Start by marking “Adamant (Alliance, #1)” as Want to Read:
Adamant (Alliance, #1)

Adamant

(Alliance #1)

The Inter-World Alliance is the only force standing between Earth and the terrifying monsters of offworld. But even the Alliance can’t control magic…

Ada Fletcher is twenty-one, keeps a collection of knives in her room, and lives under the Alliance's radar, risking her life to help refugees from a devastating magical war on her homeworld hide on the low-magic Earth. But whe
ebook
Published March 2015

To ask other readers questions about Adamant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adamant

Start your review of Adamant (Alliance, #1)
Sandra "Jeanz"
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it

INITIAL THOUGHTS
I joined the Emma L. Adams street team, and I have promoted some of Emma's other titles on my blog too, so I thought it was about I read at least one of her books! What do I expect from the book? Well the blurb makes me really interested in reading this one, I like a strong lead kick-butt female and that description seems to fit Ada well.

MY REVIEW
I received this book directly from the author as I am part of her street team "Emma's Alliance" in exchange for my honest review. The c
Lola
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review

Once I read the blurb from Adamant I knew I had to read this. Adamant is easily my favourite book by this author, even though her other two books are also really good, Adamant is even better. It has magic, some almost sci-fi elements and an interesting story. It also has a rich world and it had me captivated from the start of the book.

Adamant has a fast paced story, with lots of build-up to the big event towards the end of the book when everythin
Alisha Tarran
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Right, so, I tried to do my own synopsis, but the one on GoodReads and Amazon pretty much says all that can be said and if I tried to do my own it'd be full of spoilers and would leave you with no point in reading the book!

Fair warning, at this point I'm slightly sleep deprived and really tired, so sorry if there's excessive spelling mistakes, my Mac's autocorrect is driving me nuts, and I might ramble and make no sense!

So, I'm a bit of a fan of Emma's, I got to review Darkness Watching from N
Kristy
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was gifted an ARC of Adamant from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first book I've EVER read by Emma, & holly cow what an introduction!! I was qucikly thrown into a different time, an Earth where magic is a known concept & so is people from other worlds, but instead of spaceships for contact, you have a doorway into a passage of doorways... I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Ada's dreams & life, although it never seems to go as she'd planned, secrets come out & then all
Tonja Drecker
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've been looking forward to this ever since I saw the cover (yes, I'm superficial in that way). I wasn't disappointed.

Adamant dives into a multi-verse, magical version of Earth, one where an Alliance is in charge of keeping some sort of balance despite the passages which lead not only to other 'worlds' but plenty of monsters. I had no trouble diving into this fantastical realm and immediately sympathized with the main character, Ada. She's got a good heart and tries to do what's right. She has
Amy Braun
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Great story, awesome characters, tons of action, and fantastic world building. Kay and Ada are both unique and had strong voices, and I loved how they repelled each other but were then forced to work with one another. I didn't see the twist coming and am genuinely looking forward to experiencing the rest of the series. Give it a shot! You won't regret it!
anjuli
Sadly, DNF @56%
I just lost interest and haven't gone back to it. I don't even remember the story I read so far. Way too slow. These days, I just don't have time to dwell on books now. I am moving on....
Debbie
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian I Dig Good Books.

The last thing Ada needs is to be caught in the Passages. Unfortunately, thats what happened and she is now being investigated for a murder she did not commit. Kay is her arresting officier. He is fairly certain she is innocent of the murder of his supervisior, but she WAS in the Passages, and she DID steal a highly volatile product.

Interesting! Verrrra verrra interesting!

Ada is a refugee on Earth, which has a low magic field. Along with
Jessica
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of beta-reading this book, and I fell in love from page 1. Emma has created a fantastic, brilliant world in ADAMANT. The world is filled with raw and authentic characters, whether they're human or centaur or something else entirely. I loved the mystery and action aspects, but I think what I loved the most was how truly unique the magic system is in this book, and how tied together magic is with the multiverse as a whole. And for what it's worth, a multiverse story can be hard ...more
Laura Rueckert
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm so happy to be able to publicly review my critique partner's book! Adamant is a wildly imaginative sci-fi/fantasy mashup, but it is written in a way that feels realistic. The main characters have a rich backstory, and, since this is the first in a series, I was left interested to find out where that backstory will lead. There are some really cool elements—hover boots, magic as a weapon, other worlds connected by passages. I also enjoyed the side characters, especially Markos, Simon, Nell, Je ...more
Jenn
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This was gym reading for me, so free or cheap on the Kindle. I ONLY read it at the gym, but even taking that into account, it took me forever to finish. I read it consistently when I was at the gym, but I felt my attention constantly wandering to anything but this. The story idea was good, but it didn't feel fleshed out well enough. I freely admit that the last 25% I skimmed quite a bit because I just wanted to be done.
Tyrean
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent, character-driven writing drew me into this exciting, action-packed urban speculative fantasy!
Raven_Blake (dreamy addictions)
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars!
Same Review Also Posted In My Blog: Dreamy Addictions

This is a very interesting read! I've read books with alternate universe but I've never read books with multiple universe. So when I first read the blurb, I knew I had to read this book. Like Emma's other works, I enjoyed reading this book but to be honest, it's really not one of my favorites. I'm currently loving her Legacy of flames trilogy and I already fell in love with the first two books in it. Nevertheless, Adam
Eleanor Luhar
I can't remember how I came across this book but I read it on the mobile Kindle app.

It alternates between two narrative voices: Ada and Kay. At first, their two narratives seem completely disconnected but they soon merge together in one single plot.

In this multiverse, there is a sort of political agreement amongst the dozens of different worlds. Ada helps smuggle runaways from other planets onto Earth, while Kay has only just graduated from the Academy and got himself a job at the Alliance. When
Inka
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A different kind of magic

This series is about multiverses and the magic they contain. It's not your typical witches, mages etc although mages are mentioned but the magic is different not something you can control and use at will.
Definitely a different type of fantasy/ magic book but still well worth reading
Sally Lindberg
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent series!!

I about to read book four. I am thoroughly enjoying this series. It has a very creative concept. And even with the "girl gets boy, girls goes crazy at boy, etc(!)" It explores the history of the characters this enriching the stories. Each time I wonder now what , u get a big surprise!
claudia ruddy
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I am not usually drawn to sci-fi or fantasy, but this book pulled me in & didn't let go. The heroine undergoes a voyage of self discovery, finding and accepting her talents. The hero does as well, accepting his role as the son of a powerful man who used him for experimentation before abandoning him. Can't wait to obtain the next volume.
Tracy
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the cover! It took me just a little bit to adjust to the world building, but then I couldn’t put it down. The two main characters reminded me so much of Sunshine, by Robin McKinley, one of my favorite books. So yeah, I really liked this, and I’m eager to read the next one. My one disappointment was the characters’ language.
Yahuhanan (יהוחנן) Yukia (雪亮) Sese (謝) Cuneta
Turn this into a TV series!

I can't believe TV producers has not taken notice of this amazing piece of multiverse! They're trying to get better shows up, this novel series should be at the top of their list!
Brooke
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This author has some real potential, but could use better editing and a lot less bad language.
Ann Zdunczyk
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

Wasn't sure where this was going when I first started reading but I am so glad I stuck with it. I am hooked and ready for more!!
Megan
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book for a sci-fi type of paranormal I guess? I'm not big into sci-fi but it did keep me intrigued...
Impy
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story but found myself increasingly frustrated with the stupid decisions and actions of the main character, Ada.
Denae Christine
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Passages offworld, but the hardest people to find are on Earth

3.5
Bad language. Some hints at inappropriate things.

The back and forth scenes between Ada and Kay worked fairly well. They sounded pretty similar; though they reacted differently to situations. Their meetings were quite coincidental but no less fun. A few actions felt slightly contrived (why did Walker take her to his place? Why did he let her family go?).

The ending did not fulfill reader promises. I think this because I still don't u
Amy Shelton
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian I Dig Good Books.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the Author in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Ada has lived a life close to her adoptive family and a life dedicated to helping those from her home country from a life of certain death. She lives under the radar of the alliance to keep saving lives. Kay chose his path in life expecting to fight monsters and other world creatures. His first week on the job is much more than that. He fi
Undeniably Addicted to Books
RATING: 4 STARS

Ada is this strong female lead that's been living a life of smuggling refugees from Enzar after the Alliance closed off the doors and decided that Enzar was not to be a known part of the multi-verse any longer. It's the only life she knows, as Nell, her guardian took her in and showed her the ways of helping, of not trusting. Ada gains her intelligence within the Alliance through the help of Delta and Skyla, the only people she really trusts outside of her family unit.
The people s
Zita K.
Adamant is certainly easy read, and it is actually very well written. This book harmoniously combines fantasy and sci-fi, and adds a bit of mystery, which are some of my favorite genres. I really like the author's conception of the relationship between the two main characters Ada and Kay and overall characters in this book. The author has also managed to create a fictional world that acts believable unlike many others, and I did not encounter any extreme confusion, as how Emma Adams thought abou ...more
Iza Brekilien
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-dystopian
I need to read the rest !
The story was fast paced, intriguing, the main characters were good, I really loved that story.
My only complain is that I knew very easily who the bad guys were, but apart from that, it was a completely entertaining read.
Chelly
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this. The premise hooked me. It has so many great elements. I liked the characters. Ada and Kay are both interesting, but something was missing for me. It took me until chapter 7 to realize Kay wasn't a girl. *hangs head in shame * so maybe some of the humor was lost on me as well. I guess, for me, the story itself didn't live up to its full potential. Plot elements felt like they were too easily resolved. Kay's magic was supposed to be a big secret but he told everyone about it ...more
Sharon Hughson
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It earns a solid four out of five stars because, even though I could put it down, I looked forward to picking it up again.
Plenty of action in this one, but I didn't have a clear enough understanding of the hero to fall for him (like Ada did). The ending was abrupt and the romance contrived. I'm happy to report all the loose ends for the problem in this story were wrapped up.
I loved the concept of passages between different realms and worlds. I never did fully understand the magical system and wh

• Wicked Deal (Shadow Guild: The Rebel, #2)
  • Queen of Light (Dragon's Gift: The Forbidden Fae #3)
  • Magic Unleashed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #3)
  • Fate of Fire (Dragon's Gift: The Forbidden Fae #2)
  • Midlife Fairy Hunter (Forty Proof, #2)
  • Magic Forged (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #1)
  • Once Bitten (Shadow Guild: The Rebel #1)
  • Queen of the Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae #3)
  • Trial by Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae  #1)
  • Crown of Fire (Dragon's Gift: The Forbidden Fae #1)
  • Spirit of the Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae #4)
  • Betwixt (Betwixt & Between #1)
  • Savage One (Born Wild, #2)
  • Rise of the Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae #5)
  • Grave Magic Bounty (Forty Proof, #1)
  • Dragon Rising (Dragon's Gift: The Sorceress #4)
  • A Governess in the Duke's Darkness
  • The Last Vampire: Book Four (The Last Vampire #4)
I'm Emma, a NYT & USA Today bestselling author, book-hoarder, gamer, and restless dreamer. I write dark fantasy novels, including the Changeling Chronicles, the Legacy of Flames series and the Thief's Talisman trilogy.

*Note: I am not a professional reviewer and I use Goodreads only to record my reading progress. Please don't send me unsolicited review requests.*

Alliance (6 books)
  • Nemesis (Alliance #2)
  • Collision (Alliance, #3)
  • Divided (Alliance, #4)
  • Catalyst (Alliance, #5)
  • Nexus (Alliance, #6)