Start by marking “Shark Detective!” as Want to Read:
Shark Detective!

Shark Detective!

Perfect for fans of Love Monster and Dragons Love Tacos, this sweet and funny story about an unexpected friendship will delight creatures of all ages.

During the day, Shark lived a lonely life in the big city . . . but at night, he dreamed of being a detective. When a kitty goes missing, could it be time for Shark's dreams to finally come true?
Published September 1st 2015 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Shark Detective!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shark Detective!

Start your review of Shark Detective!
Jon Nakapalau
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really fun book that teaches children to look a little deeper before you come to conclusions.
Ariel Cummins
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is filled with bold lines and bright colors, but even more than that, it's filled with sly humor. Every single spread brought something to chuckle about, from Shark's little slippers to the facial expressions of the cat he encounters (spoiler alert, I guess?). I'm really surprised with the strength of the plot in this book - it's definitely short enough to read aloud in a preschool setting, but has a nice beginning, middle, and end.

One of my favorite picture books of the season!
Erin
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a freaking adorable book! It's about a lonely shark that loves to watch detective shows. One day he sees a lost kitten poster and it changes his life. The author shows how serious this shark is about being a detective. He does tai chi and tries to get into the mindset of the missing kitty. I highly recommend this to anyone with toddler aged kiddos. My son has read it several times since we checked it out last week.
David Freudenburg
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I dare you to read this book without smiling, or perhaps even laughing out loud. It is a cute, wonderful, cozy, feel-good adventure for children. The illustrations are in a cartoon style, which only serves to make the book appropriate for ANY age! I send out gratitude and appreciation to Jack and Miles, two guys who apparently know a good book when they read it, for recommending it to me. The story even includes a scene in a library. Yay!
Daphne
I love this book! It's hilarious and touching, with many nods to detective fiction. Love it! Sequel, please.
Jasmine
SHARK DETECTIVE. During the day he lives in a hotel. BY NIGHT HE IS A DETECTIVE. Will he ever get to be a detective by day, or will people always run away from him?
Jj
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yep, this one is perfect for not only shark storytime and detective storytime, but also friendship storytime. STORYTIME TRIFECTA ACHIEVED!
Eden Grey
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shark loves watching detective shows and eating potato chips. One day Shark sees a flier for a missing cat and he decides to become Shark Detective! He spends all day searching for the missing cat, but no one he talks to will help. What is a Shark Detective to do? Find out by reading the heartwarming and hilarious "Shark Detective" by Jessica Olien!

The illustrations are bold and bright, taking up entire 2 page spreads that readers won't be able to look away from. The dialogue is short and to the
Ramya
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-un-lit
I love the mystery and detective genre. This was adorable and ... {;-) not really a mystery but more a heartwarming story of finding love and a family. {spoiler alert}. Even more adorable my 5 y.o. nephew read this to me!
Melissa
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My husband, naturally, spotted this gem in a Barnes & Nobles and we had to read it immediately! It is as hilarious as one can guess just from the title and cover :) Shark lives in a hotel in the big city but dreams of being a detective - so he sets out one night to solve a crime. The only problem? Everyone runs screaming away from him! Will he ever be able to solve the case of the missing cat??

I really loved the big, bold illustrations, and was delightfully surprised by the well put together plo
Jennifer W
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Totally cute! I would buy this for my nieces and nephews.

Glad I took it home instead of reading it in the library, it cracked me up!
Lisa Boyd
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Love this book! I really want to be a shark detective for Halloween. I really like the easy narrative and bright but uncomplicated illustrations in this book. Also, cats.
Christina
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kiddos
Sharklock meets his Watson! Epic friendship ensues. Adorbs.
Paula Hollohan
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love stories like this one. Buy this for your classroom library and enjoy it with your students when you get a chance and laugh with them. K-3.
Susan
This is a cute book that has been a hit with two years of kindergarteners.
Gina
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The storytelling worked really well. The pictures are cute, and there is a charming level of enthusiasm among the characters.
Hilda
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
During the day, Shark lived a lonely life in the big city...but at night, he dreamed of being a detective.

What a delightful book. What a strong beginning to a children’s book. (view spoiler)
Krissy Neddo
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok, yes sharks and kittens do not... cannot live in the same habitat! But that's what makes this the perfect book for a paired fiction/nonfiction book comparison about sharks!! Laugh out loud funny! Smiles lines on my face! My students loved reading the speech bubbles("But I'm a vegetarian!") and re-reading to find the fiction and facts in this one! (What was it that we read about a shark's nose?) And how can I not resist a shark that heads to the library to do some research!! We need a sequel!
S
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Really funny read aloud though I had to bite my tongue the entire time to keep from saying "Land Shark!!"

Shark has always wanted to be a detective - just like the one's he's seen on TV - but when he sees a 'Missing Kitty' poster and decides to take a shot at being one, people respond really strangely to a shark asking for a kitty.

Will Shark become the detective he always dreamed of or will he just cause everyone to run away screaming in terror?
Tim Johnson
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Tim by: M
Okay, first off, a shark and a kitten cannot occupy the same biome. It just doesn't work. So if they are underwater, the kitten must drown or be eaten. If they are on land, the shark must suffocate and be eaten. Plus, sharks lack the opposable thumbs necessary to even hold a magnifying glass. Books like this will just completely ruin kids knowledge of zoology.

It was kind of cute though. . . in a don't give up no matter what people say kinda way.
Erin
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wish this had been around for my Mystery Storytime over the summer. A fun, simple story about a shark with detective ambitions.
Leo
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
BEST CHILDREN'S BOOK I'VE EVER READ.
Katy
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime3-5
WONDERFUL NONSENSE
Villain E
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This reads like a book actually written by a kid. Shark lives in the city and fantasizes about being a great detective. He sees a missing cat poster and decides to try. He goes around asking questions and all the humans are like "Aaah, it's a shark!" and run away. Through no actual detective work, shark finds the cat, who has a mystery of his own to solve. They bond and have a big old happy ending.

There's no internal logic about why a shark is walking around out of the water, why he's the only
Vannessa Anderson
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth-children
Shark Detective is a story I’m sure kids will enjoy. Shark wanted to be a detective. Shark got his chance we he saw a picture of a missing kitten on a pole. He believed to find the kitty he would have to disguise himself as a kitty, sniff like a kitty and think like a kitty to do this he went to the library to research exactly how to become to a kitty. The outcome was totally unexpected but enjoyable.
Mikayla Presley
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Picture Book
Awards: n/a
Audience:Pre k-1
This is a fiction picture book because it has a talking animal is illustrated.
The colors of this book are mainly dark and have bright pops of colors like yellow, red, grey, and white. This makes the book look more dynamic and the dark colors add mystery.
I would use this book to teach interjections in a read-aloud because the book is very good about showing different forms of interjection like fear, disgust, and excitement.
Catherine
This is a very humorous book that might make a great read loud for astute young children. I think my first graders will laugh out loud at it, but not all of them will understand the humor. This will still enjoy the book, but it is clever enough to be beyond the grasp of very young listeners.
Liz Todd
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Not a great story for inferring (as shelved), but perfect introduction to what a detective does! Kids will enjoy this one!
The Brothers
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: detectives, pets, cats, lost, sharks
An odd little story of a lonely shark who decides to become a detective to find a lost cat.

Illustrations are ok.
Miss Ryoko
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-book, plays
Actual rating: 1.5

I didn't loathe this book enough to give it a 1 start rating, but this book is no good. Nothing about it is any good
« previous 1 3 next »

• Hello Lighthouse
  • Piranhas Don't Eat Bananas
  • Bear Came Along
  • I say OOH You say AAH
  • A Big Guy Took My Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #19)
  • I Do Not Like Books Anymore!
  • Spencer's New Pet