Start by marking “Two Hearts (The Last Unicorn, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Two Hearts (The Last Unicorn, #1.5)

Two Hearts

(The Last Unicorn #1.5)

Coda to The Last Unicorn – a novelette. Available for free on the author's website. ...more

To ask other readers questions about Two Hearts, please sign up.

Start your review of Two Hearts (The Last Unicorn, #1.5)
karen
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WELCOME TO DECEMBER PROJECT!

last year, i carved out my own short story advent calendar as my project for december, and it was so much fun i decided to do it again this year! so, each day during the month of december, i will be reading a short story and doing the barest minimum of a review because ain't no one got time for that and i'm already so far behind in all the things. however, i will be posting story links in case anyone wants to read the stories themselves and show off how maybe someone
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
My brother Wilfrid keeps saying it's not fair that it should all have happened to me. Me being a girl, and a baby, and too stupid to lace up my own sandals properly. But I think it's fair. I think everything happened exactly the way it should have done. Except for the sad parts, and maybe those too.

Two Hearts marks the long awaited return of the author to the world of The Last Unicorn. The action takes places decades after the events in the classic book, and is told through the eyes of Sooz
Princessjay
Oct 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Peter S Beagle has been very reluctant to write a sequel to his best novel, THE LAST UNICORN, and with very good reason. The original story was a fable, with phrases and images so lyrical as to be near-poetry. The characters were "real" in that we could easily identify with them, yes, but they were archetypes. They exist in a timeless, mythical world that is only faintly attached to ours.

This novella makes them into real people, Schmendrick and Molly and Lir and the unicorn, and drew them down t
Oliviu Crâznic
„He told me that I had the makings of a real warrior queen, only he was certain I was too smart to be one.”

The amazing, darker, overwhelming, absolutely beautiful follow-up to „The Last Unicorn”.
A nine-year girl is asking the aged, dreamy, mostly senile king to take action against a child-eating griffin, and so a former hero embarks in a tragic journey, to honor the memory of his lost love.
A powerful magician bound to a promise of no interference... a huge, loyal, brave dog attacking a two-hea
M—
Dec 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Oh, god. Read in privacy and with tissues handy. It's a beautiful, perfect story, but it will break your heart.

The full text of the story is freely available here.

Related Reviews:
The Last Unicorn: The Lost Version by Peter S. Beagle

The Last Unicorn: The Graphic Novel adapted by Peter Gillis from the original text by Peter S. Beagle, art by Renae De Liz and Ray Dillon
Andreas
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mr Beagle wrote this sequel decades after The Last Unicorn.
Those who loved the last unicorn will like this as well - we meet Shmendrick, Molly, Lir and the unicorn (this time in a less exposed role) again and find out that Lir is now old and senile.

The story is told from the POV of a nine year old girl whose village is devastated by a griffin. That's why the girl asks King Lir to help and he has to set out for his last heroic deed. Of course, he knows that griffins have two hearts which is the
Kate
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Just like in The Last Unicorn, the animals are heroes and the people are flawed, and it's perfect.
YouKneeK
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Two Hearts is a 36-page story that follows up on the novel The Last Unicorn. I had just finished reading The Last Unicorn last night and I liked it ok but wasn’t really wowed by it and I had trouble getting into the story at first. This short story, on the other hand, drew me in right away and I really enjoyed it.

The story takes places many years after the events of The Last Unicorn and is told from the perspective of a nine-year-old girl named Sooz whose village is being terrorized by a griffin
Jolene Haack
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 200-2016
The Last Unicorn is my favorite book. Ever. Of all time. Full stop. It started with the movie. I saw the movie a thousand times as a child and only as an adult read the book. But it was so breathtaking. It was the type of story that changed me.

Today, when I discovered that there was a coda to the story, a short follow-up written by Mr. Beagle several years ago, I was excited and nervous. Terrified, maybe. Because not every follow-up is actually any good. In fact, it often differs so wildly with
MK
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
ahhh ... really good. I didn't love The Last Unicorn, but I loved Two Hearts!
Kelly
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. An unexpectedly good sequel, with some real heart, though not as fantastic as the original. I really liked the idea of telling the story from the perspective of a child, and I think Beagle did a great job with Sooz’s voice in particular (though I found her name distractingly dumb). I’m still digesting this and collecting my thoughts, so I’ll likely include further details on it in my review of Beagle’s collection THE LINE BETWEEN, which I’m currently (3/13/2020) reading and in which t ...more
Teri
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series-finished
I enjoyed this short story more than the original novel - probably because I really loved the main character, a young girl named Sooz. And the original characters of Schmendrick, Molly Grue and King Lir seemed more interesting this time.
Roberta Decenzo
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun little add on to The Last Unicorn that delves back into the story with some old and some new friends. A couple parts are very heartfelt so be prepared for a few tears. Definitely worth the read!
Sam (Hissing Potatoes)
Pure magic. It's incredible how the author manages, in so few words, to evoke the weight of everything that happened in The Last Unicorn and continue building on those themes and relationships.
Aj
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
read it 'cause I was curious...and found it an odd way to end the tale of Lir and the Last Unicorn.
Bill
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short-but-sweet return to the world of "The Last Unicorn", told from the perspective of a young girl who goes off on a quest for help in defeating a griffin terrorizing her village. In doing so, she meets some people familiar to those who've read the first book, and the reader finds that the years have not been equally kind nor fair to these beloved characters. It's sad and beautiful, and ties back into the themes of the first book -- time and agelessness, harsh reality and the wonder of story ...more
Joy
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
My copy has an introduction by Connor Cochran, and knowing about the legal battles that have been going on between him and Beagle, I felt slightly sick to read that: About how this continuation of The Last Unicorn was all Cochran's idea, promised to be released before it was discussed with the author himself. Cochran plays himself as a sort of hero to convince Beagle to write a sequel after so many decades of saying no.

The story itself is enjoyable enough. It's written from the first person per
Jana
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
This is a generally well-written short story, providing some closure on what happened to Schmendrick the Magician and Molly Grue after the events of The Last Unicorn, though presented through the eyes of a young girl named Sooz whose village is under siege by a terrible griffin. Determined to put an end to the griffin's attacks, she sets out to seek an audience with the king, who she feels is duty- and honor-bound to come out and deal with the threat rather than send squads of knights (who just ...more
Benjamin Duffy
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This little novella is the "coda" to Beagle's masterpiece The Last Unicorn, and while it came out over three decades later, I just finished reading the two of them for the first time, back to back.

It's a lovely story, told by the protagonist, a nine-year old girl named Sooz. It trades the overwhelming power of the prose in The Last Unicorn for a smaller, more humble narrative voice that, while not quite as spellbinding, is still charming and memorable. Sooz herself is clever, brave and spunky, a
Davonna Juroe
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Davonna by: John Bladek
Shelves: novelette
It's of no surprise that this story won the Hugo Award for Best Novelette in 2006. I read this while I was in the airport, and it took all I had to hold back tears. The ending both moved and took me by surprise. Judging by the reviews here, I'm not the only one who got teary.

Growing up, I'd seen The Last Unicorn movie countless times. I had the whole film memorized and remember pretending to be Lady Amalthea (still hoping to be her for Halloween some day). I'd read the novel as an adult and it w
Vanessa Ricci-Thode
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was the perfect follow up to The Last Unicorn! It's too bad that the POV didn't leave much room for the poetry of description that the first book had, but there was still a hint of it now and then. I loved everything about this story, even the sad bits. Because they were sad, but they were right.
Kaylee
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was the perfect sequel. I cried.
Irene
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Free short story and sequel to The Last Unicorn, included in certain editions of the book as well as some fantasy anthologies.

I honestly preferred the narrative style to that of the original because it was much less of a fable, and I was able to connect more with the characters - dare I say it reminded me of Ella Enchanted?

(view spoiler)
Angela
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I'm a huge fan of The Last Unicorn, and I've enjoyed other novels Beagle has written. I was unsure of veering back into the Unicorn's world because I knew that it could never live up to my expectations.

I was right. But when I thought about it, I realized that if the novella had been a story outside of the Unicorn's world and unrelated to the original novel, I would have found it a lovely and compelling story. So really, my expectations were the problem.

A young girl names Sooz takes it upon herse
Witch of Angmar
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The introduction to this novella is written by Connor Cochran, and knowing what I do now about his relationship with Peter Beagle, I can't be sure if the novella came to be as willingly on Peter's part as Cochran describes. It's awful irony that Cochran begins the introduction talking about former managers taking advantage of Peter and how he, Cochran, had saved Peter from that and UGH.

Anyway, aside from the introduction, the novella is written in from a child's point of view and I had my doubt
Cillian Flood
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Hmm. Not sure what to say about this one. It has all the same characters as the first novel and a lot of the same heart but ultimately it's just trying to be a sequel rather than really be something unto itself. Nevertheless the themes are good and its nice to see the characters again. Plus it's free which is always a nice treat. A pleasant read for a lazy afternoon, check it out here, http://www.peterbeagle.com/works/shor...

But read only if you've read the original novel first. As I said, it's
Samantha
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
This wasn't a bad story, and it was nice to get a little follow-up on some of the characters of the first book, but... I'm torn on how I feel about this. As a writer, I can understand writing a short story or two with old characters just for fun. As a reader, I really didn't see a reason for this story to exist. The beautiful language of the book is gone, and I didn't really gain much from this story.

If you're a huge fan of the first book, maybe you'll enjoy this more than I did. As somebody who
Bianca Campos
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Last Unicorn is a property I hold very dear to my heart, i had discovered that there was a sequel 3 years ago and was originally hesitant to pick Two Hearts up due to fear of it not being as magical to me as The Last Unicorn. I regret the hesitation I had for Two Hearts, I enjoyed it a lot and it made me so happy to read about the characters again and see their interactions. Though it was a little saddening to see that the unicorn had no speaking roles and the point of view change from the o ...more
Agata
Sep 20, 2020 rated it liked it
3 stars

I'm basically surprised about how much more I enjoyed this little book compared to The last unicorn. It's really short, only few pages, but it got me much more interested.

Sooz is such an amazing character! She has her own voice and I loved that it was told through her eyes. She and the book itself is very different than other fantasy books I've read but I still enjoyed it.

I still can't really connect with the author's writing style and that's why I rated these books so low - even though
Sean Chick
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sequel to The Last Unicorn that is not quite as silly as the novel, instead emphasizing its maudlin and romantic parts. It is a tale of the ravages of time. The characters are who they were in the novel, but each changed by the long years since Haggard's fall. As much as it is a paean to old times, it is much more a tale of how fantasy, hope, love, and courage will live in the younger generations. What makes it less cheesy (if arguably sappy) is its melancholic tone. All around, it is a fittin ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Roots, Shoots, Buckets  Boots: Gardening Together with Children
  • Forest School Adventure: Outdoor Skills and Play for Children
  • A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking
  • Sex and Vanity
  • Café Engel: Eine neue Zeit. Roman (Café-Engel-Saga 1)
  • The Princess and the Pea
  • Labyrinth: A Novel Based on the Jim Henson Film
  • Slan (Slan, #1)
  • Trial and Error (Ambrose Chitterwick #2)
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 6 [Utsuro No Hako To Zero No Maria 6]
  • Hadrian the Seventh
  • Jim Knopf und die Wilde 13
  • But Not the Hippopotamus
  • The Mask of Apollo
Peter Soyer Beagle (born April 20, 1939) is an American fantasist and author of novels, nonfiction, and screenplays. He is also a talented guitarist and folk singer. He wrote his first novel, A Fine and Private Place , when he was only 19 years old. Today he is best known as the author of The Last Unicorn, which routinely polls as one of the top ten fantasy novels of all time, and at least two of ...more

The Last Unicorn (1 books)
  • The Last Unicorn (The Last Unicorn, #1)

News & Interviews

“She loved him too. That's why she let him go.” 5 likes
“He is a true hero," she said, "a dragonslayer, a giantkiller, a rescuer of maidens, a solver of impossible riddles. He may be the greatest hero of all, because he's a good man as well. They aren't always.” 3 likes