Start by marking “Breathe (Devastation, #1)” as Want to Read:
Breathe (Devastation, #1)

Breathe (Devastation #1)

4.51  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The summer after graduation, Lexa falls for Gabe, but can she trust her new love with the secret of a lifetime?

Secrets rule Lexa's life. After her move to Texas for college, she develops feelings for her life-long friend. But Gabe’s gone emotionally bi-polar, ice cold one minute, nuclear the next, and Lexa’s not even sure he's her friend anymore. As she struggles to regain
Published January 2nd 2015 by Kelley Harvey

To ask other readers questions about Breathe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breathe

L.L. Reynolds
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first sci-fi romance book I have ever read, and I tell you honestly, I'm not usually a fan of steamy romance novels, but I'm making an exception for this book! (I realize many people enjoy having their knickers set on fire on a regular basis, but I'm just not that kind of girl.) That being said, I love anything to do with sci-fi or fantasy and anything to do with wings, so I began the read last night. (I don't think it will spoil the story to tell you that Lexa, Gabe and Nate discove ...more
Terri Williams
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First off, this book AMAZED me and honestly this isn't my normal type of book solely based on length. I am a very emotional reader and it normally takes me at least 250+ pages to get an emotional attachment to characters, with this being slightly shorter I was not expecting the emotional connection so early on but GEEZE....I was hooked!

Kelley does a wonderful job of creating history, attachment and support between the characters that is both believable and endearing without being overly pushed o
Kelly Haas Shackelford
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My type of kick-butt, smart -mouthed, smart female character! If you like reading about a barbie-wanna-be...this book is not for you. If you want a deep character that can think for herself, makes mistakes, and loves and is hurt deeply....well then Breathe is your next can't-put-down read!
B.A. Wilson
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story and will definitely be reading the next one. In fact, the longer I read, the more addicted I became.

The writing style is unique in a way that had me initially analyzing every sentence and paragraph, but I will confess that as I writer, I sometimes do that. I always wanted to keep reading forward, but I probably read about 10-15% before I let all the overthinking fall away and just buried myself in the story. If I hadn't started it after midnight, I would have read it straig
Karla Pierce
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Breathe, is a must read, especially since Break will release soon. There is heartache, mystery, love, fear, suspense, action, and some VERY well written for adults only content. Kelley, does a fabulous job in book 1 of building our connections to the characters in a way that they quickly seam like family or friends we've known forever. It was easy to imagine being in the story with them, being one of them. Lexa is the strong-willed young lady in all of us. Gabe is the protective guy who makes us ...more
Terri Sullivan
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really wish there were more stars than just 5 to choose from. BREATHE: Episode 1 of The Devastation Series was worthy of many more stars. Kelley Harvey did an incredible job bringing her characters to life. It wasn't like there were just words on a page, but I was actually part of the story myself.

You meet Gabe and Lexa, who have been friends since they were young children. Planning on going to college and rooming together, they are very excited for the future. Then tragedy strikes. Secrets be
Laura Maisano
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Breathe is the story of Lexa and Gabe, childhood friends who come back together to see they've grown up, though not apart. I loved, LOVED, the friends turned lovers dynamic of their story. They had realistic fears of losing their friendship which made the tension a delight to read. The interesting twist on their fate, is that they're half-alien hybrids with huge bird/angel wings. The backstory about their alien heritage and how they got there is a quick explanation, not very deep world-building, ...more
Kris Mehigan
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Harvey writes electric scenes. They are vivid in their imagery, with characters who jump off the page (pun intended)and tension that just doesn't quit.

Take a trio of 18-year old human-angels (my term, not Harvey's) who each suffered the recent loss of their dads before they could learn about their other-worldly origin. Add a mysterious hunter, a SERIOUS dose of raging hormones, and sprinkle liberally with angst and teen drama. Mix and simmer in a sizzling hot Texas summer and you've got the mak
Jennifer Jura
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ok. Going to be honest here. I was very Leary of reading this book. Not my cuppa tea at all. Not into the "sci-fi" or "fantasy" books but thought WTH?!?

This blew my expectations out of the water! I never expected to get so wrapped up into the story! I loved the fact the author added the fantasy element but also kept it very real. There is such a beautiful relationship between them! There is a tension that is unbelievable. Sexual tension, tension of secrets being hid. I am left wanting more!!

Th
LRetan
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a long-time reader science fiction/fantasy and an occasional romance reader, I found this mostly a very sweet romance with just a touch of science fiction.

Told in dual, alternating points of view, I fell in love with both Lexa and Gabe. The two of them are so sweet and so confused that I couldn't help sympathizing with their plight. Then Nathaniel entered the picture. Once I started, it was all but impossible for me to stop.

The ending is a cliffhanger but the sequel, BREAK, is already out. Yo
DeMichelle Marburger
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was not expecting this book to suck me in so quickly. I intended to enjoy 30 minutes of leisurely reading and then get on with my day fitting some reading time in over the next few weeks when I could. Did not happen. I could not put it down. The author uses the perspective of the two main characters to take you through the story, connect you to the characters, and make you feel. I was beyond upset when it ended but the cliff hanger the story ends on is absolutely nerve racking.
Brian Pierce
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read, could hardly put it down. The only bad thing about this book is having to wait on the next episode. Kelly Harvey sucks you into the pages and her characters lives and doesn't let you go until the very end. What's going to happen to Lexa, Gabe and Nathaniel? I guess I'll have to wait until episode 2. I highly recommend this must read book.
Ashley
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED Breathe!! It is a Sci-Fi romance that sucks you in from the beginning and makes you want to know more about Lexa, Gabe and Nate. It took me on a roller coaster ride of emotions. I know I will be the first in line to purchase the next book!!
Kendra
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! I read it in one night. I did not want to put it down . As soon as I started reading it I got sucked into it. I am not a fan of alien books usually but this is defiantly an exception! I cannot wait to see what Kelley Harvey has in store for us next!
Deseree
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
LOVE IT!!! This is amazing. Hybrid Aliens, love triangles, sexy men, oh my! It ends on a MAJOR cliffhanger but episode 2 is supposed to be out at the end of the month. Hopefully, we get some answers to the questions left over as well.
Faith Ann
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
love the book. Kept my attention did not want to put down.
Christina
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading this book, and I loved it. So excited to get my hands on the next one! :)
Arcoma Gonzalez Lambert
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very compelling

I loved the story and now I need more and more. Thankfully I have the series to keep learning about these characters.
Amy H
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved this story! Fabulous pacing, intriguing plot & authentic characters kept me hooked ‘til the end. Ready for the next one!
Andrea Heltsley
This was a really fun read! I loved the concept, it was unexpected.

The story revolves around Gabe, Lexa, and Nate. There are plenty of surprises in the plot. Once I started reading it, I found it hard to put down. Yep, it was really good.

I like how there is a really great love story, with another guy trying to weasel his way in. What I liked about this, was the other guy, Nate, was a good guy too.

There is a mystery surrounding a series of events that has yet to be explained. Then, that ending!
Sylve
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book i have read for this author. After reading this i would say that i am a HUGE fan already! I am a lover of romance and scifi and this had the perfect combination of both! I would/will recommend this to anyone who has a love for both genres. It was both an emotional and compelling story that i could not stop reading. I love that this series has the point of view of both main characters, Gabe and Lexa. I was hooked right from the start and finished the book in a day and a hal ...more
Mindy
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book,

Its hard being a teenager and dealing with those normal circumstances but add being a human/alien with wings on top of it all that comes with that. It makes for a wonderful story.
The characters emotions, feelings, struggles, love, happiness they all jump off the pages and leave you wanting to know more about them and delve deeper into their lives.
This book is not a stand alone and it will leave you wanting to read the next book!!!!!!!!
Jamie
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Breathe.

Let me start off by saying, syfy is NOT my genre. But, I was pleasantly surprised by Breathe.
Lexa reminded me of a lost little girl. Someone that isn't sure of herself. Tragedy strikes, she has to move across the country to her childhood best friends house. Things become tense, confusing and scary for Lexa. Will Lex get over her fears or will she become lost in the two gorgeous creatures in front of her...
Stephanie- The Boyfriend Bookmark
They have been friends since diapers. They have know each other even longer. But now that they are older and coming into their own as adults, feelings shift, they are growing. But the attraction is there and it is real. But both have secrets that the other doesn’t know. Gabe doesn’t know how to tell Lexa, Lexa doesn’t know how to tell anyone.

Both born from the same kind of people, everything will change. But most of all the undeniable chemistry is hard to avoid and even harder to let go of. Gabe
Sara Smolarek
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lexa and Gabe have known each other their entire lives, having parents that were best friends. One day both their fathers leave for an annual week-long fishing trip, and disappear off the face of the earth. The summer before Lexa and Gabe leave for college, she and her mom move cross-country to live next door to Gabe, his mom, and little brother, Carson.

As often happens to young adults in real life, that first summer of real adulthood brings surprises, trials and tribulations, and new friends a
Wendi Hunsicker
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a first time sci-fi reader I have to say that I am pretty impressed with this book. I was hesitant at first but went on and read it. I am glad that I did.
The storyline was impressive about 2 teenage kids, Gabe and Lexa, growing up together their whole lives and having secrets held back about what their true heritage was. They also started having feelings for each other after Lexa and her mom decided to move from Kentucky to Texas to be with Gabes family. They move to Texas because a group of
Danyca
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Can I just start off saying WOW this book is unbelievable. The characters are so life like and have personalities that I love, it was like meeting new friends. My heart breaks for Lexa, Gabe and Nathaniel for what they had to go through but I smile at the new relationships that blossom. The story is fast paced and I had a very hard time putting it down. I was sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for what next monumental thing to occur. The author writes with such amazing talent I am blown away ...more
Kat Loves
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My heart is still pounds as I write this review. This book is just so amazing and breath taking! This is the 2nd book of Kelley's I've read and now I'm on a mission to read everything she has done.

This is not your normal romance book. It's a paranormal romance series about 3 teens who are all the same. They all discover their abilities within months of each other and all of them have lost their fathers at sea in the same boat.

Lexa is the youngest and the only girl in the group. Her and Gabe ha
Jessica Mitchell
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Finding out your different from everything and person around you know. Cab really put a damper on your self esteem. No matter if your a boy or girl.
That is how Lex feels when she discovers she is quite different and feels like a freak because of what she has. Not to mention some weird monster outside her window....unknown to her, on Earth she is not the only one.
Gabe her childhood friend, has been waiting to tell her his secret for sometime now. Never knowing when's a good to do so. Until Twis
Reva Coomer
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
New to me...

I was not much on Sci-Fi....didn't really get it. But I love to read and will read just about anything. I read another book by this author and was hooked so I knew I was going to read this series. I still wasn't sure how I was going to like it...but by 6% in....I was a goner. Now with that out of the way....WOW! A must read. The characters are great and the story is out of this world!
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Jaded Touch (Vesper, #2)
  • Writing Scary Scenes
  • A Very Grey Christmas (Kissing Eden, #3)
  • Never Stopped Loving You (Bella Warren, #1)
  • Conjure (Tethered, #2)
  • Charmed in Vegas Boxed Set
  • How to Ditch Dead Guys (Witch's Handbook Series 2)
  • Soul Surrender (Soul Stripper, #3)
  • Passion Bites (Biting Love Series)
  • Bite Me, I'm Yours (Bitten by Love, #2)
  • Crux (Aurora Lockette, #2)
  • On The Prowl (Jagged Lovers, #1)
  • Midnight Blood (Born Immortal, #1)
  • Beguiling Trickery
  • Forgotten Promise (Between Worlds #4)
  • A Royal Craving (The Royal Series #1)
  • Lover, Divine (Mythos: Gods & Lovers #1)
  • Rum Punch Regrets
Kelley is a bestselling author of mega-steamy, panty-melting romances that feature passionate heroines, sexy heroes, and all the adorable, sexy, and clumsy misadventures that lead to love. While some stories may have darker threads, hope always prevails.

Kelley is also the mother of two beautiful girls. She lives in North Central Texas with her youngest. Her eldest lives nearby, and recently had he
More about Kelley Harvey

Devastation (3 books)
  • Break (Devastation, #2)
  • Bleed (Devastation, #3)