Jump to ratings and reviews

Loved and Lost

Set in the fictitious British seaside town of Humburley, Abigail Milan, now 86, regales her home health aide with her younger self’s story of how she meets her first love, Allen Marco Eaton. Abby tells a story that breaks taboos, bristles with the electricity of first love and physical passion. Her tale is one of love and heartbreak that will take you on an emotional journey not to be missed.

278 pages, Kindle Edition

First published December 7, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (7%)
1 star
1 (7%)
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews
Profile Image for Rosie Amber.
Author 0 books113 followers
February 21, 2015
Loved and Lost is a memoir narrated by eighty-six year old Abigail Milan. Abby tells Carrie, her carer, about the few years of her teenage life when she experienced a great first love to a boy she believed was her soul mate, we as the reader are like a fly on the wall listening in to the tale.

Full of teenage hormones and attitude we meet Abby and Allen in 1994, they quickly become inseparable in the intense first love of teenagers and go through many highs and lows with several break-ups. Abby is jealous of Al's girl friends and he in turn doesn't like her mixing with other boys. Throw in underage drinking, a sex life that leads to an unplanned pregnancy, plus and a social life that many teenagers follow.

Abby tells Carrie about these couple of years in infinite detail remembering all the arguments, phone calls, anxiety and accusations as if it were yesterday. For these teenagers it was the be all and end all of life, yet Abby went on to live another seventy years. She'll not forget Al and the love she had for him.

This book hovers across the YA and NA genres, at sixteen the characters are a little young for the new adult genre, yet the underage drinking and sex scenes are not really for the young adult market. The story ended a little abruptly for me and didn't return to Abby and her carer for any summary or reason for the whole memoir storyline.
Profile Image for Holly.
105 reviews135 followers
May 24, 2015
Originally reviewed for Bookaholic Confessions

Loved and Lost sees eighty six year old Abigail Milan reminiscing about her true love and first real relationship with her boyfriend Allen. Abigail charts their relationship from when they first clapped eyes on each other as sixteen year olds at the local arcade and all of the ups and downs their relationship experienced once they got together.
Abigail is telling the story to her carer, Carrie, and you as the reader are completely engrossed in the secrets Abigail is spilling as you feel like a fly on the wall, overhearing all of the deepest and darkest feelings that she went through with Allen as a teenager.

Loved and Lost is a delightful, realistic and emotional tale of what it feels like when you fall in love for the first time. Abby and Al got together during the 90s and as someone who grew up during that decade I loved the classic 90s references that Allison Christie included in the story. (Live and Kicking! Spice Girls perfume!)
Abby and Al’s relationship was very real in the sense that they experienced the emotions that most young lovers probably do. There was arguments, jealousy, accusations, lies, punch-ups, pregnancies and heartbreak. Ok, maybe this is young love in the extreme, but I’ve no doubt that there will be parts of their relationship that you will be able to relate to.
The way that Allison Christie portrays the relationship between Abby and Al will have you completely under the spell of romance yourself. I wanted things to work out for these two so badly. I felt their euphoria when they were together, I felt their separation anxiety when they were apart and the whole-encompassing feelings that come with a relationship of wanting to be with that person every hour of every day.
However, when these two characters fight, boy, do they fight. I’m going to be honest, Al had a tendency to be a bit of an idiot. I didn’t know what he was playing at half the time and I wish he’d just decide what he wanted and stop messing everyone around. Abby was no angel but some of the things that she put up with from Al were crazy.
Loved and Lost is one of those books that will hold your attention right up until the very last page. It’s dramatic, exciting and you’ll constantly be wondering if these two will end up together in the end. All we know is that Abby is know in her 80s, but whether Al is a part of her life in any way or not remains to be seen…
I wasn’t expecting the end to jump up on me as quickly as it did, but I am hoping that we get another installment from Allison. I would love to read more about these characters and find out what happens in the next chapter of their lives. (Pretty please, Allison??) From the way things are left I keep telling myself that there MUST be more. THERE JUST MUST.

A juicy and engaging read that will certainly bring back one or two memories from relationships of your own and the sheer intensity of love.
Profile Image for Karen Mace.
1,775 reviews65 followers
March 6, 2015
Received a copy of this from the author in return of an honest review.

this is the tale of Abigails first love as she recalls the highs and lows of that time to her carer and what a ride she takes us all on!! She describes clearly every single moment and emotion from the first time she laid eyes on Al to the low points of the break ups - and there are a few! Was written in such an interesting way that you just keep wanting to read to find out more and the only downside was the very sudden ending that has left me wanting to know more!! So i hope there'll be a follow up as I'd love to know the next chapter of Abigails life!

highly recommended for all those who want to remember those first love emotions - the good and the bad!!
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.