Start by marking “Archmage (Homecoming #1; The Legend of Drizzt #28)” as Want to Read:
Archmage (Homecoming #1; The Legend of Drizzt #28)

Archmage

(Homecoming #1)

DRIZZT RETURNS TO THE UNDERDARK!

“After a quarter of a century, R.A. Salvatore just keeps getting better and better, and The Companions is another masterful leap forward for one of the greatest fantasy epics of all time.”
—Philip Athans, best-selling author of Annihilation and Writing Monsters

R.A. Salvatore
Archmage

The pall that had descended over the North is gone, and
Published September 1st 2015 by Wizards of the Coast

To ask other readers questions about Archmage, please sign up.
Aislin Brunt I am not sure about how books are released in your country but where I am (Canada if it helps) books like this tend to be released in paperback…moreI am not sure about how books are released in your country but where I am (Canada if it helps) books like this tend to be released in paperback between a year to a year and a half after the hardcover release. Or at least that was what I noticed over the 10 years that I worked in Chapters.

This was released in September of 2015 so the earliest that I would expect to see a release of the paperback is in a couple months (September 2016), the latest being February 2017- if it does not get delayed for any reason.

I did do a check on Amazon.ca and Amazon.com as well as Chapters.indigo.ca and my local store recently since I've been eagerly waiting the paperback myself and so far there is no release information for when a paperback will be out, so I would expect it to not be anytime soon since lists of paperback release dates are generally received about 3-4 months in advance to retailers to inform them of what is coming out and when.

Again this is in my experience, it might be different depending on your country and/or area. I check in every couple weeks with my local book retailer to see if anything new has come up. If I find a better answer I'll come post it for you. Hope this helped in some way , if for no other reason then to give you an idea of when to start looking, in any case :)(less)
Robert Yes, it can, but you'll be cheating yourself of an appreciation of all the characters and their various motivations! Please, do yourself a favor and…moreYes, it can, but you'll be cheating yourself of an appreciation of all the characters and their various motivations! Please, do yourself a favor and pick up the 'Dark Elf Trilogy' and the 'Icewind Dale Trilogy' at the very least. Ideally, you should follow this list recommended by the author himself: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comm...
Trust me you be glad you did.(less)

Sean Gibson
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Standard R.A. Salvatore Biased Review Caveat: Bob Salvatore is one of my favorite authors and has been for 20 years; he’s also, amongst the writers I’ve had the good fortune to meet and/or interview, one of the nicest and most generous with his time. So, any book that has his name on the cover gets an extra bump up the review scale compared to if the same book had been written by someone not named Bob Salvatore.

With that said…3.5 Stars

(Note: this review assumes you’ve read previous books in the
Alissa
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-ebooks
Here be dwarves!!! This novel reads easily. Not much happens in the first 40% or so and the plot is very linear, building and anticipating the foregone conclusion.

There are many reminders about the current state of affairs which are useful if one has read the latest books some time ago, or not at all. The same goes for the story at hand just to make double sure there never is any tapping of intellectual energy involved.

At least there is an unexpected twist about Drizzt, who is always a superb ch
Adam Fisher
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ARC from Netgalley. Obvious Spoilers ahead...

In the fall of 1992, me being 12 at the time, a friend of mine gave me Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn, the first three novels in what is now known as The Legend of Drizzt. In it, I met Drizzt himself, and started upon a journey that I am still taking, 23 years later and finishing Book 28: Homecoming Vol 1: Archmage.

Over time, the books have come to include a large cast of characters, all intersecting portions of Drizzt's life. Some of these characters w
Shane Jardine
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Every year I find myself looking forward to the newest Drizzt book by R.A. Salvatore, and every year I finally get to read the book and I always find myself wondering why I was so excited. After the events that transpired in the Companions Codex I had high hopes that Salvatore would surprise me with his next series. Sadly going by how I felt after reading Archmage that is not going to be the case. I really need to stop getting my hopes so high for these books and maybe I will enjoy them more.

The
Online Eccentric Librarian
Sep 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, fantasy

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

This is the first book in a (yet-another) trilogy (Homecoming) in the seemingly endless Dark Elf series of books. It continues without pause from where we left off in the previous trilogy: Bruenor's quest to reclaim Gauntlgrym.

Story: Bruenor marches with an army of dwarves to reclaim Gauntlgrym from the dark elves that hold it. Wulfgar and Regis bow out toward their own adventures in the very early part of the book but
Kostas
6/10

First book in the Homecoming trilogy but I must say that I am disappointed by Salvatore as I expected something more after the weak conclusion of the Companions Codex trilogy.

I’ve been a long time fan of Drizzt and Salvatore’s style in general but after Gauntlgrym I’ve been struggling in this series and, although I kinda liked the new version of the Companions, I feel that it should all have ended right there, at the end of Gauntlgrym. It was a somewhat perfect ending for me even if it was f
Kyla
Sep 07, 2015 marked it as to-read
My beautiful work of art! Signed, hardcover, everything.

photo PTDC0048_zpskcjbid6h.jpg

photo PTDC0047_zpsqtjz8hfx.jpg

photo PTDC0049_zpsr2f8ofsj.jpg
Ursula
5 stars.

Adult Fantasy.

It's hard not to love a book about Drizzt. I've read over 20 Drizzt books and I still feel adrenalized reading about him. He raised the bar on what I look for in a protagonist.

Gromph and Kimmuriel have some character growth... or at least character change in this book. I liked that Salvatore gave them and their complex teacher-student relationship a spotlight in this book.

On the downside, this book had more dwarven politics than I care for. I've said in other Drizzt book re
Zayne
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Now that is a Drizzt book! Absolutely amazing. This is a huge improvement compared to the last Drizzt trilogy The Companions Codex. I had initially started reading this book instead of another because it was relatively short and I wanted to meet my reading goal for the first time. I didn't expect much. I was excited of course because the Drizzt books are really special to me. I've been reading them since middle school, but I didn't think I would be so entranced in the book. Whenever I picked it ...more
Gary
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The title is Archmage the series is thought of as Drizzt's but this book belongs to Bruenor and the Dwarves. This isn't a book where you can complain that the plot isn't moving. Things of consequence happen and the status quo of the series has changed. A great installment of a long running series.
Liza Jane
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-reviews
I received this ARC ebook in exchange for an honest review.

I didn't read the book myself, my husband has been a fan of RA Salvatore's since long before we ever met and I was happy to give him the chance to review one of his favorite authors.

The pall that had descended over the North is gone, and a new day has dawned on a victorious Mithral Hall, but no matter how bright things seem on the surface, Drizzt and his companions know that what lurks just under their feet remains steeped in evil and c
Kristie
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Archmage, like many of Salvatore's books, is the beginning of yet another series kicking off what is promising to be a grand adventure. While I'd taken a break from these books over the last few years, picking this one up was almost seamless. I've missed the last series and frankly, thought I'd have a harder time figuring out what was going on, where Drizzt had been, and where in the timeline of Farun we were. Establishing what's been happening in the world, not to mention Drizzt's life was surp ...more
Richard
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received a free kindle edition of the book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

WOW!

Salvatore is consistently good but this is something else!

The war in the Silver Marches is finally over and Bruenor has convened his fellow dwarf kings to convince them to re-take Gauntlgrym.

Along with the Companions of the Hall, or at least those who choose to remain, and some worthy replacements the dwarf army marches for the ancient Delzoun homeland and it's Fire Primordial powered forge.

But driv
Scott
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Here I am again! When's the next book going to be released? Oy!

If I could be reading it right now, I wouldn't be typing this review. At this point - after having read the last eight books - I'm completely in! That being said, this book was nicely crafted. The story rolled right along and before I knew it, I was caught in its torrent.

I have several D&D source books once again stacked on my night table! I enjoyed looking up the monsters and places as I read this. Anyone fancy a quick campaign?
Dave
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Christopher
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
"What a silly adventure."

Thus an evil dark elf describes his compatriots plan to defeat three dwarven clans as the latter attempt to reclaim their ancient and abandoned home of Gauntlgrym. To aid in their plan, the dark elves enlist the help of demons (which usually turns out well).

A better paced and plotted start of a new Drizzt trilogy shows a bit more narrative focus and eliminates much (though not all) of the meandering drow politicking. In its place we get dwarf politicking as several dwarv
Kelly
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Archmage numbers twenty-eighth in ‘The Legend of Drizzt’. As always, I’ll preface my review with the caveat that you will get more out of these later books if you’ve read those that came before. At this point in the saga, a lot of foreknowledge of the world and the characters has to assumed, or R.A. Salvatore would spend half the novel catching everyone up.

The war for the Silver Marches is over, a tentative truce declared between the orcs and the combined forces of the dwarves, elves and humans.
Matthew Ciarvella
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Another Drizzt book, with all that implies (more on that in a second), but one that is redeemed by some genuinely cool moments.

Let's start with the "another Drizzt book" pieces. We're on another quest to reclaim a lost dwarven homeland (again). In fact, we've already been on a few quests to reclaim this dwarven homeland, because it's Gauntlgrym. But this time there's a dwarven army! So that's different. The dwarves continue to have intensely silly names to the point of distraction and I swear, i
Daniel
Jun 16, 2015 rated it liked it
It astounds me that R.A. Salvatore is still writing Drizzt Do'Urden novels with a sense of freshness, telling stories that still captivate and entertain. Salvatore does this by sticking to the simple themes and core characters that have helped make him so successful, while adding a tinge of complexity through additional characters to focus on. Hardcore fans of his Forgotten Realms novels shouldn't be disappointed with the start of this new sub-series.

I had read the first ten volumes within The L
Jessica
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
George R.R. Martin and R.A. Salvatore should compare notes occasionally... The former seems to delight in killing off primary characters, whereas the latter refuses to leave the dead to their fate. Sure, there are certain characters in any author's world that ought to be sacrosanct, but sometimes the truly good and truly evil do die--or pass irrevocably into history in some manner where those of us emotionally invested in them can cheer, weep, gnash our teeth, and move on. For the (few) inviolat ...more
Mike
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Salvatore's latest entry in the Legacy of Drizzt anthology is 100% pure plot-driven, 90% predictable fun. (view spoiler)

The pacing is quick and even for the most part, entangled (appropriately) only when outlining all the machinations of House Baenre vs. the other houses.

The great weakness of this novel is that Salvatore continuousl
Kendra Lawrence
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Overall this was a good read, and I finished it fairly quickly. There are some good plots twists, and for once the Drizzt books seemed to be tying in with larger events in the Realms, rather than just having RAS do his own thing. As someone who has read FR books outside the Drizzt novels, I sometimes feel that the Dizzt books are sort of their own thing, and only a part of the Realms in that they take place in Faerun and have the same races.

I actually liked that Lolth was a character in this nov
Paul
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end!

Salvatore outdoes himself in this newest novel featuring Drizzt and his companions. The war with the Orcs is over, the Drow continue to plot and now it's time for the Dwarves to reclaim their ancient homeland of Gauntlgrym. They must battle cunning drow, denizens of the underdark, and other nefarious enemies in order to secure it. Meanwhile there are plots within plots by the Goddess Lolth to bring forth chaotic change to the face of Faerun...
Alice Miller
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I lied a bit, I didn't finish it but I won't be finishing it until I read the beginning of the series. I bought the book at a discount because it was the first of a series. I was really excited, I had only ever heard good things about R.A. Salvatore but I listened to this book for nearly 2 hours and understood little if anything of the story. Do not start reading here if you are new to the series. I'll update when I've read the others.
Bob
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Much better than the last 2 or 3 books. Bob has slowed the pace down and concentrated more on the story. The Companions series seemed like he was trying to get somewhere as fast as possible.

However, there is a slippery slope of characters being too powerful. I kind of want all of the characters to lose of their cool weapons and powers and start over..

Tony
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Salvatore continues his Drizzt saga with the 31st book in the series, Archmage.

The malicious Matron Mother of the Underdark city of Menzoberranzan comes up with a demonic scheme to keep her rivals at bay, while throwing the city into the most chaotic frenzy many of its denizens have ever lived through - if in fact, they do live.

The resilient dwarves of the Silver Marches, fresh out of a war with the orcs, march to the Underdark to reclaim their most ancient city of Gauntlgrym; which is now occ
Silas
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first time listening to a book from this series as an audiobook. I had fallen a few books behind, and this seemed like a good way to catch up, though I have greatly enjoyed reading the books in the past. It took some getting used to, but luckily, I was already familiar with pretty much all of the names already, which was one of the largest hurdles. The narrator had some pretty different pronunciations than the ones I had come up with just from having read them, but it didn't take long ...more
Peter Henne
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I only made it through 1/3 before I gave up. Like a lot of modern fantasy, it has the problem of a plot-less sprawling story. 100 pages in, and the story still fills like it's being set up. That's obviously not always a problem; not every book needs a tight three-act structure. But those without plot needs compelling characters or dialogue to keep the reader engaged.

This book seems to be counting on readers' connections to the characters from earlier novels. That's fine, but with this many book
Dan
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I don’t know.. I think I’m still reading the series just because I’ve read what now? 28 books?
But since the companions of the hall died the first time, the author got lost.. he didn’t know where to go with Drizzt. He became a whining little girl who every part of the book during his introduction would always reminisce his long lost friends.

Maybe Salvatore should’ve developed and introduced new characters during the later books and put Entreri as a main character instead of just a guest star. Dun
Leon Niemandt
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Can't say that I still have the same enthusiasm as when I first read these books. Like most, I absolutely loved the books when I first discovered them and devoured them as fast as I could. Picked up this book on a whim as I had just finished a great book and had a bit of a book-hangover, so I wanted to read something that wouldn't demand too much of me.

In that sense, Archmage does deliver. This is the 28th book of The Legend of Drizzt and you get exactly what you would expect. Familiar character
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Readers of R.A. S...: Archmage - New Release 9/1/15 1 12 Sep 04, 2015 02:47PM

• The Adversary (The Sundering, #3; Brimstone Angels, #3)
  • The Godborn (The Sundering, #2)
  • The Reaver (The Sundering, #4)
  • The Sentinel (The Sundering, #5)
  • The Herald (The Sundering #6)
  • Downshadow (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #3)
  • City of the Dead (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #4)
  • Circle of Skulls (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep, #6)
  • Corsair (Forgotten Realms: Blades of the Moonsea, #2)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more

Homecoming (3 books)
  • Maestro (Homecoming #2; The Legend of Drizzt #29)
  • Hero (Homecoming #3; The Legend of Drizzt #30)
“I will continue to judge on the content of character and not the shape or color of a mortal coil. My heart demands no less of me, my spiritual peace must be held as the utmost goal.” 2 likes
“No, I say. Because I cannot. I cannot dismiss that which is in my heart and conscience. I am a creature of intelligence and reason. I know what actions please me and put me at ease, and which pain me.” 1 likes