Start by marking “The Red Shoes and Other Tales” as Want to Read:

Read Book

The Red Shoes and Other Tales

Hardcover, First edition, 64 pages
Published October 13th 2015 by Papercutz

To ask other readers questions about The Red Shoes and Other Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Shoes and Other Tales

Start your review of The Red Shoes and Other Tales
Kimberly Francisco
The art was fine, technically good but seemed uninspired. The text was likewise, simplistic in the way fairy tales often are, but without the depth simple language can give. The Goodreads summary of the story has more depth than the story itself.

The "other stories" were also fine. Nothing to write home about.
Emerson and Theodore
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
Haunting stories, picked up at library as a children’s read and good I read first. Excellent excellent drawings.
Emilee
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I was privileged to read an advanced reader copy of this book. I had never read the classic story of the Red Shoes by Hans Christian Andersen. I started out sweet, simple and yet tragic. Then is got a little disturbing. I looked up the original text and it’s been altered. This is a graphic novel version. It’s about a girl who loves to dance and is given a pair of magical red shoes. It also includes a story called The Glass Case and The Little Match Girl. I enjoyed the illustrations. They are all ...more
Nicole
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic, ebooks
I just got this on noisetrade!!!

Oh so wonderful. This was such a fun and super easy read. It took me like five minutes to read it and the rest of the time I just admired the beautiful and a bit dark graphics.

I totally recommend this. Especially if you are like me and are still a young child at heart.
That was such a throwback to my childhood. Especially 'The Little Match Girl' story.
Felicia
I enjoyed the art style in this three story collection, especially the use of muted colors to emphasize the somber moods presented by each.

The Red Shoes was very well done. As an adult I would have liked to see more of the girl's physical decline as she was forced to dance and dance, but I can understand the decision to stay away from anything that might seen as grotesque or too graphic for the intended audience.

The second story, an original, is simple and heartbreaking.

Finally, The Little Mat
Susan
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
I count EVERY book I read, even if it's a kids' book, though this one is classified by the library as a graphic novel. I had never read "The Red Shoes," but a few mentions over the years gave me the feeling it wasn't a particularly happy tale. After reading this one and the other two included ("The Glass Case" and "The Little Match Girl"), I decided this was the children's version of Black Mirror. The "happy" endings here are a new take for this girl who grew up on the old Disney princesses. Of ...more
Alessandra
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The art in this book was eye catching, keeping me reading. I enjoyed the little bonus stories at the end! The translation (?) feels a little bit...off, most of the time. It's not awful, just midly incorrect at times. The wording makes this a bit more difficult to enjoy. I still loved reading this for a short while!
Kerfe
The graphic format works well for these three Hans Christian Anderson stories. The text is pared down and the images take center stage. I did not know the story "The Glass Case", a mirrored reversal of a doll coming to life. And I was moved, as I always am, by "The Little Match Girl", a heartbreaking story which manages to end with light and hope.
Christine
The adaptions of the two Anderson tales in this volume (the title story and The Little Match Girl) are faithful, so if you are looking for a complete re-invention, this isn’t it. What it is is a powerful illustration adaption of two tales as well as a tale about a boy and a doll. Powerful stories. Nicely illustrated.
Janet
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book contains 3 tales from Hans Christian Andersen.
1. The Red Shoes
2. The Glass Case
3. The Little Match Girl

They are beautifully illustrated, and very quick to read.
I'd recommend for older children and adults, not for young or sensitive children as one is a bit upsetting.
Miss Kelly
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a graphic novel of short stories that Hans Christian Anderson had written made into a graphic novel form. I really enjoyed this book. I also used it during one of my Tween book discussion groups and the tweens enjoyed it as well.
Maggie Gordon
The Red Shoes is a straight retelling of three fairy tales. The art is quite rich in colour with a strange anime-esque style that actually works rather well. While adults must not find stories they have already read many times compelling, this is a nice edition to give to a kid.
India
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Very interesting adaptation of these tales. The illustrations were gorgeous, but I feel like they lost a bit of the heart.
Charlie Keogh
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All 3 stories are beatifully written and the images are incredible and complement the sotry-telling perfectly
David Allison
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The figures in these stories are all strangely mannequin-like, and the colour palette remains dusky and muted even when depicting those moments where the fantastic disturbs the ordinary.

Perhaps this is only fitting - after all, this is a book in which pursuing the fulfillment of desire can only lead to mutilation, confinement and death.

It's good stuff. Y'know, for kids!
Heather
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales
No happily-ever-afters here!
Leigh Isley

Age Range: 2nd – 4th grades

This book is three modern day fairytales tales rolled up into one graphic novel. The first tale is based on Hans Christian Anderson’s story The Red Shoes. The story tells about a young girl who was born poor and now has a very sick mother who eventually dies. She has never had shoes and has to go barefoot everywhere she goes making her feet tired and sore. After her mother passes her aunt who is visually wealthier takes her in and buys her some new shoes. The shoes are
Jaina Rose
I'm not rating this book, because I know I'm so far from the ideal reader. This was a freebie I got at KidLitCon - it came in my book bag, so I didn't even realize I'd gotten it until I was home. I very much doubt I would have picked it up on my own. It comes out today, so I figured I should write down a few of my thoughts, just in case anyone else was interested in it.

The Red Shoes is a very short book, telling three small stories in comic-book format. Two of them ("The Red Shoes" and "The Litt
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Free from NoiseTrade

From Goodreads:
There once was a young girl, who was pretty but poor. So poor she had to go barefoot. Her name was Karen and she loved to dance. When Karen becomes an orphan, her great aunt takes her in. One day on a shopping trip, she is bought a beautiful pair of red shoes. The shoes magically come to life and steer Karen down a path she never would have imagined in her wildest dreams, or nightmares. This fresh take on the Hans Christian Andersen classic “The
Theediscerning
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great collection of three fairy tales in vivid and expertly designed graphic novel form. 'The Red Shoes' is just as unsettling as the original – the style coming to the fore in the last few pages as the girl goes without for a while – and the adaptation is both a little bit random (cars in Hans Christian Andersen…) and perfectly suited. The creators' original work has an obvious conclusion and problems with scale but is otherwise fine, and their version of 'The Little Match Girl' is charming, ...more
Mandy
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How great to see Hans Christian Anderson's "The Red Shoes" transformed into graphic novel format. I loved the dark, atmospheric drawings so fitting for retelling the tale and the period they depict.

What a bonus too with the other tales. I'd never read the Little Match Girl. Oh how sad but beautiful. Nicely drawn to eek out this poignant story.

I'd not sure of the origins of The Glass Case. I'm guessing another folk tale? Short but made me smile in the way that tales do.

These stories aren't too di
Nicola Mansfield
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had forgotten how deliciously morbid Hans Christian Andersen was! I love this gorgeous graphic novel. The "other tales" mentioned in the title are "The Glass Case" and "The Little Match Girl". These are the original stories with their macabre endings, though the matchstick girl is more bittersweet. Watch out for sensitive children as one ends with a girl getting her feet chopped off, the other with a real life boy turning into a wooden doll and finally, one where a poor little girl dies on the ...more
Jenn
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, ggn16
Pros: Minimal modernization is good. The middle story is nicely creepy. Kind of weird that there's no blood but understandable in an all-ages comic. Illustrations are moving and simple without being trite. Red really stands out in the first story.

Cons: While the limited color palette works in the first story, it really washes out the other two.

3 1/2 stars
Melle
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people for whom Andersen's tales fall under TL;DR
Recommended to Melle by: Publishers Weekly
If you're going to teach your kids how life is pretty unfair and miserable, you really can't go wrong with Andersen's fairytales. These graphic adaptations are standardly meh-to-okay in illustration and execution -- pretty but bland. Vaguely sinister if you consider their representation as a world without people of color.
Brenda Lower
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Retellings of three fairy tales by Andersen. Just a reminder, his fairy tales are not always meant for children, especially these. Slightly more dark in flavor, older kids and teens might enjoy these more than young kids.

The art work is beautiful, perfectly fitting the mood of the tales. Excellent retelling of these fairy tales! I would love to see more by this artist!
Halli
A good graphic novel intro. to two of Hans Christian Andersen's tales The Red Shoes and The Little Match Girl, along with an original tale, The Glass Case. These stories all lean a little to the creepy side, but are definitely less creepy than the original tales. Nice illustrations and color.
Beth
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-old-2015
What a beautifully illustrated book.

Metaphrog are Sandra Marrs and John Chalmers.

Together, they have been creating comics and graphic novels since 1996.
- See more at: http://www.metaphrog.com/about/#sthas...
Rita
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
It was okay. The text was alright, what you would expect out of a fairy tale, but perhaps a bit lacking and ambiguous at times. And while the illustrations were nice, I would have like them to be a bit more dynamic or interesting.
Kristin
Pretty and nice construction, but I wasn't familiar with two of these stories before reading. In total, they were all messed up. I split the difference with my rating, because it was done well, but it wasn't for me.
Andréa
The story of the red shoes is a little gruesome, of course, but this version of it is not overly gory.

• Blueberries for Sal
  • Fairy Tail, Vol. 04 (Fairy Tail, #4)
  • Fairy Tail, Vol. 03 (Fairy Tail, #3)
  • The Seven Deadly Sins, Vol. 1
  • The Substitute Millionaire (The Million Dollar Catch, #1)
  • Scott Pilgrim Free Comic Book Day Story
  • Tramps Like Us, Vol. 1
  • Fairy Tail, Vol. 05 (Fairy Tail, #5)
  • Hipster Death Rattle
  • The Sneetches and Other Stories
  • To Tame a Wild Heart
  • The Baby Proposal
  • The Lost Level
  • Wake Up and Dream
  • Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories
  • The Perfectly Fine House
  • Dance Class: So, You Think You Can Hip-Hop (Dance Class #1)
  • Widow's Point
Metaphrog are Franco-Scottish duo Sandra Marrs and John Chalmers, award-winning graphic novelists.

They are winners of The Sunday Herald Scottish Culture Awards 2016 for Best Visual Artist; Excelsior Award Junior 2018; SICBA Outstanding Achievement 2018 and multiple Eisner Awards nominees for their Louis graphic novels.

Their latest graphic novels are fairy tale adaptations The Red Shoes and Other T