Jump to ratings and reviews

Curse Me Not

Appalachian unsophisticate Elzetta Swan has gained a rare ability considered very lucrative in her reality: she can see people’s auras and clean revenge curses off those auras. Embracing the gift faster than grass through a goose, she’s about to finish her first year as a licensed "bodywasher" in Knoxville, Tennessee, with a countrified inner child that’s skipping all the way to the bank.

Suddenly a routine aura cleansing turns ugly. Elzetta suspects a professional invoker has come to town—one who’s hooked on the rush of setting particularly nasty curses. If that wasn’t bad enough, the invoker may be visiting at the invitation of a mysterious local with a malicious hard-on for revenge.

Well-intentioned but often out of her depth, Elzetta attempts to track down the culprits. In doing so, she ends up facing threats to both her trendy new life and the hallelujah hankering she’s formed for a reluctant—and way too sexy—urban white knight who’s crossed her path. Will the confrontations create in Elzetta a vengeful rage all her own?

260 pages, Paperback

First published December 1, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Elizabeth Fisher

1 book61 followers
Elizabeth Fisher lives in east Tennessee and has deep Appalachian roots that involve all the usual elements—moonshine stills, horse thieving ancestors and rumors of illicit banjo pickin’. Fortunately, due to her father’s less felonious North Carolina heritage, Fisher makes an honest living as a freelance writer, editor and graphic designer. In her spare time, she reads, hikes and attempts to oil paint. She believes she’s making great strides in creatively incorporating the errant hairs of her cats—Buck and Bozo—into her still lifes. Her loving husband, Tim, is not so sure.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (6%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews
Profile Image for Melissa.
579 reviews7 followers
July 8, 2015
Elzetta Swan is a bodywasher. What is a bodywasher, you ask? It's a person who is able to see auras and cleanse them from nasty curses. This type of character is completely unique to me, and I really enjoyed it! The book starts with Elzetta cleansing a curse on a dog trainer that did a customer wrong. This opens up the can of worms of can anyone be cursed? The short answer is yes, but curses can only be cast as an act of revenge. It can be the littlest thing that constitutes revenge though and the invokers that cast the curses don't care as long as they're getting paid. It's highly illegal, but there is a need for bodywashers since people aren't in their right minds when seeking revenge.

On another job, Elzetta is trying to cleanse a curse and realizes what should have been a minor curse is a major one. This is bad since it means a big bad invoker or one that is hooked on the thrill of casting curses is in town and could reek havoc in the city. Elzetta enlists the help of a hunky police officer in effort to track down the bad guy, before a lot of innocent people get hurt.

Curse Me Not was a really refreshing novel. I've been reading Urban Fantasy for awhile now and have never come across anything like this. I really enjoyed Curse Me Not and suggest it if you're looking for a Urban Fantasy you won't want to put down.
Profile Image for Sheri.
1,922 reviews
July 5, 2015
Curse me Not by Elizabeth Fisher

Elzetta Swan is a "bodywasher", she can cleanse revenge curses off peoples auras. Then a routine cleansing turns bad and she feels that it is the work of a Invoker. It appears that the Invoker was called upon by one of the locals for revenge. So Elzetta takes on a bit more than she bargained for when she tries to help the cured one. Will Elzetta be able to hep, or will she be dragged down into something she doesn't want to become.

A very original story. I loved the theme of an Aura cleanser. Elzetta is very fascinating, and her ability as well. She has nothing but good intentions. Well written with vivid details and dialog you feel as if you are part of the story. The characters are colorful, unique, some quirky and most are likable in their own ways.

There are also some who are not so likable, and out right bad people. There is a great balance or humor, fun situations, serious situations, danger, intrigue and a splash of romance. I definitely recommend Curse Me Not to those who like an original, paranormal/romance. I also loved the over, very intriguing and fitting to the story.
Profile Image for Andretta Schellinger.
Author 3 books42 followers
February 23, 2016
*Full Review will be posted on February 28 at Fangfreakintasticreviews.com

Curse me not sounded like a witchy book, or maybe zombie, who knows. What I was not expecting was a post menopausal woman who can cleanse auras. While I was not expecting it, it is really a cool idea, which is why it found its way to our month of bloody good reviews. Shush don't tell the author yet, I am hoping it will be a surprise. :).

I don't look at covers very often, because I read on ebook, and the covers usually are small and I don't pay that much attention to them. Usually. This book's cover actually called to me, it said "read me, please?" It is not aggressive but it tells the story in a unique and beautiful way. Okay and maybe some of my family are from Armenia and are Gypsies. Anyways, overall this book deserves the 5 fang rating for not just the voice that the author imparts into the story, but, also the story itself.
Profile Image for Laurie.
617 reviews129 followers
March 6, 2015
What a unique and utterly fascinating story I found this to be! I loved it, and was pleasantly surprised that Elzetta’s gift materialized with early menopause instead of puberty or early adulthood as most often happens in urban fantasies. I found the whole concept of bodywashers interesting. The descriptions of auras and how curses set a blight upon them just enthralled me.

The best part for me besides the undeniable chemistry between Elzetta and Caleb McGrath was the often understated humor that was sprinkled liberally throughout. Elzetta is a strong, independent-minded woman with a lot of compassion for others. This was a fun read that fully captured my imagination!

This book was given to me in exchange for my honest review.

Reviewed by Laurie-J

636 reviews5 followers
January 10, 2016
It was refreshing to read a paranormal romance that didn't have a teen or young twenty something as the lead female. Cal was a bit frustrating with his flippy floppy behavior until you get the whole story and understand why. Elzetta is a strong character who has already experienced a bit of life yet isn't full of herself because of it. The whole bodywashing thing in the story made it a fun interesting read. There is a bit of doom and gloom with the touching on the evil side. All in all a very good story. I was given this story for an honest review and this is mine.

240 reviews
December 1, 2017
I received a copy of Curse Me Not by Elizabeth Fisher from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I found the summary for this novel to be very intriguing, and although the execution was not completely polished, it was still an enjoyable read.
Profile Image for Amy Shannon.
Author 98 books117 followers
May 26, 2016
Definitely engaging!

A great paranormal book that is definitely original. I really liked this book as the characters were relatable and I could connect with them. It was an interesting take on a detective book with the paranormal twist, and add in a little bit of romance. Drama. Yes, if you want a good story, you need drama. Filled with wit and charm, there may be too much descriptions in some cases, but that's my own opinion. Quiet enjoyable.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.