Start by marking “Before I Sleep I Say Thank You” as Want to Read:
Before I Sleep I Say Thank You

Before I Sleep I Say Thank You

At bedtime, a mother and child think about their day and remember one thing each is sorry for, then the child recalls five things to be grateful for, takes a peaceful breath, and falls asleep. Includes notes for children and adults.
Published January 1st 2015 by Pauline Books & Media

To ask other readers questions about Before I Sleep I Say Thank You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before I Sleep I Say Thank You

Start your review of Before I Sleep I Say Thank You
Paul Czajak
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful quite book perfect for bedtime. It has Christian undertones but I feel the message of being thankful for what you have transcends religion and is a great message for all denominations.
Stacie
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Before I Sleep I Say Thank You is a charming tale that teaches children to be thankful for the gifts each new day brings and the second chances we have to make a difference.

It's bedtime and after brushing his teeth and zooming to bed in Mom's airplane arms the little boy begins reminiscing about his day. He recalls ways he could have been more helpful like when mom needed assistance picking tomatoes and he decided to play instead. He also shares things he's thankful for like playing
Kirsti Call
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The message of this story is beautifully written and illustrated. Before we put our kids to bed we have them tell us 5 things they are grateful for. it's a wonderful way to end the day and this book is the perfect companion to that idea! Any parent and child will enjoy reading this book together and thinking about what they are grateful for!
Marti Johnson
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely lovely way to end any day with any child. Adult and child alike examine their day and promise themselves to do better tomorrow then give thanks for five things: great and small. Beautifully written, 'Before I Sleep' will be a treasured memory for many families.
Mymcbooks
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing

My Review: This is a story about a little boy whose favorite part of the day is tuck-in-time. When night falls, he brushes his teeth and get ready for his mom to take him to bed. He like pretending that she is the train and his is the caboose as they sing “Choo-choo!” on the way to his room. While in bed, his mother tucks him in nicely and they take a moment to think about their day. Mom talks about her gardening and not stopping to help Ms. Nelson and promised next time to stop and help her. An
Linda Schueler
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have been looking for a tool to help my daughter and I form a daily gratitude practice. So I was delighted when I heard about this book!
The book is based on the Examen prayer. However, most religions have some form of nightly prayer and gratitude, so it can be adapted according to your needs.
Since reading the book the first time, my daughter and I have followed the routine suggested in the book every night. Each of us say one thing we are sorry for and five things we are grateful f
Jane Healy
This is a sweet children's book encouraging a bedtime routine. Mommy helps model by giving her reflection of the day, and her son follows. They think about what they encountered and what they could have done differently and better. They name their blessings and 5 things they are thankful for. The story ends with the boy saying a breath prayer, with an explanation of what that is. All of these prayers are wrapped in a cozy family story. The book includes a note for grownups with some other prayer ...more
Carrie Charley Brown
I love the way this book celebrates so much: Family relationships, peace, forgiveness, and blessings. There is a prayer at the end, but the message running throughout applies to everyone. In our busy world, taking five minutes each day to reflect can bring people closer and offer a new positive outlook on life. It's hard for problems to seem too big when reflecting on the good stuff.
Cathy
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am the publicist for the author of this soon-to-be-released (Dec. 1, 2014) illustrated children's picture book. This book truly does transcend many denominations. Establishing an "attitude of gratitude' and a chance to do better tomorrow are reinforced in an engaging story with colorful and endearing illustrations by artist Mary Rojas.
Marlyn Evangelina Monge
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! It is a favorite of my five year old niece who wants people to read it to her every night. I have also used this book for read-alouds when I go to classroom visits. The author has done a wonderful job telling the story and the illustrations make this book truly breathtaking!
Billi Thielke
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read this to my grandson's they loved it, and so did I
Carol Ekster
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It is a book that will encourage a nightly routine of gratitude, which can make happier children, happier families, and a sweeter world to live in!
Steff
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a nice calming read before bed for our littlest. We enjoy doing the piece at the end that encourages breathing and slowing everything down before falling asleep. The concept is close to our own bedtime routine with the kids so it fits in nicely.
Margaret
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shows a mother-child bedtime routine perfect for teaching gratitude!
Sandy Brehl
Clearly written with the intention of guiding young children (and families) in mindful bedtime reflection and shared gratitude practices, this, for what it is, offers a better understanding of picture book conventions, voice, and illustration than THE RABBIT WHO WANTS TO SLEEP by Carl-Johan Foreseen Ehrlin. There's no doubt that some kids and families need more structured support in bedtime habits than others. For those who do, this is an alternative that offers comfort and appeal rather than co ...more
Rosi Hollinbeck
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet picture book to help children learn the importance of examining their lives through prayer. The message is nicely woven into a going-to-bed story showing a mother and son going through a bedtime ritual that includes a prayer to examine their day together — what was good and what could have been better. Author Carol Gordon Ekster has created a text that is instructive without being didactic. Mary Rojas charming, colorful illustrations are a perfect complement to this story.
Lynda Jean
May 01, 2017
Amy Graves
Sep 27, 2015
Kendra
rated it did not like it
Jan 10, 2017

• Roller Boy
  • Call Me Amy
  • Nothing Wee about Me!: A Magical Adventure
  • Wicked Academy 1: The Magic Elite
  • The Thorn Princess (Iron Crown Faerie Tales, #1)
  • Game of Shadows (Iron Crown Faerie Tales, #3)
  • Reign of Darkness: Iron Crown Faerie Tales Book 4
  • Heir of Iron Hearts (Iron Crown Faerie Tales, #2)
  • A Cursed Reign (Whims of Fae, #5)
  • The Secrets of Lost Stones
Carol Gordon Ekster’s first published children’s book, Where Am I Sleeping Tonight?-A Story of Divorce, Boulden Publishing, 2008, was inspired by one special former student who lived the schedule described in the book. It was an About.com Readers' Choice 2012 finalist for Best Children's Book for Single Parents. Another of her stories was in Library Sparks magazine, February 2010. Her second book, ...more