Start by marking “The School of Greatness: A Real-World Guide to Living Bigger, Loving Deeper, and Leaving a Legacy” as Want to Read:

When a career-ending injury left elite athlete and professional football player Lewis Howes out of work and living on his sister's couch, he decided he needed to make a change for the better. He started by reaching out to people he admired, searching for mentors, and applying his past coaches' advice from sports to life off the field. Lewis did more than bounce back: He bu ...more
Published October 27th 2015 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about The School of Greatness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The School of Greatness

Start your review of The School of Greatness: A Real-World Guide to Living Bigger, Loving Deeper, and Leaving a Legacy
Alexander Fitzgerald
I hate to give this book anything but a five-star review, because of my respect for Lewis Howes. His podcast is one of the best on the internet, and he is a supremely talented interviewer. Many of his other how-to books are fantastic.

But knowing Lewis Howes can bring it is what makes this book somewhat of a letdown. He works hard to create actionable steps, but many are a little too big with grandiose expectations from the reader.

The stories about people who overcame huge
Christopher Banks
Great book

If you've listened to Lewis Holmes' podcast of the same name as the book, you have an idea of what he's about. This book is the next step in helping people learn that greatness is something we all have within us, but there are area that need to be taken to discover that greatness. I recommend this book for anyone looking to improve their self and who desire to be something more, to be something great.
Marissa Catania Bishop
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!

I've read a bunch of lifestyle/motivation books but I felt like this one really gave me a jump start.

The book covers 8 areas where you can strive for greatness:

5. Master your Body

6. Practice Positive Habits

7. Build a Winning Team

8. Live a life of service

My favorite chapters were Develop Hustle as it made me think that a positive attitude and extra f
Joe
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Lewis Howes is a former all-american athlete and now personal lifestyle coach. In the "School of Greatness", he outlines his philosophy on how to achieve greatness and find success and happiness in your life. Sounds great, but to be honest, the first half of the book was akin to watching that video of Shia Labeouf walk back and forth, flexing his muscles and shouting "Do It!". To be fair, Lewis Howes does proffer some decent life-lessons and advice. Maybe I've read too many self-help books, but ...more
Jay
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For the past few years, Lewis Howes has been hosting a podcast he calls the School of Greatness. During a typical program he will interview an expert on personal development or some related topic. His skill as a podcaster, the quality of the guests, and the value to listeners continue to go through a positive feedback loop.

Many of his guests are authors, trainers and educators--what else would you expect at a school? His goal us to help his listeners develop a lifestyle of their win choosing. N
Zahraa El-Kabengi
What a great book! Lewis Howes goes through how to attain your goals from a his personal successful experience. He goes through what will happen and how important perseverance is. He goes through how important planning and visualisation is as well as who to surround yourself with, how to make best use of various things in order to attain your goals. It's definitely one of my favourite books and I recommend it to everyone!
Venus Blancia
The School of Greatness is a conglomeration of individual's perspective definition of greatness. This book is confidently pushy as I think the real personality of Lewis Howes when one day he said to me, "read my book and tell me what you think". With all the promises about self-motivation and being great; then I believe one out so many note-worthy ideas this book has offered. One can always take his vision into reality by answering these questions:
"Who are you?"
"What do you stand for?"
"Wh/>
"Who
Rusty Cox
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoy Lewis's podcast so I picked up this book. I felt most of it is a lot of cliche stuff about family and working hard mixed with some self congratulating. I did however find the exercises useful.
Dominic Gadoury
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lewis does such a good job at hitting all the points of what makes people Great...especially being in service to others.
Hieu Le
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The pacing of storytelling is a bit too slow for me. Also, the stories used in this book are not really memorable.
Michelle
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Love the authenticity and the stories included in this book which make it an easy read. I've read some personal development books before but I LOVE that this one actually includes exercises that you can start implementing in your life today.

Definitely a journey of self-reflection and insight when you read (which does require you to spend extra time & thought into it to get the most out of it.)
Jaron Dunford
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-business
Notes from The School of Greatness

Like oxygen to a fire, obstacles become fuel for that which was their ambition. Every impediment served to make the inferno within them burn with even greater ferocity.

The impediment to action becomes the action. What stands in the way becomes the way

Every new challenge is likes learning a new language.

Greatness is the survival of your vision across an extended timeline, based on your willingness to do whatever it
Cathy Ferringo
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was much better than I expected. I listened to it on audiobook, read by the author. His communication style is open and non-judgemental. He walks you through 8 areas that he feels if you focus on, you'll achieve greatness. He gives real-life examples of people he knows and those he admires, researched and interviews. I've listened to his podcast and read his blogs before but I found that after reading this I was reaching out to find more content of his. I am definitely a Lewis Howes fa ...more
Emily Moore
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking to more clearly define those "next steps" that they would like to take in business, relationships, work, and fitness. A lot of people have grand aspirations but do not take the time or do not know how to go about defining the necessary steps that they need to take to accomplish those goals. Howes takes the reader through all of those steps so that by the end of the book, you have a game plan for how you would like to proceed. A great, motivat ...more
Tuila
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional truths and guides to help you be your best self!

Lewis shares his truth and things that hes learned from exceptional people in an approachable active book to assist you in your growth and life journey!!

Check him out on his podcast as well @theschoolofgreatness on all great media streaming sites.

Open your mind to other possibilities of living life and seeing yourself. Be challenged to see you you in your truest form!
Allyson Kuentz
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I recently discovered Lewis’ podcast of the same name. This book dives deeper into what he’s all about, helping everyone discover greatness. He provide realistic examples and how they can be immediately applied to your life. I highly recommend if you are looking for some motivation to kickstart your personal growth, business, or new year!
Stephen Bernau
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
INCREDIBLE! Not every part of the book needs to be followed to the letter, but even if you chose to really focus on chapter one, intentionally implemented a few from the rest of the book, and just sat and pondered on the rest, you would be BLOWN AWAY! Great read and I will definitely be subscribing to the podcast!
Meagan
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I found myself flagging page after page with notes to remember. Many points are not shocking, however it's the fact that they are validated and provided with ideas for expanding into your own life that make these points really hit home.
Sharalyn
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Okay...so it did have a lot of information that is valuable for those seeking greatness. I think that it read almost like a large essay, though. He does a lot of quoting his previous work and taking other people's ideas and words. He seems to more relay information.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was very inspirational and really gave me some great ideas about how to improve my life. One of the most important parts is to always have goals and work toward those goals.
Hailey Morgan
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely life changing! READ IT!
Kevin Simpson-verger
Great book! Brings a lot of extraordinary peoples story into the book. Not sure if it's something I would recommend to friends as a MUST READ.
Katie Hutchison
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Read

This is an awesome book that gives real hands on advice that can be used each and every day! Loved it!
Trista Ainsworth
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love all of the stories in this book and the specific exercises that will help move you forward.
Popa Bogdan
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lewis Howes...Man,do I have enough words to express my gratitude towards this powerful,kind,inspiring,empowering human being? Hard to tell,but I will try.So,first of all,this is my first book review so I apologise in advance for any spoilers,beginner mistakes,I just want to hare how this book impacted me and what I have learnt from Lewis.
Lewis is one of the first members of my online mentors squad(Amazing human beings that have had and still have a huge impact on my mindset and the way I
George
I read a lot of this genre and so my bar for what is more than 3 stars is starting to get to be rather high as I gain an appreciation for the scope of this field. A failing I'll admit to is that I cannot exactly put my finger on why this book was "meh, 3 stars" and not four; because: I found the overwhelming majority of Howes' advice, insight, and suggestions to be relevant and a needed voice in society today. Far too many of us, myself included, don't always do the excellent and relevant tasks ...more
Kara
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall, I really liked this book. It was filled with great advice and even though I may have already suspected some of it, it was good to read it from someone who started from the bottom. There are lots of great insights in this book that if I had to recommend it to someone I would. I would also warn them though that there are times when there are more stories than advice.

Sometimes I found it was a little hard to relate as I am not an athlete and do not have an athlete's mind set. I could see
Bogdan Florin
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it

Lewis Howes has a phenomenal podcast. Now he has a book also called in the same way:
The School of Greatness. It’s a personal development book structured in 8 chapters - that are the eight principles of greatness:
#1 Create a vision
#8 Be of service to others

These chapters distill personal
Roy Wang
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
If you're a regular listener of the author's podcast, this book contains very little new information, tips or advice that he hasn't emphasized more than once on his show, which, in all honesty, is a great, inspiring podcast. Basically, if you've already heard of his past struggles from the show or aren't remotely interested in it anyway, the book would probably come across as a collection of self-help cliches, i.e. create a vision for your future, keep hustling, stay healthy and fit, and serve o ...more
*Jasmin B*
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Lewis Howes is immensely successful and immensely remarkable human being who has his own podcast on the world wide web in which he interviews other immensely successful and immensely remarkable human beings, and asks them how, when, and where, they've managed to hit the target and reach the highest level of success imaginable. I was so happy to hear from a close friend of mine that he has written a book and put it on the shelves for the entire world to read, and I couldn't wait to see further in ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Crushing It!: How Great Entrepreneurs Build Their Business and Influence—and How You Can, Too
  • High Performance Habits: How Extraordinary People Become That Way
  • The 10x Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
  • Be Obsessed or Be Average
  • Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable
  • The Millionaire Booklet
  • The Promise of a Pencil: How an Ordinary Person Can Create Extraordinary Change
  • Own the Day, Own Your Life: Optimised practices for waking, working, learning, eating, training, playing, sleeping and sex
  • The Illusion of Money: How Chasing Money Is Stopping You from Living
  • The 5 Second Rule: Transform Your Life, Work, and Confidence with Everyday Courage
  • Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
  • The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph
  • #MAXOUT Your Life
  • MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom
  • The Motivation Manifesto
  • Side Hustle: From Idea to Income in 27 Days
  • The 5 AM Club: Own Your Morning. Elevate Your Life
  • Born for This: How to Find the Work You Were Meant to Do
“In reality, failure is simply feedback. It’s not that you are bad or not good enough or incapable. Failure (or feedback) gives you the opportunity to look at what’s not working and figure out how to make it work.” 10 likes
“John Wooden quote: “You show me your friends, and I’ll show you your future.” 9 likes