Start by marking “The School of Greatness: A Real-World Guide to Living Bigger, Loving Deeper, and Leaving a Legacy” as Want to Read:

When a career-ending injury left elite athlete and professional football player Lewis Howes out of work and living on his sister's couch, he decided he needed to make a change for the better. He started by reaching out to people he admired, searching for mentors, and applying his past coaches' advice from sports to life off the field. Lewis did more than bounce back: He bu ...more
Published October 27th 2015 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about The School of Greatness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The School of Greatness

Start your review of The School of Greatness: A Real-World Guide to Living Bigger, Loving Deeper, and Leaving a Legacy
Alexander Fitzgerald
I hate to give this book anything but a five-star review, because of my respect for Lewis Howes. His podcast is one of the best on the internet, and he is a supremely talented interviewer. Many of his other how-to books are fantastic.

But knowing Lewis Howes can bring it is what makes this book somewhat of a letdown. He works hard to create actionable steps, but many are a little too big with grandiose expectations from the reader.

The stories about people who overcame huge obstacles are fantastic
Christopher Banks
Great book

If you've listened to Lewis Holmes' podcast of the same name as the book, you have an idea of what he's about. This book is the next step in helping people learn that greatness is something we all have within us, but there are area that need to be taken to discover that greatness. I recommend this book for anyone looking to improve their self and who desire to be something more, to be something great.
Mimi (Marissa) Catania Bishop
Loved this book!

I've read a bunch of lifestyle/motivation books but I felt like this one really gave me a jump start.

The book covers 8 areas where you can strive for greatness:

5. Master your Body

6. Practice Positive Habits

7. Build a Winning Team

8. Live a life of service

My favorite chapters were Develop Hustle as it made me think that a positive attitude and extra focus can really make all
Jay
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For the past few years, Lewis Howes has been hosting a podcast he calls the School of Greatness. During a typical program he will interview an expert on personal development or some related topic. His skill as a podcaster, the quality of the guests, and the value to listeners continue to go through a positive feedback loop.

Many of his guests are authors, trainers and educators--what else would you expect at a school? His goal us to help his listeners develop a lifestyle of their win choosing. N
Joe
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Lewis Howes is a former all-american athlete and now personal lifestyle coach. In the "School of Greatness", he outlines his philosophy on how to achieve greatness and find success and happiness in your life. Sounds great, but to be honest, the first half of the book was akin to watching that video of Shia Labeouf walk back and forth, flexing his muscles and shouting "Do It!". To be fair, Lewis Howes does proffer some decent life-lessons and advice. Maybe I've read too many self-help books, but ...more
Zahraa El-Kabengi
What a great book! Lewis Howes goes through how to attain your goals from a his personal successful experience. He goes through what will happen and how important perseverance is. He goes through how important planning and visualisation is as well as who to surround yourself with, how to make best use of various things in order to attain your goals. It's definitely one of my favourite books and I recommend it to everyone!
Nilanjana Haldar
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I picked up “School of Greatness” when I first discovered who Lewis Howes was, which was through a friend in Facebook. I knew very little about Lewis, but after digging into his life, who he is, the struggles he overcame, the victories he made, I came to understand that at a certain level I resonated with Lewis. I had a baggage of struggles that matched his. And I was immediately intrigued by the person he was and bought the book right away, without a second thought, and began reading it as soon ...more
Venus Blancia
The School of Greatness is a conglomeration of individual's perspective definition of greatness. This book is confidently pushy as I think the real personality of Lewis Howes when one day he said to me, "read my book and tell me what you think". With all the promises about self-motivation and being great; then I believe one out so many note-worthy ideas this book has offered. One can always take his vision into reality by answering these questions:
"Who are you?"
"What do you stand for?"
"What's yo
Rusty Cox
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoy Lewis's podcast so I picked up this book. I felt most of it is a lot of cliche stuff about family and working hard mixed with some self congratulating. I did however find the exercises useful.
Dominic Gadoury
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lewis does such a good job at hitting all the points of what makes people Great...especially being in service to others.
Dhiran
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
School of Greatness by Lewis Howes is an inspiring practical read, reflecting personal life stories of himself and of fellow entrepreneurs, Lewis draws upon important lessons and exercises in creating a vision, overcoming adversity, developing the right mindset, importance of hustle, being fit and healthy, thinking positively, building a right team and of giving back to the society. A must read for entrepreneurs and aspiring entrepreneurs #BookLovers #LoveToRead #dntjbookclub #atozentrepreneursh ...more
Hieu Le
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The pacing of storytelling is a bit too slow for me. Also, the stories used in this book are not really memorable.
Michelle
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Love the authenticity and the stories included in this book which make it an easy read. I've read some personal development books before but I LOVE that this one actually includes exercises that you can start implementing in your life today.

Definitely a journey of self-reflection and insight when you read (which does require you to spend extra time & thought into it to get the most out of it.)
Melissa Covo
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lewis Howe’s has given me homework on how to become a better person, with daily habits, set my ten skills I want to learn. Has given me the tools to plan my success and small goals to reach along the way. Lewis has given me the tools to focus, to understand that I can be great if I set my mind to anything and hustle at it. I will start my morning routine because of him, I am motivated to have a stronger body because of him. He gave me many recommended books that I will read. And believe it or no ...more
Nikki Cummings
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great, interesting and easy read. I listened to it on audio. I would not recommend it be listened to, as the Author, Lewis Howes isn’t the best narrator. I would definitely recommend the book. Great profiles and healthy concepts.
Jaron Dunford
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-business
Notes from The School of Greatness

Like oxygen to a fire, obstacles become fuel for that which was their ambition. Every impediment served to make the inferno within them burn with even greater ferocity.

The impediment to action becomes the action. What stands in the way becomes the way

Every new challenge is likes learning a new language.

Greatness is the survival of your vision across an extended timeline, based on your willingness to do whatever it takes in the face of adversity and the ability t
Cathy Ferringo
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was much better than I expected. I listened to it on audiobook, read by the author. His communication style is open and non-judgemental. He walks you through 8 areas that he feels if you focus on, you'll achieve greatness. He gives real-life examples of people he knows and those he admires, researched and interviews. I've listened to his podcast and read his blogs before but I found that after reading this I was reaching out to find more content of his. I am definitely a Lewis Howes fa ...more
Emily Moore
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking to more clearly define those "next steps" that they would like to take in business, relationships, work, and fitness. A lot of people have grand aspirations but do not take the time or do not know how to go about defining the necessary steps that they need to take to accomplish those goals. Howes takes the reader through all of those steps so that by the end of the book, you have a game plan for how you would like to proceed. A great, motivat ...more
Tuila
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional truths and guides to help you be your best self!

Lewis shares his truth and things that hes learned from exceptional people in an approachable active book to assist you in your growth and life journey!!

Check him out on his podcast as well @theschoolofgreatness on all great media streaming sites.

Open your mind to other possibilities of living life and seeing yourself. Be challenged to see you you in your truest form!
Stephen Bernau
INCREDIBLE! Not every part of the book needs to be followed to the letter, but even if you chose to really focus on chapter one, intentionally implemented a few from the rest of the book, and just sat and pondered on the rest, you would be BLOWN AWAY! Great read and I will definitely be subscribing to the podcast!
Allyson Kuentz
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I recently discovered Lewis’ podcast of the same name. This book dives deeper into what he’s all about, helping everyone discover greatness. He provide realistic examples and how they can be immediately applied to your life. I highly recommend if you are looking for some motivation to kickstart your personal growth, business, or new year!
Joe Liss
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easy to digest and full of useful knowledge. Much like Lewis, this book screams positivity and definitely pushes you to do more. It gives you exercises each chapter to help you level up and provides plenty of examples of real world practitioners. If your starting a journey of self improvement this should be read early on in your adventure.
Meagan
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I found myself flagging page after page with notes to remember. Many points are not shocking, however it's the fact that they are validated and provided with ideas for expanding into your own life that make these points really hit home.
Ashley Oxford
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Lewis' podcast so wanted to give his book a try. I listened to The School of Greatness on audiobook. I found Howes' stories from his past and his family history and how he and his family overcame there troubles very inspiring!
Trista Ainsworth
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love all of the stories in this book and the specific exercises that will help move you forward.
Kevin Simpson-verger
Great book! Brings a lot of extraordinary peoples story into the book. Not sure if it's something I would recommend to friends as a MUST READ.
Akanksha Sharma
Oct 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
This is a very self promotional, me-me-me, extremely detailed and descriptive book. It's very poorly written and I would not recommend it.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was very inspirational and really gave me some great ideas about how to improve my life. One of the most important parts is to always have goals and work toward those goals.
MaximusIntoxicus
A Lot of anecdotal stories

This book could be condensed to about 10 pages of useful, original material. I am confused by the number of 5 star reviews.....
Hailey Morgan
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely life changing! READ IT!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Unshakeable: Your Financial Freedom Playbook
  • Limitless: Core Techniques to Improve Performance, Productivity, and Focus
  • The 10x Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
  • Crushing It!: How Great Entrepreneurs Build Their Business and Influence—and How You Can, Too
  • Think Like a Monk: Train Your Mind for Peace and Purpose Every Day
  • High Performance Habits: How Extraordinary People Become That Way
  • The Smart Money Woman
  • The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph
  • The Buddha and the Badass: The Secret Spiritual Art of Succeeding at Work
  • Organize Tomorrow Today: 8 Ways to Retrain Your Mind to Optimize Performance at Work and in Life
  • MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom
  • The Mindful Athlete: Secrets to Pure Performance
  • Born for This: How to Find the Work You Were Meant to Do
  • Third Circle Theory: Purpose Through Observation
  • Everything Is Figureoutable
  • The Desire Map
  • Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
  • The Promise of a Pencil: How an Ordinary Person Can Create Extraordinary Change

News & Interviews

“In reality, failure is simply feedback. It’s not that you are bad or not good enough or incapable. Failure (or feedback) gives you the opportunity to look at what’s not working and figure out how to make it work.” 10 likes
“John Wooden quote: “You show me your friends, and I’ll show you your future.” 9 likes