality. In terms of radio theater productions,
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Review to come tonight. This was an enjoyable read with a solid cast of voice actors.

Image result for christmas eve 1914
Jen
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This audio performance is just stellar. It's done by a full cast and completely puts you right in the center of the story.

The story is one that happened during WWI, when the Germans and Allies put down their guns for a day and celebrated Christmas together. A remarkable thing. It is an epistolary novella and quite poignant.
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, own, wwi
Audiobook #235

Don't mind me! I'm just going to be curled up over here in the corner with this box of Kleenex and my blanket
Deb✨
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Maybe war takes a holiday today."

I listened to this audible freebie novella while I was wrapping some gifts. It was very touching to listen to and well done.
Christine
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This Audible freebie is set during the Christmas Truce in WW I. It is rather powerful and wonderfully acted.

BTW - Audible gives the bestest presents. (Yes, I know bestest isn't really a word, but when you get an English degree, you also get the power to make up words).
Karen’s Library
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of those books that really touched my heart! I listened to this on Audible and it was performed by a full cast with all the sound effects including a beautiful Xmas song. Well done!
Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ...
Break out the Kleenex; you will find your eyes filling with tears. The story was not new to me, but it didn't matter. My heart was touched and it made me think about how we humans can touch one another. We can fight a war for the worst of reasons, and we can lay down our weapons and bury our dead for the best of reasons. This will be a Christmas tradition for me from now on.
Rafael
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful story, one of my audible originals of the month, a take on the hard psychological horror that the war gives to young brave soldiers, tiered, living among mud and snow on an uncertain Christmas night in the middle of the battlefield. Really liked it great voice acting, highly recommend it.
Cindy Rollins
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks, 2018
This was a short, free Audible giveaway which I thoroughly enjoyed. It put a touching, realistic story to the well-known Christmas Eve episode of 1914.
Samantha
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wwi, nonfiction, audiobook
This is a brief, heart-touching story of the WWI Christmas truce. Through the young men of one company, one hears about the incompetence that worked its way from the top down and how men's lives were sometimes wasted as a result. In its dramatic format, this book allows the listener to feel the frustration of nonsensical orders that could send a man to his death, the fear of the next barrage, and the wonder of the proposed truce.

Told through a letter/flashback, this free Audible production bring
Dem
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: war
. 3.5
Yodamom
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
“This short book is about a letter written to a mother years after her son was lost during the war on Christmas Eve. The story relives the day, the sounds the fear and the heartbreaking moment when monsters became human again.
Beautifully done, with many voices, sound effects, and perfect timing. It felt as if I had be transferred to this terrible time and was sitting on the cold ground with them. A reminder of what Christmas and humanity really is.
Nancy
Dec 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Wow, this is dreadful. Totally lacking in verisimilitude. It was free, but I can't get the time back I wasted before I pulled the plug.
Mahlon
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Did not capture my interest at all, which is a shame considering the subject matter. It was just too cluttered and noisy for me, should've been much better.
Libby
The Christmas Truce of 1914 occurred early on in the war, only 5 months after it began on July 28th. It has become famous because it was so widespread among troops of both sides. I listened to this story on Audible Originals. It is a truly heartwarming Christmas story and shows how we all belong to the same family (human), and how bickering and differences (unto death) can be put aside to remember the best of us (our warmth, love, and ability to put aside our differences). A screaming proclamati ...more
ChopinFC
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
This was a rather lackadaisical entry in the genre of WWI stories. I listened via audiobook, and it was a 'dramatization' voice-over acting, with 'battle sounds', 'sound effects of soldiers dying', etc... The production value appeared decent, but the story was short, more like a 'novella', with very poor exposition of the event and its characters. The story itself was very popular known as The Christmas truce (German: Weihnachtsfrieden; French: Trêve de Noël) was a series of widespread but unoff ...more
Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos
A sentimental and schmaltzy story. It dramatizes an actual event from World War I where the German and British troops called a personal cease fire for Christmas and engage in acts of kindness and carol singing across "no man's land". The actual event is very compelling. This story was not. It is populated by stock characters going through the motions established for them from a hundred war stories, books, and movies. It is one cliche after another. The dialogue must have nearly written itself. T ...more
Linda
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Set during World War 1 this was a great novella. Hope which is what Christmas is all about is found in this story. The narration and sound effects were excellent, taking you to the front lines. Thank you Audible for a beautiful Christmas story! I love the monthly freebies.
Charlsa
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Maybe war takes a holiday today". Set in WWI, when the Germans and Allies put down their guns for a day and celebrated Christmas together. It is based on a true event that occurred in 1914 and has been chronicled multiple times over the years. The Audible performance is stellar and reminds us that even in the midst of tragedy, a miracle can occur.
B.A. Wilson
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an audible freebie, and as a performance, it was excellent and heartfelt. It quickly captured the setting and the emotions of war, which made the story a success. It definitely has a feel good element, which can be hard to find in war stories.

Pages: 60
David
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: world-war-i
4.5
This is such a great short story that brings to the reader a fictionalized account of one of the best war stories of all time. The story of when for a brief moment humanity was able to surface in the most inhuman of circumstances. This story would be perfect for so many of my students.
Susan
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a nice, little audio drama. I love this story so I was a little surprised that most of the story wasn’t even about the truce. But I really enjoyed this one.
Jacqueline
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
“The impossible, made possible, through grace”
Sophia
I was already familiar with the outline of this story as we have a Bavarian German community just north of where I live and they have a Silent Night Christmas Chapel where one can read the details of this story. I found the author's story made the facts come to life and made the event very real on a personal level.

The blend of epistolic and narrative methods to tell the story worked well. The dramatic effects and the inclusion of multiple narrators really added depth and heart to the story. The
Ambs ❤❤
This was a short, inspiring story.

I wanted to listen to this and have my hope in humanity and my Christmas spirit restored. I now have hope.

This holiday season I've been discouraged by all the negativity and selfishness showed on the media - people are a nasty bunch. However, this story just proves that if we set aside our differences, push for a little peace on earth, we can achieve a happiness like no other.

Yes, I listened to this story rather than read it, but it was dramatized, and really

• The Christmas Hirelings
  • Killer by Nature
  • Harry Clarke
  • Elizabeth II: Life of a Monarch
  • Atomic Marriage
  • Zero G (The Zero Chronicles #1)
  • Dodge & Twist: A Sequel To Oliver Twist