Start by marking “Sargasso of Space (Solar Queen Series, Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Sargasso of Space (Solar Queen Series, Book 1)

Sargasso of Space (Solar Queen #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  1,318 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
"Worlds For Sale"! was the startling cry that electrified Dane Thorson of the space trader Solar Queen. But who'd be crazy enough to buy the newly discovered planet? The data is sealed: the planet could be a treasure trove or a radioactive desert - and only a crew as desperate as that on the Solar Queen would risk such a gamble. Somewhere out there, far beyond the Milky Wa ...more
Published November 1st 1981 by Ace Books (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Sargasso of Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sargasso of Space

Sandy
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sargasso of Space" is the opening novel in Andre Norton's so-called "Dane Thorson series," and is a fine introduction to the books that follow. In this first volume we meet Dane Thorson, a young cargo-apprentice who is assigned (by mechanical Psycho selection) to the trader ship Solar Queen. The crew of the Queen pools its earnings and wins an entire planet, sight unseen, at auction. (Perhaps Ebay will be conducting auctions such as this in 50 or so years!) The crew then explores this strange p ...more
Наталья
Я не знаю, что такого в этой книге, но прочитав в юности, я перечитывала ее потом не менее 10 раз.

И только сейчас я увидела, что это целая серия! Перечитываю в н-цатый раз и бегом за продолжением.

П.С. О да, и снова кайф!
Ints
Šī savulaik man bija ļoti iemīļota grāmata, lasījis esmu reizes piecas, un praktiski sižetu zinu no galvas. Protams, no grāmatas atcerējos tikai piedzīvojumu daļu un japāņu nindzju Muru. Izvēloties nākamo “Fantastikas pasaulē” sērijas grāmatu, nolēmu izvēlēties savu bērnības favorītu un pie reizes atsvaidzināt sev atmiņā grāmatas varoņus.

Federācijā ietilpst simtiem zvaigžņu sistēmu. Galvenais ekonomikas dzinējspēks ir tirdzniecība. Bez tirdzniecības kuģiem planētas paliktu izolētas un neizpētīta
Amanda
Apr 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back in the 1950s, many writers were churning out space adventure books in response to the increasing interest in space travel. Most of them stunk. This one didn't. Yes, it features an all-male cast of tough characters, but the writing is up there to Ms. Norton's usual standard. Mary Alice Norton, a librarian, began writing boys' adventure novels, but to keep her gender from becoming an issue, used the pen names Andrew North and Andre Norton. Which amuses me no end, because when I read my first ...more
Hilcia
First published in 1955, Sargasso of Space is the first book of the Solar Queen series. It introduces Dane Thorson as a young man just graduated and chosen by a Psycho computer machine as apprentice-Cargo-Master to join the 12 crew members of the slightly battered Solar Queen, a Free Trader ship. Their space adventure begins when the crew pool all their money together to enter a blind auction and win the ten year trading rights to D-rated planet Limbo. After opening the sealed information packet ...more
Deby Fredericks
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I fondly remember some of the later books in this series, but I hadn't read this one. Got it at a yard sale. It's a keeper!

The story is vintage Norton. A protagonist of humble origins sets out to make an honest living and finds all kinds of trouble. The action is non-stop, though sometimes psychological rather than physical. The characters are somewhat simple, but that works because it's a relatively large cast. Everyone gets their moment to shine, and the free traders even make a good score.
Tom King
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Proper swashbuckling sci-fi

I grew up an Andre Norton fan. This was just the sort of Norton adventure I remember. Proper ending and all - not all the pseudo postmodern endings that spoiled my appetite for SF later on. I gave it a five not so much for its literary value but as a counter to the snooty purists who will inevitably look down their collective noses at such low brow fare. Thanks Andre for all the space fun. ;-)
Serena
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I told myself I wouldn't start the Solar Queen books until I finished the Time Traders but when it comes to Andre Norton, I just can't help myself it seems.

This was a all-boy ship crew, but Miss Norton's clear defining of their personalities made it pleasant. It mostly revolves around three young boys, Dane Thorson, the main character, along with Ripley Shannon and Ali Kamil. They have to learn to work together, or their first time on Limbo might be their last.
Andrea
One of Norton's strongest SF books, Sargasso of Space puts us firmly on the side of the 'little guy' independent trader, the Solar Queen, aiming to make a profit within the rules, up against the bottomless pockets of the large trading combines.

With an excellent combination of comradeship, mystery and adventure, this is a quick and engrossing read. The only mar is the usual issue with Norton's early work - women don't exist.
Kelley
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, space-ship, kindle
I have been an avid reader of Andre Norton works for years but I never got to read this book till now. It is odd to finally read the first book in a series years after you read all the others. It is a wonderful space adventure from the golden age of sci-fi. I think it was a excellent beginning to a series I have loved for years.
Denis
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Когда искал данную книгу, узнал что Андре Нортон – это женщина.
А после прочтения могу теперь сказать, какое именно произведение было взято за основу мультфильма "Тайна третьей планеты". ;)

Да, вот так вот все и выясняется!
Sieg
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book a while ago when I read English books translated. However, it was Strugatskies translation which made it quite readable. Since I have tried the original works and they somehow were not very nice. Maybe my tastes changed, maybe the translation actually made the book better.
alansplace
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fine classic space opera!
Nikita
Started off quite slowly, but when the action started, couldn't stop reading, the mystery just compelled me to read it
Imota
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sargasso of Space" is a vintage science fiction novel of the space opera subgenre, quite popular in the 1950s. The novel appeals to the Young Adult readers, especially males. However, the older readers may enjoy it as well. This is a typical novel of Alice Mary Norton who mainly writes under the pen name Andre Norton.

Using the strong literary criteria, one can argue that "Sargasso of Space" is an entertaining novel with some weaknesses. Some characters and situations are introduced, but they a
Jena and Mick Stute
Certainly an old book but a classic author that helped define the genre. There's no other way to put it: this is a fun read. Does it show it's age? Yeah. I think the worst case being "crax" as portrayed near the end, but overall not a big problem. It has that adventure feel to it, like the an exploration story. Having just finished a Clive Cussler book, I'd have to say I enjoyed Norton's take on adventure far more than his even that is if 15 years older.

It hooked me early. I started in a Friday
LadyCroft86
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sargasso of Space was fun and exciting, a good, classic sci-fi book. The plot was pretty good, a planet of wrecked spaceships, alien technology and space pirates, makes for an exciting action-packed read. The only complaint that I had with the book was that the characters were all pretty one-dimensional and flat. There is nothing really to distinguish them except their race and their jobs on the ship. Norton also made things a bit confusing by using a character's two names, first and last, inter ...more
Peter
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
My favourite sci-fi reads are usually those that present a plausible, possible future with interesting ideas about technology, culture, etc. Sargasso of Space presented very little of this. While there were a few ideas about alien life forms, the sci-fi part was mostly of the B-movie, bubble gum sort: blaster guns, rockets with fins and young men excited about space travel. Nonetheless, there was enough mystery and suspense to make the book a worthwhile read!
Jeff Dickison
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic fifties sci-fi, this book probably deserves to have a 4.5 rating. Andre Norton was the beginning of my enjoyment of science fiction when I was a teenager and this book is a winner. What a wonderfully imaginative world Norton renders here. Highly recommended to science fiction fans.
Tessa in Mid-Michigan
Action adventure. Fair. Lots of typos in this ebook edition.
Alton Motobu
Play on words - there is a region in the Atlantic Ocean, called the Sargasso Sea, which supposedly lures passing ships to doom. In this early Norton novel, there is a planet that seems to lure unsuspecting spaceships to crash, then unscrupulous characters loot the ships for profit. Spaceship Solar Queen investigates and finds that a mad scientist from earth is behind it. Nonsensical and illogical but fun-to-read fantasy from the 1950s.
Mike
Andre Norton was one of the first, if not the first, SF authors I read, at the age of ten or eleven. Our school library had several of her books, including this one and its sequels, and I read them multiple times and loved them. When I saw that it was cheap on Amazon, I picked it up, wondering how well it would stand up to an adult re-reading.

As a story, it stood up surprisingly well. I went in expecting exactly what I got: a pulpish space opera boys' adventure. I use the term "boys' adventure"
Helen
Oct 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished it, and it was the second time I read this book. When I read it at 10 years or so, I remember I was SO IMPRESSED with the plot twists and the idea of the Limbo planet itself. So I wanted to re-read it and see if I would be that impressed now.
First, I didn't really remember much of the first time, so the reading wasn't that spoiled for me. I admire all Andre Norton's ideas, and for 1955 I believe it's a totally rad book. But...
As I re-read the book, I realized it was stretching ou
Derek
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andre Norton wrote this under her pseudonym "Andrew North" in 1955. (Of course, "Andre Norton" was already a pseudonym, her real name was "Alice Mary Norton.")

It's your basic 1950's science fiction novel -- a rocket full of professional space traders land on a mysterious planet and find adventure -- but it's written by Andre Norton, so it's also a tightly-plotted adventure. There are some fun twists and turns along the way, and Norton does an admirable job of attempting to make the crew diverse.
Juliana Rodrigues
Dane is a newly graduated cargo-apprentice and was designed to work with the Solar Queen crew.
To be a treader isn't some thing Dane thought about it, but once accepted by the captain Jellico, Dean began working at the Queen ship and one of his first fly sent they all to a auction meeting where they acquired the exploration right of a new discovered planet.
Limbo, the planet in question, appears at first a dead world, with not commercial value, but the adventures that the Queen crew would experien
Maria
Абсолютно фантастически интересная книга! Я была удивлена, что роман был впервые издан в 1955 году.
Рада, что есть продолжение (отложу или на отпуск или на депрессивную осень).

Если кратко, то выпускника (торговой службы) направляют работать помощником на космическом корабле "Королева Солнца". Команда выигрывает аукцион на торговлю и исследование новой планеты. Вот отсюда и начинается весь интересный сюжет.
Роман динамичный, главный герой не тупит, сюжет интересный и не затянутый. Отдельным плюсом
Althea Ann
Picked this up mainly 'cause it's such a cool-looking old pulp paperback (1955). The contents are just about exactly what you'd expect from the packaging - it's definitely a 'boys'' adventure story in space... from back in the day when rockets were tall, pointy, and powered by jet fuel, and new planets were open to capitalist exploitation by bold and manly explorers....
Our Hero graduates from the Space Academy and is assigned to the Solar Queen, a Free Trader ship. The crew buys trading rights
Randy
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andre Norton has over 300 titles to her name, and it seems to me that if anyone enjoys science fiction it's important to include her in your reading. This book was written in 1955, so some of the action isn't scientifically "up to snuff" and some of the dialog is a little dated. The plot was well done and contains a lot of action. I enjoyed reading it.

Alice Mary Norton (aka Andre Norton, Andrew North, Allen Weston) was born in Cleveland, OH, in 1912 and died in 2005. She was the first woman to b
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read. The formatting of the digital copy wasn't great, so it made for some confusion here and there (No section breaks where I suspect there should have been some), but that was easy to look beyond after a fashion. This isn't quite as good as PLAGUE SHIP, but it's a good, old-fashioned space opera sci-fi that's fun to read and easy to get into. I'd recommend it to someone looking for a space travel sci-fi that doesn't fall under the stereotypes of Star Wars and Star Trek. (It's al ...more
Owen Curtsinger
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The prose feels pretty clunky, either because this is one of Norton's first novels or simply because a sci fi novel written more than a half century ago must feel antiquated to today's reader. Ultimately that doesn't matter. It's a good space yarn, and I inhale this stuff like frosted flakes. Even with a predictable plot or almost no character development, I still get hooked on sentences like "and through the darkness Dane saw the most surprising discovery of this strange planet!" Cliffhangers! ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: "Sargasso of Space" (Solar Queen) by Andre Norton 1 1 Jun 19, 2014 06:06PM
  • Hunting the Corrigan's Blood (Cadence Drake, #1)
  • Fury
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
  • The Galaxy Primes
  • The Ruins Of Mars (The Ruins of Mars, #1)
  • Seas of Venus (Seas of Venus, #1-2)
  • Reality Check
  • Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side
  • Masters of Everon
  • Overdraft: The Orion Offensive
  • Only Human (The Targon Tales, #2)
  • Georgia on My Mind and Other Places
  • Planets of Adventure
  • Mars Evacuees (Mars Evacuees #1)
  • Deathworld 1
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • Rosetta (Jim Meade, Martian P.I. #1)
  • The Humanoid Touch (Humanoids, #2)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Solar Queen (7 books)
  • Plague Ship (Solar Queen, #2)
  • Voodoo Planet (Solar Queen, #3)
  • Postmarked the Stars (Solar Queen, #4)
  • Redline The Stars (Solar Queen, #5)
  • Derelict for Trade (Solar Queen, #6)
  • A Mind for Trade (Solar Queen, #7)