Start by marking “Zen at Work” as Want to Read:
Zen at Work

Zen at Work

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  39 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
A Zen teacher who balanced his commitment to Zen practice with a high-level business career shares the wisdom and practical experience he gained by integrating spiritual practice into the workplace. 192 pp. National publicity. 10,000 print.
Published January 28th 1997 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Zen at Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zen at Work

Tommy /|\
Dec 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
Not exactly an awe-inspiring book. While Kaye certainly has an interesting tale to relate, his manner of expounding upon his travels and his own philosophy is sadly short. If you're interested in the philosophy of Zen and the aspects of its practice -- this isn't the book for you. if you're interested in how someone else has utilized the practice of Zen in their daily life -- this book SHOULD HAVE BEEN the one you picked up, if it had been written with a bit more depth and passion.
Jon
Aug 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great book about an IBM executive who lived a double life as a Zen monk. What it showed was that it is possible to balance the lifestyle of earning a living and providing for your family while dedicating another part of your life to spiritual concerns. Also, many simlarities are pointed out between corporate America and Zen-based philosophies, giving the reader a sense that these two milieus are not mutually exclusive.
Abhishek
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book helped me sort through many of the confusions between spirituality and work life. It helped me discover the inherent harmony in not just these two but many aspects of life. I am grateful that the author cared to pen his experiences and insights in an easy to read and follow fashion.
Lydia
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Les Kaye was/is a managing engineer at IBM San Jose Research Lab as well as the Abbot of the Kannon Do Zen Center in Mountain View, CA. Kaye’s teacher was Shunryu Suzuki who founded the San Francisco Zen Center, and is known for bringing Zen Buddhism to America in the 1960s. It is amazing that Zen Buddhism has only been in the U.S. for one generation while is has been a dominant religion in Asia since 4th century B.C.E. We tend to think of zen monks as being reclusive, but Kaye is not and he doe ...more
Arun
Feb 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Good book...but like one other reader said..not something I was expecting from this book. I expected it to be something
Like 'Don't sweat the small stuff at work' kind, but interlaced with zen thoughts. I finished the book, but felt like not much got through to me. But it does mention that we shouldn't cling to any expectations and just let it be. So in that sense I guess I'll let it be.
Alan
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
IBM as a platform for hauling water and wood. Very thoughtful, with a tone of reasonableness and respect.
J. DaRocha
rated it did not like it
Sep 06, 2014