Start by marking “The Mirror of Zen: The Classic Guide to Buddhist Practice” as Want to Read:
The Mirror of Zen: The Classic Guide to Buddhist Practice

The Mirror of Zen: The Classic Guide to Buddhist Practice

The sacred radiance of our original nature never darkens.
It has shined forth since beginningless time.
Do you wish to enter the gate that leads to this?
Simply do not give rise to conceptual thinking.

Zen Master So Sahn (1520-1604) is a towering figure in the history of Korean Zen. In this treasure-text, he presents in simple yet beautiful language the core principles and tea
Published December 12th 2006 by Shambhala (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Mirror of Zen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mirror of Zen

R. August
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book in short easily digested sections covering a wide range of topics. While some speak directly to begging monks, most of the sections can be applied to the lay person's daily life. I'd recommend skipping the English addition preface unless you want to see how pride and arrogance can still be dominant personality traits in a high ranking monk even after decades of practice.
Jim
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring read that provokes thought.

As the Buddha said: "My doctrine implies thinking of that which is beyond thought, performing that which is beyond performance, speaking of that which is beyond words and practicing that which is beyond practice." - Sutra of 42 Sections

The words put into practice.

-Jim
Nawfal
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: asian, buddha, religion
This is a short text (157 pages including preface and endnotes). The body of the text is 86 short paragraphs (some only a sentence, rarely more than 4 sentences) of "advice" drawn from a variety of sources. Each short paragraph is numbered on its own page and usually comes with commentary and a gatha. Do not think of these snippets as some sort of truncated "quote" book or cutesy anecdote anthology.

Of the 86 items, I think probably ten are somewhat superficial. Five are probably throw-away (the
Garrett
May 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on
I think this book is more for zen meditation Buddhist, not so much for casual reading. I tried.
emm
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Three stars because I do not meditate and I am not a Buddhist, but there were many interesting quotes that I will take from this.
David Peirce
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked this book and am enjoying reading the Korean Zen masters. There is a simplicity, directness, and lack of pretension to the Korean style. This book is a translation of Master So Sahn's (1520-1604) verse on the core teachings of Zen with commentary by a Korean monk, Boep Joeng.

There are the pithy Zen sayings that function as a finger pointing to the moon, such as: "The essence of things is just like this: If even one thought appears, that is already a mistake." (ch 4)

But there is also a c
John
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was very easy to read. Each chapter starts with a small verse/quote from elsewhere with a few paragraphs of commentary.

As you would expect from a book on Zen, The words are few and very direct. Pointing to a meaning instead of endlessly explaining it. Using words is already taking a step away from any truth it's trying to convey. The book is self-aware in that. Use it for inspiration, but look inside for the true teaching.

Overall, I enjoyed this light, airy book that leaves more to be
Rick Eyre
rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2013
Duncan Campbell
Dec 16, 2016
Ata A
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
An easy Korean zen masterpiece that can help the novice and the master walk through the wisdom of the Buddhist sages!
Samuel