Start by marking “Dragon Was Terrible” as Want to Read:
Dragon Was Terrible

Dragon Was Terrible

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,092 Ratings  ·  211 Reviews
We all know dragons are terrible, but this one is especially terrible. He scribbles in books. He steals candy from baby unicorns. He even burps in church. Seriously, who does that? Dragon, that's who. The king, the knights, and the villagers are desperate to take down this beast once and for all. But sometimes it's up to the unlikeliest of heroes to tame a dragon this terr ...more
Published August 23rd 2016 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published May 31st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Was Terrible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Was Terrible

Carmen
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Children; Parents
Ummmmm.

So, this book is about a terrible dragon. And by "terrible," I mean he does stuff like TP the castle and spit on cupcakes.

And he burped in church. Loudly. Honestly, that's terrible AND rude.

??? WTF? Why is a dragon going to church?

The book is also strange because it mixes past and present. For instance, this is supposed to be a Medieval kingdom with princesses, knights, and moats... but there are also Crayola crayons and baby strollers and spray paint cans.

I don't like the illustrations a
Amanda
This would have been 5 stars, but the ending fell a bit flat for me. Otherwise, I LOVED everything about this book, and it made me laugh several times. Clever, about the boy and how he tamed the Terrible Dragon.
Jana
What a fun picture book this is! While the dragon in this story is terrible, the awful things he does are pretty funny and will have young readers giggling out loud: pantsing the royal guards, TPing the royal castle, spitting on cupcakes, etc. But rather than giving up, the villagers keep trying to come up with ways to tame the naughty dragon. Finally, one young man comes up with a unique way to win the dragon over. This story could lend itself to writing projects to come up with other stories t ...more
Heidi
Dragon behaves terribly. He spits on cupcakes, plays tricks on people, and takes candy from baby unicorns. The king and townspeople are very frustrated and angry with the dragon and seek to tame the dragon. But they fail. Only when a young lad uses a story to catch the dragon's attention does it become possible to tame this dragon's terrible behavior. DiPucchio has written a book that would work well for storytimes about dragons, the power of story, and making friends. Pizzoli's adorable illustr ...more
Lisa
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this!!!! This would be so much fun to read as a storytime. It is interactive and AWESOME!!! I would buy this for myself as well as someone else. What more can I say.
Shawn Thrasher
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This dragon is a complete and total brat. He even spits on cupcakes, which is terrible and vile (Ariana Grande knows all about this). After everyone in the whole kingdom tries their hand at taming this terrible beast, one little boy has an ingenious idea. This book is cute AF. Greg Pizzoli’s illustrations are a perfect match for Kelly DiPucchio’s prose.
Laura Harrison
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kelly DiPucchio is not only prolific she is hilarious. I am a fan of all of her works but Dragon Was Terrible may be my new fav. It is laugh out loud funny-a pleasure for children and adults. Definitely a repeat read and one of the funniest and most clever children's picture books that I have read in quite some time. The illustrations are by the super talented and awesome Greg Pizzoli. Love that guy. The art is exactly perfect for the story. Can't wait to see what DiPucchio and Pizzoli come up w ...more
Bea  Charmed
Some of it was predictable and some of it wasn't but it was cute, with a nice message: you don't have to fight to stop someone's bad behavior. Also, books are wonderful; a message I can heartily endorse. :D But, the messages are not heavy handed. The story is humorous, and told in a casual, chatty style.

I read this with my class of one and two year olds, and it was too long for them. I think it would work well for children in preschool, kindergarten, or early elementary.
b.andherbooks
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
My four year old loved talking about what dragon was doing wrong - Stealing candy! Stomping flowers! - along with the solution to dragon's terribleness. The muted color palette and illustrations are also adorable.
Ruth
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, childrens-books
This book is perfect. A simple text combined with simple and charming illustrations make a story that left me in giggles. And besides, Dragon gets a redemption arc. So, if you loved The Reluctant Dragon, you'll also adore this one.
Megan
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
so delightful! also I really appreciate the nod to a D&D party halfway through c:
Jason
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Seemed to take a bit too long to get to the resolution, but it was entertaining and funny all the way through, so it's forgivable. I love Pizzoli's drawings as usual.
Tina
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wonder-years
Adorable!
brea
Easily one of the cutest books I have ever read.

I might actually need to own this!
Michele Knott
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
A perfect read aloud because it is so doggone funny.
Rachel
Jun 08, 2018 added it
Shelves: state-award
“Dragon was Terrible. Naturally, dragons have a bit of terrible in them because they’re dragons after all. But THIS dragon? Super terrible.” What makes something terrible? [have children respond, listing terrible things] The dragon in this book is terrible, he does things like stealing candy from baby unicorns! Isn’t that just terrible? Let’s turn the page and see if anyone can tame this terrible dragon.
(Read some of the text to engage attention) By reading the first lines, it helps the childre
Katelyn
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This fun to read story is about a dragon who crushes flowers and makes baby unicorns cry (honestly, that's terrible). The dragon is defeated by a boy who wins him over by reading a story about brave dragons and evil knights. I love the humor. My just turned 3 year old enjoys this, but an older child will get the humor more. We'll definitely get this one again.
Garrett
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
If you're like, "Oh, cute! A kid's book about being rude, how rude could this dragon possibly get?":

He spits on someone's cupcake.

Then he

steals

a baby

unicorn's

candy.

This dragon is a total jerk.
Nancy Kotkin
Love the humorous comments about dragon's poor manners. It would have been nice to see the villagers make a bit more progress than the knights did, though having the child triumph in the end, especially through reading, is a sweet victory.
Katy
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
Honestly, this book is amazing (and hilarious). Great for any age. Will save for a future storytime.
Brooke
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun and funny book about a dragon!
Susie
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Loved the idea that it was finally a book that tamed the dragon.
Anna
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this in very much the same vein as "Dragons Love Tacos." The humor felt similar. I enjoyed that reading ultimately saved the day :)
Gina
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty cute, and I think a good fit for rambunctious kids who don't mean to be naughty but end up doing it a lot anyway (which is probably a pretty large percentage).
Cat
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one! I was in need of dragon stories for a preschool story time and read through maybe 20 books. This was an easy pick for one of the books! Dragon was tamed! great illustrations!
Rachelle
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Cute story of a terrible dragon turned good.
Melanie
A village has a terrible dragon problem. The King invites knights to come tame the dragon. When that fails, the village people invite anyone to come help tame the dragon. That doesn't work. At this point readers are introduced to a boy who writes a story. When he's done writing the story, he sits under a tree and begins to read it out loud. The dragon becomes engrossed and even when many townspeople crowd around, the dragon remains to hear the rest of the story. In the end the dragon learns to b ...more
Samantha
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A disrespectful dragon torments a kingdom so much so that the king offers a reward to anyone who can tame him. When the brave knights fail, the king seeks out the help of anyone and everyone and finds the unlikeliest of heroes to save the day, and with a story no less.

I really like the tone of the storytelling here; it highlights the humor and is perfect for reading aloud with PreK-2.
Beth
How do you tame the savage beast? That's what the king, the knights, and the villagers are trying to figure out. A hilarious story that will no doubt be a read aloud hit. I may even be able to use it as a mentor text about supporting your thesis (just HOW was dragon so terrible?) :)
Joan Marie
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Too cute. Humor is great. How to tame a dragon... Great for book-loving kiddos!
Kelly is the award-winning author of several children’s books, thousands of To-Do lists, and a few recipe cards. Two of her books, Grace For President and The Sandwich Swap, were New York Times bestsellers.

Like most kids who grew up in the 1970’s, Kelly had a pet goat and bought all her clothes from the Sears catalog. Like most teenagers who grew up in the 1980’s, Kelly had really big glasses and

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Jilo (Witching Savannah #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Line (Witching Savannah, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Void (Witching Savannah, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Girl on a Wire (Cirque American #1)
  • One Rainy Night