Start by marking “Chronicle of a Death Foretold” as Want to Read:
Chronicle of a Death Foretold

Chronicle of a Death Foretold

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  95,108 Ratings  ·  4,734 Reviews
A man returns to the town where a baffling murder took place 27 years earlier, determined to get to the bottom of the story. Just hours after marrying the beautiful Angela Vicario, everyone agrees, Bayardo San Roman returned his bride in disgrace to her parents. Her distraught family forced her to name her first lover; and her twin brothers announced their intention to mur ...more
Paperback, First Vintage International Edition, 120 pages
Published October 7th 2003 by Vintage (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Chronicle of a Death Foretold, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE ALERT: A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Considering the misogynism of the author I think he was ready to doubt that a rape victim was telling the truth. Abuse victims don't come forward…moreConsidering the misogynism of the author I think he was ready to doubt that a rape victim was telling the truth. Abuse victims don't come forward because they know that nobody will believe them. Garcia Marques immediatly assumed that she was trying to cover a lover. Because in rape-culture a woman is always to blame

Remember that Santiago was ready to rape the Divina Flore the little black UNDERAGE girl that lived in his house like his father did before with Divina's mother. Remember that he got drunk a lot and that he liked to use women. Wouldn't a man like that rape Angela during a party in their teens and then forget about it because he was so drunk?

Just as Garcia Marques is predisposed to doubt women I'm predisposed to believe rape victims. (less)
Paola Cepeda García no. if you are learning spanish, perhaps you should read a book that is simpler to understand. I read the book, and as a native spanish peaker i can…moreno. if you are learning spanish, perhaps you should read a book that is simpler to understand. I read the book, and as a native spanish peaker i can say that i was a bit confused. The story is like one of the movies where nothing makes sense until the end, and you have to follow the narrative closely so as not to get lost. It is an excellent book, just not for that purpose.(less)

Ian
Jul 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I own about 70 copies of illegally-photocopied versions of this book so I can use it with my students in class. And unlike most books I teach, I read this one every year.

Why? 'Cuz it's an unbelievable text.

I firmly believe that Santiago Nasar is one of literature's greatest Christ-figures. Many of Garcia's books have Christ-figures, of course, but Santiago is Jesus with a twist. When the book starts, Santiago is portrayed as a bad man who is wasteful and immoral and violent. When he is fingered
Brina
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nobel Laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez who is best known for his One Hundred Years of Solitude penned a novella A Chronicle of Death Foretold based on real life events that he witnessed. In this novella, Marquez tells through the eyes of an unnamed narrator the events that lead to the murder of Santiago Nasar. It is in the characterizations of the personas this short book that we get a taste of Marquez' brilliance which won him many honors during his writing career.

Santiago Nasar is the only chi
Amalia Gavea
‘’There had never been a death more foretold.’’

Santiago is murdered in the market of a Colombian town. The perpetrators are two brothers. His crime? The supposed defilement of their sister, whose marriage to a young man was broken because she wasn’t a virgin. Márquez does something extraordinary here. He creates one of his finest works, a crime mystery where the question isn’t who or what but why. Why did everything happen in such a way? Why do people have to resort to such actions? Why are we
Ahmad Sharabiani
Crónica de una muerte anunciada = Chronicle of a Death Foretold, Gabriel García Márquez
Chronicle of a Death Foretold (Spanish: Crónica de una muerte anunciada) is a novella by Gabriel García Márquez, published in 1981. It tells, in the form of a pseudo-journalistic reconstruction, the story of the murder of Santiago Nasar by the two Vicario brothers.
Characters: Santiago Nasar, Ángela Vicario, Bayardo San Román, Pablo and Pedro Vicario
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز اول ماه می سال 1994 میلادی
عنوان: گزارش
Jibran
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There had never been a death so foretold.

Márquez's oeuvre may be roughly divided into two streams of writing: the magician of One Hundred Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera and the journalist-adventurer of this novel and News of a Kidnapping. The ominous world of magic realism closes shop when Marquez switches his gears to journalistic storytelling. But may be not quite; because right from the opening scene an eerie premonition trails at the heels of Santiago Nasar and, do what h
Issa Deerbany
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nobel-winners
ما هذه الروعة.

جريمة شرف عادية يكتبها ماركيز بكل جمال وروعة. اُسلوب مثير يجعلك في انتظار الاحداث وكأن الجريمة حدثت قبل سويعات وليست جريمة مرت عليها أعواما عديدة.

كل القرية تعلم بأن سنتياغو نصار سيقتل . والمقاتلين يتفاخرون بأنهم سيقتلون بشكل علني. ومع ذلك لم يقم احد بمنع الجريمة او حتى تحذير المقتول او محاولة إقناع القاتلين بالكف عن قتله مع انه من خلال الاحداث كانوا يمتظرون من يقنعهم بعدم قتله.

اُسلوب رائع ومثير ومشوق.
Mutasim Billah
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: colombia
"On the day they were going to kill him, Santiago Nasar got up at five-thirty in the morning to wait for the boat the bishop was coming on."

A grand wedding. A gruesome murder. And a multitude of lives changed forever. Chronicle of a Death Foretold is a novella which recounts a fictionalized account inspired by an actual incident of honor-killing in Colombia back in 1951, now immortalized in this 1981 novella.

The story is about the series of events leading up to a murder, and its aftermath. It is
Steven Godin
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stabbing a man to death is not as easy as it sounds, after all, it took 23 swipes at poor old Julius Caesar, but only one of them was actually deemed fatal. It takes a hell of an effort.
Not like that seen in those pathetic slasher movies, where a big breasted peroxide blonde is chased around a mansion by a nutcase bearing a huge blade that only dishes out flesh wounds.

Chronicling the murder of one Santiago Nasar in a small unnamed South American village, Márquez dazzles in a fictional world tha
Ahmed Ibrahim
ما هذه القدره المذهله
أعتقد أنِّى مهمـا قرأت لن أقرأ لأحد يكتب مثل ما يكتب ماركيز

قصه لم تكن مبهره لكن غندما يكتبها ماركيز فهى كافيه كى يعبث فى جذورها وطرحها بهذا الاسلوب المذهل الذى طالما ادهشنى

أحقاً يوجد أفضل من ماركيز ؟
لا أعرف وأحتاج الكثير والكثير لكى اجيب على هذا السؤال

Jokoloyo
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Before I started reading this book, Goodreads have already recorded 73,000 ratings and 3,500 reviews.

When I was reading this book, I found out some friends had read this book at his/her school age. How lucky you are, my friends. This is a good novel.

There are thousands correct ways to write a story. This novel used one of the rarely used ways. It was using non-linear timeline story, move back-and-forth between multi POV from a same morning when the incident occurred. It was not the first story
Mohammed-Makram
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature

جريمة شرف في الجزء الأخر من العالم
لم أكن أتصور أن الشرف له نفس المفهوم في أمريكا اللاتينية.

ماركيز له اسلوب بديع جدا في سرد الأحداث و كانت هنا و كأنك تقرأ قصة بوليسية أو تشاهد فيلم سينيمائي.

المشهد الأخير الذي يصور مصرع نصار هو الأروع في الرواية و هو ما رفع تقييمها من ثلاثة إلى أربعة نجوم
Araz Goran
عندما يكتب ماركيز لا يسعنا سوى الدهشة لهذا السحر الذي ينبثق من قلم هذا الرجل , هذه الخفة الآخاذة والسرد الممتع والأحداث التي تتشكل في الرواية على شكل لوحة متناسقة تنبعث منها رائحة الأدب اللاتيني بكل سماته وسحره وتأثيرة الواقعي على القاريء..

رواية خفيفة ومشوقة , تشبه فيلماً سينمائياً تتشكل أحداثه ببطء وتصل الى النهاية المفتوحة التي لامفر من البحث فيها عن أجابات كثيرة ومتناقضة تكمن في جسد الرواية نفسها..
Luís C.
In a small Caribbean village, the inhabitants finally fall asleep after the great feast given at the wedding of Bayardo San Roman and Angela Vicario.
But at two o'clock in the morning, the bridegroom suddenly brings Angela back to her parents' house. He repudiates her because she lied about her virginity at the time of the marriage.
When the twins Pedro and Pablo Vicario, Angela's brothers, go home, they decide to avenge the family honor by killing Santiago Nasar, the one who, according to their s
عبدالله ناصر

آمن الجميع بحماقة هيتشكوك أحد أهم المخرجين السينمائيين في العالم عندما قرر أن يقتل بطلة فيلمه الجديد بعد عشرين دقيقة و لم يحُل بينه و بين ذلك رفض شركة الإنتاج تمويل فيلمه الشهير " سايكو " الذي حقق نجاحاً عظيماً فيما بعد - إن لم يعدّ أكثر أفلامه نجاحاً -.

ماركيز ضارباً بالتشويق عرض الحائط يكتب بالسطر الأول نهاية روايته التي يقول عنوانها كل شيء تقريباً. بل يكرر ذلك في مقاطع أخرى بشيء من الاستفزاز. سانتياغو نصار المنحدر من أصول عربية يلقى مصرعه بأبشع ما يمكن حيث يتم تقطيعه إرباً بسكاكين خاصة بقتل ا
B. Han Varli
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

limandan dönmekte olan insanlar, bağrışmalardan telaşlanarak, cinayete tanık olabilmek amacıyla meydandaki yerlerini almaya başlamışlardı

HEPİNİZ ORADAYDINIZ BE!

belediye başkanı dahil kitaptaki tüm karakterler oradaydı be!

pl

marquez ile tanışmak için harika bir kitap kırmızı pazartesi...

bence marquez okumak bir çeşit uyuşturucu, uyarıcı madde kullanmak türünden bir gerçeklik.

bunu temel seviyede şöyle anlatabilirim, alkolün seni etkilemeye başladığı an hoşbulduk demek geliyor mu mesela içinden? o
Libros Prestados
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es exactamente lo que dice el título.

En cierta manera me ha recordado a "A sangre fría", porque hace una crónica de unos hechos que, en esencia, ocurrieron. Pero mientras "A sangre fría" es no ficción, esta novela es ficción. Y lo curioso es que García Márquez imita tan bien la forma de crónica, que a veces parece ser más "no ficción" que la novela de Capote.

Hay personas a quienes les pareció aburrido, a mí no. Hay quienes no soportan el estilo de García Márquez, no es mi caso. A mí me ha pareci
Amira Mahmoud
قصة موت مُعلن
أو بالأدق
قصة "قتل" مُعلن
يُعلن القتلة عن خطتهم للقتل
يعلم الجميع بها ، ويحاول الجميع منعها
لكن تتجمع مصادفات القدر كافة لتحول بينهم وبين محاولة منعهم لتلك الجريمة
القدر يجعلنا غير مرئيين

عندما شرعت في قرأتها، ووجدت أن الجريمة وسببها والضحية وحتى القتلة معروفين مسبقًا
تعجبت، ماذا ترك ماركيز لباقي الرواية إذاً؟
أكملتها على أنه لا بأس
ربما يقصد الغوص في التفاصيل، فالشر يكمن في التفاصيل
وبالفعل تحدث ماركيز عن التفاصيل
بل تفاصيل التفاصيل
تفاصيل سطحية، وأحداث لا قيمة لها !
وصف لشخوص الرواية سطحي،
Χαρά Ζ.
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
_Chronicle of a Death Foretold_

oh God, I love Marquez
Amr Mohamed

ما هو انا اللى غلطان اصلا , اذا كان لما قرأت مئة عام من العزلة اول مرة مقدرتش اكملها من الملل وقيمتها بنجمتين وبعد فترة بالعافية كملتها وقييمتها بتلات نجوم , وبيقولوا عليها احسن حاجة كتبها ومش عارف احسن رواية فى التاريخ ومعجبتنيش اوي , اقوم اقرأ قصة موت معلن ما أكيد مش هتعجبني .

ده الرواية 100 صفحة وكنت عايز اخلص منها بسرعة من كتر الملل, الرواية بتحكي يا جماعة عن واحد اسمه سنتياغو ابراهيم نصَّار ده مش تهريج هو اسم ابوه ابراهيم وتقريبا من الطوابق في فيصل, المهم عم الحج سنتياغو عبد الحميد ده اتقتل
Sine
muhteşemdi, muhteşem! işleneceği baştan beri bilinen cinayeti nasıl anlatabilirsin diye düşünmüştüm kitaba başlarken. sanırım bundan güzel anlatılamazdı. başı ve sonu bir tutup sürekli o noktadan çıkıp ufak halkalar çizerek o noktaya dönmesiyle çiçek gibi bir kurgu yaptı adeta :) bayıldım. gördüğüm herkese öveceğim, insanları bıktıracağım kitaplardan biri oldu kırmızı pazartesi.
Kevin Ansbro
I read this short masterpiece ages ago, but it only recently resurfaced in my mind, like a forgotten dream. It's a tense drama of murder foretold, written in the magical realism style for which Columbian novelist, Marquez, was lionised.
I really need to read it again to reacquaint myself with its succulent excellence.
(Ditto, Don Quixote, and so many other exquisitely-written novels that are now consigned to the backroom of my cluttered mind).
فهد الفهد
أوصي بهذه الرواية دائماً كمدخل لعوالم ماركيز، قراءة (مئة عام من العزلة) قد تبدو مرهقة للبعض بكل واقعيتها السحرية وبكل شخصياتها وتداخل الأسماء فيها، هذه الروية أكثر واقعية، تروي قصة حقيقية عن جريمة معلنة كان الجميع يعلم بوقوعها ولكن لا أحد تدخل لإيقافها، هذه قصتنا كبشر في النهاية، نتابع الأحداث من حولنا ونفهم تداعياتها وإلى أين ستقودنا ولكننا لا نفعل شيئاً حتى يفوت الأوان، فكروا فقط بالـ حروب/ العنصرية/ الطائفية/ الأوضاع الاقتصادية/ الجريمة
Tugba
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gabriel Garcia Marquez bunu nasıl yapıyor gerçekten bilmiyorum. Edebi yönü kuvvetli kitaplar yazıp aynı anda bu kadar temiz ve anlaşılır olmaktan bahsediyorum. Dahası anlatım dilindeki güzellikten, sihirden bahsediyorum.

Santiago Nasar'ın öleceği kitabın daha ilk satırlarından beri belliyken, kitabı öyle etkileyici bir şekilde bitirdi ki.. O ölümü öyle detaylı ve şahane anlattı ki.. Beni hem bu ölümü önceden beri bilen hikaye karakterlerinden biri yaparak kendimi suçlu hissettirdi hem de sanki o
Deniz Balcı
"Kırmızı Pazartesi" Marquez'in kendine has dilini/kurgusunu taşıyan, kısa ama vurucu bir roman. Herkesin işleneceğini bildiği ancak bir müdahalede bulunmadığı bir cinayete giden yolları ayrıntılı bir şekilde aktaran Marquez aslında toplumun sosyo kültürel yapısının, nasıl namus cinayetlerini legalleştirdiğini açıkça ortaya koyuyor.

Namus cinayetleri bizim ülkemizde de aynı Kırmızı Pazartesi'de olduğu şekliyle yaşanageldi yıllardır. Toplumun her kesiminden insanın, namus cinayetlerini gerek ekonom
Emir Ibañez
Un protagonista sin nombre nos cuenta el asesinato de Santiago Nasar a modo de crónica, veinte años después de los hechos.
Con su prosa y estilo magistral, Marquez va desglosando momento a momento todo lo sucedido ese fatídico lunes, enganchando al lector pese a que se sabe todo lo que sucedió y sucederá, hace uso y desuso del tiempo a su gusto y pone al pueblo entero de protagonista.
Por momentos me generó angustia, tristeza, un poco de asco, pero sobre todo mucha indignación. Es una lectura cort
Vanessa J.

I can't believe I had not written a review for this book. Since I'm constantly recommending it to people, I should have written a review at some point... but I didn't. Now is the time when I try to do it justice with this, as it is one of my fave books.

Chronicle of a Death Foretold... that's exactly what this book is about: A death foretold. You may be asking yourselves, wtf is that? Well, that was pretty much my reaction in 2013 when I read this for the first time.

Santiago Nasar is found dead.
Ben Loory
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
usually when i read garcia marquez i love it at first but then it just keeps circling and circling and eventually my brain shuts down and i pass out, but this time it just kept building and building and by the time i hit the end i thought i was going to explode. just one of the tensest and most mysterious books i've ever read in my life. also it was nice because i always read about marquez talking about how much he loves kafka but then i never see it in his books; this time around it was all rig ...more
Traveller
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly told....

I've just re-read this novel; and I've just remembered why it stuck with me after reading it the first time.

I have since learned that the novella is based on a true story, in which the author himself had been involved. This caused the book to carry even more of a disturbing impact for me.

The novel (novella? it's rather short) starts off in detective/journalistic investigative fashion; at first it seems casual and desultory; the narrator seems to be merely reporting. However,
mai ahmd
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: روايات
...أعتقد أني قرأت في مكان ما ربما في ذاكرة ماركيز عشتُ لأروي عن أن هذه الرواية كتبت عن جريمة حدثت في بلدته الصغيرة وما أوقعني في سحر ماركيز من جديد علما بأني لم أخرج منه حتى الآن خاصة بعد أُخذتُ بمائة عام من العزلة هذه التفاصيل التي يغرق فيها وهو يصف الأحداث على لسان راوي من عائلة القتيل ويحكي فيها قصة شاب من أصول عربية و يدعى (سنتياغو نصار) كان يعيش فيها وحيداً مع والدته في مزرعة وقد قتل بطريقة وحشية بسكاكين لذبح الخنازير على يد أخوين توأمين بسبب الإتهام الذي وجهته شقيقتهم أنجيلا لسانتياغو حيث ...more
  • The Lost Steps
  • Of Love and Shadows
  • La tregua
  • Delirio
  • Arráncame La Vida
  • Todos los fuegos el fuego
  • Bodas de sangre
  • Pedro Páramo
  • The President
  • The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis
  • Réquiem por un campesino español
  • Sobre héroes y tumbas
Gabriel José de la Concordia García Márquez was a Colombian novelist, short-story writer, screenwriter and journalist. García Márquez, familiarly known as "Gabo" in his native country, was considered one of the most significant authors of the 20th century. In 1982, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

He studied at the University of Bogotá and later worked as a reporter for the Colombian n
“He always considered death an unavoidable professional hazard.” 94 likes