Start by marking “Be of Good Cheer” as Want to Read:
Be of Good Cheer

Be of Good Cheer

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  29 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Shortly before his crucifixion, the Savior told his disciples: "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33.) In Be of Good Cheer, Elder Marvin J. Ashton, a member of the Council of the Twelve of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, shares his insights about how to be happy. He discusses pure religion, e ...more
Published August 1st 1987 by Deseret Book Company (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Be of Good Cheer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be of Good Cheer

Nolan
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nls-audio
This is a treat to read for so many reasons. It brought back vivid memories of listening to the author deliver some of the same speeches transcribed here. I remember the nonjudgmental soft-spoken way those addresses were delivered; it seems to me that the author actually lived as he encouraged the rest of us to do, and the ability to communicate from such a position of power and respect is huge.

This is a super-short compilation. But it includes some of the author's most well known addresses. In
Nohreen
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love this great little book!

"Being of good cheer makes it possible for us to turn all of our sunsets into sunrises.
With good cheer, carrying our cross can be our ladder to happiness. When Jesus comes into our lives, cheer lights the way. How powerful and comforting is the Savior’s declaration, “In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33.)"
Jenalyn C
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Elder Ashton's remarks and his voice have always been comforting to me. I had the opportunity to learn more about him from his friend Ronald Millett today. Bro. Millett worked at Deseret Book for 30 years and he and his wife Susan spent much time with the Ashtons. The world is full of interesting people!
Barbara Lovejoy
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I always loved Marvin J. Ashton. His talks were always so down-to-earth. Therefore, I was anxious to read this book. It is filled with so much wisdom I want to apply in my life.
Teresakearl
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Just What the world needs, more happiness, less discouragement.
Kathy
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just what I needed! I miss Elder Ashton. He was always to gentle and inspiring. This book is the next-best thing. A great pick-me-up, especially the first several chapters.
Tina
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One great book, for anyone going throught tough times, that has depression or just needs a pick me up. Great reminder of what it is to truly, be of good cheer.
Janice Hastings
Aug 11, 2013
Katie
Oct 05, 2013
193168
Marvin Jeremy Ashton was a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1971 until his death.

Ashton was born in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was the son of Marvin O. Ashton, a prominent local leader of the LDS Church who later became a general authority of the church. The younger Ashton worked in the lumber business as a youth. He graduated from t
More about Marvin J. Ashton...