Start by marking “Supernatural: Origins” as Want to Read:
Supernatural: Origins

Supernatural: Origins

(Supernatural Graphic Novel #1)

Published May 20th 2008 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Supernatural, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Supernatural

Otherwyrld
A few years ago Wildstorm Comics produced several prequel Supernatural comic books, of which this was the first one. All of them follows John Winchester as he drags his two young sons across the length and breath of the United States hunting for the creature that killed the boys mother.

The story is pretty average, given that it covers some of the early lessons that the inexperienced John Winchester must learn as a hunter. We get a road-trip to Harvelle's, the bar that serves as a base for hunte
Oceana2602
Fangirl says: OMG WHERE ARE YOUR EYES, JOHN!?!

Ok, so I'm not a comics fan. I like exactly three kinds of comics: Donald Duck, Peanuts and Calvin & Hobbes, which, you know, really doesn't make me part of the "graphic novel" fandom (that's not what it is called. I think.) I'm just not interested in the genre, nothing against it, but, things to do, books to read, no time to look at pretty pictures. (and I do think that many graphic novels are very pretty).

However, I was willing to make an excep
KK
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-graphics
huh the story was okay but the artwork was awful. I really didn't like it.
Shellock Holmes
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural
The only reason I did not give this 5 stars was because the the dates were completely off, which irritated me.
Dean was born January 24 1979
Sam was born May 2 1983
Jo Harvelle was born April 7 1985.
There was a point when John was leaving the boys behind with someone to hunt and it was 1982 so Sam wasn't even born and Mary didn't die until November 2 1983. During another part Ellen was telling Dean that her daughter was about his age. Not only was Sam not suppose to be born yet but Jo definitely ha
Janelle Dazzlepants
Amber Earley
Mar 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
I was absolutely mortified at this comic. I expected it to be fairly decent at the least, but I was disappointed from even that. The art is terrible, hard to decipher, and nothing like what the characters look like. The writing is corny and overdone, and the only redeeming quality in this book is the demon plot twist near the end with "Uncle Hunter," although any sensible person could see that coming. Would not recommend.
Ágnes
Aug 17, 2011 rated it liked it
I didn't like it, maybe because I hate John Winchester. But I think the plot was almost non-existent. Yep, there are some interesting things in it, for example how Winchester Daddy became a hunter, but the story isn't elaborated or compelling. And the drawings... well let's just say, I saw better. I only liked the Sam and Dean scenes which were very rare. If you're a fan, it's readable once...
Rory
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
I'm a big fan of the Supernatural TV series, but the tie-ins leave a lot to be desired. Case in point: Origins, the first series of comics released.

It's readable, which is more than I can say for most of the novels, but I don't find the lineart or coloring at all pleasing to the eye (something that's luckily addressed in Rising Son, which is far superior), and the story never pulls me in. Some of the story flaws exist because of the comic's release date - much of the history that would make Joh
Lauren
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
I didn't really mind the artwork (a lot of people seem to have problems with it) and I quite liked seeing how the family started out down the track of being hunters.

The plot was good and felt like a TV episode in comic form. Nothing really bad to say about it at all :)
Jesse
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is basically a summary of the “John Winchester’s A+ parenting” tag on ao3. John, what the Hell are you doing?! Also, very much not a fan of the face illustrations. I kept flashing back to Carl post-eye loss on The Walking Dead.
Melissa White
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Loved the story just wasn't a huge fan of the art style.
Clover
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm going to have to get used to the way John is drawn. They've really gone overboard with the square -ish contours and deep lines of his face to make him all gruff and haggard. He's kinda blond as well.

Begins with several cameos of John reminiscing about Mary dying and then him going to the fire marshal and police to try and figure out what happened. He isn't getting anywhere so he gets drunk and into a bar fight, where some chick intervenes.

Whoa, that's Missouri? Didn't expect her to be all
Jennifer (bunnyreads)
I decided to reread this one since I reviewed a later comic tie-in for Supernatural in last years bingo. This comic was the tie-in they did about John’s early years after Mary’s death, and is ten years old now.
Of course, a lot of this has been retconned since this was written- I am sure they never dreamed the show would go for ten plus years, but even so, some of this didn’t even make sense way back then. They really didn’t go out of their way to try and keep anything too faithful.

As far as the
SHR
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
The graphic novel seems to be an increasingly popular way to extend TV franchises, while they are still running or after they have stopped airing. This one tells the story of how John Winchester became a hunter – it was surprisingly interesting.
Luckily, I don’t really care about the pictures because the drawings in this are terrible – especially the faces.
The only annoying thing in the “graphic novel” was a one page flash to the future, featuring Sam & Dean; either the story is interesting
Shantel Parsell
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh how I loved this. It kept me turning the pages. It’s so much different then the show. It gives way more detail. I love it. I wish I could get my hands on the next one.
Kennady
Jun 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Meh, i appreciate it but it was missing the feels i get from the show. twas a little lack luster
Kerry
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This prequel actually sounds pretty canon as to how John Winchester would've raised his kids and dealt with Mary's death.
Megan Davie
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it

This graphic novel prequel to the hit CW television show written by series Executive Producer, Peter Johnson, gives readers an incredible never-before-seen look into the mythos of the series. After witnessing the murder of his wife at the hands of a demon, patriarch John Winchester begins a journey into the dark world of the supernatural, seeking a way to hunt down and kill the creature that took his wife. Can a newly widowed father balance fighting evil with raising his children? Discover what
Leslie
Oct 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, comics, fiction, fandom, tv
The story of how John Winchester became a hunter after the tragic firey death of his wife has always been an intriguing one not answered through the canon of the show. This version of the story, involving characters either only briefly mentioned or shown in the show, was intriguing. Too bad it was completely overwhelmed by the awful artwork.

I actually laughed the first time they show little Sam and Dean in a panel because they are drawn in such a way that it makes me wonder if the artist has eve
Jaimie
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm extreemely happy that they chose to write a graphic novel about John Winchester rather than Sam and Dean. The brothers may be the main characters of the series, but the regular novels are already expansions of their adventures in the tv series, and I fear that a graphic novel adaptation would be much of the same. Saturating the market with every medium in which a story can be published can be a very effective marketting technique, but it has to be done in a way that fans do not feel like the ...more
Andrew Bulthaupt
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
As a fan of the TV show, I was interested to see what this graphic novel offered. Overall, I enjoyed the experience thoroughly.

The main character is John Winchester, Sam and Dean's father. The story starts shortly after his wife's murder and follows him as he learns about the existence of demons and starts down the path of becoming a hunter. There's some interesting twists thrown in for good measure, and some references to things that come later on too.

I found the writing to be top notch and suf
Quentin Wallace
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

This graphic novel serves as a prequel to the SUPERNATURAL TV Series. It ran hot and cold. I've seen every episode of the series, and this was true to the show. It stars John Winchester, and the story takes place right after Sam and Dean's mother is murdered. Sam and Dean only have cameos as children in this one, and the story is all about their father.

It started out strong, showing how John went after what killed his wife and his early days learning to be a hunter. But then it took a v
Kereesa
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: If you've enjoyed the TV show
Recommended to Kereesa by: Nic
Supernatural: Origins is a prequel comic book to the TV series Supernatural regarding John Winchester's journey to becoming a hunter after the death of his wife. Plotwise, this comic book doesn't do much other than providing more character development, which the show pretty much covers except for John I guess, and showing the growth of the characters into super badass hunters. That being said, it's still entertaining enough to read, and if you've got the money to spare it's an excellent addition ...more
Janna
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read it because it was a tie in. Not bad, not great. Nice to see some people I'd only just met in the show (I'm only S2E5). The art actually reminds me a little of the art in Gunslinger, SO MUCH SHADOW. WHY?? The story didn't feel like it had a whole lot of substance, but really I only felt that way near the end. For most of it, I liked where it was going. I liked seeing how John got his start, where and why and how he'd get trained. It just didn't tie together well for me in the end. I can't ...more
Susan
Jul 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: die-hard fans of the TV series
I don't really like these illustrations. None of the characters (except Ellen and maybe Mary) look anything like they do on the show. As other have also mentioned in reviews, much of the backstory that happens in this volume is contradicted in the latest two seasons of the series. And I prefer the version that has unfolded on screen.

I've never been a huge fan of graphic novels or comic books. I think they cause my ADHD to flare up. My eyes are always jumping all over the page and I feel like I
Dovile
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
I'm a big fan of Supernatural, and I really like comics and graphic novels, so I just had to read this one. The book has actually two prequel stories: Origins and a very short 5-page story See No Evil.

My first impression: don't bother reading this if you haven't seen the TV series. The artwork throughout the book looks quite primitive (similar to what's on the cover), and the plot of Origins was confusing and not interesting (I'd give it 1.5 stars). I liked See No Evil better (3 to 3.5 stars):
Julie
Sep 09, 2009 rated it liked it
As a fan of the series, I thought this would be a fabulous way to get insight into the early years of the Winchester brothers. In that vein, I was a bit disappointed as the story centers on John with Sam and Dean as tag-alongs. I do understand the need to tell John's story, but it wasn't what I expected, or really even what I was interested in. For me, John's story was already heavily implied by the show. So, nothing in the graphic novel really came as a surprise, or even felt new to me.

This was
Imogen
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 22
I restarted watching Supernatural this month and after getting stuck on a couple novels I was reading, decided to pull out this origin story. I'd never read it before and can honestly say I'll never read it again.
The story was just so unnecessary. It basically fills in the time that the show leaves to your imagination- directly after Mary dies, but in such a weird acid trip hallucination way that it just leaves you with more questions. And the art. Sam is six months-ish and is at one point sitti
Christine
Oct 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: die-hard Supernatural fans
Recommended to Christine by: Hedda
As the title suggests, Origins is a look into John Winchester’s beginnings as a hunter and picks up only a few days after Mary’s death in the Pilot episode. John begins to investigate her death, sensing that it wasn’t a normal electrical fire which claimed her life. During his interrogations he catches the attention of Missouri Mosley, the town psychic. Missouri opens John’s eyes to the truth—that we live in a world full of dark things that go bump in the night and it was one of these which kill ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Supernatural: Beginning's End
  • Supernatural: The Dogs of Edinburgh
  • Supernatural: The Official Companion Season 5 (Supernatural : The Official Companion, #5)
  • In the Hunt: Unauthorized Essays on Supernatural
  • The Supernatural Book of Monsters, Spirits, Demons, and Ghouls
  • Coyote's Kiss (Supernatural, #8)
  • One Year Gone (Supernatural, #7)
  • Witch's Canyon (Supernatural, #2)
  • The Unholy Cause (Supernatural, #5)
  • The Mythology of Supernatural: The Signs and Symbols Behind the Popular TV Show
  • Heart of the Dragon (Supernatural, #4)
  • Night Terror (Supernatural, #9)
  • TV Goes to Hell: An Unofficial Road Map of Supernatural
  • Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
Peter Johnson is a television producer and writer as well as a comic book writer.

Supernatural Graphic Novel (4 books)
  • Supernatural: Rising Son