Start by marking “Step Aside, Pops (Hark! A Vagrant, #2)” as Want to Read:
Step Aside, Pops (Hark! A Vagrant, #2)

Step Aside, Pops

(Hark! A Vagrant #2)

The sequel to the hit comic collection Hark! a Vagrant, which appeared on best of lists from Time, NPR and USA Today; spent five months on the New York Times bestseller list; and won Harvey, Ignatz, and Doug Wright awards.

Cartoonist Kate Beaton returns with all-new sidesplitting comics that showcase her irreverent love of history, pop culture, and literature. Collected fro
Published September 15th 2015 by Drawn and Quarterly (first published September 3rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Step Aside, Pops, please sign up.
Carlos Not enough; send the author an extra $10 for the awesomeness that is this gift. Just sayin', is all.

Sam Quixote
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-comics-2015
Kate Beaton returns with a second collection of strips from her brilliant website, Hark! A Vagrant!, in Step Aside, Pops, and it’s as funny and inspired as the first collection was!

Beaton’s strips range from historical and literary references to superhero comics parodies, to random bits of comedy and riffs on old book/magazine covers, posters and postcards.

Her version of Wuthering Heights is hysterical with permanently scowling lunatic Heathcliff and dim Cathy playing out their demented romanc
Heidi The Reader
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly clever collection of comics with topics ranging from history to literature to pop culture and everything in between.

You don't have to know a thing about Kate Beaton's Hark! A Vagrant to enjoy this book. (I didn't.) And it is so much fun.

Like any great observational comedian, Kate takes idiosyncrasies or exaggerates details to create comic gold.

For instance, here's the dialogue from a comic about the Black Prince and some of his early exploits: "How are you feeling about being a her
Pamela
This evening, I had an epiphany.
Most of my favorite comic book writers and artists are Canadian.

Why is Canada so awesome? I mean, they have poutine and moose and Mounties and politeness and huge ... tracts of land!

Plus, they manage to get along with the Québécois, who are constantly rattling their sabers about seceding etc. but they are still polite about it. None of this Civil War bunkum.

They also have such national comic book treasures as Faith Erin Hicks, Jeff Lemire, and the author of my
Brigid ✩
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've seen Kate Beaton's work online before and always thought it was very funny, so I was happy to get a collection of her comics as a Christmas present! Naturally, I read the whole thing on Christmas day, while seated in the living room surrounded by my family.

I really enjoyed the whole thing and I will definitely re-read it. I love Beaton's style and sense of humor. The only reason I give four stars instead of five is honestly more my fault--I didn't understand like a third of the jokes becaus
Ashley
I feel super bad about this review. Kate Beaton deserves my best words, because she is a wonderful, smart, creative genius who produces such sassy and perfect art.

But I super read this in the middle of the night during a Read-a-thon, and other than remembering that I laughed frequently, loudly, and obnoxiously, I remember NOTHING about this book. I mean, the entirety of my oh so helpful review after reading was, "This book wasn't long enough." THANKS A BUNCH, ASHLEY.

If you aren't familiar with H
Vanessa
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Oh Kate Beaton. Unfortunately for me, this collection just wasn't as good as the previous one, Hark! A Vagrant. That's not to say that this is a bad collection, as there was plenty in here to love, but it just wasn't as laugh out loud as the first book, and my expectations were rather high.

My favourite things about this were the comics about Wuthering Heights and straw feminism... and pretty much any of the literature ones naturally. However, some of the historical comics I couldn't really under
Sesana
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Kate Beaton. Her comics, mostly about classic literature and history, are just so completely right up my alley that she would have to be pretty terrible for me to not like her work at least a little. And she's very good. I'm reasonably sure that most if not all of these strips were originally available in her webcomic, but it was great to see some of my favorites again, and the format of this book is really nice.
Elizabeth
i love how as Kate Beaton is making fun of history she is also schooling us.

Dov Zeller
I tried reading this book a while back and couldn't get into it. Very glad I gave it another try. Some of the comics I don't get, and perhaps it's because I am not knowledgeable enough about history and literature and literary history. For the most part these are quirky, delightful, fucked-up fun.

If there is a book you love or a man, woman, god, rebellion, author or novel you idealize, don't go looking to Kate Beaton to help you uphold your un-acidified notions of progress, splendor and human no
Brandon Forsyth
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"You see me rollin up pops you step aside." Let the above serve as notice: everyone better get outta Kate Beaton's way.
This book made me laugh on almost every page. Beaton isn't just razor-sharp; she's a diamond-tipped drill (maybe kind of like the one in ARMAGEDDON? A big, powerful one, anyways), mercilessly cutting through both the flawed politics of gender representation and the absurdities of Nancy Drew with equal wit. You haven't lived until you've read 'Straw Feminists'. Or 'Strong Female
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
Definitely not as good as the collection that precedes it. I adored the Chopin & Liszt strips in the beginning, giggled at the Georges Danton and founding fathers ones, and of course I loved the Nemeses too... But the rest of it just wasn't as funny as some of Beaton's other comics. Some strips were so far off being funny that it was genuinely confusing- like that bizarre Cinderella retelling. I don't even know what the fuck that was.

Good for a few giggles, but if you really want to laugh un
Meghan
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: seq-art, xx
Every time a blog I love a lot gets published in book form, I find myself wishing vehemently that a greater percentage of the published material was new, as in, not previously published online. It's frustrating to pay $20 for a free webcomic. That said, of course, Beaton's the best, Hark! is awesome and everything is phenomenal.

My favorites are the Ida B. Wells strips. "You are loud and say uncomfortable things and it is Victorian times!"
Mike
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hark! A Vagrant is a delightful and quirky webcomic (which has sadly discontinued). It delightfully pokes fun at such wide ranging topics as classic literature, Canadian History, super heroes, and random underappreciated historical figures (especially badass women) among many, many other topics. They are typically short, delightful, and offer a... unique take on the subject matter. While the art isn't the highest quality, its rough and whimsical style really lends itself well to the comic's tone ...more
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
I finished this last night, but I was too lazy to review it so I passed out. Whoops.

Anyways, I don't have any lovely comics to put up here because, again, I'm too lazy. Sue me. Please don't. This was absolutely hilarious, and just had the same humor as the first one. It's literally right up my alley. Historical humor and subtle jokes about things. Even stuff I didn't quite get, I still laughed my ass off while reading, to the point where I almost cried.

My definite favorite is the "Nemesis" skit.
Amar Pai
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kate Beaton is the best. I LLOL'd (literally laughed out loud) many times while reading this. Also: a while back I was complaining how there's way too many comics about angsty 20-something bi-coastal urban hipsters, and hardly any comics about INTERESTING people. Beaton is not guilty of this; her comics are about literary characters, historical political figures, Ida B. Wells, Alexander Pushkin... mwah.

Also I loved the extended riff on the nasty boy from Janet's Jackson's "Nasty". St. Jude's Ho
K.
I have followed Kate Beaton's work since I first saw her comic Hark! A Vagrant on LJ many moons ago. I'm still holding out hope that one day I can just marry her sense of humor.

As is her wont, Beaton has combined major historical giants (Napoleon, in a manner of speaking) with much lesser known figures (Average Medieval Peasants™) to round out this collection. It's ALL good, but her Nancy Drew will always be my fave.

Ferdy
The comics about pop culture, books and feminism were funny. The historical comics were quite good as well, they would have been more amusing though if I had had more knowledge for those specific historical events/figures.
Chihoe Ho
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Napoleon Bonaparte, Kate Beaton's proclaimed unofficial mascot, makes a brief appearance in "Step Aside, Pops" but the star is truly Tiny Hermione. Yes, that Hermione. Or perhaps Wonder Woman or Nancy Drew, and let's not forget Strong Female Characters and Straw Feminists. There's a thread through all Beaton's comic strips; the humour and wit, the commentary, the history, the classic literature and the contemporary pop-culture - there is something for everyone. Beaton gets her inspiration from b ...more
Elizabeth
Exactly as I expected, this was hilarious from start to finish. Hark! A Vagrant is easily my favourite webcomic, and this is an excellent collection. I was worried the first collection would have used up all the best ones, but this was just as great.

If you're looking for a comic strip that makes use of history, literature, and pop culture in a brilliantly hilarious way, this is the comic for you. It was everything I never knew I needed. Step Aside, Pops is an excellent example of everything tha
Akemi G.
I like Beaton's cartoons, especially the ones about literature. She has a way to capture the essence of a story, or the author, and present it in a snarky but cute manner. So I looked forward to seeing them in print.

But oh . . . the pictures are so small. They just don't have the impact they are supposed to have, and her scribbly text is so hard to read in this size.

I think I just keep checking them online.
Summer
Kate Beaton makes me laugh even if I have no idea what the joke is about. If you are geeky like me and like history, literature, pop culture, random geekyness, etc. you need to read some Hark! A Vagrant. You can start here.
Jasmine
Kate Beaton is a national treasure. Give her all the genius grants. Give her the order of Canada. Give her the order of Nova Scotia. Give her the order of Cape Breton. Give her this piece of my heart that I carved out to show my appreciation.
Kate
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hilarious, sassy, and smart. Check, check, and check.
Hilary Scroggie
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
She had me at Wuthering Heights.
Crowinator
I snort-laughed through this book.

And also I have a sneaking suspicion that Kate Beaton and Mallory Ortberg (The Toast web site; Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary Characters) share whatever part of the brain that's responsible for the comic reinterpretation of paintings, literature, and history.
Martin
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kate Beaton's follow-up volume to Hark! A Vagrant, with the same type of humour.
Hey, why mess with a winning formula?
No 'Mystery Solving Teens' this time around, though :(

Only bad thing about this book? It's over way too quickly!
Maryann
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
She really missed the boat by not including Hamilton in her famous Alexander series, but otherwise I have nothing for love for Kate Beaton. If for no other reason than she makes me google search a lot of historical people. Also, duels. Don't you ever just want to duel?
Vikki VanSickle
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think I could love Kate Beaton more, and then she did an X Files Jane Austen mash-up
Amanda
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I don't know enough about history to appreciate a lot of those jokes. I'm just not sure I gel with Beaton's comedy style. I'm a bit thick sometimes....
Kaylee
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Loved it!! Very witty and entertaining!!! Must read! Highly recommend!

• You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack
  • Oh Joy Sex Toy, Vol. 1
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 4: I Kissed a Squirrel and I Liked It
  • The Case of the Lonely One (Bad Machinery, #4)
  • The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 1
  • SuperMutant Magic Academy
  • An Age of License: A Travelogue
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
  • The Adventures of Superhero Girl
  • Secret Path
  • Be Everything at Once: Tales of a Cartoonist Lady Person
  • Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 1: Hooked on a Feline
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 4: Out of Time
  • Hot Dog Taste Test
  • Super Late Bloomer: My Early Days in Transition
Kate Beaton was born in Nova Scotia, took a history degree in New Brunswick, paid it off in Alberta, worked in a museum in British Columbia, then came to Ontario for a while to draw pictures, then Halifax, and then New York, and then back to Toronto.

Hark! A Vagrant (3 books)
  • Never Learn Anything From History
  • Hark! A Vagrant (Hark! A Vagrant, #1)