Start by marking “Supernatural: Origins (Supernatural Graphic Novel, #1)” as Want to Read:
Supernatural: Origins  (Supernatural Graphic Novel, #1)

Supernatural: Origins

(Supernatural Graphic Novel #1)

Published May 20th 2008 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Supernatural, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Supernatural

Start your review of Supernatural: Origins (Supernatural Graphic Novel, #1)
Oceana2602
Fangirl says: OMG WHERE ARE YOUR EYES, JOHN!?!

Ok, so I'm not a comics fan. I like exactly three kinds of comics: Donald Duck, Peanuts and Calvin & Hobbes, which, you know, really doesn't make me part of the "graphic novel" fandom (that's not what it is called. I think.) I'm just not interested in the genre, nothing against it, but, things to do, books to read, no time to look at pretty pictures. (and I do think that many graphic novels are very pretty).

However, I was willing to make an exception
Otherwyrld
A few years ago Wildstorm Comics produced several prequel Supernatural comic books, of which this was the first one. All of them follows John Winchester as he drags his two young sons across the length and breath of the United States hunting for the creature that killed the boys mother.

The story is pretty average, given that it covers some of the early lessons that the inexperienced John Winchester must learn as a hunter. We get a road-trip to Harvelle's, the bar that serves as a base for hunte
Shellock Holmes
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural
The only reason I did not give this 5 stars was because the the dates were off.
KK
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-graphics
huh the story was okay but the artwork was awful. I really didn't like it. ...more
Emma Kay Krebs
Jan 05, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
3.5 stars. Ending was dull, but I love John Winchester's A+ parenting being acknowledged. Get your kids in therapy, king!! ...more
Janelle Dazzlepants
Amber Earley
Mar 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
I was absolutely mortified at this comic. I expected it to be fairly decent at the least, but I was disappointed from even that. The art is terrible, hard to decipher, and nothing like what the characters look like. The writing is corny and overdone, and the only redeeming quality in this book is the demon plot twist near the end with "Uncle Hunter," although any sensible person could see that coming. Would not recommend. ...more
Ágnes
Aug 17, 2011 rated it liked it
I didn't like it, maybe because I hate John Winchester. But I think the plot was almost non-existent. Yep, there are some interesting things in it, for example how Winchester Daddy became a hunter, but the story isn't elaborated or compelling. And the drawings... well let's just say, I saw better. I only liked the Sam and Dean scenes which were very rare. If you're a fan, it's readable once... ...more
Ivy
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was quite interesting. It was nice to know the early days of John Winchester's hunting days. I wonder who the Hunter guy was.

Good comic book for fans of the Supernatural tv series.
Faith Lane
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm gonna start off by saying this is my first graphic novel. I tried one a couple months ago and didn't enjoy it so I thought graphic novels weren't for me. However, as soon as I found out from my friend, Steph, that Supernatural graphic novel were a thing, I knew I had to have it.

After starting it and seeing how the graphic novel went more in-depth to John Winchester's backstory, I knew I was going to fall in love. And honestly, I did.

There are a few things that were a little off though. In t
Quentin Wallace
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

This graphic novel serves as a prequel to the SUPERNATURAL TV Series. It ran hot and cold. I've seen every episode of the series, and this was true to the show. It stars John Winchester, and the story takes place right after Sam and Dean's mother is murdered. Sam and Dean only have cameos as children in this one, and the story is all about their father.

It started out strong, showing how John went after what killed his wife and his early days learning to be a hunter. But then it took a v
lauren
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
I didn't really mind the artwork (a lot of people seem to have problems with it) and I quite liked seeing how the family started out down the track of being hunters.

The plot was good and felt like a TV episode in comic form. Nothing really bad to say about it at all :)
Jesse
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is basically a summary of the “John Winchester’s A+ parenting” tag on ao3. John, what the Hell are you doing?! Also, very much not a fan of the face illustrations. I kept flashing back to Carl post-eye loss on The Walking Dead.
Melissa White
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Loved the story just wasn't a huge fan of the art style. ...more
Clover
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm going to have to get used to the way John is drawn. They've really gone overboard with the square -ish contours and deep lines of his face to make him all gruff and haggard. He's kinda blond as well.

Begins with several cameos of John reminiscing about Mary dying and then him going to the fire marshal and police to try and figure out what happened. He isn't getting anywhere so he gets drunk and into a bar fight, where some chick intervenes.

Whoa, that's Missouri? Didn't expect her to be all
Marissa
Jun 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
If you're wondering what the Winchesters lives were like before Mary Winchester died, this comic isn't it I promise you. Go watch all the flashback episodes and come to your own conclusions. I came into this comic thinking there was no way I couldn't love it. Supernatural is one of my favourite shows and when I started to read comics I thought this would be a nice transition into the medium and I could not have been more wrong.

This fails as a story and as a comic but most importantly I can't eve
Jennifer (bunnyreads)
I decided to reread this one since I reviewed a later comic tie-in for Supernatural in last years bingo. This comic was the tie-in they did about John’s early years after Mary’s death, and is ten years old now.
Of course, a lot of this has been retconned since this was written- I am sure they never dreamed the show would go for ten plus years, but even so, some of this didn’t even make sense way back then. They really didn’t go out of their way to try and keep anything too faithful.

As far as the
SHR
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
The graphic novel seems to be an increasingly popular way to extend TV franchises, while they are still running or after they have stopped airing. This one tells the story of how John Winchester became a hunter – it was surprisingly interesting.
Luckily, I don’t really care about the pictures because the drawings in this are terrible – especially the faces.
The only annoying thing in the “graphic novel” was a one page flash to the future, featuring Sam & Dean; either the story is interesting eno
Kay
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was ok
I have to say, I just didn't get this.
Companion comics should... be a companion to the show.
I know that sounds stupidly obvious, but this book didn't do that. Besides the book focusing on John Winchester (and a trip to Harvelle's), I didn't see any of Supernatural in this book. The demon mythology was weird and new (and confusing) and there are no answers for Jon at the end (or even in the middle! You'd think he invented Hunting or something with the amount of 0 info everyone else gives him) &
Trinity Fordham
my thoughts -

- john winchester is a shitty dad and a dick
- i didn't like the art much
- the dates were very inconsistent and didn't match the canon tv series
- i didn't really care what was happening at all
Kerry
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This prequel actually sounds pretty canon as to how John Winchester would've raised his kids and dealt with Mary's death. ...more
Kennady
Jun 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Meh, i appreciate it but it was missing the feels i get from the show. twas a little lack luster
Danielle  Lucas
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
If you are a fan of the show, this is a cool prequel following John's dive into being a hunter. With the show ending, it's a great way to get more story. ...more
✨ Aaron Jeffery ✨
This was a pain to get through. The first 40 % of this book was really good but then it went down hill in my opinion. I will read volume 2 one day
Ashley Frank
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a great prequel!! Love the story.
Buck
If I could hold this book in my own hands I would.

TAKE IT AND BURN IT BC WTF. Like. Wtf.
Seriously wtf
Megan Davie
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it

This graphic novel prequel to the hit CW television show written by series Executive Producer, Peter Johnson, gives readers an incredible never-before-seen look into the mythos of the series. After witnessing the murder of his wife at the hands of a demon, patriarch John Winchester begins a journey into the dark world of the supernatural, seeking a way to hunt down and kill the creature that took his wife. Can a newly widowed father balance fighting evil with raising his children? Discover what
Leslie
Oct 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, tv, comics, fandom
The story of how John Winchester became a hunter after the tragic firey death of his wife has always been an intriguing one not answered through the canon of the show. This version of the story, involving characters either only briefly mentioned or shown in the show, was intriguing. Too bad it was completely overwhelmed by the awful artwork.

I actually laughed the first time they show little Sam and Dean in a panel because they are drawn in such a way that it makes me wonder if the artist has eve
Andrew Bulthaupt
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
As a fan of the TV show, I was interested to see what this graphic novel offered. Overall, I enjoyed the experience thoroughly.

The main character is John Winchester, Sam and Dean's father. The story starts shortly after his wife's murder and follows him as he learns about the existence of demons and starts down the path of becoming a hunter. There's some interesting twists thrown in for good measure, and some references to things that come later on too.

I found the writing to be top notch and suf
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Nevermore (Supernatural, #1)
  • Bone Key (Supernatural, #3)
  • John Winchester's Journal (Supernatural)
  • Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
  • Heart of the Dragon (Supernatural, #4)
  • The Unholy Cause (Supernatural, #5)
  • Witch's Canyon (Supernatural, #2)
  • One Year Gone (Supernatural, #7)
  • The Supernatural Book of Monsters, Spirits, Demons, and Ghouls
  • Night Terror (Supernatural, #9)
  • War of the Sons (Supernatural, #6)
  • Coyote's Kiss (Supernatural, #8)
  • King Deadpool, Vol. 1: Hail to the King
  • Carved in Flesh (Supernatural, #12)
  • Family Don't End with Blood: Cast and Fans on How Supernatural Has Changed Lives
  • Rite of Passage (Supernatural, #10)
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 3: Hotel Oblivion
  • Supernatural: The Official Companion Season 1 (Supernatural : The Official Companion, #1)
Peter Johnson is a television producer and writer as well as a comic book writer.

Supernatural Graphic Novel (4 books)
  • Supernatural: Rising Son (Supernatural Graphic Novel, #2)
  • Supernatural: Beginning's End (Supernatural Graphic Novel, #3)
  • Supernatural: The Dogs of Edinburgh (Supernatural Graphic Novel, #4)