Start by marking “Jane Austen: The Complete Works” as Want to Read:
Jane Austen: The Complete Works

Jane Austen: The Complete Works

Few novelists have conveyed the subtleties and nuances of their own social milieu with the wit and insight of Jane Austen. Through her vivacious and spirited heroines and their circle, she painted vivid portraits of English middle-class life as the eighteenth century came to a close. Each of these novels is a love story and a story about marriage—marriage for love, for ...more
Published October 30th 2014 by Penguin Classics (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Austen

Start your review of Jane Austen: The Complete Works
Shaun Lyon
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Formatted very nicely. The electronic version controls work very well. Have found no glitches. Which are very nice. It also is a complete collection of Austen's works. All for very cheap! Really very happy with this purchase. Worth every penny and more. I bought this book at special price from here:
Joanne Dorfman
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I have ready every Jane Austen book at least ten times. I never get tired of them.
Dani
I can’t believe it took me 25 years to read any Jane Austen. I love her. I love her so much.
midnightfaerie
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This book, The Complete Works of Jane Austen, is not to be confused with The Newly Discovered, Unfinished, & Finished Complete Works of Jane Austen. The first, which I have completed, contains only the larger, more popular novels that Austen is known for, while the other contains those novels along with many smaller obscure novels, novellas, poems, and letters. I have finished the major books, and am now working my way through the smaller ones.

As for my opinion on Austen:

As I work my way
Karen
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After checking out the other Kindle book collections that feature the writings of Jane Austen, I decided on this one because of three important things: 1. the cover grabbed me (really pretty and befitting of the era), 2. the layout was GREAT compared to the other Kindle versions I saw, where paragraphs were spaced weird and jagged on the right edge in some cases (or available illustrations were too small to even consider). The layout in this version makes for easy, comfortable reading, and the ...more
Dayla
These letters are okay, but even "just okay" for Jane Austen means "wonderful" for the rest of us.
midnightfaerie
I sometimes struggle to rate things on if their good based on how they're written or whether I enjoyed them personally. For Austen, it's a clear 4-5 stars when considering her writing. She's articulate and concise when doling out characters and plots. There's a reason she's considered a classical writer and the label is apt. However, when considering my enjoyment, it's probably closer to a 3.5-4. I'm a typical girl in that I love the romance aspect of stories and the relationships, but I'm just ...more
Steve
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This may not be a "mans" book, but it is a good read. There was a little too much chattiness for my liking at times, but the story resonates with me as it resembles (fondly) my courtship with my wife. I see myself in Mr. Darcy (prideful and not outgoing), and something of my wife in Lizzy (opinionated and strong (and strong headed).
Kevin Ryan
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished Northanger Abbey in this collection. First Jane Austen book that I have read. Now want to read more by her.
Paula
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m one of many Jane Austen fans. This is at least the second time I’ve read all her books. Wonderful stories, impeccable writing, lessons in human frailty and strength. Universally great reading.
Arlene Starr
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Northhampton Abbey
This is a love novel, written in third person by Jane Austen and finished in 1803 but not published for several years. It is about a young lady Catherine Morland who takes leave of her parents and siblings to vacation with a neighboring couple, the Allens, in Bath an area recommended for Mr. Allen's health. Catherine is an inquisitive, adventurous, and imaginative girl who is entering young adulthood and eager to experience the opportunities which would be available to her in a
Elsa
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of her works are worth the read, thorough study, and so rich in wonderful characters, history, and self-discovery. Her protagonists have been some of the most interesting, clever, and beloved characters.

Favorites in order:

1. By far - PERSUASION. Anne Elliot is almost too good a character. First and last daughter of our's named mostly for her.
2. Pride and Prejudice
3. Emma
4. Sense and Sensibility
5. Northanger Abbey
6. Mansfield Park
Natalie
May 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ughh.. so many words to say so little. I just can not appreciate Jane Austin stories. I have tried several times and could not get through even one. I gave up. I hardly ever give up. That is how much i cannot appreciate Jane Austin.
Carmen
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite writers. Pride and Prejudice the very first book in English I read in my life.
Paul
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved readingher books!
Therese
I have read all her books just wanted to get a digital copy to carry around with me in case of emergency!
Fadia Khan
love this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! awwwwwwsome!! jane austin is the best author in the world!!!!!
Susan Phipps-harris
I love her many written arts. I love her stories and the strong women, for those days, she portrays in her work.
Candace
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am at a lose of words. Who doesn't love Jane Austen?
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sense and Sensibility

This one gives the clash of values characteristic of the writer, with wealth and temptation and opportunity versus rectitude and character and propriety as well as prudence playing the major part. How love itself must give way to rectitude and character is the chief theme, with the obvious lesson that giving way to temptation for now might close the door to happiness, love and future in fact.
............................................

Pride and Prejudice

"It is a truth
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sense and Sensibility:-

............................................................................

Patricia Bossano
When I was working on Book I of my FAERIE LEGACY series, I took to reading and rereading Pride & Prejudice and Sense & Sensibility.
I did this because Faery Sight is set in the 1800’s, and I couldn’t think of a better way to get familiar with the prose and flowing narrative of that period. I simply love both books and they’re by far my favorite by Jane Austen.
As for movie/TV adaptations of these two classics? I haven’t seen any better than:
BBC/A&E’s co-production of Pride &
Maria
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every book from Jane Austen. They always feel like my best friend sharing the juiciest gossip with me, and I always feel very attached to the characters.

For more of my reviews, please visit my blog!
Mari
Dec 2 2017 - Read The Beautifull Cassandra, which is part of the Juvenilia Part 1 collection. Juvenilia is a collection of stories she wrote when she was very young. And boy oh boy does it show. This is clearly a story written by a child. I did not like it. 1 star.
Jorge Concha
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good reading, tremendous story telling about a long ago and more decent period, not the uneducated deductions of post Trumps era

God story telling about a more decent period of our lives a more tranquil intelligence and advance era in the lives of decent gents
Bonnie
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked it but thought the premise so different from what I expected. Sure it’s fantasy but mostly it’s an enjoyable historical story.
Rafa
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Jane Austen and this is a great collection to someone who enjoys her or wants to have classic English Literature at their disposal.
pamela k cronister
What can I say

Between the incredible Miss Austen and the depth of Bronte sisters, and I mean ALL the Bronte ladies, womens literature has set the bar for all literature.
D.K. Kerr
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite books.
Janavi Held
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I've read Pride and Prejudice 30 times. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Bronte Sisters - The Complete Novels + Extras
  • Anne: The Green Gables Complete Collection (All 10 Anne Books)
  • Pemberley to Waterloo (Pride and Prejudice Chronicles, #2)
  • Kitty Bennet's Diary (Pride & Prejudice Chronicles, #3)
  • Mr. Darcy's Enchantment: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Georgiana Darcy's Diary: Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice Continued (Pride and Prejudice Chronicles, #1)
  • Alice in Wonderland: The Complete Collection (Illustrated Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Illustrated Through the Looking Glass, plus Alice's Adventures Under Ground and The Hunting of the Snark)
  • The Complete Novels of Mrs Gaskell
  • Unequal Affections: A Pride and Prejudice Retelling
  • The Forbidden Queen
  • Lies Young Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets Them Free, Companion Guide
  • Lies Young Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets Them Free
  • Microsoft Age of Empires II
  • Ardently: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • The Coming of Age of Elizabeth Bennet
  • The Bennets Take on the Ton (The Sweet Regency Romance Series Book 12)
  • To Teach the Admiring Multitude: Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice Continued
  • Elizabeth and Darcy: Ardently Yours: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed
“dinero sólo puede dar felicidad allí donde no hay ninguna otra cosa que pueda darla. Más allá de un buen pasar, no puede dar real satisfacción, por lo menos en lo que se refiere al ser más íntimo.” 1 likes
“She had never been staying there before, without being struck by it, or without wishing that other Elliots could have her advantage in seeing how unknown, or unconsidered there, were the affairs which at Kellynch Hall were treated as of such general publicity and pervading interest; yet, with all this experience, she believed she must now submit to feel that another lesson, in the art of knowing our own nothingness beyond our own circle, was become necessary for her; for certainly, coming as she did, with a heart full of the subject which had been completely occupying both houses in Kellynch for many weeks, she had expected rather more curiosity and sympathy than she found in the separate but very similar remark of Mr and Mrs Musgrove: “So, Miss Anne, Sir Walter and your sister are gone; and what part of Bath do you think they will settle in?” and this, without much waiting for an answer; or in the young ladies’ addition of, “I hope we shall be in Bath in the winter; but remember, papa, if we do go, we must be in a good situation: none of your Queen Squares for us!” or in the anxious supplement from Mary, of—“Upon my word, I shall be pretty well off, when you are all gone away to be happy at Bath!” 1 likes