Start by marking “The Manga Bible: From Genesis to Revelation” as Want to Read:
The Manga Bible: From Genesis to Revelation

The Manga Bible: From Genesis to Revelation

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  196 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
The creation of the earth The rise and fall of God's chosen people The mysterious stranger who brought about a new world order And the ultimate showdown between the forces of good and evil This is the greatest story ever told . . . as you've never seen it before. Containing both Old and New Testaments, this is the first ever English manga of the most important book of all ...more
Published January 15th 2008 by WaterBrook

To ask other readers questions about The Manga Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manga Bible

Monty
Mar 06, 2008 rated it liked it
The Manga Bible was a quick read, of course. It covers selected sections of both the Old and New Testaments. It is truely amazing how much violence is in the Bible and how well it lends itself to the manga format. The book basically follows what the Bible says but does it in a more down to earth way. It was refreshing to read the stories without the stilted words that are in most Bibles. The art work brought the stories more to life.
Jody Mena
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Wow, they actually managed to make the Bible entertaining... it's a miracle! Ha! Seriously though, I was pleasantly surprised. The drawing style was a little rougher than I'm used to, but still very pretty. I like how the story was laid out, especially having Genesis as a story being told by Moses to the children, that was a very creative idea. The anachronistic dialogue and characterizations was a fun twist, and a lot of it was actually really funny - I literally laughed out loud at a few spots ...more
Jeff Stevens
Feb 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Do the manga artistic conventions of big eyes, sharp chins and skinny torsos add a great deal to "the greatest story ever told"? Nah. But watching a Japanese author slowly make sense out of a vast and confusing western religious text, developing his own reading and theology in the process, is fascinating.
Vincent Pham
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
The Manga Bible: From Genesis to Revelation is (as the name suggests) a Bible in the Japanese manga type of art. I am sure many readers know about this unique type of art. It is very popular among teens, especially asian teens (please correct me if I am wrong!). The front page says the concept art was by Siku and the script was written Akinsiku. According the About the Authors page, Siku "is one of Britain's leading comic book creator/conceptualists... he worked for Marvel UK and COM X and has b ...more
Angel
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: manga fans, anyone interested in the Bible
This is definitely a different way to look at the classic book that almost everybody knows. Whether you are a believer or not, odds are you have read the Bible or are familiar with the major stories in it. The author and artist for this manga have come together to create what I consider an interesting interpretation. Actually, when you look at the Bible, a lot of the stories can lend themselves to the manga style treatment. The book does feature small notes with specific Bible verses for people ...more
Rickyleung140136
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Charles
Jan 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Manga lovers
The Manga Bible by Siku is an ambitious project that could have been a perfect 5/5, but it has several shortcomings. Overall the book provides a great experience for Christian and non-Christians.

The book is too text driven since it attempts to give a general outline of the entire Bible (usually 2000 pages) in 200 . The only way to overcome this would be to make it longer. Also some of the text is printed too close to the binding, making it extremely frustrating to read at times.

The book is bibli
Helmut
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Schwache Umsetzung ohne Inspiration oder Kunstfertigkeit

Die Idee finde ich klasse. Die Bibel bietet richtig guten Stoff, bereits vorgedacht und weitbekannt, also ideale Voraussetzungen für einen Künstler, eine Comicversion zu komponieren.
Leider ist das in diesem Fall gründlich schiefgegangen. Der "Manga" (weder vom Zeichenstil noch vom Textstil her ist es eigentlich ein Manga) verliert sich darin, den in Annotationskästchen angebotenen Text in relativ undefinierten Bildern zu schmücken. Hier wi
Rachel
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it
To encapsulate the entire Bible in one volume of manga is a little too ambitious. The Genesis narrative was easy to follow and had enough characters to follow that it was pleasant. After Moses though, there's basically a ton of summary of all the kings and stuff. And it seems like the point of putting the Bible in visual form is that you shouldn't be summarizing a ton of stuff, but rather showing what's going on.

I didn't really like the visual style of book either. Individual panels I didn't hav
David
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
The Manga Bible is a form of the bible written in Manga form so that people who like manga can enjoy the bible more. There are definitely pros to this book and some cons. I like the fact that this book would be easier to follow for certain people than the Bible. Another pro would be that they put Bible verses on the side for us to read if we would like to read this section in the real bible. This is great because i do feel like this book left some things out, it had to because this book isn’t e ...more
Eden
I'll start this off by saying that I have never read the bible. I do know the stories from the bible, but that is because of my mom. She read the bible and studied it for years. However, I myself, have never read the bible.

I saw this at the library and decided to give it a try. There were all the stories from the bible I remember being told to me by my mom. This manga described things in pretty good detail and there was lots of text, which is different from other manga.

It had quite a bit of vio
Mark
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
This treatment of the Bible and its contents is certainly different. It covers some of the major stories (and a few minor ones, too) to give the reader a sense of what is in the Bible. There are references back to the Bible sprinkled throughout so that readers who want to know more can find it.

It is an interpretation and an adaptation of the biblical text. Every page does contain numerous direct quotes from the Bible, often seen as excerpted phrases to describe what is happening in a cell.

It w
Vance
Oct 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, art
Not a fan of the art form but when I heard of the Manga Bible I was intrigued. Granted, it is more like an abridged children's illustrated Bible but I think Siku (the author) does a great job of bring a taste of the scriptures to a readership that might otherwise not even touch the Bible. One of the coolest things about it are the little tabs that say "want to know more? Check out such and such book with chapter and verse" I wouldn't use it for deep study but it is certainly will done and will l ...more
Pompom Sönnfors
Mangabibeln är underhållande och tillräckligt komprimerad för att det snabbt ska gå att få sig ett grepp om Bibeln och vara roligt under tiden. Det högtravande bibelspråket är borta (en attityd som Bibelns översättare inte skulle dö av att ta efter) och skaparna har kryddat dialogen med en humor som garanterat inte går att spåra till Bibeln.

Det här är ett bra sätt att berätta världens mest kända sagobok på ett nytt sätt. Hela vår kultur bygger på det som står i den så vi vinner på att åtminstone
Well, this book definitely spells out the stories of the Bible in a clean, easy to understand format. The writing drops all the "thou"s and "mayest"s, opting for a modern interpretation that will resonate with young people. Unfortunately, being able to read the stories in this format affirmed my own loss of religion, but I'll save that for another review. The lines are clean and crisp, and the action is essentially broken up into vignettes, with interludes into the smaller stories (i.e., Lot and ...more
Josh Butler
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wonderful intro book to those who are overwhelmed by the sheer size of the Holy Bible. It tells a good deal of the most basic elements, from Adam and Eve, to the Prophets and Judges, to the culminating birth of Jesus. It's a good launchpad for newcomers, but it's also good at refreshing old hands at things they've studied for years. The book is in standard manga-paneled format, although it reads like a comic, and the visual elements are crisp and informative. It doesn't take too long to read, wh ...more
Joseph D Gadbaugh
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
A great quick read. I recommend it if you can find it for cheap. The illustrations are course and Siku does not pull any punches when he presents the characters of the Bible. I love it because it puts a new perspective on this amazing book. A warning though, it is not really for small children. But I think most teens that are into manga or anime would really enjoy it and it could interest them into the Word to dig deeper.
M
May 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, unfinished
Not very good. The authors have made little use of manga as a medium. This book is far too text heavy, giving only the basics of each story (Job is covered in a single page!). Although the idea of a manga adaptation of the bible is interesting, it would be better handled across multiple volumes with a decompressed style of storytelling allowing for each story to be told in-depth instead of the heavily abridged versions found here.
Phillip
Feb 15, 2013 rated it liked it
In my review of The Life of Jesus I pointed out that everyone in the book looked Anglo-Caucasian. In this book everyone is lanky and looks like X-generation fantasies.

It is a nice blow-through of The Bible in 200 pages in Manga form.

The thing I kept thinking about is the look of the book would be perfect for a graphic novel version of Tolkien's Silmarillion.
Scott
Jun 12, 2012 rated it liked it
I was scanning a B&N shelf to see what different editions of The Message they had, and The Manga Bible was tucked into the wrong spot. I pulled it out and read it over while standing at the shelf. It was generally an enjoyable experience. The artwork added a sense of adventure that doesn't seem to seep into scripture reading very often, but did seem genuine and well thought out.
Dwight
Jun 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Never read manga before. This one is pretty good. I only got confused by the flow a few times. Sometimes you read all the way across the page, sometimes you read down a column...

I thought the authors did a pretty good job. It is abridged, but they picked a pretty strong narrative.
Amos Smith
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-books-other
Teens love the Bible in this format. The riveting cartoons of Manga are phenomenal, especially in this rendition. When I picked up this Manga Bible I couldn't put it down! -Amos Smith (author of Healing The Divide)
Linda
May 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Linda by: NPR religion
Shelves: faith, graphic-novel
It was interesting to see how the author visualized the Bible. I found the language kind of funny at times, as there was a mix of more traditional terms with modern slang. Not quite the ahistorical language of the Message Bible, but close at times.
John
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
A really engrossing and thought provoking read.This isnt written in the usual form.Its a Manga book so of course it isnt as heavily detailed as the bible but the way its done and the illustrations make for not only a educational but a very interesting read.
Lindsey  (AlexLux) Gage
Nov 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I got this from a friend as a gag gift. [return][return]The art is fine, in that gritty, sketchy way. Storyline is the bible simplified, but as boring.
Joseph Young
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Is actually a decent manga adaptation, for what can be done in this format. Would recommend reading the original instead though.
Elizabeth
Dec 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Reminded me a bit of the Picture Bible I read all the time as a kid, but this condensed version skipped over some of my favorite stories.
Eric
Oct 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
I haven't gone back in a Bible yet to check for accuracy, but this Manga Bible definitely focuses on the gruesome...there's plenty of it in the Old Testament. Interesting.
Aaron Carlberg
This is the best of all the Manga Bibles out there in my opinion.
Rick
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It's so cool to SEE the story of Jesus and the early church put into manga form. This book has style! I think the artist got everything just right.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Breath of Bones: A Tale of the Golem
  • Courtney Crumrin's Monstrous Holiday (Courtney Crumrin, #4)
  • Tales from the Clerks: The Complete Collection of Comic Stories!
  • Tank Girl: The Gifting
  • Salam Pax: The Clandestine Diary of an Ordinary Iraqi
  • Uncle
  • Sloth
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow